As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[INTERSTELLAR] There are spoilers here.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Krieghund wrote: »
    The only thing that stands out as odd to me is the amount of time it takes to dry out the engines. The robot tells them 45 minutes. Coop then proceeds to bitch out Brand. We don't see a time skip, just here comes the next wave. The robot then says it's just a minute out and they blast dry the engines. We kind of lose half an hour there.

Maybe he said 4-5 minutes. You can't tell what the hell is being said in a Nolan film unless there is pure silence elsewhere. And even then...

I turn on the subtitles of every movie I watch at least once.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    I think Nolan has actually created time travel with this film. I went in for a 3 hour epic and came out feeling like I had been in that seat for several years. It's the first time ive had my legs go numb during a film.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    it might be that the theater I was in had it a little off

but some of the action scenes the dialog was very soft

• Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

No, I don't think it was just you. Mine was like that too. Also sometimes the emotional score got loud. Like really loud. Like louder than explosions and action scenes loud. I'm thinking in particular of the scene where Cooper leaves the farm for good in his truck.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Question:
    When all of the combines and farm machines came to the house, was that just due to the Gravity anomly or what that TARS sending his own messages from the tesseract to help to attempt convince everyone somrthing was up in Murph's room?

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    ronzo wrote: »
    Question:
    When all of the combines and farm machines came to the house, was that just due to the Gravity anomly or what that TARS sending his own messages from the tesseract to help to attempt convince everyone somrthing was up in Murph's room?

In an earlier draft, the drone and the combines all got pulled off course to the edge of the reservoir where the original means of getting the information on how to solve the gravity problem ended up: an unmanned probe that was sent in lieu of the Lazarus missions with some ludicrous homing beacon on it. The details of how that information ended up on the probe and why it wasn't spotted until much later were actually much weaker than the tesseract way of solving the problem story-wise, but without it the drone and combines make much less sense. If you want to read that early draft, here it is and here is a summary. It's still not a bad story with many shared aspects with the final version, and a few things that perhaps shouldn't have been changed in the end.

edit - note, summary isn't very well written

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Dis' wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    So, question:

I was a bit hazy on the relative geography of all these planets. The ones they visited were all in the same star system? And all of them happened to be in the habitable zone, and there was no actual main sequence star, just the black hole? Which was apparently like twenty times more massive than the supermassive black holes you find at the center of standard galaxies, yet still had planets orbiting it because movie

The black hole was explicitly described as "gentle" - relatively small, as black holes go.

Supposedly, this was the only reason that sending a probe inside of it was feasible at all.

Smaller black holes are more dangerous aren't they? Tighter gravitational gradients, more tightly churned accretion disks, more hawking decay.

Smaller is the wrong word. Lower in mass and lower in gravity.

For a black hole mass and radius of the event horizon are linked things, more massive => bigger => gentler gradients on the horizon in the absence of infalling matter.

You guys are right. I just read that earlier today. I did not know that before.

I learned something!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular

No, I don't think it was just you. Mine was like that too. Also sometimes the emotional score got loud. Like really loud. Like louder than explosions and action scenes loud. I'm thinking in particular of the scene where Cooper leaves the farm for good in his truck.

Yeah, I saw it a second time at a different screen and had the same problems hearing some dialog.

It's definitely a sound mixing decision they made, to have loud music and faint dialogue. After having seen it twice, it's definitely my main complaint about the film.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Question:

I believe all the gravitational anomalies on the farm were caused by Cooper/TARS

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    wazilla wrote: »
    Question:

I believe all the gravitational anomalies on the farm were caused by Cooper/TARS

What made the original wormhole ball thing? I got all the manipulations except that one.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Question:

What made the original wormhole ball thing? I got all the manipulations except that one.

The same fifth dimensional beings (probably far-future and/or transcended humans) who created the nexus inside of Gargantua.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Question:

The same fifth dimensional beings (probably far-future and/or transcended humans) who created the nexus inside of Gargantua.

Ooh, I forgot they were a thing.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    My only real complaint was them landing on waterworld at all. Really stupid call- even if it's safe, the dilation means it isn't really usable. By the time you get a usable colony going, the system outside will have decayed and made the planet unsafe (say, the nearby star going nova)

Actually, wouldn't the incoming light be extremely weird thanks to the time shift?

As far as the love/survival stuff goes...these are people speculating outside their field in emotional moments. Of course they aren't doing good science.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    TARS and the other robots were amazing in Interstellar, When first introduced they had character, but looked so ungainly and impractical. But as the movie goes on they're capabilities become more and more impressive, the way your perception of them changes over the course of the movie added so much to the film. These are the bots C3P0 wishes it could be.

• Options
    I'm disappointed they looked at the water world and thought "shithole." You would think they would at least be pleased to see the clean water and air, and say "okay noted but we need land and stuff too, lets move on."

• Options
    I'm disappointed they looked at the water world and thought "shithole." You would think they would at least be pleased to see the clean water and air, and say "okay noted but we need land and stuff too, lets move on."

When the water is clean because the entire planet is a giant dishwasher that scours it clean of life, that's a bit of a downside.

• Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    Saw this film earlier in a regular theater.

It was a good experience and I loved how you can make a movie about two inanimate objects docking with each other in space and still get a thrill / adrenalin-rush out of it.

In fact, the movie was so hot that the fire department showed up because there was a smell of burnt something building up in the theater. This happened in the last 20 minutes or so, but they kept the movie rolling.

My friend and I couldn't stop laughing when we got out afterwards and saw a couple of fire trucks pull up to the theater curb while everyone was evacuating the theater. Everyones else's movie night had just been ruined, but we got to see Interstellar and finish it because you never stop a a good movie midway through, a potential fire be damned.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

I saw it in IMAX, and a lot of the early dialogue was very soft and mumbly. I didn't notice it much after the first 30 minutes, or so. Not sure if it got better or if I just acclimated.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I saw it at the Imax at Universal City Walk, and it was so loud I actually had to work my jaw around to get my ears to pop. But it was awesome.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Sarcastic robots are the best kind of robot.

Saw this on IMAX earlier and loved it. Some parts were slow, some a little hokey, but over all I really liked the movie. After it was all over though it felt like I took a giant punch to the feels.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I fucking loved the robots. Where did their design come from? I haven't seen anything like them in a movie

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I fucking loved the robots. Where did their design come from? I haven't seen anything like them in a movie

Yeah, they start out looking so clunky and simple, and then all of the sudden CARTWHEELS BITCHEZZZZZZ!!!!

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I don't know. Guess we'll see on the special features of the bluray release.

Meantime, modulat robot designs are weird: http://youtu.be/uIn-sMq8-Ls

• Options
    I want a TARS and CHASE buddy cop movie. They are probably Nolan's best creation yet.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Just got back from it. There's a pretty great 2 hour movie in there.

I think most of the stuff in the middle should have been cut. Specifically, everything involving Matt Damon. It just dragged on and wasn't particularly interesting, and the same effect would have been gained by just having an accident happen when landing on the second planet and finding out it was uninhabitable as well. Save us 45 minutes of space madness.

Also the audio mix being completely terrible, to the point where if there was any music or loud collision sounds all of the dialogue was completely incomprehensible or drowned out entirely.

It was ok.

Aistan on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    After this film, Man of Steel, and The Dark Knight Rises, I feel assured in saying that Christopher Nolan is like a very sad robot that is utterly fascinated with human emotion but just can't understand it.

• Options
    Man of Steel, wasnt that the crazy guy?

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Awww... I really dug this movie. Teh feels, holy shit. Sooo.... The science is less than perfect, but it was p great.

Edit: I had zero audio issues.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options

Snyder directed, but Nolan produced and brother Johnny wrote it.

• Options
    redx wrote: »
    Awww... I really dug this movie. Teh feels, holy shit. Sooo.... The science is less than perfect, but it was p great.
    The science is pretty spot on, especially the spherical worm hole which is as accurate of a portrayal as you're going to get until humanity actually finds one.

• Options

Yeah, they start out looking so clunky and simple, and then all of the sudden CARTWHEELS BITCHEZZZZZZ!!!!

Like, there exists a robot that can run at, like, 60 mph using cartweel mode. Of course that is all it does. No like breaking off fractal arms or anything.

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    The science is pretty spot on, especially the spherical worm hole which is as accurate of a portrayal as you're going to get until humanity actually finds one.

I guess. If you want to totally handwave humanities agricultural ass kicking ability, love powered time travel, and space ships with obscene delta V.

• Options
    Serious crazy feels, but the whole humans finally managing to get off the earth and death by falling into a singularly does that.

• Options
    edited November 2014

According to Kip Thorne, he can get at least 2 research papers written from the production of the visuals of the wormhole and blackhole.

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/astrophysics-interstellar-black-hole/

Veevee on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

It was Goyer who wrote it.

Nolan had very little to do with the final state of the film. He was also the guy who argued against Superman killing.

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »

According to Kip Thorne, he can get at least 2 research papers written from the production of the visuals of the wormhole and blackhole.

So, the created the world's only non ray based ray tracer render engine to make the black hole? That's the craziest thing I've heard about this movie yet.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »

It was Goyer who wrote it.

Nolan had very little to do with the final state of the film. He was also the guy who argued against Superman killing.

You won't find me racing to defend Goyer. He's yet another in a long line of upward-failing weirdos that Warners likes to keep hanging around.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Veevee wrote: »

Interstellar was some amazing science married to some questionable science and also some straight up hand-wavy metaphysics.

Mostly, the science that wasn't directly related to time dilation or what a black hole or wormhole would look like was typical Hollywood blockbuster bullshit.

I can forgive most of that, though, since this was, you know, a Hollywood blockbuster and not an episode of Cosmos.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So are we supposed to think that Dishwasher World was once earth-like, but ridiculous tides and massive waves completely leveled off the land and all the dissolved minerals made the water dense enough wade knee deep?

Seal on
  • Options
    I think it was just -that- shallow, presumably because all the water was in the giant waves.

What that would do to the surface, though...