Options

The Ryan Davis Memorial Giant Bomb Thread

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    People who play Smash as SERIOUS BUSINESS are legit crazy people

Why? What is it about this particular game that makes it weird to want to get really good at it?

I didn't say anything about getting good at it. I'm talking about FINAL DESTINATION NO ITEMS ONLY IS THE PURE AND THE LIGHT

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    That doesn't really exist, that's been meme-d into oblivion

No items is perfectly reasonable if you wanna just focus on the core fighting mechanics, which are incredibly satisfying on their own, and limiting the number of stages to predictable and static settings to avoid hazards getting in the way

Final Destination is nowhere near the most popular competitive-level stage, either

It makes Smash Bros into a wholly skill-based game, removing the luck aspect of it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    It's hard to buy into SMASH IS SRS BIZNESS! from a bunch of people that insist on having a Gamecube controller to play it. :P

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Beltaine wrote: »
    It's hard to buy into SMASH IS SRS BIZNESS! from a bunch of people that insist on having a Gamecube controller to play it. :P

...what? What difference does that make?

How is that any different from people who won't play first-person shooters without a keyboard and mouse?

It's their own personal optimal control setting that they've been playing with for almost 15 years

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I hate what this thread has become.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular

The Gamecube controller is a great controller for the games designed around its layout. Playing the 3DS version with the traditional 4-button controller layout actually felt weird to me.

I'm not even a huge Smash Bros fan. I just find this idea that it's a series that couldn't or shouldn't be played competitively just completely ridiculous.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    zdthsfth wrote: »
    Do we dare hope for some 3 AM high level Windjammers play this year? 81.gif

Huh?

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    zdthsfth wrote: »
    Do we dare hope for some 3 AM high level Windjammers play this year? 81.gif

Huh?

Spambot.

• Options

The Gamecube controller is a great controller for the games designed around its layout. Playing the 3DS version with the traditional 4-button controller layout actually felt weird to me.

I'm not even a huge Smash Bros fan. I just find this idea that it's a series that couldn't or shouldn't be played competitively just completely ridiculous.

The fact that it looks like a random clusterfuck to a person that hasn't played it probably lends more to that than anything.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Some kid beat a well-known Smash player. The rules were items on (travesty!), kid was playing ROB (bad tier character) whereas the Smash pro was playing a more better regarded character. Afterwards, the entire Smash competitive community rallied to bully the kid into handing over the prize to the Smash pro, who, because of his more traditional character choice "deserved to win more".

• Options
    Wow - that is some bullshit.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Man nobody 'deserves to win'.
    Ugh.
    Also I like smash more than other fighting games because of the chaos caused by the levels going nuts and items randomly appearing.
    I can see how other people would like a more consistent and skill-based affair, but I've always been a fan of things just going bananas at random times.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Some kid beat a well-known Smash player. The rules were items on (travesty!), kid was playing ROB (bad tier character) whereas the Smash pro was playing a more better regarded character. Afterwards, the entire Smash competitive community rallied to bully the kid into handing over the prize to the Smash pro, who, because of his more traditional character choice "deserved to win more".
    wait, what? do you have a source for this because I really want to know the details

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Of COURSE Dan's MariAmiibo is in the Star-Spangled Overalls.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    wait, what? do you have a source for this because I really want to know the details
    ya me too, holy shit.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Beating people with low tier characters in fighting games is something everyone should root for, not the other way around. Snake Eyez Evo 2014 never forget.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    The competitive Smash community seems like a group you really want to distance yourself from if you want to have any fun playing the game with other skilled players. They just seem insufferable about so many things.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular

The fact that it looks like a random clusterfuck to a person that hasn't played it probably lends more to that than anything.

All controllers look like random clusterfucks to people who aren't used to them. This isn't anything new. The Gamecube controller is actually designed to be more friendly to new players than the traditional diamond layout, as it draws they eyes and thumbs to the big green A button that, in a game designed to make the best use of the controller, would be the button the player uses the most, with B being the secondary button and X and Y performing tertiary functions.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    Okay, I love that the Smash Bros quicklook turned into Zelda.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    ya me too, holy shit.

It was EVO 2008.

I don't recall anybody bullying CPU over his win that year, but the Smash community as a whole basically wrote off and screamed about the tournament from the moment of its inception and was very... VERY upset that it was taking place at all because it had items on.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

...what? What difference does that make?

How is that any different from people who won't play first-person shooters without a keyboard and mouse?

It's their own personal optimal control setting that they've been playing with for almost 15 years

or, more accurately, how is it any different from the EVO champ at SF this year using a ps1 pad because it's what works for him

• Options
    Finally watching last week's Unprofessional Friday and it's a good Jackbox quicklook. But then I like most things with Danny in them.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

All controllers look like random clusterfucks to people who aren't used to them. This isn't anything new. The Gamecube controller is actually designed to be more friendly to new players than the traditional diamond layout, as it draws they eyes and thumbs to the big green A button that, in a game designed to make the best use of the controller, would be the button the player uses the most, with B being the secondary button and X and Y performing tertiary functions.

Actually, I was talking about the game specfically, not the GC controller.

I realized that I really like HOTAS for flight sims, and wheels for racing games, and people like fighting sticks for fighting games, so if a GC controller is what people want for Smash, then more power to them. I retract my statement on that subject.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular

Not sure if you're talking about the little girl in Gamestop video, but that was proven as fake.
    http://kotaku.com/how-gamestops-karissa-the-destroyer-smash-bros-stunt-w-1662143482

If not, then disregard this post...

• Options

Actually, I was talking about the game specfically, not the GC controller.

I realized that I really like HOTAS for flight sims, and wheels for racing games, and people like fighting sticks for fighting games, so if a GC controller is what people want for Smash, then more power to them. I retract my statement on that subject.

Smash is only chaotic when you add items and stage hazards into a big 4-way battle. Without those, 1-on-1 Smash isn't any crazier-looking than some of the flashier 2D fighting games, and that's what competitive types play.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I actually have a much easier time discerning what is going on in Smash Bros than Marvel VS Capcom 3.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Watching Nick Robinson play Captain Toad makes me want a quick look, but I don't know who should sit with Alex for super cute stuff since Ryan passed.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    jclast wrote: »
    Watching Nick Robinson play Captain Toad makes me want a quick look, but I don't know who should sit with Alex for super cute stuff since Ryan passed.

It'll probably be Dan and Jeff, maybe Brad.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

Give it to me now.
    (Also, please package it in with a PS4/Xbone/new PC so I can actually play it)

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I'm 10 minutes into the Geometry Wars 3 quick look and it's really making me want to get it.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    jclast wrote: »

I said the same thing with the Freedom Wars QL that Jason has been working to do for weeks at this point: I have no issue with tagging in a guest to run a QL like Greg Miller from IGN, who played lots of Freedom Wars and liked it and theoretically could show it off.

Hell, GB had Arthur Gies on a Kinect title QL. Tag Nick Robinson in once, now that he's a free agent.

edit: Oh, duh. All of GB will be in SF soon. Get Vinny on that QL with Alex: GBEast Incepting GBWest.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Danny has no idea...

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Godspeed, young O'Dwyer.

I hope we get a documentary when he gets back, David Attenborough-style.

• Options
    I am praising every pantheon I can think of for Geometry Wars 3 looking awesome

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So I guess this means no Dan/ny for the pre-Thanksgiving stream this year.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Next time I'm at PAX, I'm totally asking Dan where the idea for inviting Danny to Thanksgiving came from. Like, there had to be SOME crazy conversation that lead to it.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I am betting there was just a Dan excited puppy response to Danny saying he never did a huge thing for thanksgiving, wanting to show him "how it's done"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I can almost guarantee it was this:

Danny: We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Ireland.
    Dan: COME TO MY HOUSE!

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.