As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Build Thread] - What happens if I stick my screwdriver th- *bzzt*

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    verbel wrote: »
    A GTX780 should fairly easily outdo two 6950s in Crossfire.
    So if you want to buy a new card, a 4GB 970? If you can get a reasonable price for the good 6950 on Ebay or wherever, you could get yourself a nice little upgrade for quite a good price.

I though about getting another 6950, but I kinda want to go away from a 2 card setup for a while.

Yeah, I am getting the feeling from reading around over the last couple of years that I made the right choice not to SLI my GTX680. Just too many fucking hassles. Better off spending the money on one beastly card (like a GTX970) that can do what you want, and keeping noise, heat, and power consumption down at the same time.

Yeah, I kinda regret SLIing my rig. When I upgrade I'm gonna go for one really beefy card so I'm prolly gonna hold out for a 980ti unless they end up a 2016 thing.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's looking like the Asus GTX970 is going to be forever rare in Canada. Is there anything compareable in terms of noise and power consumption on the GTX970 line?

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    verbel wrote: »
    A GTX780 should fairly easily outdo two 6950s in Crossfire.
    So if you want to buy a new card, a 4GB 970? If you can get a reasonable price for the good 6950 on Ebay or wherever, you could get yourself a nice little upgrade for quite a good price.

I though about getting another 6950, but I kinda want to go away from a 2 card setup for a while.

Yeah, I am getting the feeling from reading around over the last couple of years that I made the right choice not to SLI my GTX680. Just too many fucking hassles. Better off spending the money on one beastly card (like a GTX970) that can do what you want, and keeping noise, heat, and power consumption down at the same time.

Yeah, I kinda regret SLIing my rig. When I upgrade I'm gonna go for one really beefy card so I'm prolly gonna hold out for a 980ti unless they end up a 2016 thing.

yeah, waiting for SLI/crossfire driver support never seemed like a hurdle i wanted to deal with. gimme dat single gpu

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Dritz wrote: »
    It's looking like the Asus GTX970 is going to be forever rare in Canada. Is there anything compareable in terms of noise and power consumption on the GTX970 line?

tigerdirect claims they have it in stock right at this precise second I'm typing, for what it's worth, and not marked up as much as other places:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9494754&CatId=7387

(otherwise, the MSI one is reputedly roughly equivalent, as far as I recall)

djmitchella on
  • Options

tigerdirect claims they have it in stock right at this precise second I'm typing, for what it's worth, and not marked up as much as other places:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9494754&CatId=7387

(otherwise, the MSI one is reputedly roughly equivalent, as far as I recall)

Groovy thanks. I gotta figure out how to cancel my order from NCIX that I made a few weeks ago though, so hopefully it isn't out of stock by then :(. I'll have to keep an eye on tiger direct, for some reason it does not appear on pcpartpicker for the card.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Update: I put in one of my old Nvidia cards to use for Physx, and now the system won't post again. I suspect the issue has something to do with the PSU cabling - last time I solved it by unplugging and replugging all the cables from the PSU. I've done that a couple of times now, though, and no dice. Will persevere, and at worst I'll take out the second GPU again.

There's obviously power to the mainboard and fans, because those come on immediately, and after 5-10 seconds they power down to a lower setting. That's all it does now, and that's what it did yesterday before posting.

:?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Just checking; You are using 2 Nvidia cards, right? :P

• Options
    Yup, I am. :)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    some people believe the titan z to be a beefy card.

http://cdn.overclock.net/0/01/01f6baf4_966gIHQ.jpeg

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Needs some sriracha. Or Tabasco at least.

• Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    My Christmas gift this year from my wife will be new components for my rig!
    It's a bit aged now, and needs quite a bit of help.
    I'm not sure what would give me the most bang for the buck.
    I have a limit of $400.

Here's my specs:
    i7 860
    Nvidia 550TI
    8GB Ram
    1 TB WD HDD
    500 W PSU

I'm thinking of going one of two ways, either new video card and small SSD, or new mobo, cpu and ram.
    Any thoughts are appreciated!

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Krummith wrote: »
    I have a limit of $400.

Here's my specs:
    i7 860
    Nvidia 550TI
    8GB Ram
    1 TB WD HDD
    500 W PSU

I'm thinking of going one of two ways, either new video card and small SSD, or new mobo, cpu and ram.

I can't say much about the cpu but for $400 you can get some decent performance increase out of an SSD and a new video card

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Krummith wrote: »
    I have a limit of $400.

Here's my specs:
    i7 860
    Nvidia 550TI
    8GB Ram
    1 TB WD HDD
    500 W PSU

Seeing as a 550Ti is kind of a crummy card these days, upgrading to anything more modern will blow it out of the water. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Y6Dy4D

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, I would go SSD (256 GB if possible) and video card.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the input. I think I'll go the SSD and video card route. I'm thinking of going with a Nvidia 970 and a 120 SSD. Using it for the OS and such and my 1TB HDD for everything else. Current SSDs support IDE settings right? I don't think my mobo supports ACHI. In my research I read that there would be some loss of speed, but it would still work as a boot disc. I just want to make sure I'm right before I go and order anything.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I ended up getting an R9 280x for about $250

Pretty good, higher detail more frames. Still not dominating WoW in the most extreme situations, but a major improvement

• Options
    RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    Some of those parts are light on the instructions. For the Fractal R4 case fans, should they be plugged into the motherboard or connected to the case fan controller?

3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Riqa wrote: »
    Some of those parts are light on the instructions. For the Fractal R4 case fans, should they be plugged into the motherboard or connected to the case fan controller?

Either one will work. Personally have mine plugged into the motherboard so that it can control speeds. I used to have them connected to the fan controller and I never used it, I literally forgot the case had a fan controller, so I clearly wasn't getting anything out of connecting the fans to it.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Riqa wrote: »

Yep, totally preference, but I'd agree with Gaslight. Connected to fan controller is manual control (but easy to change with the flick of a switch), whereas connecting to the MOBO will require software to change fan speeds (usually built into the MOBO software), but once it sets up you can have the fan speeds ramp up with load automatically... So six of one, half dozen of the other. All down to personal preference.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

on a steak? Monster.

• Options
    I think I've figured out what the problem is: the combination of the Fractal Define R4 Black Pearl, Asus Z97-A and Corsair H100i isn't ideal. In practical terms, this means that the radiator/fan combo at the top of the case pushes down on what seems to be the EPU (see the pic linked here). It has a bit of give, but if the fan pushes one milimeter too far, the mainboard won't post, and it can just switch off in the middle of what it's doing. Which is obviously not ideal.

As far as I can see, I have at least two options: 1) shave off a couple of mm's from the bottom of the fan's plastic frame, or 2) replace one of the two radiator fans with a slimmer but also less effective 20mm fan. Do I understand correctly that those are my options? Are there any more? And, if so, what would you recommend?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    I think I've figured out what the problem is: the combination of the Fractal Define R4 Black Pearl, Asus Z97-A and Corsair H100i isn't ideal. In practical terms, this means that the radiator/fan combo at the top of the case pushes down on what seems to be the EPU (see the pic linked here). It has a bit of give, but if the fan pushes one milimeter too far, the mainboard won't post, and it can just switch off in the middle of what it's doing. Which is obviously not ideal.

As far as I can see, I have at least two options: 1) shave off a couple of mm's from the bottom of the fan's plastic frame, or 2) replace one of the two radiator fans with a slimmer but also less effective 20mm fan. Do I understand correctly that those are my options? Are there any more? And, if so, what would you recommend?

I guess (depending on the locations of everything) you could maybe relocate the rad-fan combo somewhere else... Though usually with the all-in-one's you're pretty limited by hose length.

I think I would lean toward trying to modify the existing fan frame to allow for the clearance. A couple mm of the side in question shouldn't be too detrimental to the fan, and if it all goes to hell you always have the option of replacing that fan with something slimmer.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Shaving a couple mm off the fan frame with a knife or whatever shouldn't hurt anything. It's not like they undergo a whole lotta stress or anything. Depending on how much material you take off and where you're stripping plastic off of you may wanna be careful about tightening down the screws but that's about it.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Thanks. A box cutter should do the trick for slicing off a few mm's, I'd imagine. Great opportunity to cut myself - I have a history of anointing new hardware with a few drops of my blood. :D I don't see anywhere else in the case where I could put the rad-fan combo, at least not without major contortions.

Anyway, I'm glad that it seems to be this simple. I was already worried that there was some mystery thing that was wrong with how I'd put everything together and I'd have to get in a PC doc to fix it for me.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

on a steak? Monster.

If I'm served something as tough to eat as what was in that picture, you better be damn sure I'm soaking it in sauces. All the sauces.

• Options
    Thanks. A box cutter should do the trick for slicing off a few mm's, I'd imagine. Great opportunity to cut myself - I have a history of anointing new hardware with a few drops of my blood. :D I don't see anywhere else in the case where I could put the rad-fan combo, at least not without major contortions.

Anyway, I'm glad that it seems to be this simple. I was already worried that there was some mystery thing that was wrong with how I'd put everything together and I'd have to get in a PC doc to fix it for me.

Ya, that pressure on the MOBO was a good find, be sure to let us congratulate you when it POSTS!

• Options
    I have a history of anointing new hardware with a few drops of my blood.

great, now it has a taste for it :P

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Bah, the headphone jack in the front of my R4 is having shorting out issues. I'm not sure if there's anything to do on my end (i assume it's a contact issue because you can wiggle it back in), and I don't think I want to deal with tearing everything apart, sending the case back (assuming I can. I bought it in the summer) and then putting it all back together again.

hell, I'd be happy with figuring out how to to get it to run sound to speakers and headphones simultaneously from the back, then i can just turn my speaker volume down when I want to headphone and that way I'm not constantly pulling a plug.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I think this is what you want to do:

• Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular

Memory Express has good stock on the Asus STRIX 970

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Excision wrote: »

Memory Express has good stock on the Asus STRIX 970

Yah that's new like today :(, the day after I ordered and had it shipped from tiger direct (for $10 more with $20 shipping).

I guess if you are in the Edmonton area and are looking for this card than I accept your thanks for my bad luck.

• Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    Naw, I picked up the EVGA SuperClocked ACX2.0 version from them a couple weeks ago.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Is getting a Samsung 850 Pro over an 840 EVO worth it? $210 for a solid 500gb SSD sounds great to me, but if there's some compelling reason to go with the 850 Pro instead I guess I'll settle for 256gb.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    500 GB 840 Evo for $210, vs an 850 Pro with half the storage? Samsung has a good name all around for SSD's as far as I know.

I think I'd go with the 840 if it were me, and my money.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    840 EVO is the way to go there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Just bear in mind that if you go with the 840 Evo, make sure you download the Samsung Performance Restoration software (scroll down a bit, it'll be the third category from the top).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Just bear in mind that if you go with the 840 Evo, make sure you download the Samsung Performance Restoration software (scroll down a bit, it'll be the third category from the top).

That's just a firmware update though, no?

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That's part of it. It also apparently rewrites the data that was on the drive, too. Not sure what all else it does, but it would probably be a good idea to run it on any newly purchased EVO drive.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Related question - 840 EVO 500GB or Crucial MX100 512GB for basically the same amount of money?

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Related question - 840 EVO 500GB or Crucial MX100 512GB for basically the same amount of money?

If it were me I'd lean towards the MX100.

With the firmware/Performance Restoration fix the EVO will have an edge in sheer read/write speed, but the MX100 has better support for advanced encryption and more hardware based failsafes to prevent dataloss.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
This discussion has been closed.