Options

[Final Fantasy] is focused on Fighting Games and Freemium funfests

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    13-2 had the best FF soundtrack of the post-ps1 era.

Obligatory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

This is the worst thing I ever heard in my life

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Obligatory.

And you have to pay EXTRA for it in Theatrythm. :D

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    RE: Music

I think it's a trend in the industry in general not just FF/Square. Everyone now does movie scores (or apes Zimmer) in AAA games. Which is a shame, I think only Nintendo does interesting stuff with music. IMHO, Gusty Garden is as legendary as the Super Mario theme. Hell, DKC:TF has an AMAZING soundtrack.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular

I think it's a trend in the industry in general not just FF/Square. Everyone now does movie scores (or apes Zimmer) in AAA games. Which is a shame, I think only Nintendo does interesting stuff with music. IMHO, Gusty Garden is as legendary as the Super Mario theme. Hell, DKC:TF has an AMAZING soundtrack.

FF13 and 13-2 don't sound like movies to me, especially 13-2. It's so eclectic and distinctive. Bravely Default also has a phenomenal soundtrack.

But I agree that Nintendo is killing it with their music lately.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    The absolute definitive choccobo theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH2P-AmiIrw

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I'm just a sucker for that ukelele.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    physi_marc wrote: »

FF13 and 13-2 don't sound like movies to me, especially 13-2. It's so eclectic and distinctive. Bravely Default also has a phenomenal soundtrack.

But I agree that Nintendo is killing it with their music lately.

Well yeah, you're right on that. I was thinking maybe on FF12. To be honest it has one of the best Final boss themes in the series. So much stuff going on in there with the main theme even weaved in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PjEN-zFlDQ

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I still tear up when I hear the theme to FF9 and I never even finished that game.

FF9's music is some of the best

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

Obligatory.

It is in fact the only DLC song I actually bought for Curtain Call.

• Options
    edited January 2015

Obligatory.

It is in fact the only DLC song I actually bought for Curtain Call.

you was robbed :P

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I unironically love Crazy Chocobo and I can't keep my hands steady in CC because I'm too busy laughing.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Speaking of Curtain Call:
    BMS - Final Fantasy VII - Opening Bombing Mission
    BMS - Final Fantasy XIV - Primal Judgement (Ifrit)
    BMS - Xenogears - Flight
    BMS - SaGa Frontier - Last Battle -T260G-
    FMS - Sword of Mana ~Final Fantasy Adventure~ - In Search of the Sacred Sword
    BMS - Seiken Densetu 3 - Sacrifice Part Three

Goddamit Square don't you goddamn only put one song from Xenogears in there.

And make some goddamn XG characters! It takes, what, five minutes to make a Curtain Call character?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Frog and Purim too, please.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    It probably takes at least fifteen minutes to make a new character. They have to set up the abilities and everything too!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular

I totally disagree. XIII-2's OST is the weakest of the trilogy, IMO. XIII has almost 100% awesome tracks, and LR does some branching out in terms of styles that works really well. XIII-2 just felt like a shittier version of XIII's soundtrack to me, save for a few good ones.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    BMS - Xenogears - Flight

And make some goddamn XG characters! It takes, what, five minutes to make a Curtain Call character?

I bought a good number of the new DLC for Curtain Call, Crazy Chocobo included. I love that song.

I agree on the DLC for Curtain Call being weak this time around. They gave us 10 songs a couple of weeks ago and I bought most of them (yay Bravely Default). Xenogears could've easily used the normal battle and boss songs, though Flight is a definite purchase. Secret of Mana could easily use the boss and Dark Lich themes. Just based on the names, I'm not too familiar with the SaGa Frontier and Seiken Densetsu 3 tracks. I still think the battle music for SaGa Frontier and the PS2 release of Romancing Saga need to be includes eventually and I'd love to get High Tension Wire from SD3.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited January 2015
    It is done! What a ride :)

llcteiltd5jb.png

lionheart_m on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    BMS - Xenogears - Flight

I bought a good number of the new DLC for Curtain Call, Crazy Chocobo included. I love that song.

I agree on the DLC for Curtain Call being weak this time around. They gave us 10 songs a couple of weeks ago and I bought most of them (yay Bravely Default). Xenogears could've easily used the normal battle and boss songs, though Flight is a definite purchase. Secret of Mana could easily use the boss and Dark Lich themes. Just based on the names, I'm not too familiar with the SaGa Frontier and Seiken Densetsu 3 tracks. I still think the battle music for SaGa Frontier and the PS2 release of Romancing Saga need to be includes eventually and I'd love to get High Tension Wire from SD3.

I'm hoping that stuff from Treasure of the Rudras eventually makes it into the game.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Fuck Xenogears give me more Chrono Trigger!

And playable Crono!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    All the post ps1 era has nothing on Dancing Mad.

I could explain it myself but this guy explains it best:
    http://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-vi-s-dancing-mad-a-critical-analysis-157570.phtml

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I'm also fond of To Zanarkand, but Uematsu's work is some of the best video game music out there, period. I would kill for a complete set of all his works.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    In terms of tracks that are less known than the big ones, I was always a fan of Rebel Army.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqCxgB3V2E0

Even though FFII is among the lowest in my FF rankings for being fun to play.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I always loved the music for ultimecia's castle, especially the beginning. Something about how the lighter flourish at the beginning just drops to some dracula gets me every time. I also like the triple triad theme. Many times I just left the game to get a drink or something in the middle of a game and one time my mom pretty much flipped out on me because she had the music stuck in her head.

Another funny story about parents and FF was one time my dad was reading the paper or something while i was playing 7 and I had just made a green chocobo and it was like name him and i was like i dunno what to name him. My dad without skipping a beat was like "name him butch". I didnt even know he was following what I was doing but from then on all green chocobos were named butch.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

Obligatory.

I will fight you.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I'm also fond of To Zanarkand, but Uematsu's work is some of the best video game music out there, period. I would kill for a complete set of all his works.

This, without the killing.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Theatrhythm Talk: I just killed 12 enemies playing One Winged Angel on Expert. Killing Seph twice during his own tune feels pretty good.

Houn on
  • Options
    Speaking of Theatrhythm, I had a breakthrough and can finally clear BMS on Ultimate. Of course, I can't get anything higher than an A, but it's a start. I'm slowly making my way through every single song (including FMS, which I could clear on Ultimate before, but just hadn't bothered doing them all).

• Options
    So, before I break my cartridge in half and hang myself in the shower I just want to confirm...

Curtain Call does NOT actually have Chocobo Ukelele and the FF9 Title Screen tracks in it?

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    So, before I break my cartridge in half and hang myself in the shower I just want to confirm...

Curtain Call does NOT actually have Chocobo Ukelele and the FF9 Title Screen tracks in it?

Yes to FF9 Title Track - it's called A Place to Call Home and it's an FMS.

No to FF9 Ukelele de Chocobo. :(

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options

Yes to FF9 Title Track - it's called A Place to Call Home and it's an FMS.

No to FF9 Ukelele de Chocobo. :(

I will hang myself halfway then.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    So, what play style are you all using? I find that for BMS, I generally prefer button all the way, but FMS is tricky. I tried playing it button, but on those long slides that end with a swipe, I can never get a good hit; it's like, if I'm holding the circle pad "down" to slide down the slope, and the swipe at the end is an "up", I'm gonna get a "Bad" when it reads that down motion. So, I generally play FMS with the stylus, but still have issues with those end-swipes getting misread because I'm still executing the slide.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Stylus on all FMS and on Expert BMS. Buttons on Ultimate BMS. I vastly prefer using the stylus, but I just can't do it on Ultimate BMS, especially the alternating tap/swipe sections.

Yeah, I also can't get the end swipes on FMS with buttons. I think you're supposed to release the circle pad just before the end swipe (while still holding the slide button), but I can't get the timing right.

physi_marc on
  • Options
    Stylus on everything. The only stuff I have trouble with is the direction swipes.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    How do you have a music game and not Vama'alla Flamenco? Or Time's Scar, I don't care what else you have to say about Chrono Cross (I like it, but whatever), that song is awesome.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    I would buy the hell out of the Chrono Cross theme.

• Options
    Although I love Time's Scar, I love The Dream that Time Dreams even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRJCEpesgZk

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    And Time of the Dreamwatch. And Star Stealing Girl...

The Chrono Cross soundtrack is suuuuuuper good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also seeing that vid just reminded me that I had to be a dick to Kid to get Glenn. And I NEEDED Glenn in my party.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Not one, but TWO Excalibur's.

Chrono/Glenn/WHO CARES YOU HAVE X-STRIKE.

• Options
    Type-0 CE will be sold at Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/final-fantasy-type-0-hd-collectors-edition-playstation-4/2510085.p?id=1219544547189&skuId=2510085&_requestid=329868

This is what I was hoping for when I signed up for GCU with its $30 promotion. At 20% off this Collector's Edition, the membership immediately pays for itself.

This discussion has been closed.