Options

[Xenoblade Chronicles X] looks to be a pretty good game.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Yeah, either he has robo-crotch, or his entire lower half is prosthetic?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    It's weird, layered trousers, guys. Do you even fashion?

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I think this Wikipedia page might be relevant and instructive.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Wasn't sure where to post this, but this thread seems as good a fit as any. I have a disc copy of Xenoblade that I've not yet played, but I'm also looking at getting a N3DS XL when it comes out. Are there significant differences between the two, or any reason to play one version over another? Or does it just come down to which control scheme you prefer?

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Wasn't sure where to post this, but this thread seems as good a fit as any. I have a disc copy of Xenoblade that I've not yet played, but I'm also looking at getting a N3DS XL when it comes out. Are there significant differences between the two, or any reason to play one version over another? Or does it just come down to which control scheme you prefer?

A lot of it probably just depends on your tolerance for using the 3DS for long gaming sessions.

Xenoblade has a ton of content. For a full 100% everything clear you could easily be looking at upwards of 200 hours. Whether or not you want to do that in front of a TV or a 3DS is up to personal preference.

If I end up with a n3DS, I will more than likely pick up Xenoblade on principal, but playing it on a big TV would be my first choice.

Also, I have no idea how well the 3D effect will be in the n3DS version. It's not like Xenoblade was a high rez game to begin with (still gorgeous though), but the'd need to utilize it fairly well to compensate for seeing the massive vistas on such a small screen.

Also also, IMO the Wii version should be played with the classic controller, so the control scheme between the two shouldn't be super different.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    So jelly.

http://nintendoeverything.com/xenoblade-soundtrack-is-an-early-benefit-for-xenoblade-chronicles-3d-in-japan/
    fthA2ed.jpg

Nintendo is preparing a special bonus for those who purchase an early copy of Xenoblade Chronicles 3D in Japan. Those who pick up the game around launch will receive the game’s soundtrack, which was originally made available when the Wii game came out a few years ago. A similar bonus has not been announced for the west

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    While neat, I imported the original a while ago. Interestingly, "Beyond the Sky" is still sung in English on it.

And that says "special" soundtrack so I'm guessing it isn't the full four-CD release anyway.

• Options
  • Options
    http://nintendoeverything.com/xenoblade-chronicles-x-details-world-size-battle-system-gamepad-usage-and-more/
    Famitsu has a big update on Xenoblade Chronicles X this week. There’s a total of ten pages dedicated to the game, including an interview with director Tetsuya Takahashi.

The following information has leaked out of Famitsu thus far:

– Mira is 400km^2, which is 5 times the size of Xenoblade’s world
    – Takahashi’s final check play time was over 300 hours
    – “Union” Sound; something like factions for quests
    – There are 8 of them, and you can join any of them, and change them depending on your goal
    – PATH FINDER, COLEPEDIAN, INTER CEPTOR, LAND BANK, AVALANCE, ARMS, TESTAMENT, COMPANION
    – Nagi (Takayuki Sugou): Former Captain of the White Whale and current Military Chief in the Autonomous Government of New Los Angeles
    – Guin (Yuichi Nakamura): Worked in the same division as Elma and Irina on Earth; was their subordinate
    – Many options for player avatar customization
    – Kunihiko Tanaka did the preset avatar designs
    – Some famous voices actors providing their voice as options for the avatar, will be announced on the Xenoblade homepage later
    – GamePad shows character locations, quest locations
    – Warp to previously visited areas on the GamePad
    – The use of ‘X [Cross]’ has implications for the online functionality
    – Not a standard online game, more ‘loosely connected’
    – About 90 songs in the game
    – Xenoblade had 1 vocal song at the end, but Xenoblade X has many vocal songs (many for an RPG)
    – Sawano involved in all aspects of music
    – Battles are faster paced, more-actiony than Xenobalde
    – Differentiates close and distant attacks
    – No healers
    – Healing done with new system called ‘Soul Voice’
    – 4-player party
    – You control 1 character, the AI controls the rest
    – More unique monsters and equipment than Xenoblade
    – Xenoblade was a traditional RPG, whereas Xenoblade X is an open world RPG
    – Xenoblade was linear despite having big world
    – Xenoblade X you will get quests from different places and have more freedom

Lo2CtEo.jpg

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    300 hours!?!? This game will kill me. :(

And I can't wait! :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    – Xenoblade had 1 vocal song at the end, but Xenoblade X has many vocal songs (many for an RPG)

This is not a positive

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    That's at least 1000 hours for me. A bit much.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

This is not a positive

When you know who's doing the music, yes it is.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Nier's soundtrack had a lot of vocal tracks. Probably more with vocals than not. And that was a great soundtrack. I like what I've heard in the trailers so far.

• Options
    It's actually just airguitar.

• Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    300 hours!?!? This game will kill me. :(

And I can't wait! :D

Gonna be tough to find time to play this between monster hunts, but I'll manage somehow.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

This is not a positive

Agreed. The only purposely made for a game vocal songs I like are the ones from Xenogears, Xenosaga, and Portal. Mitsuda + Joanne Hogg = winning combination.

Everything else either has a terrible singer, terrible lyrics, or both in the case of "Eyes on Me." :shudder:

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I love vocal songs in RPGs if I can't understand the (usually awful) lyrics. Hoping they'll keep the Japanese vocals in the final product. :)

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    The lyrics in a song from one of the trailers is definitely in English. I'd call it cheesy, definitely catchy, but not bad.

Persona 3 and 4 have good, catchy, heavily-accented English lyrics in their songs. They fit the often poppy, sentimental tone of the games, though, and that's probably not what XCX (still getting used to that) is going for.

And I can't expect something on par with Nier's soundtrack, because that's just setting myself up for disappointment. Guess we'll see!

• Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who thinks what we've been hearing about Xenoblade Chronicles X sounds disappointing? I mean, did you really go through Xenoblade thinking that the game needs more huge fields and MMORPG style questing? The quests in Xenoblade are pretty shit, and certainly nowhere near the quality of games like Fallout or Trails in the Sky. Did anybody really enjoy the combat in which you had no (OK, very limited) control over the actions of your party members?

Bigger doesn't mean better. Don't give me volume, give me quality.

• Options
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks what we've been hearing about Xenoblade Chronicles X sounds disappointing? I mean, did you really go through Xenoblade thinking that the game needs more huge fields and MMORPG style questing? The quests in Xenoblade are pretty shit, and certainly nowhere near the quality of games like Fallout or Trails in the Sky. Did anybody really enjoy the combat in which you had no (OK, very limited) control over the actions of your party members?

Yes.

• Options
    The bulk of Xenoblade's quests were of the "While you're going to the next story area, you'll be rewarded for the things you were likely going to do anyway" variety. The only real annoying ones were the find x person at y time quests.

And sign me up for more/bigger areas. Xenoblade was friggin' gorgeous. I want more, in HD.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    The bulk of Xenoblade's quests were of the "While you're going to the next story area, you'll be rewarded for the things you were likely going to do anyway" variety. The only real annoying ones were the find x person at y time quests.

And sign me up for more/bigger areas. Xenoblade was friggin' gorgeous. I want more, in HD.

And even time based ones weren't too bad because time skipping.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I'm unfazed by all the "more and bigger" talk because it all just seems like typical hype talk that never means anything. Xenoblade was a good game, and I trust they'll make another good game.

• Options
    Speaking of this game being big..

http://nintendoeverything.com/xenoblade-chronicles-x-uses-most-of-the-wii-u-disk-space-more-than-one-disk-was-once-considered/
    Xenoblade Chronicles X is a huge game. So much so that it nearly takes up all of the space on the Wii U disk, and the game is extremely close to the storage limit. At one point, Monolith Soft actually considered using more than one disk.

All of that information is from today’s Japanese Xenoblade Chronicles X Twitter update, which was posted by producer Shingo Kawabata. His full comments are posted below.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is using up most of the space on the Wii U disk. It’s really, really close to the storage limit. (To the point that at one stage we were considering using more than one disk for the game). To enjoy playing, the enormous seamless map must load quickly (which was achieved through the hard work of our programming division), but we had help from Nintendo proper implementing a further improvement to what we had. I believe we’re going to reveal the details of that on the official page in the future, but to people considering purchasing the packaged version of the game, as one of the game’s developers, I highly recommend you make use of this improvement.

Just in case you’re wondering, Wii U disks offer 25GB of space. It makes you wonder what Xenoblade Chronicles X’s size will be!

• Options
    So they're saying you probably shouldn't eShop this.

• Options
    So...it's going to have a HDD install option?

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Considering they helped work on Skyward Sword I wonder if the seamless world loading tech is shared with the new Zelda.
    Renzo wrote: »
    So...it's going to have a HDD install option?

That's what that sounds like to me.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    CygnusZ wrote: »

I made maybe two hours into trails in the sky before I gave up from boredom. Xenoblade is ridiculously better than both that and Fallout as far as I'm concerned.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    On the issue of party member intelligence, with the noteworthy exception of Melia I never felt like they didn't know what they were doing or picking the wrong moves. Reyn and Dunban tank competently, Sharla prioritizes her healing well, and Riki and Seven... do their things. As AI players go, there isn't much to complain about (except Melia).

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    On the issue of party member intelligence, with the noteworthy exception of Melia I never felt like they didn't know what they were doing or picking the wrong moves. Reyn and Dunban tank competently, Sharla prioritizes her healing well, and Riki and Seven... do their things. As AI players go, there isn't much to complain about (except Melia).

Yeah, and I just controlled Melia to avoid that. The only time it didn't work was when I needed to use monado arts for a boss fight.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    Kupi wrote: »

Yeah, and I just controlled Melia to avoid that. The only time it didn't work was when I needed to use monado arts for a boss fight.

Same here.

And I thought the AI for Riki was brilliant. Almost always debuffing and healing at exactly the right moments.

• Options
    Riki's the heropon for a reason.

He has an odd set of skills, so I didn't use him at first, but he's kind of an all-around utility character. He does a little bit of everything, and it does it all very well.

• Options
    http://nintendoeverything.com/xenoblade-chronicles-x-director-on-loading-time-party-size-online-music
    Famitsu has a major feature on Xenoblade Chronicles X in this week’s issue. In addition to a new preview, the magazine shared an interview with director Tetsuya Takahashi.

One of the things Famitsu brings up is how Takahashi called the original Xenoblade “an orthodox RPG”, even though the field was huge and there were a number of different challenges. Takahashi says in response that the story of the original Xenoblade Chronicles “was one big thread so I think it was a linear game.” But in Xenoblade Chronicles X, “the story progresses in various directions as you finish quests which you get from different places.”

Famitsu next brings up the topic of loading. Takahashi confirms that players will be able to cross the huge world from one end to another without having to load data… for the most part anyway.

He said:

Moving on the field is completely seamless. However, loading occurs in cases like event scenarios. I recommend playing the downloadable version so you don’t have to worry about loading from the disk. Of course, the disk version is also tuned as much as possible to reduce the loading time. We are consulting Nintendo as to whether or not the main data can be read from the console.

Another topic discussed in Famitsu’s interview is the size of the game’s party, which is four. Takahashi explains why this number was chosen:

Considering combinations of classes and builds, the party of four was well balanced. In battle, you control one character from those four and the other three are left for AI. Similar to the previous game, you can also select which character to control. In a pinch, AI characters also shout encouragements according to their personality. Voice actors were asked to record unreasonably many lines, so the battles turned out to be lively like in the previous game.

Something Xenoblade fans have been interested in is the prospect of online functionality. However, Takahashi is quick to point out that Xenoblade Chronicles X “isn’t an online game where you are firmly connected to other players.” Monolith Soft took the concept of a “loosely connected online game”. Takahashi says: “After all, the game brings out collectively without players noticing other people, so the playstyle of an online RPG wasn’t used as a base.”

Finally, let’s talk a bit about Xenoblade Chronicles X’s music. Famitsu points out that Hiroyuki Sawano hasn’t worked much on game music, to which Takahashi states:

That’s right. He has strong image from working on anime titles like Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, Guilty Crown, and Attack on Titan, but for me he is a drama person. He is responsible for the music of Team Medical Dragon and such. I thought that drama-like music would surely shine in this game so I asked him as I had nothing to lose.

When Famitsu asks about how Sawano is flexible with his work, Takahashi replies:

Usually people who haven’t written game music react like “Why so many compositions for a game (RPG)?”, but Mr. Sawano was the opposite: “Understood. Please let me do them all.” (laughs) This time there are 90 compositions and I thought he could write only a part of them, so I’m really happy.

Xenoblade Chronicles X launches in Japan on April 29. The RPG is on track for later this year in North America and Europe.

• Options
    So they're recommending that you download the ~25 gig file?!

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    So they're recommending that you download the ~25 gig file?!

The disc will probably install.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    I don't recall ever seeing a proposed localization date or window for XenoCX, but that article said, "later this year in North America and Europe." So that's something.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    I don't recall ever seeing a proposed localization date or window for XenoCX, but that article said, "later this year in North America and Europe." So that's something.

It's been confirmed to be released in the west sometime in 2015. Near the end of this year, maybe October or November, seems likely.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Why no reprint of the original?

Every time this thread updates I just get pissed because I can't play the original.