As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] Thanks, Shorten.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Ugh 6 months more? I was hoping he'd be gone much sooner.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Suriko wrote: »
    http://www.afr.com/p/national/liberals_give_tony_abbott_six_months_xQwrFDGsH2kyfTgsUVjRUK
    Tony Abbott has until the second half of this year to turn around the government’s fortunes or risk losing his job, his colleagues say.

Under a contingency plan being actively discussed within senior ranks of the Coalition, ministers and ­backbenchers are willing Mr Abbott to succeed. If not he faces being replaced, possibly by Julie Bishop with ­Malcolm Turnbull as deputy leader and treasurer.
    Which pretty much lines up with the guess that Bishop will come in not terribly far from the election, so the Liberals effectively have a near-bank slate against Labor.

The worst part is, I could see this working.

Six months of "hmm is this guy still a fuck up? Here's who we think could do a better job." and "What has Abbot really done since the knighthood fiasco".

Soon as they swap, Bishop has to defend everything that Abbot did - if they swap it'll be after a defeat, when she can actually blame him for things without having to explain why she's doing the same. With a bit of luck, Abbot's your Clegg.
    I can't. Australian's don't care enough about politics to disassociate the boss from the party. They'll blame the whole lot.
    As they should, the knives aren't out because Australian's hate HRH Prince Philip - they're out because Australian's hate the government and Abbot made the Liberals hate the boss.
    You're one of the few people as far as I know he's not offended (in fact, not thanking you for the award might have even been an attempt towards inclusiveness - bringing the majority of Australians along with those "slitty-eyed" and "ex-spear throwing" bastards together on at least one topic).

[edit]Of course he's offended Australia, what was I thinking...

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I suppose my main basis for Australians swallowing the bait is that, frustratingly, Labor (and now the media) have always consistently focused their attacks on Abbott rather than the Liberal Party or Coalition as a whole. This has also often extended to the rhetoric used - not a rejection of Liberal mantra such as trickle-down economics, welfare queens, lazy youth, corrupt unions, and forever-imminent terrorists - but a rejection of Abbott's projected personal values of trust, strength, and stability. It's not "the Liberal party's ideology is full of shit", but rather "Tony's a buffoon who can't be trusted".

I suppose the true test of this will be polling after Bishop comes into power, and whether this seeming attempt by the LNP for a lengthy transition with careful groundwork, to avoid labels of her installation as being a result of 'backstabbing', works.

In other news
    Queensland election: Everybody's (still) suing everybody
    Katter's Australian Party (KAP) founder Bob Katter has likened Liberal National Party (LNP) election tactics to the propaganda of Adolf Hitler.

The KAP has taken legal action against the LNP in a bid to stop the spread of what it called blatant lies in election material. Mr Katter said the LNP's election material inferred the KAP made a deal with Labor to form government in the event of a hung parliament.

KAP Gympie candidate Shane Paulger said an application for an injunction against any further untrue statements and distributions by the LNP was lodged in the Brisbane Supreme Court on Friday morning. "We are submitting an injunction against the Liberal Party to prevent them from spreading more lies to the people of Queensland, such as this pamphlet that's been distributed ... in the Courier Mail today," he said.

Not The Onion: "Freedom" brand food bars rejected for Manus Island detainees, followed by the usual "Totally wasn't us, it was PNG" blame shifting.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I can't. Australian's don't care enough about politics to disassociate the boss from the party. They'll blame the whole lot.

Indon't think they're canny enough to separate their own opinion from media framing.

So, if the media frames abbott as separate to the party the public will go along with it.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    This whole knighthood thing is so bizarre.

Like, I agree it's retrograde and stupid and just generally undeserved, but that's not the reason that most people claim to have an issue - they dont like that it wasn't an Australian who got the award, apparently.

Then the rhetoric defending Abbott is bizarre. Abbott claiming he now recognises he should consult people and the Australian public more (as opposed to before, what did he think the concept of governing was about!?) to things like Barnarby Joyce's claim that it's all ok and Abbott is fine because he's genuine if mistaken.

It's all word salad nonsense.

• Options
    Shit, you could be forgiven for thinking the entire political process was about Abbott himself rather than these party thingies

J1WUKIc.jpg
    Thanks, Rupert.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Like, I agree it's retrograde and stupid and just generally undeserved, but that's not the reason that most people claim to have an issue - they dont like that it wasn't an Australian who got the award, apparently.

Which shows another blatant outright lie by the Liberals, or at least Abbott, when reinstating it.
    Mr Abbott said the honour would be extended to Australians of "extraordinary and pre-eminent achievement and merit".

That's why there's so much of an issue with it. They bring it in as a way to honour Australians, then the first time it's handed out, it's handed out to a member of the British monarchy. Who is decidedly not Australian. And was done on Australia Day.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular

Then the rhetoric defending Abbott is bizarre. Abbott claiming he now recognises he should consult people and the Australian public more (as opposed to before, what did he think the concept of governing was about!?) to things like Barnarby Joyce's claim that it's all ok and Abbott is fine because he's genuine if mistaken.

It's all word salad nonsense.

Well he's made it pretty clear that he thinks the concept of governing is "They elected me so that means I can do whatever the fuck I want with no repercussions".

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    they've just now decided they want to get rid of abbott and the knighthood thing was the most recent dumb thing he did

it is also conveniently impossible to tie to any other member of the liberal party

basically a way of managing the transition to bishop without catastrophically losing face? like, for all we know they had him do it on purpose

watch as bishop steps into power and the murdoch press is like GLAD THAT'S OVER WITH and people are like well now abbott's gone i guess everything is fine and the liberals sweep the next election because bill shorten had no plan of any kind to deal with this

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular

Indon't think they're canny enough to separate their own opinion from media framing.

So, if the media frames abbott as separate to the party the public will go along with it.

It's too late. They've made it too personal. Who are you going to believe the paper or your own personal experience?

But we'll see.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    As they should, the knives aren't out because Australian's hate HRH Prince Philip - they're out because Australian's hate the government and Abbot made the Liberals hate the boss.
    You're one of the few people as far as I know he's not offended (in fact, not thanking you for the award might have even been an attempt towards inclusiveness - bringing the majority of Australians along with those "slitty-eyed" and "ex-spear throwing" bastards together on at least one topic).

This bit confused me enough that I'm not sure what is going on so I'm wondering if you want another go?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Tastyfish wrote: »

This bit confused me enough that I'm not sure what is going on so I'm wondering if you want another go?

Prince Philip has something of a reputation for offending people, such as warning that UK students studying abroad in China might need to be careful less they become all slitty eyed, or asking Australian Aboriginals if they still chuck spears at each other.

However, the liberal party hasn't been polling well for some time - so it seems unlikely that the papers' change in stance on Tony Abbot are down to a mass groundswell of public opinion against any recognition of your Great Colonial Uncle Phil (despite there being a reason for that). The fact there's been no official thanks from Prince Philip for the award was minor news at the time, or at least was mentioned - but it could be seen as an attempt by the monarchy to distance themselves from a controversial topic or racist uncle Phill just making sure he covered all bases and pissed off foreigners equally - the latter being the joke.

Hope that made more sense?

[edit] The post was originally written with 'nation' rather than 'people', but then I did a quick check and it turns out that he'd said the 'spear' thing pretty recently so thought I'd narrow it down to white Australians since they gave him the award. As an edit it could have been worded better though - as could this

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    THAC0THAC0 Registered User regular
    http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/julie-bishop-and-malcolm-turnbull-perform-well-because-of-their-captain-says-tony-abbott-20150130-131xqq.html
    "One of the reasons why so many members of the team are able to perform so well is because they have got a very good captain," he told reporters.

"It takes a good captain to help all the players of a team to excel," he said.

I can't decide if this is all really clever PR to make leadership change more palatable or if the people in this government are just incompetent to the point that they massively overestimate their abilities.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Oh I just hadn't heard about his idiocy before this happened. I've found out about some of his choice comments now.
    He's too damn stupid for me to be more than just "what a moron" dismissive.
    And this whole thing is too fucking shallow and insipid for me to really care much about it.
    Figures they'd use it to stab each other though, shallow and insipid is what the LNP are all about.

edit: oh you meant you as in "you people". I thought you were talking to me. I was really confused. Not many people say it like that anymore.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Tone abet has said that he wants to "move on from the distraction of the Knighthood of Prince Phillip".

Which seems like he's trying to have his cake and eat it too. If it's a distraction then it would be a tacit admission that knighthoods and indeed all of the australia day malarkey is spurious nonsense, which would not seem to be his actual position and would enrage the masses and his base all the more.

• Options
    Sigh.... polling shows QLD LNP will just scrape by, 52-48

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Sigh.... polling shows QLD LNP will just scrape by, 52-48

I hope it's just people not being confident that Labor will win, instead of planning to vote LNP. I also think that KAP will get a pretty big vote up north.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    In situations like this, I always comfort myself with a thought: I haven't been polled, so how much do they actually know?

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    52-48 using 2012 preferences is too close to call. I'd say a hung parliament is the most likely scenario.

EDIT: OPV :rotate:

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    Well, we'll know tonight how things go. Polls seem to have tightened to a dead 50/50 heat. Hung parliament does seem most likely, which is in itself staggering given how Labor's last loss in Queensland was considered generational.

A single term incompetent ideologue versus an uncharismatic warm body in a suit. I wonder what this reminds me of.

• Options
    I'm hearing that voting lines are long and glacial because of having to check for voter ID. Truly a powerful weapon for the right in their never-ending battle against "red tape".

Meanwhile I'm sitting here laughing because I sent my postal vote more than a week ago. :cool:

• Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Make sure you do you duty and put a '4' in the box for LNP!

• Options
    I did in fact number every box! My opinion is that OPV isn't democratic in the same way that FPTP isn't democratic: it doesn't best reflect the will of the electorate.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Oh, and the LNP has apparently filed a Supreme Court injunction against GetUp! for the horrific crime of handing out HTVs that place the LNP last. Because Heaven forbid we try to convince people that destroying the Great Barrier Reef maybe probably isn't such a great idea.

EDIT: they also filed an injunction against Labor, to which the Supreme Court responded by telling them to fuck off.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    they also filed an injunction against Labor, to which the Supreme Court responded by telling them to fuck off.

Even better the thing they had a problem with was "Remember to number every square". They're really desperate for those preferences.

• Options
    The injunction was thrown out of court

Check out @GetUp's Tweet:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That's too much good news in one day, we need something horrible to counter-balance it.
    Meanwhile plenty of voters in the Burdekin have been turned away for not having ID. Identification is compulsory at this election and voters are being urged to remember to bring it along.

Volunteers at the Big Birds Nest Child Care Centre said voters were being told to go home to get identification.

Voters without identification are supposed to be offered the option of a declaration vote.
    This is worrying. I want to believe it's just a bunch of people forgetting their ID and being told to come back with it after admitting as much, but that may be too optimistic.

• Options
    Votes start getting counted in just over 2 hours. Here's hoping it goes well.

• Options
    my mum just got back from volunteering for the greens, handing out how-to-vote cards

the fucking labor party was handing out fakes

wearing green t-shirts, handing out cards on green paper with labor in the first preference, saying they were from the greens

so that's appalling

even the guys from the liberal party were taken aback

• Options
    Now THAT is shady as fuck.

• Options
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/6059692-3x2-940x627.jpg

Now that is pretty disgusting as well. God I hate election banners.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »

Yeah, the Victorian election had blow ups of front page Herald Sun issues everywhere.

I remember the Libs dressed in green shirts pretending to be Greens supporters except the sheets they were handing out had the Liberal guide to vote, this was in the 2007 elections.

Pretty disgusted that Labor have seen fit to continue the practice.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Lorahalo wrote: »

They forgot "Honesty".

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    the courier mail are an arm of the liberal party

well, sort of. the other way to look at it is that the liberal party is an arm of the courier-mail

• Options
    And that's it, folks, polls are closed. Now the real fun begins.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    ABC hasn't called it, but statistically it's almost certain that the LNP will hold the state, but Newman will lose his electorate.

So Queensland just voted for a party that won't have a leader.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Nine's exit poll has put the total 2PP at 54-46 to ALP.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Exit polls are starting to trickle in. Galaxy was an hour early and gave us 54-46 to Labor. Newspoll was also early, but has the LNP well in front.

As for Ashgrove, Galaxy and ReachTEL are both 56-44 to Labor. Newman is finished.

EDIT: argh, beaten

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    k9LyBRr.png

Blame Labor of course.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Oh god the ABC news right now is so bad. Tim Nicholls is saying stuff like "I hear the unions are piling behind the ALP right now after abandoning them last time" while Swanny sits there thinking "Are you serious bro?".

Current predictions with votes counted so far are at 21 LNP, 19 ALP, 3 KAP, 1 IND. Rest are undecided.

Lorahalo on