Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] Thanks, Shorten.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    I bet they try and market it to the NZ public as they did over here as "flexibility" and "more choices".

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Why 12,400? It seems a like an oddly specific number.
    The official reason is that it's the threshold used elsewhere in Australia, which is a perfectly valid excuse if you ignore the fact that it doesn't at all explain why the change was necessary in the first place.

• Options
    Friends, I present to you, "the adults".
    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-21/mermaid-beach-mp-ray-stevens-aggressive-towards-journalist/6032152
    Newman Government MP Ray Stevens became agitated and did "a dance" outside a polling booth after a journalist asked him about his controversial cable car development in the Gold Coast hinterland.

Premier Campbell Newman's assistant minister will be both consultant and investor on the proposed $100 million sky rail project from Mudgeeraba to Springbrook.

A similar plan was rejected by Labor 16 years ago and the project was only now possible after the Liberal National Party overturned a ban on national park commercial development.

Mr Stevens has said he had approval from the Integrity Commissioner to enter into the tourism venture.

At a pre-polling booth at Mermaid Beach today, Mr Stevens was approached by a journalist who asked for the Commissioner's advice to be release.

Mr Stevens refused to answer.

"Please make an interview through the office and we will do it then," he said.

"I am here looking after my constituents."

Mr Stevens, who is also Leader of the House, then leapt to his feet to start handing out how-to-vote cards.

When the journalist, David Donovan from Independent Australia, did not back down and asked how much he could make from the development, Mr Stevens then began to wave his hands and arms up and down in the journalist's face.

Donovan said it was aggressive and juvenile behaviour.

"That Mermaid Ray really lost the plot, but without saying a word," Donovan said.

"He started doing a dance and gyrating around — this is a Minister of the Crown, we're talking about, let me remind you."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Is this something that is a requirement to be in the Liberal party or something? Anyone else recalling Abbots infamous "Nod and sneer" moment to that journalist a while back?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/islamic-bookshop-in-lakemba-evacuated-after-white-powder-found-20150121-12v9mu.html
    A man has been hospitalised after he found an envelope containing a white substance in an Islamic bookstore in Sydney's west.

The Islamic Bookstore Australia on Haldon Street in Lakemba was evacuated about 3.45pm on Wednesday, after a male employee found an envelope with a white, powdered substance, police said. The emergency services found two employee outside the shop. They were treated at the scene and sent to the hospital as a precautionary measure.

The envelope has been seized for forensic examination.
    Shit.

Edit: also, open and transparent government. http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jan/22/journalists-reporting-on-asylum-seekers-referred-to-australian-police
    Journalists reporting on the federal government’s asylum-seeker policies have been repeatedly referred to the police in attempts to uncover confidential sources and whistleblowers, a Guardian Australia investigation can reveal.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Animated gif of yesterdays dance:
    http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jan/22/ray-stevenss-dance-might-just-trump-the-abbott-stare-and-keating-warble

And a handy link to keep the next time someone talks about paying "half their income in tax", which Hockey has done several times
    http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/grogonomics/2015/jan/22/joe-hockey-either-doesnt-understand-how-tax-works-or-he-is-deliberately-misleading-the-public
    This works out to median households paying about 22% of their income in taxes and the richest 20% paying about 27%.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So after messing with penalty rates, medicare, the GST, and university deregulation proved unpopular, Abbott's looking to shore up his polling with something that'll be recieved a little better.

Haha, just kidding. He's going to fuck with the minimum wage now.
    Penalty rates, the minimum wage and the workplace flexibility of 11.5 million Australian workers will come under the microscope in a sweeping review of industrial relations system.

The long-awaited review of Australia's workplace laws will examine the effect of the minimum wage on employment, how penalty rates are set and what economic effect the loadings have on business and employees. Five issues papers that set out the key areas of the Commission's inquiry - which will arguably be the broadest review of IR laws of its kind in a generation - were accidentally published online on Thursday ahead of the embargo being lifted.

The review was meant to be published on the Commission's website at midnight but went live on the homepage on Thursday morning and was siezed on by at least two Labor MPs who tweeted a link to it. Enterprise bargaining, individual agreements between employers and employees, unfair dismissal, anti-bullying laws and public sector employment issues will all be examined too.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Sounds like WorkChoices

Or rather "I Can't Believe It's Not WorkChoices (TM)"

• Options
    I remember thinking that Labor's claim that Abbott would bring back Workchoices during the election was a bit flimsy. Now I'm thinking they should have gone harder.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jan/22/ray-stevenss-dance-might-just-trump-the-abbott-stare-and-keating-warble

And a handy link to keep the next time someone talks about paying "half their income in tax", which Hockey has done several times
    http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/grogonomics/2015/jan/22/joe-hockey-either-doesnt-understand-how-tax-works-or-he-is-deliberately-misleading-the-public
    This works out to median households paying about 22% of their income in taxes and the richest 20% paying about 27%.

That only considers income tax. Add GST, which to simplify, lets make it 10% on everything, means you are paying another 10% of tax. Plus then all the taxes like stamp duty on houses/cars etc. It gets pretty close to 50%.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    You don't buy cars every year. And the GST only adds another 6% at most.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »

That only considers income tax. Add GST, which to simplify, lets make it 10% on everything, means you are paying another 10% of tax. Plus then all the taxes like stamp duty on houses/cars etc. It gets pretty close to 50%.

Sure if you spend 100% of your wage, also the article addresses that point. The top 20% of income earners pay 27.5% total tax including gst and other taxes.

In the extreme example the highest 1% at an average of $611,000 paid 39.5% income tax which assuming they spent their entire yearly wage would result in:

610000 total income
    - 240950 income tax
    = 370050 in the bank

Assuming all of this money is immediately spent on products that include GST the GST cost would be 37005

240950+37005 = 277955 tax paid (before stamp duty granted)

for 45.49% overall tax.

That's pretty much the worst case scenario. In reality the top 20% pay 2.82% of their total income to gst. The bottom 20 pay 6.45% (Which actually means the 1-20% are paying higher overall taxes at 21.9% then the 21-40% at 19.6%)

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Doesn't quite work like that, and Greg Jericho does append some information to his article. Hockey's pretty clearly in the wrong on this.
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Sounds like WorkChoices

Wasn't that dead, buried, and cremated?
    Anyway, despite the form recent governments have had on asking for review from the PC and then ignoring the results, it's fairly likely an upcoming review will not be supportive of penalty rates. Since that fits with the government's existing ideology, I'd say the future of penalty rates does not look good. Unless of course they do really leave a legislative package until after the next election. These guys always do what they say they're going to do, right?

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Looked over at today's issue of The Australian siting at the coffee place. The leading cover headline?

"TIME TO BUST WORKPLACE MYTHS"

Sigh.

Edit: Brandis has also confirmed that no warrant would be needed to access data harvested under the metadata retention scheme.

Suriko on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Solvent wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Sounds like WorkChoices

Wasn't that dead, buried, and cremated?

They only said that. it wasn't written, signed and witnessed by a third party. Obviously it wasn't to be taken seriously.

Remember, Abbott actually said publicly you can't trust what he says unless it's on paper.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    ....so queensland
    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-23/campbell-newman-and-jeff-seeney-suing-alan-jones-for-defamation/6041274
    Sydney radio broadcaster Alan Jones is being sued for defamation by Queensland Premier Campbell Newman and Deputy Premier Jeff Seeney.

Papers for the lawsuit have been lodged in the Supreme Court in Brisbane.

More to come.

Yes. You read that correctly. LNP politicians are suing Alan Jones.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Suriko wrote: »
    "TIME TO BUST WORKPLACE MYTHS".

But they want to also be able to say to us: "don't worry, this is just a REVIEW, nothing is decided yet!"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I wasn't trying to say he wasn't wrong, but (and admittedly I guess I only skimmed the article) I was just pointing out that there were other taxes that that article didn't seem to account for.

I have no problem with the amount of tax I pay. Would probably be fine with paying more.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    ...whoah
    The Liberal National Party (LNP) has confirmed it will be funding the defamation action, as it was initiated by Mr Newman.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ...whoah
    The Liberal National Party (LNP) has confirmed it will be funding the defamation action, as it was initiated by Mr Newman.

LNP versus Alan Jones 2015: Whoever loses, we win.

• Options
    ...whoah

Does this mean they don't care if they lose in Queensland? Because I honestly can't see how them attacking their far right nutjob support is supposed to be in their favor.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    ...whoah

I shall bring the popcorn

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Clive Palmer says he will help pay Alan Jones' legal fees, after Queensland Premier Campbell Newman and his deputy Jeff Seeney announced they would sue the broadcaster for defamation

Mr Palmer, a vocal critic of Mr Newman whose Palmer United Party will be looking to take seats from the LNP at this month's state election, took to Twitter today to express his support for Jones.

"Alan Jones has my full support for telling the truth about @theqldpremier. I offer him financial support to fight any legal action," he tweeted.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    anastasia palaszczuk's been on the tv a lot lately

i wish she sounded more like someone running for premier and less like someone running for school captain

and not even a good candidate for school captain. one of the unpopular kids who are campaigning anyway for some reason known only to them and you put their speech on first to get them out of the way before the real contenders show up

that would give me a lot more faith in the future of the great state of queensland

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

i wish she sounded more like someone running for premier and less like someone running for school captain

and not even a good candidate for school captain. one of the unpopular kids who are campaigning anyway for some reason known only to them and you put their speech on first to get them out of the way before the real contenders show up

that would give me a lot more faith in the future of the great state of queensland

Queensland wants to be our Florida so badly, it's hilarious.

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular

That's still a fair few steps up from Texas though.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

That's still a fair few steps up from Texas though.

That's us in W.A.

MINING OIL GAS DO IT NOW MAKE ALL THE MONEY BASE OUR ENTIRE ECONOMY AROUND A FINITE RESOURCE THAT BOOMS AND BUSTS REGULARLY

• Options
    The Queensland election continues to provide entertainment.

Newman is wigging out
    The Queensland premier has accused the Labor party of accepting donations from bikies but when asked for evidence has told journalists to “Google it”.

Campbell Newman first made the claim in the people’s forum with opposition leader, Annastacia Palaszczuk, on Friday night asking her if Labor’s donation money was “clean” and to guarantee she had not accepted donations from bikies. Palaszczuk dismissed the claim as “ridiculous”. Newman repeated the claim on Saturday saying it was up to the Labor party to prove they did not accept donations from bikies, not up to him to prove it.

The LNP are doubling down on suing Alan Jones
    Radio personality Alan Jones is facing more legal action from Queensland government ministers.

Lawrence Springborg's office has confirmed the health minister will file a defamation case against Mr Jones for falsely accusing him for orchestrating coal mines in his Southern Downs electorate. A spokesman for the minister said Jones told Fairfax Radio listeners on Friday that there were coal mines all over the Southern Downs organised to suit Mr Springborg.

"There is not a single coal mining lease in the Southern Downs," he said. "He was speaking tripe."

This comes after Jones received court documents from Premier Campbell Newman and Deputy Premier Jeff Seeney flagging impending defamation action over comments about Queensland's New Acland coal mine. A tweet from 4BC radio also says Treasurer Tim Nicholls and assistant minister to the premier Deb Frecklington are poised to sue Jones and the radio station.

And are also saying that seats taken by Labor won't receive funding for promised projects if they take the state election
    Campbell Newman says he cannot guarantee the Liberal National Party's big spending promises, even those with bipartisan support, if the party wins government but not the seat a project is in.

Speaking in Toowoomba this morning, Mr Newman said electorates that did not vote in an LNP member might not get the infrastructure the party had promised. He said that even applied to communities where projects have bipartisan support, such as Townsville's new stadium.

Meanwhile, polls are swinging hard towards a Labor win.

• Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    hahahahahha

• Options
    That is such an enormously petty and frankly kind of scary thing for them to say. "Vote for us, or we will threaten the interests of your area if we do win and you didn't". Aren't they supposed to represent the electorate as a whole if they win, even the people who didnt vote for them? Isn't that the point of democracy?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I googled it: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/why-wont-labor-dump-this-corrupt-union/story-fni0ffxg-1227113794544?nk=0cedc30f32f98233b6126e0205fefdcd

https://abetz.com.au/news/union-bikie-links-a-test-of-leadership-for-bill-shorten

So, even if the article is true, Labor is not accepting donations from bikies, they are accepting donations from unions who also donate to bikies. So Campbell is still wrong.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Holy shit, I thought the delusional federal Liberals were bad, but that's just outright insanity.

• Options
    State Liberals are atrocious across the board

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Newman is wigging out
    The Queensland premier has accused the Labor party of accepting donations from bikies but when asked for evidence has told journalists to “Google it”.

Campbell Newman first made the claim in the people’s forum with opposition leader, Annastacia Palaszczuk, on Friday night asking her if Labor’s donation money was “clean” and to guarantee she had not accepted donations from bikies. Palaszczuk dismissed the claim as “ridiculous”. Newman repeated the claim on Saturday saying it was up to the Labor party to prove they did not accept donations from bikies, not up to him to prove it.

Sounds to me like it's time for Campbell Newman to prove that he is not a peadophile.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Seriously, he makes a claim while providing no evidence, and says it is on the other guy to prove he's wrong? I know everything is upside down in Australia, but come on man.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Everybody's suing everybody!
    Palmer United Party leader Clive Palmer says he's suing Queensland's health minister for defamation.

Suriko on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Everybody's suing everybody!
    Palmer United Party leader Clive Palmer says he's suing Queensland's health minister for defamation.

It's a good time to be a lawyer.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Seriously, he makes a claim while providing no evidence, and says it is on the other guy to prove he's wrong? I know everything is upside down in Australia, but come on man.

Complete ignorance of the burden of proof is not unique to australia.
    It's as common as breathing.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/prince-philip-awarded-knight-of-the-order-of-australia-by-prime-minister-tony-abbott-20150125-12xzk8.html
    Prime Minister Tony Abbott has awarded Australia's highest honour to the Queen's husband, Prince Philip.

The 93-year-old Duke of Edinburgh can now add Knight of the Order of Australia to his list of titles, a statement released by Mr Abbott's office early on Australia Day revealed.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I like how 'Sydney Morning Herald' abbreviates to 'shaking my head'.