Always Be [Chat]ting

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    First NPR, now The Wire?

Feral's gone rogue.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    wife showed me this fact sheet that minishark #1 had to fill out as part of preschool. some interesting tidbits here:

His favorite activities include throwing snowballs and hugging trees

Activities he is "good" at include playing with trucks, hugging his brother and loving mommy

When he grows up he wants to be an excavator

His favorite color is pink but I knew that already (first kid to tell him that's a girls color gets sharked)

Pink cannot be one's favorite color. Pink is not a color. Pink is a pigment.

Might want to break that news to him now, before he gets too invested in his flawed senses.

FF00FF in RGB or 300,100,100 in HSB disagree with you

I do not argue with hex.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    how is not pink a color.

@Abdhyius

I am glad you asked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9dqJRyk0YM

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Readin up on the BG NPCs in anticipation for playing the EEs

the Blackguard NPC sounds wonderfully cartoonishly evil

Did you beat IWD?

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    the last couple pages are a great example how how dumb the D&D alignment system was in 2nd-3rd ed.

In Original and 1st Ed they still had the excuse that the whole Law vs Chaos thing was straight out of 70s pulp fantasy (and especially Michael Moorcock).

Once they tried to have it make sense in general in 2nd ed it is crazy. The level of mental gymnastics required to justify D&D alignment in 2nd-3rd is absurd.

This is one of many things they fixed in 4th ed. Alignment is for supernatural beings and fanatics. Almost everyone is Unaligned.

A demon is evil. A priest trying to rip open a portal to the Shadowfell in order to summon Orcus is evil. The "bread thief" isn't evil. He's fucking unaligned. Just like the baker he stole the bread from and 99% of the other people in the city.

I don't think 2nd edition ever claimed that people committing poverty-motivated petty crime were evil aligned.

And a paladin who stopped such a crime by murdering a petty criminal would cease to be a paladin immediately.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    how is not pink a color.

@Abdhyius

I am glad you asked!

color =/= wavelength

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    The Wire: the best show that ever put me to sleep.

Cinders

Cinders Cinders Cinders

Oh hey.

That there sure is a draft I thought I deleted.

Your treachery has been exposed, foul feline!

*watches avatar*

d'awwwwww i can't stay mad at u

• Options
    how is not pink a color.

@Abdhyius

I am glad you asked!

color =/= wavelength

you =/= color

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Who the hell is this Simon guy, simonwolf?

some jerk I know

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Things I have learned during this family visit:

- My dad turns the TV to the Hallmark Channel every time he gets the remote, then proceeds to read books on his tablet
    - I really hate the Hallmark Channel

工事中
  • Options
    and you might notice that at no point in that video do they say anything to the effect of "pink is not a color"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    ... I wonder when my workplace will learn that I don't check emails at 10PM...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    the last couple pages are a great example how how dumb the D&D alignment system was in 2nd-3rd ed.

In Original and 1st Ed they still had the excuse that the whole Law vs Chaos thing was straight out of 70s pulp fantasy (and especially Michael Moorcock).

Once they tried to have it make sense in general in 2nd ed it is crazy. The level of mental gymnastics required to justify D&D alignment in 2nd-3rd is absurd.

This is one of many things they fixed in 4th ed. Alignment is for supernatural beings and fanatics. Almost everyone is Unaligned.

A demon is evil. A priest trying to rip open a portal to the Shadowfell in order to summon Orcus is evil. The "bread thief" isn't evil. He's fucking unaligned. Just like the baker he stole the bread from and 99% of the other people in the city.

I don't think 2nd edition ever claimed that people committing poverty-motivated petty crime were evil aligned.

And a paladin who stopped such a crime by murdering a petty criminal would cease to be a paladin immediately.

I would think that would depend on the laws of the paladin's civilization yes? There have been plenty of civilizations throughout history whose laws demand death as punishment for theft.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Things I have learned during this family visit:

- My dad turns the TV to the Hallmark Channel every time he gets the remote, then proceeds to read books on his tablet
    - I really hate the Hallmark Channel

When my cable company took away Comedy Central they replaced it with the Hallmark Channel

Which if I'm being honest I would have found pretty funny had it happened to someone else

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    So I went to my first NBA game. It was... It was okay. Free beer helped.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Geico commercials give me an erection.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    God damn it, why would they even allow me into an area where the Mako would fall into water and drown?

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Gim wrote: »
    God damn it, why would they even allow me into an area where the Mako would fall into water and drown?

because the Mako sections are fun and definitely the best part of the game

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I am out drinking at a jazz bar with my dad

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »

...you're that fella that keeps telling me to go to the colossal pillar of wasp eggs, aren't you?

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    To this day I won't play evil characters in Bioware games.

I had this one terrible experience where a friend talked me into playing a dark side character for a second run at KotOR 1 and it was like nonononononononononononono

I only play evil in modern Bio. The writing is campy anyway, so why not go all in?

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Does anyone else remember an article that floated about a while ago on Jazzybal about Love Actually?

It really bothers me. I think about it often. The fact that it starts, so self-assuredly with "I am about to ruin Love Actually for you" - which assumes that it is even something that can be ruined, but even worse that the article itself was sufficiently powerful that anyone who did like the movie would be moved against it. Which they shouldn't be because it was obviously stupid.

The first criticism was that it sought to establish Emma Thompson's character as a mean or otherwise hateful character so that she "deserved" her Alan Rickman's character's infidelity - as part of some greater cultural myth about who does and doesn't deserve to be punished. She sought to support this with the opening scene in which Liam Neeson's character is sad and among other things Thompson's recommends "You should cheer up, no one will want to shag you if you cry all the time" - which she styled as insensitive. But the only way you could have such an interpretation of the scene and the intent of the scene would be if you had literally never seen it only read it or suffered from an autistic spectrum disorder that rendered you incapable of identifying the emotional states and reactions of others - because it is manifestly NOT supported by the text, it's obviously a supportive joke between old friends and it's clear neither character interprets it as a malicious or inappropriate statement.

Never saw the article.

I unashamedly enjoy that film, because I used to watch it when I was really depressed while on deployment and it cheered me up. I rather doubt any article could ruin the film for me.

As for the scene with Emma Thompson and Liam Neeson, I find that an interesting scene because I think there is a lot of meaty subtextual stuff going on with her comment (which is definitely a well-intentioned comment and in no way meant to tear him down). For one thing, I feel like her advice to him is very culturally British. It's not something an American would say to their friend. That idea of not expressing too much emotion, keeping that stiff upper lip, and not being a sad sack even though his wife just died tragically at a young age.

I guess I can see why an American person watching the film might find the comment offensive. They'd be wrong. But I can see it. Particularly for young people in the United States, wearing your emotions -particularly when those emotions involve depression- on your sleeve is kind of what you do. And anyone telling you to suck it up is obviously worse than Hitler. But that's not the world that these characters, who are older and British, inhabit. Emoting excessively in public is not what you do.

Anyway, my favorite thing about the film was that it set out to show a bunch of different kinds of love, and each story felt honest, painful, and sweet (even if some of them were melodramatic which doesn't bother me).

@Apothe0sis

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Feral dat av
    dat av

also, I think the argument about pink not being a color is kind of hopelessly pedantic even by _J_ standards

it's a tint of red in terms of pigment, it's one of the four key pigments in print color. ok, yes, it's not on the primary and secondary color wheel but how reductive do we have to be? By your standards, there are what? ROY G BIV? cmon dude

• Options
    To this day I won't play evil characters in Bioware games.

I had this one terrible experience where a friend talked me into playing a dark side character for a second run at KotOR 1 and it was like nonononononononononononono

I only play evil in modern Bio. The writing is campy anyway, so why not go all in?

Do you even play modern BW games?

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »

...you're that fella that keeps telling me to go to the colossal pillar of wasp eggs, aren't you?

ha ha

how ridiculous

though if you do go, make sure not to bring weapons

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Does anyone else remember an article that floated about a while ago on Jazzybal about Love Actually?

It really bothers me. I think about it often. The fact that it starts, so self-assuredly with "I am about to ruin Love Actually for you" - which assumes that it is even something that can be ruined, but even worse that the article itself was sufficiently powerful that anyone who did like the movie would be moved against it. Which they shouldn't be because it was obviously stupid.

The first criticism was that it sought to establish Emma Thompson's character as a mean or otherwise hateful character so that she "deserved" her Alan Rickman's character's infidelity - as part of some greater cultural myth about who does and doesn't deserve to be punished. She sought to support this with the opening scene in which Liam Neeson's character is sad and among other things Thompson's recommends "You should cheer up, no one will want to shag you if you cry all the time" - which she styled as insensitive. But the only way you could have such an interpretation of the scene and the intent of the scene would be if you had literally never seen it only read it or suffered from an autistic spectrum disorder that rendered you incapable of identifying the emotional states and reactions of others - because it is manifestly NOT supported by the text, it's obviously a supportive joke between old friends and it's clear neither character interprets it as a malicious or inappropriate statement.

Never saw the article.

I unashamedly enjoy that film, because I used to watch it when I was really depressed while on deployment and it cheered me up. I rather doubt any article could ruin the film for me.

As for the scene with Emma Thompson and Liam Neeson, I find that an interesting scene because I think there is a lot of meaty subtextual stuff going on with her comment (which is definitely a well-intentioned comment and in no way meant to tear him down). For one thing, I feel like her advice to him is very culturally British. It's not something an American would say to their friend. That idea of not expressing too much emotion, keeping that stiff upper lip, and not being a sad sack even though his wife just died tragically at a young age.

I guess I can see why an American person watching the film might find the comment offensive. They'd be wrong. But I can see it. Particularly for young people in the United States, wearing your emotions -particularly when those emotions involve depression- on your sleeve is kind of what you do. And anyone telling you to suck it up is obviously worse than Hitler. But that's not the world that these characters, who are older and British, inhabit. Emoting excessively in public is not what you do.

Anyway, my favorite thing about the film was that it set out to show a bunch of different kinds of love, and each story felt honest, painful, and sweet (even if some of them were melodramatic which doesn't bother me).

Apothe0sis

She's not actually telling him to suck it up.

She's saying "Chin up, dude. Come on, hang in there"

just not y'know

in a fucking dull way

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    hmmm dockers alpha why you stop making my size, i don't have a 30" inseam dockers pls : ( i want work pants pls : (

• Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/baddest-bug-c-diff-hits-half-million-americans-n312731

this fucking idiot should be fired from nbc- cdiff is caused by overuse of antibiotics, yes, but it's also cured by usage of first flagyl and vancomycin, both antibiotics, as well as encouraged usage of probiotics during treatment.

this article could kill someone.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    ydq7beuf7qla.jpg
    this goat has the same attitude as I do
    fuck this weather lets eat a sammich

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Feral dat av
    dat av

also, I think the argument about pink not being a color is kind of hopelessly pedantic even by _J_ standards

it's a tint of red in terms of pigment, it's one of the four key pigments in print color. ok, yes, it's not on the primary and secondary color wheel but how reductive do we have to be? By your standards, there are what? ROY G BIV? cmon dude

nah, he actually has a point there. There is no single wavelength of light which humans name Pink as is the case with many other colors. So if you define "color" by the wavelength of light (not a bad starting point) then pink is not a color.

What it shows is that definition of "color" is incomplete. You need to consider situations in which light of different wavelengths is being seen simultaneously.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    and final pic tonight is of Cullman, Al
    kv1c3linvn3s.jpg
    I now go to sleep and dream of next week were apparently none of this ever happened.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Feral dat av
    dat av

nah, he actually has a point there. There is no single wavelength of light which humans name Pink as is the case with many other colors. So if you define "color" by the wavelength of light (not a bad starting point) then pink is not a color.

What it shows is that definition of "color" is incomplete. You need to consider situations in which light of different wavelengths is being seen simultaneously.

No that's a terrible starting point and the definition of colour is not at all that

it's not a spectral colour

it's another kind of colour

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    but yes he has a point

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Then there are those pesky colors out of space.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Feral dat av
    dat av

No that's a terrible starting point and the definition of colour is not at all that

ok then what is "the" definition of color

cause all of this just comes down to having a rigorous and agreed upon definition of that word. Given such a definition whether or not Pink is a color is easy.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Feral dat av
    dat av

ok then what is "the" definition of color

cause all of this just comes down to having a rigorous and agreed upon definition of that word. Given such a definition whether or not Pink is a color is easy.

specifying what span is one colour can be somewhat tricky - what's red, and what's vermillion and burgundy, etc

but pink is super easy

it's an additive colour. It's what we perceive that combination of light as.

Colour is just how a function of (mostly arbitrary categories of) wavelengths of light and light [amount, power]

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    but nobody but _J_ has ever in the history of the world claimed that pink is not a colour

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    you could say pink is a color and no one who ever mattered would even care if it was wrong or not

• Options
    goddamn but I switch between british and american english at a high frequency when I'm scuppered

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.