Options

Always Be [Chat]ting

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iiK4MgIPtI

i just have no idea what to do with myself now or how to make the millions that i need to survive.

*thinks*

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    he's almost there and the episodes immediately before THE EVENT (remain indoors!) definitely are worth it (if not while watching them, after it happens)

override367 on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    it's a beautiful song though

it really is!

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    People said it gets better and I'm always willing to give a show a chance to get it's shit together.

some of this looks different by the end of the season

How could it?

You can't retroactively unshit your dialogue and plotting.

You know how with movies they'll drop some shit early on and then it comes up later and you're like oh that's why that happened

AoS does a lot of that, and a lot of what turns out to be important later on doesn't feel choreographed when you see it

So when I say the first 9 episodes are better on the re-watch it's because the main arc seems scattered and poorly connected and certain things might feel like they don't contribute to the big picture

but once you know what the big picture is and return to those 9 episodes you know better.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I watched episode 1 of S.H.I.E.L.D. It was damn awful.

Read forums for the subsequent episodes, waiting for something to happen. Episode 16 aired. People were all "something happened", and I started watching.

Highly recommend this method.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    If you simply must skip ahead I recommend episode 14 because it's kind of important going forward to like the entire season 2 plot line so far

but basically everything after episode 10? 11? starts to get progressively more important

EXCEPT the episode with the two asgard ladies, that's a one off (although something I thought was really strange when watching it turned out to make total sense later!)
    When Ward was mind controlled it took him 0.0 seconds to enact a plan to disappear from SHIELD. I was like, well he's highly trained but come on he already had shit in place for that? How paranoid is he?

5 episodes later: oh thats why

override367 on
  • Options
    watched the wolf of wall street. kinda drank way too much, in the spirit of the movie.

there's a legit blizzard going on outside and I have to get my car in for an oil change and go to the last round of my current not-chemo treatment tomorrow. I must resist the urge to abdicate both of these responsibilities

just so long as you don't need to move your car right now
    The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street-Car-Scene.jpg

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Sonic Runners is out, woop woop.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    My rational brain is that he was an opportunist, just trying doors until he found the one idiot who forgot to lock his. I peeked out my door and he was already running halfway up the street, conveniently hoodied so if I tell the police this I have nothing to give them.

Ugh, today sucks and it hasn't even started. :(

• Options
    No one watches / reads Avengers for Hawkeye.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is "what if all the characters were less adept and interesting than Hawkeye?"

Then it reaches for the stars.
    Then episode 16 happens, and events transpire that impact the larger Marvel universe. I care about the larger Marvel universe. Hurrah.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    more whiskey?

yes I think I shall

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    I will never understand starting a show half-way into a season and forgoing the start

it's like walking into a theatre after the first act's finished

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm sorry Wash but no amount of later episodes can forgive how blandly and badly executed this show has been so far.

It feels like someone trying to emulate a Whedon show and failing through lack of good writing (especially dialogue). Combined with the occasional Gotham-esque bit of "We are totally part of the MCU guys!!!"

The plots are dull and formulaic and been-there-done-that, the characters still barely sketched out and not terribly interesting and there's little interesting being built in the background.

You know what, I think the best description of this would actually be a blander and more boring version of Fringe S1. That's really what this feels like. Less interesting mysteries, less interesting characters, less interesting slowly building mythology. Fringe at least had the desire to gross you out and kill a few people gruesomely in the process. AOS just seems to want to be the blandest procedural ever connected to a comic-book franchise ever produced.

It has showed the occasional moment of promise though. Parts of Eye-Spy, FZZT, and The Girl in the Flower Dress could probably see quality television on the horizon. But then the show bobbed right back down into the abyss.

The hyperbole is strong with this one

• Options
    edited February 2015
    _J_ wrote: »

bro

bro

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    I ended up liking SHIELD later but there's no way I'm going to rewatch the earlies; too much other good tv out there that I haven't seen

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    The thing about Agents of Shield is that Fitz is really pretty

• Options
    Wash wrote: »
    watched the wolf of wall street. kinda drank way too much, in the spirit of the movie.

there's a legit blizzard going on outside and I have to get my car in for an oil change and go to the last round of my current not-chemo treatment tomorrow. I must resist the urge to abdicate both of these responsibilities

just so long as you don't need to move your car right now
    The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street-Car-Scene.jpg

I'm still at the tingle phase, so I'm good

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    I will never understand starting a show half-way into a season and forgoing the start

The first half establishes plot / characters, etc. I can get that from wikipedia.

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm sorry Wash but no amount of later episodes can forgive how blandly and badly executed this show has been so far.

It feels like someone trying to emulate a Whedon show and failing through lack of good writing (especially dialogue). Combined with the occasional Gotham-esque bit of "We are totally part of the MCU guys!!!"

The plots are dull and formulaic and been-there-done-that, the characters still barely sketched out and not terribly interesting and there's little interesting being built in the background.

You know what, I think the best description of this would actually be a blander and more boring version of Fringe S1. That's really what this feels like. Less interesting mysteries, less interesting characters, less interesting slowly building mythology. Fringe at least had the desire to gross you out and kill a few people gruesomely in the process. AOS just seems to want to be the blandest procedural ever connected to a comic-book franchise ever produced.

It has showed the occasional moment of promise though. Parts of Eye-Spy, FZZT, and The Girl in the Flower Dress could probably see quality television on the horizon. But then the show bobbed right back down into the abyss.

no that's an accurate assessment of the earlies

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Ugh, Crota. Anyways, I now have the hunter's helmet (with infusion) which means I can be 32 while wearing Don't Touch Me. unnf. @Irond Will

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

I love him for his mind.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    What is up with all these korean dramas on Hulu.

They all start off with interesting-ish sounding premises

And then the whole pilot will be like, some other dude, doing his shit

Are the Koreans just like, "Look, ok, this will be a young love story in a minute, but first we need you to know how hard her dad works for all this"?

Are the translators purposefully trolling me?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options

I've had this discussion too many times to muster anything more than a "your face is an accurate assessment of the earlies"

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    The Wire: the best show that ever put me to sleep.

Cinders

Cinders Cinders Cinders

Oh hey.

That there sure is a draft I thought I deleted.

@Feral

OI WHATS ALL THIS THEN

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Should I tell my parents what happened? I dunno if they'll offer sympathy or chastise me because my youngest sister stays with me sometimes and I don't want to make it feel like my house isn't a safe haven for her.

• Options

The first half establishes plot / characters, etc. I can get that from wikipedia.

You can't get everything from wikipedia.

It's like saying you get the gist of a song because you read the lyrics on the internet.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Cinders wrote: »
    The Wire: the best show that ever put me to sleep.

Cinders

Cinders Cinders Cinders

Oh hey.

That there sure is a draft I thought I deleted.

@Feral

OI WHATS ALL THIS THEN

Feral surely mistyped

what he meant to say was

THE WIRE IS THE BEST SHOW AND YOU SHOULD WATCH IT

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2015

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is "what if all the characters were less adept and interesting than Hawkeye?"

Then episode 16 happens, and events transpire that impact the larger Marvel universe. I care about the larger Marvel universe. Hurrah.

Hawkeye has his fans, he's no Iron Man but he's an Avengers favorite. Fraction's Hawkeye Hawkguy comics are a cult hit. His fanbase skyrocketed with Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Black Widow became a massive hit with the Avengers, and she was barely above Hawkeye with Avengers fandom before that. AoS had 1 Black Widow-lite person with May in season 1, and now has 2 more with May trained Skye and Bobbi Morse in season 2.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

I love him for his mind.

Wait.

Simmons?

• Options

I love him for his mind.

Wait.

Simmons?

thatsthejoke.jpg

• Options

bro

bro

clint-barton-hawkeye-by-fraction.jpg

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular

You can't get everything from wikipedia.

It's like saying you get the gist of a song because you read the lyrics on the internet.

sure you can

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/blur/song2.html

• Options

I love him for his mind.

Wait.

Simmons?

thatsthejoke.jpg

slowclap.jpg

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options

I love him for his mind.

Wait.

Simmons?

thatsthejoke.jpg

Wait.

I made a joke?

• Options

I love him for his mind.

Wait.

Simmons?

thatsthejoke.jpg

Wait.

I made a joke?

I'll call a doctor.

• Options
    because trance is my guilty pleasure music

here is a nice duo of songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHB_poujXBo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iq3XALT-ig

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options

Hawkeye has his fans, he's no Iron Man but he's an Avengers favorite. Fraction's Hawkeye Hawkguy comics are a cult hit. His fanbase skyrocketed with Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Black Widow became a massive hit with the Avengers, and she was barely above Hawkeye with Avengers fandom before that. AoS had 1 Black Widow-lite person with May in season 1, and now has 2 more with May trained Skye and Bobbi Morse in season 2.

I've decided to rank all superheroes by their effectiveness in Marvel Heroes which means Hawkguy is like a shitty Cyclops who is bad and also not very good

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Yeah, there is nothing hyperbolic in that post. This show is not very good so far. I've seen Cap2, I know where this show is going. It's still bad.

I mean, shit, I just finished two episodes that were just ...
    like, you have an episode to show off how totally connected you are to the movies by showing them cleaning up after the ending of Thor 2, a movie that climaxes with a battle wherein Thor and the bland BadElf jump between worlds repeatedly. And then you completely ignore this after the first 2 minutes to jump to a completely different story in a pair of completely different locations that has nothing to do with the ostensible setup of the episode.

Then follow it up with an episode about a guy who is jumping between two different worlds? Because of an almost completely unrelated phenomenon?
    You have a set up and a story idea that go perfectly together and you put them in two different unconnected episodes?
    Go home AoS writers, you're drunk.

I'm still deeply ashamed some of y'all are still trying to defend this show's start.

• Options

I've decided to rank all superheroes by their effectiveness in Marvel Heroes which means Hawkguy is like a shitty Cyclops who is bad and also not very good

Remember that one time when Cyclops was awful and we wanted him to die?

Man.

That sure was an every time.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Should I tell my parents what happened? I dunno if they'll offer sympathy or chastise me because my youngest sister stays with me sometimes and I don't want to make it feel like my house isn't a safe haven for her.

Probably not. It'd just make them worry or stress them out to no purpose.

But you could talk to your neighbors, let them know about it. If you've got roommates talk to them too, let 'em know to be careful about security, don't leave cash or small valuables that're easy to steal lying around, keep doors and windows locked, that kind of thing.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
This discussion has been closed.