Options

[chat] with Tay Sway

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    How many of these silly VR headsets are going to be out by 2016? Three?
    The Vive, Oculus, and Gear VR should have all fully released by then I'd think. So yes.

Also, there was a kickstarted open source one that should hopefully launch within the next 2 years, plus whenever the PS Morpheus comes out (if it does)

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Nevermind all the other electronics companies that are going to look into this.

Also, Microsoft has to be looking into one that interacts with the Kinect in some way.

Fuck animals, 2016 is year of the snowcrash

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    That Valve/HTC vr set is coming out fast. December 2015? Huh.

valve were partnered with oculus until very recently

theres been a huge vr room in valve for liek 3 years now or something

they have basically the same level of tech afaik atm
    Tech is better at the moment:
    The Vive will pair with something called the Steam VR base station, which lets users walk around a virtual space instead of using a controller. A pair of the base stations can "track your physical location in spaces up to 15 feet by 15 feet," HTC says.

eff Gattis of HTC said the Vive will be so light "you can wear it for a long time without feeling weighed down," and will be available with wireless controllers that enable hand tracking for playing games or manipulating virtual objects.

The hardware features two 1200-by-1080 pixel resolution displays refreshing at 90 frames per second, which means you'll be given a clear, impressive image with little stutter. It also means you're going to need to own a very powerful PC to run VR games at that resolution and at that framerate. If reports that the display will wrap around your entire field of view are true, that's also an impressive leg up on the Vive's competition. We'll be able to test all this when we go hands-on during GDC this week.

So, you can walk around with it if you buy the extra things, it's lighter than the oculus, it has a better FOV, AND nearly double the display specs.

Considering each iteration of the Oculus has been better I think implying we know what the final consumer version of the Oculus is going to be is premature

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Tech is better at the moment

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    mormor's 90th birthday is in three weeks

it will be a large party if nobody but direct descendants show up

also, it is pretty weird that my grandmother is somebody's great great grandmother

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    So all these other headsets will be like that mid-1990s period where all those wiener consoles like the 3DO, the Jaguar, the TurboGrafx 16 were available but no one wanted them.

There will only be two clear winners and a bunch of pretenders.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    So all these other headsets will be like that mid-1990s period where all those wiener consoles like the 3DO, the Jaguar, the TurboGrafx 16 were available but no one wanted them.

There will only be two clear winners and a bunch of pretenders.

Well it depends on the tech specs if they are all close enough it'll be like buying a different brand of the same videocard. Cause Valve is making a standard if everyone conforms to it everyone wins.

• Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    but then again I'm mostly thinking about something not minecraft when I'm thinking of ways to improve minecraft

I am often guilty of this

Turns out Minecraft just isn't quite the game I want!

It just got tantalizingly close, and it sparked my imagination re: changes to make that could get it that much closer to my dream game

last few times I played it I really didn't build anything much except small outposts

I was just exploring and traveling

which is the game I want right now

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    All right I've had it

I'm buying underwear from flint & tinder for whatever they are charging. Like $30 or whatever.

@spool32 they are really really comfortable. I'm just hoping they turn out to be durable as well

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I am wearing my flint and tinder underwear right now they are on my bum

poo
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I need to get back to Yellowstone soon. I love it. Some hiking and fishing around the lake. Watching the geysers. Some more fishing and hiking.

2009-10-28-the-yellowstone-lake-whispers.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    but then again I'm mostly thinking about something not minecraft when I'm thinking of ways to improve minecraft

I am often guilty of this

Turns out Minecraft just isn't quite the game I want!

It just got tantalizingly close, and it sparked my imagination re: changes to make that could get it that much closer to my dream game

last few times I played it I really didn't build anything much except small outposts

I was just exploring and traveling

which is the game I want right now

Like, i'd love a minecraft-style game where you have a ginormoussal procedurally generated world and you explore if and plop down outposts that grow into settlements and you have to ssecure resources and build a trade network and such to grow your settlements into a civilization.

it is never going to be made.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Yeah but unless they announce something cool for it, its just another HMD.

It's valve, not facebook. That seems like a big deal on its own.

John Carmack > anything Valve could possibly do.

I dont care that Facebook is going to want to do some social stuff with it, not going to stop it from being a games device.

We'll see. IMO, Portal is better than anything Carmack has done other than Doom 1/2.

• Options

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    All right I've had it

I'm buying underwear from flint & tinder for whatever they are charging. Like $30 or whatever.

@spool32 they are really really comfortable. I'm just hoping they turn out to be durable as well

One boxer brief, one knit boxer

I am the moderate republican of underwear

• Options
    edited March 2015

I dont care that Facebook is going to want to do some social stuff with it, not going to stop it from being a games device.

We'll see. IMO, Portal is better than anything Carmack has done other than Doom 1/2.
    Carmack is a technical genius, he's more code engineering than making an awesome video game.

The lighting effects in Doom 3 were a big deal for the time it was released.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Carmack is a technical genius, he's more code engineering than making an awesome video game.

I always hear that, but the game was so damn dark they never really showed them off.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

too bad you can't play lightning effects.

• Options

John Carmack doenst makes games anymore he makes tech.

Im way more interested in tech then Valve stringing along fans with shitty HL3 teases and more DotA stuff while still unable to get a functioning support system in place.

/salt

• Options

Portal is a great game but Carmack is a technical genius in the true sense of the word. The guy is unbelievably smart. He invented the genre that portal operates in, and he also invented the rift in the spare time he had between projects...

• Options

Portal is a great game but Carmack is a technical genius in the true sense of the word. The guy is unbelievably smart. He invented the genre that portal operates in, and he also invented the rift in the spare time he had between projects...

Well technically it was him and Palmer Luckey working in parallel

• Options
    Carmack is only 44?

Jesus I thought he was at least 10 years older.

• Options
    Watching the Montana episode is weird.

So Colorado and Montana are different. Montana is closer to what Colorado was say 25 years ago. I was still young but I kind of grew up with some folks from that period. My parents were horse riders and we lived in the country. My dad's best friend is a western painter. Hiking and such is what you do.

But the food is what seems like home though.

Most of it is grilled. Lots of fresh meat. Some veggies. Grilled or broiled. Gravies and biscuits are common.

And the other thing is everyone has dogs and they just roam around with you all the time. Dogs are another part of my life out west which is just how things are.

Stuff changed a bit moving to the suburbs but still grilling was the thing.

Like grilling isn't as common out East but then again less outside time in general. The weather just doesn't work with it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Well technically it was him and Palmer Luckey working in parallel

Wasn't it Palmer doing the product design and Carmack writing all the Code?

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Evening, homps

I am now a Level 12 Destineer

Gotta cool cloak an' everything

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Just finished watching Gone Girl with the wife and went to help her make the bed and she was like "It's alright honey, you're helping me make the bed so you don't have to worry about me trying to kill you in your sleep. Or do you?"

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Wiki's Palmer Luckey
    September 19, 1992 (age 22)

goddamn that makes me feel like a fucking failure all right

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Also, Microsoft has to be looking into one that interacts with the Kinect in some way.

microsoft is wisely going into AR not VR

hololens all up ins

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Also, valve is in the best position of any game company other than MS to push a VR sdk. Everyone wants to be on steam.

• Options
    Sounds like Luckey made his prototype of the Rift and Carmack requested one and he took it to the next level and demoed it at E3 '12 sounds like thats when they started collaborating

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    valve is glorious

all hail valve

• Options

microsoft is wisely going into AR not VR

hololens all up ins

YOU WOULD say that

/kidding

• Options
    tyrannus wrote: »
    valve is glorious

all hail valve

I serve the Newell.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Just finished watching Gone Girl with the wife and went to help her make the bed and she was like "It's alright honey, you're helping me make the bed so you don't have to worry about me trying to kill you in your sleep. Or do you?"

Did you start spoiling movies for her that I was going to watch this evening?

That may also be a point of conflict.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    It is always weird what sets off home sickness.

Also it is weird to be homesick for me. 3 years in Japan I was homesick maybe twice?

But out in DC? I crave my mountains and blue sky. Open plains and dry pine forests.

Weird that the east does that to me but most other places do not.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Oh god. I love browsing the forums on this phone. So much room. So much space. *moon*

Srsly u guys tho I spent a lot of money on this thing so according to capitalism it should make me happy, right?

Right??

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    valve HypnoNarwhal is glorious

all hail valve HypnoNarwhal

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Oh god. I love browsing the forums on this phone. So much room. So much space. *moon*

Srsly u guys tho I spent a lot of money on this thing so according to capitalism it should make me happy, right?

Right??

My iPhone 6+ makes me happy and fulfilled physically, mentally and spiritually.

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Right??

The lies to keep the proletariat down.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.