As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Webcomics Thread: Still the Worst 1973

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    tsplitter wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    I can't see Frieza as a threat anymore after DBZ Abridged.

thats actually my favorite frieza

"Hello, my name is Frieza and we're a traveling improv group.

"Here, let me give you a demonstration.

"My men are a group of drunken sailors and you're a bunch of baby seals. And go. "

*Several nameks are murdered*

"aaaand scene"

@geth approves of Namek genocide

1425199957-2015-03-01-Page-384.png
    http://www.blasternation.com/

and then blasternation brought up memories of my dead father...sweet.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    2015-03-02-GP0297.jpg
    It occurs to me that I have trained for the day I might take flight above Seattle and have learned to flawlessly navigate its skies.

• Options
    RedBeardJimRedBeardJim Registered User regular
    I fully approve of a local traffic reporter called "Grizzly Barry".

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    tumblr_nklrek0grE1r9qk1io1_1280.png

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    tynic wrote: »
    Ironically, that somehow manages to be a very neck-beardy shirt
    It has layers

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    002017.gif

As somebody who re-watched My Fair Lady again recently...

I don't think either Professor Higgins or Eliza Doolittle would be one for riding in a swan boat, much less together.

George Bernard Shaw was so irritated at Hollywood's penchant for making it seem like Eliza and Higgins would end up together that he wrote out an essay explaining what happened to those characters after the end of the play and why they would never get married. In Shaw's version she marries Freddy and they're really quite happy together because he's not intimidated by the fact that she wants to be independent.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Heaven forbid a man and a woman have a relationship between each other that doesn't involve romance.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Atomic Robo Vol 4, Issue 4 is up. After his encounter with Dr. Dinosaur Atomic Robo is in bad mood. New guy Bernard encounters a ghost and it's up to Tesladyne to study this new phenomena. Oh, and Atomic Robo discovers yet another arch-nemesis. How many can one robot have?
    puPVzjU.jpg
    yheDn7O.jpg
    oPn3fJL.jpg

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    qUO3xEZ.jpg

What the hell did I just read?

• Options
    A nit-pick of mine is that the ghost isn't actually incorporeal. If that ball of paper managed to cause that little 'wff' of ectoplasm then there is some kind of interaction going on.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Why are Daria and Quinn in that comic dressed as stewardesses?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Re: Atomic Robo - is that... Emperor Zombie??

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    Actually, it's Thomas Edison.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Mayday wrote: »
    Actually, it's Undead Edison.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Lots of characters in Erfworld are either references or jokes of some kind. A good earlyish example (beyond peeps being a standard unit, that is) might be the Knights in Stanley's Service, who are just a huge reference to KISS up to and including the makeup.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Undeadison

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »

Lots of characters in Erfworld are either references or jokes of some kind. A good earlyish example (beyond peeps being a standard unit, that is) might be the Knights in Stanley's Service, who are just a huge reference to KISS up to and including the makeup.

The core concept behind Erfworld (though I haven't read it in ages and maybe it has changed/been disproven) was that this big-time tabletop strategy geek had put together his perfect campaign and couldn't wait for his gaming group to try it, and somehow got sucked into the world as a physically manifested general for one of the sides. The setting is full of bad puns and weird references because Parson wrote it that way.

Like, he's probably dreaming/in a coma or something but to the best of my knowledge there's never been any sign of a "real world" for him to return to since he was summoned into the game

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

The core concept behind Erfworld (though I haven't read it in ages and maybe it has changed/been disproven) was that this big-time tabletop strategy geek had put together his perfect campaign and couldn't wait for his gaming group to try it, and somehow got sucked into the world as a physically manifested general for one of the sides. The setting is full of bad puns and weird references because Parson wrote it that way.

Like, he's probably dreaming/in a coma or something but to the best of my knowledge there's never been any sign of a "real world" for him to return to since he was summoned into the game

Specifically, the losing side in a war cast a spell to search all dimensions for the general that could lead them to victory

someone who does this "for fun" which of course in our world, given that their laws of physics are basically a tabletop game, you want a hardcore tabletop gamer

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    We interrupt your usually scheduled webcomics thread for Breaking Cat News!

BREAKING-CAT-NEWS-98.png

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

There's been implications that he may not be the only one who wasn't of Erfworld originally.

And yeah it's been a theme for him how the world seems like a parody of his. King Saline IV, for example, rang a bell for him, by being like something he'd hear in a hospital.

Maybe somebody should post from the archives.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I had no idea Erfworld was still going. The last I read it, the artist had to take a really long break due to an illness in the family--I thought it died a slow, text-updated death after that. Really glad to see it's still updating.

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

As to why they are dressed as stewardess's they are artificial beings brought into being by a magical artifact. They are called Archons and their creator is named Charlie, Charie's Archons. A big theme of the series is control and the small amount of control most units in this world have over their life. The Daria and Quinn Archons were created by Charlie and have no real autonomy outside of that. The red Archon has been raised as a special undead by the character Wanda and has a similar blind loyalty to her.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    The first arc would actually be a really good archive post.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

As to why they are dressed as stewardess's they are artificial beings brought into being by a magical artifact. They are called Archons and their creator is named Charlie, Charie's Archons. A big theme of the series is control and the small amount of control most units in this world have over their life. The Daria and Quinn Archons were created by Charlie and have no real autonomy outside of that. The red Archon has been raised as a special undead by the character Wanda and has a similar blind loyalty to her.

ah, they are dressed as stewardesses because they're archons, makes sense

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Almost all the mages in the story are based on mages from pop culture. Sanaki from the Radiant Fire Emblems is in there, even

It's fun playing spot-the-mage

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BlueBlue wrote: »

ah, they are dressed as stewardesses because they're archons, makes sense

They are dressed in a uniform that implies service and subservience because they were created to serve.

I thought that was clear. I am sometimes bad at giving people enough information.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    i am prepared to accept their outfits if they can fly

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    2908.png

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Almost all the mages in the story are based on mages from pop culture. Sanaki from the Radiant Fire Emblems is in there, even

It's fun playing spot-the-mage

Most mages are not dressed like stewardesses, it needs to be said, and most of the stewardesses aren't based on characters from pop culture. It's actually not clear why Daria is an Archon. You'd think she would be a regular mage from the Magic Kingdom

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    1425335899-18-26.png
    Wow what a nice cousin really A+

Kiwi Blitz

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    2908.png

He's soooo saaaaad

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    5yi2TAq.png
    ECatPkj.png
    It's true.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    People who always have to be right do tend to have few people willing to be near them.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    I hate the robot

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    I hate the robot

zay

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    561c661dfeYHq.png
    Man, literally sucking the Golduck's life away but smiling all the while. Oddish is frikkin' brutal.
    mokepon.smackjeeves.com/

Welp, time for her to toss out her second Pokemon. Right?
    fc99a97ebIiXw.png

Ohhh right. Guess he just got himself a second Badge then.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    HWa3bzg.png

pfft ANOTHER giant shadow monster god stalking through a forest in your comic JJ? all your characters are so generically HIPSTER ugh

http://www.alicegrove.com/

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
This discussion has been closed.