As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[House of Cards] We don't submit to terror.

• Options
    frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular
    Jeedan wrote: »
    So many people seem to have paid no attention to Claire from previous seasons:
    She has always been the one who has more of a heart. Frank is the one who murders people without doubt or emotion, when he wavers it is at the seemingly impossible tasks and he despairs at his ability (not his willingness) to overcome them. Claire often shows up here, from her uninvolved position, and firms up his resolve and his confidence.

Claire is the one who has emotions that she keeps in check to do what they do. Fuck, did you people not watch season 2? She cries after the First Lady calls her a good person while she and Frank are in the middle of destroying the President's life. That is not the cold, calculated, always in control person you've been describing. I think she can be cold and calculating and is mostly in control.

I also think it's helpful to take a moment and consider the actual situation she found herself in. She walked into the cell as the triumphant hero, come to free this man and take away a powerful weapon from Dunbar. She immediately runs into a brick wall with his refusal. She spends an exhausting day arguing with this man and when she finally gets a break in his facade and he seems to relent, to be open to the proposal, she closes her eyes for a moment only to wake and find this just living man strung up above her is now a corpse and who had died inches from her body and most important of all: That she had massively fucked this all up.

In their relationship before the White House Claire obviously had an equal hand in the planning and plotting phases but execution was primarily Francis's job just because of the fact he was the actual office holder. Francis, far more often than not, came through on the execution. Now she's been given a position where she has to be the one to execute these plays and be responsible for making them happen and she keep massively fucking them up. To say her self confidence and self control is at a bit of a low ebb is massively understating things.

None of that excuse the fact that they did this to a female lead. They weakened a female character. Sure there were hints, and it wouldn't have been an issue if it was anybody else, but it's problematic that they did it with the female lead.

You can't do that in this day and age. It's just in bad taste and nobody cares how much it was telegraphed and written into the story.

So you can't show a female character as having weak moment (I disagree Claire is weak in any case) regardless of how its written into the story?

You can, but it tends to be problematic in ways that doing it to a male lead is not. Given the stereotypes existent in society and the vast gap in power there's a reason it's OK to do this to some groups, but should never be done to others. In one case it's enforcing the patriarchy and sexist, in another it's fighting against power for justice and equality.

• Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    To discuss with huge spoilers:
    I really don't think of Claire as a weak character. In fact, I think she finally realizes she was the key behind much of Francis' power. At the end, when she decides to leave him, this really is the one act of power she will always have over him. That she can choose to leave him, and he, being wifeless, becomes relatively powerless as his marital troubles become the highlight of the upcoming election. Further, she can hold it over him for further power, if she decides to go back with him.

However, she only has to gain from interviews and notoriety, and building the narrative of Francis Underwood. He stands to lose everything, which is unacceptable to him.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Jeedan wrote: »
    She has always been the one who has more of a heart. Frank is the one who murders people without doubt or emotion, when he wavers it is at the seemingly impossible tasks and he despairs at his ability (not his willingness) to overcome them. Claire often shows up here, from her uninvolved position, and firms up his resolve and his confidence.

Claire is the one who has emotions that she keeps in check to do what they do. Fuck, did you people not watch season 2? She cries after the First Lady calls her a good person while she and Frank are in the middle of destroying the President's life. That is not the cold, calculated, always in control person you've been describing. I think she can be cold and calculating and is mostly in control.

I also think it's helpful to take a moment and consider the actual situation she found herself in. She walked into the cell as the triumphant hero, come to free this man and take away a powerful weapon from Dunbar. She immediately runs into a brick wall with his refusal. She spends an exhausting day arguing with this man and when she finally gets a break in his facade and he seems to relent, to be open to the proposal, she closes her eyes for a moment only to wake and find this just living man strung up above her is now a corpse and who had died inches from her body and most important of all: That she had massively fucked this all up.

In their relationship before the White House Claire obviously had an equal hand in the planning and plotting phases but execution was primarily Francis's job just because of the fact he was the actual office holder. Francis, far more often than not, came through on the execution. Now she's been given a position where she has to be the one to execute these plays and be responsible for making them happen and she keep massively fucking them up. To say her self confidence and self control is at a bit of a low ebb is massively understating things.

None of that excuse the fact that they did this to a female lead. They weakened a female character. Sure there were hints, and it wouldn't have been an issue if it was anybody else, but it's problematic that they did it with the female lead.

You can't do that in this day and age. It's just in bad taste and nobody cares how much it was telegraphed and written into the story.

So you can't show a female character as having weak moment (I disagree Claire is weak in any case) regardless of how its written into the story?

You can, but it tends to be problematic in ways that doing it to a male lead is not. Given the stereotypes existent in society and the vast gap in power there's a reason it's OK to do this to some groups, but should never be done to others. In one case it's enforcing the patriarchy and sexist, in another it's fighting against power for justice and equality.

I feel like you're coming from a good place but totally missing the boat here

handicapping all characters of a particular gender, class, race, etc. is absolutely not the right way to fight for equality

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

Her showing emotions or having a heart/conscience is weak? Why? I find her character fascinating and more relatable than Francis who is fairly sociopathic at times.

In this day and age female characters can be written as complex beings with conflicting motivations and reactions. I don't feel at all that Claire underwood is a badly written character or that her character having emotions is problematic. She can also be ruthless and clearly is going directly after what she wants whenever possible.

I'm on ep 7 btw so please no replies with later spoiler points (Or at least label them then I will reply in a couple days after finishing the series). I have liked this season so far but really liked Claire in seasons 1 and 2

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Also I am on board with tooooooo much Doug plz stop show

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »

Can nobody else see the setup of Claire
    Joining the Presidential race

throughout this season? I don't call that weakening the character at all.

I think this was always the plan once Frank got his 2 terms + 1.5 years. The UN job was to start to build her credit for future running. It is basically too late
    to run in this election, a caucus behind even with how they love claire is nto going to work, and I dont think this show is as silly to make her run against her husband in primaries.

I liked how you could see her want to stab the person she was talking to everytime they said "husband" instead of "president"

I was more thinking
    Claire would end up running with the opposition candidate. I think she sees Frank as broken goods, her ultimate goal still stands but she now wants it with someone else.

While I know the reality of the politics is quite silly. It isn't the strangest thing to happen in the political world.

Also
    Frank has been taking far bigger risks and failing. Without Claire, Frank doesn't even have anyone who will ground or challenge his decisions anymore. next season im hoping we will see the 'drunk with power tyrant' in public.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Finished.
    What a shitty, boring season. Practically a different show entirely compared to Season 1 and 2, the only cool scenes were the moment in the church and the final meet with Putin. It felt through and through like they just had to spin up some bullshit to keep it going past Season 2, where it really should have ended. It was so convoluted and filled to the brim with meaningless soapy sub plots. They had a potentially interesting idea going with Putin as Tusk 2.0, but dropped that in favor for the unbelievably boring Claire/Frank introspection by way of Mickey Doyle. The last thing this show needed was more introspection into these characters, we already had enough, it's strength is high camp entertainment and Season 3 all but abandoned it.

As for Claire, she had every opportunity to succeed on her own yet has shown herself to be an entitled, incompetent idiot who actually does need Frank. I really can't stand her character and I still don't get why I'm supposed to empathize with her unhappiness, especially when the writing for her is so inconsistent. She was an emotional mess the entire time, it was so tiresome.

Bubby on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Finished.
    What a shitty, boring season. Practically a different show entirely compared to Season 1 and 2, the only cool scenes were the moment in the church and the final meet with Putin. It felt through and through like they just had to spin up some bullshit to keep it going past Season 2, where it really should have ended. It was so convoluted and filled to the brim with meaningless soapy sub plots. They had a potentially interesting idea going with Putin as Tusk 2.0, but dropped that in favor for the unbelievably boring Claire/Frank introspection by way of Mickey Doyle. The last thing this show needed was more introspection into these characters, we already had enough, it's strength is high camp entertainment and Season 3 all but abandoned it.

As for Claire, she had every opportunity to succeed on her own yet has shown herself to be an entitled, incompetent idiot who actually does need Frank. I really can't stand her character and I still don't get why I'm supposed to empathize with her unhappiness, especially when the writing for her is so inconsistent. She was an emotional mess the entire time, it was so tiresome.

I'm going to agree with all of this. Stretching this out to a 4th season really shows and the ending fizzled. They could've wrapped this up as a tight third part, nothing was gained from where they went.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

I think this was always the plan once Frank got his 2 terms + 1.5 years. The UN job was to start to build her credit for future running. It is basically too late
    to run in this election, a caucus behind even with how they love claire is nto going to work, and I dont think this show is as silly to make her run against her husband in primaries.

I liked how you could see her want to stab the person she was talking to everytime they said "husband" instead of "president"

I was more thinking
    Claire would end up running with the opposition candidate. I think she sees Frank as broken goods, her ultimate goal still stands but she now wants it with someone else.

While I know the reality of the politics is quite silly. It isn't the strangest thing to happen in the political world.

Also
    Frank has been taking far bigger risks and failing. Without Claire, Frank doesn't even have anyone who will ground or challenge his decisions anymore. next season im hoping we will see the 'drunk with power tyrant' in public.

Unless the show really goes batshit, its realistically too late with Iowa already being finished I think? Even with everyone approving of her, her track record is worse than his on issues and appearances. Besides appearing tough on russia she has nothing.

Realistically?
    VP for opposition maybe

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I was really disappointed when I realized that they were dragging it out for a 4th season. At the start of this season I would never have thought that it wasn't even going to make it to the end of the primaries - Frank's re-election was the main driving plotline from the very beginning, and they should have brought it to a conclusion. I was expecting this season to be his downfall, but I could have lived with him winning re-election and Season 4 describing his real presidency, probably ending in impeachment. Instead though they padded it out with a lot of boring filler like the pointless writer (why did he exist again?) and Doug's continued obsession with Rachel, who obviously wasn't saying anything so the lengths he went to made no sense.

• Options

I was more thinking

Also

Unless the show really goes batshit, its realistically too late with Iowa already being finished I think? Even with everyone approving of her, her track record is worse than his on issues and appearances. Besides appearing tough on russia she has nothing.

Realistically?
    VP for opposition maybe

Thats exactly what I was thinking is going to happen for Season 4.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    S3E5
    I am super amused that in the job tent they only had "Banking", "Entry Level", "Laborer" and "Finance" stations. Like, I can totally see the writer's room brainstorming for types of jobs and desperately trying to avoid "writer".

Also, Barbecue guy! Such feels.

It actually just made me want some ribs, to be honest

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Season 3 last episode
    I totally thought that Doug was going to get caught red handed killing Rebecca, Frank would really be boned then.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Even though this season wasn't very exciting, I could listen to Frank threaten people all day. I love Kevin Spacey.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    S3E12
    Oh no, writer dude. You already know Meachem hates you, don't threaten to write this book

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    ugh doug
    I miss super competent badass enforcer doug
    hopefully after tying up his loose ends this season, he's able to go back to being that dude again, though sadly too little too late
    it'll be immensely satisfying to see him shitcan seth next season though

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular

I was more thinking

Also
    My dream for Frank would be for him to go into one of those I'm going to destroy you speeches and have the press get wind of it the week before election. Though I have a feeling he will make it to his second presidency and then the house of cards will come down. It will probably have something to do with doug and the writer and reporter get wind of it. Or it might be multiple things at once. Its like pick a scandal there are so many to choose from.

• Options

I was more thinking

Also
    My dream for Frank would be for him to go into one of those I'm going to destroy you speeches and have the press get wind of it the week before election. Though I have a feeling he will make it to his second presidency and then the house of cards will come down. It will probably have something to do with Doug and the writer and reporter get wind of it. Or it might be multiple things at once. Its like pick a scandal there are so many to choose from.
    After thinking about it, Season 4 will most likely have Frank suffer paranoia considering he has only Doug left in the inner circle (and it seems to be leading to Doug most likely suffering a seizure from stress/pressure. He was doing minimal work this season and had some serious attacks so God knows what working for Frank again will do).
    I do hope Claire ends up running for the Republicans for a VP role, she single handedly got Frank that win and in the public eye stood up to bootleg Putin. The public are pretty much saying that they would rather be voting for her than Frank. In the end we know that she struggles being a diplomat and crumbles under intense pressure so its a sorts false prophet situation but it would be great for Frank to see how powerful she really is.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Anyone remember that TV interview Frank did in S1, where he seems to be suffering some sort of breakdown (he almost sounds as if he's having a stroke)? If so, has that one ever come to make any sense to you?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    "I'm leaving you" is not how you should end a season of House of Cards.

This season had way too much Claire trying to be Frank. I did not care about Remy and his crisis of faith. I certainly don't give two shits about writer dude who mumbles too much. What was the point of that new reporter lady outside of basically being writer dude's girlfriend? I'm just about sick of Doug of his ridiculous addiction storylines.

The first half of this season was good. The second half of this season sucked enormous balls. Characters felt limited in a way they've never felt before and not in a good way. More like bad writing.

I'm also calling it. Frank has cancer.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    S3E4
    That's a solid backstab, Solicitor General.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Like, I never liked Doug that much, but I understood his purpose. In the pursuit of power, his services were justifiable.

By the last episode of season 3, though, his purpose is no longer justifiable.
    RIP Cassie. Fuck you, Doug.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yeah... though it makes me wonder what the whole point of the Cassie story was. Just introduced a whole bunch of characters who did a bunch of nothing.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    Yeah... though it makes me wonder what the whole point of the Cassie story was. Just introduced a whole bunch of characters who did a bunch of nothing.

wait, what? could you elaborate?

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    "I'm leaving you" is not how you should end a season of House of Cards.

This season had way too much Claire trying to be Frank. I did not care about Remy and his crisis of faith. I certainly don't give two shits about writer dude who mumbles too much. What was the point of that new reporter lady outside of basically being writer dude's girlfriend? I'm just about sick of Doug of his ridiculous addiction storylines.

The first half of this season was good. The second half of this season sucked enormous balls. Characters felt limited in a way they've never felt before and not in a good way. More like bad writing.

I'm also calling it. Frank has cancer.

this season was
    bad

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

wait, what? could you elaborate?
    I can only assume he's talking about the final episode where we meet all the new people in "Cassie's" life.

The answer of course is so we were reminded she's a real person and that we can be pulling for Doug to believe her when she says she wants to cause no problems and he can totally leave her and she'll never ever tell anybody anything.
    So so we care when Doug does believe her....and kills her anyways.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I'm more talking about the broader storyline. But I need to spoiler things and I'm phone posting so I'll do it later

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I'm more talking about the broader storyline. But I need to spoiler things and I'm phone posting so I'll do it later
    It's to remind us that Frank never leaves loose ends, just a trail of corpses and broken people incapable of any sort of retribution. He's got a long memory, and no empathy to speak of.
    And when he did show empathy this season, to the Supreme Court justice with Alzheimer's, it immediately came back to bite him.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Finished season 3.
    I, too, felt that this was a far weaker season than the previous two. We got to watch Frank gradually drive almost everyone away, even Claire, but none of that was terribly unexpected or interesting. Also, way too much Doug. Too much pointless writer-dude and his girlfriend. Too much Remy + Jackie romance subplot.

I still liked it, overall. Mostly because of Claire, who's been my favorite character since the beginning. She pretty much carried this season.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I feel like we could've gotten from episode one to the finale in a lot less dumb path, I do not care about Doug, and I really only watched out of a sense of obligation, but I am willing to wait and see what happens next.

I just finished so I'll probably write more tomorrow.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    It's to remind us that Frank never leaves loose ends, just a trail of corpses and broken people incapable of any sort of retribution. He's got a long memory, and no empathy to speak of.
    And when he did show empathy this season, to the Supreme Court justice with Alzheimer's, it immediately came back to bite him.
    What show of empathy are you talking about? Unless I'm missing something, his interaction with the justice was about getting something. He wanted the justice to stay on the bench because it provides political benefits and manipulated him into staying. Then he decided to use the associate justice nomination as a bargaining chip with Dunbar and tried to manipulate him into leaving. No empathy there, just his normal political games.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Oh, so funny story, episode 11ish. Probably earlier but I want to be careful. Also, a book spoiler.
    You know that meeting with fake Putin in the bunker, where he tosses Underwood some water and makes a comment about how they brought along a huge supply, it'd be terrible to get caught without water?

It's totally a reference to the books. Final Cut, the last book in the trilogy, revolves around the Cyprus conflict and Prime Minister FU creating a federated state out of the Greek and Turkish halves. One big plot point is how the British military gets involved, they get ambushed by Greek Cypriot guerrillas, and ultimately surrender because they didn't bring enough water with them. I don't know if the same happens in the Final Cut serial.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    What show of empathy are you talking about? Unless I'm missing something, his interaction with the justice was about getting something. He wanted the justice to stay on the bench because it provides political benefits and manipulated him into staying. Then he decided to use the associate justice nomination as a bargaining chip with Dunbar and tried to manipulate him into leaving. No empathy there, just his normal political games.

Nah he totally shows some empathy at first. Don't worry though, it quickly goes away

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Frank at first wants the justice to stay on so he can avoid an unneeded senate battle, convincing him not to retire. When he needs Jacobs to retire so he can nominate Dunbar and sideline her, Jacobs says that he was right the first time and wants to keep going as long as possible. At that point, Frank could go full court press and basically strongarm him (Alzheimer's affected a court hearing earlier); Frank turns around and asks the camera "Must I destroy this man? No."

The really interesting thing here is that Jacobs keeps asking Frank what he's saying when he talks to the camera, implying that being mentally impaired gives you the ability to detect the Fourth Wall, but the important bit with regard to Frank is that he could've forced the issue, but didn't because he respected Jacobs. Of course, it all goes sour when we find out that Dunbar and Jacobs are friends, and they actually talk to each other to learn that Frank is politically motivated.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Two things that would have made this season more interesting.

Frank actually not planning on running an election. How cool would it have been if Frank didn't bother with the election bullshit and went full court press against the congress critters.

Claire running for President after Frank.

Those two characters always work better as a power couple.

• Options
    Further Thoughts on House of Cards Season 3
    I would rate this season as a C. The trend seems to be downward, I'd put 1 at A, 2 at B and now here. I'm hoping that next season is 1.) the final season and 2.) a lot more interesting with more things happening.

I think, in the end, it would've been better if Doug had died last year and we no longer had the Gavin/CassieRachel plots to worry about. I also didn't give a shit about Remy's struggles in the slightest.

The author/book plot I actually liked, I thought it was interesting and it was nice seeing Frank dealing with someone other than Claire as a person.

I didn't really buy Claire's decision to leave Frank, they should'n't have had the re commitment ceremony and coming together story if they were just gonna piss it away in the finale.

Petrov was a cool character, and I'll assume him and the Chinese will ally to fight Emperor Underwood next season.

I think Claire running against Frank could be interesting and make for good stories.

Basically you could've gone from the finale of season 2 to the finale of season 3, skipped all the episodes in between, and not missed a tick and that is, to me a mistake.

Hopefully season 4 is the end and they can wrap this stuff up in a delicious horrible bow.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Doug (Season 3 finale)
    In order for his plot to work, Rachel really needed to be a real threat. Too many fakeouts over something that the audience probably barely remembers. Like, she didn't have any smoking gun over Russo's death. She didn't see anything, she didn't even know how any of it was really connected to Frank. The entire thing was that she might come into the orbit of someone who might be able to draw conclusions regarding Frank's involvement and might have a motivation to use her against him.

But Frank already murdered and framed everyone with a motive or opportunity to do that. There was nobody left, politically or in the press, who had any clue. Even if there was, Cassie had no interest in any of it and just wanted to live her life. The entire thing is pointlessly brutal and petty.

Which, of course, is the point. That doesn't make it compelling television, it just makes me want Doug to randomly explode into viscera offscreen somewhere, and never bother me again.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I just got to the part everyone is complaining about and I think everyone is pretty misguided about it.

They've clearly been setting this up for a while.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Frank at first wants the justice to stay on so he can avoid an unneeded senate battle, convincing him not to retire. When he needs Jacobs to retire so he can nominate Dunbar and sideline her, Jacobs says that he was right the first time and wants to keep going as long as possible. At that point, Frank could go full court press and basically strongarm him (Alzheimer's affected a court hearing earlier); Frank turns around and asks the camera "Must I destroy this man? No."

The really interesting thing here is that Jacobs keeps asking Frank what he's saying when he talks to the camera, implying that being mentally impaired gives you the ability to detect the Fourth Wall, but the important bit with regard to Frank is that he could've forced the issue, but didn't because he respected Jacobs. Of course, it all goes sour when we find out that Dunbar and Jacobs are friends, and they actually talk to each other to learn that Frank is politically motivated.

regarding the justice
    It was mind boggling to me that Frank wouldn't realize that the lead attorney for the govt would be familiar or on good speaking terms, at least, with the justices she appeared before. especially the ones that seem to be on the same side of the political spectrum. Of course she already knew about his diagnosis. Duh, Frank.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Well that was immensely disappointing. :(

I have a hard time understanding how S1 and S2 could be so astoundingly good and manage to completely piss away almost every appealing aspect of those seasons.

13 episodes of basically nothing happening at all. S1 and S2 could stand on their own and still be fantastic individually. I struggle to think of ways they could make this season feel in any way necessary even with a return to form for S4.

It just didn't feel like the same show. Frank didn't feel like the same Frank, and Claire didn't feel like the same Claire. Hell, I noticed Spacey slip into his Clinton impression a few times this season, it felt like even he didn't know what was going on. :rotate:

I spent most of the last half of the season hoping
    Frank would have Claire offed, a semi-reversal of the British S3, which would also have the side effect of handing him the next two elections and return some of the tension of S1/2 where he always had to be one step ahead of someone, hiding these things and so on.

This season just played like a cynical West Wing, really. There was virtually no tension at all, and what little there was, were more minor loose ends from the first two seasons.

EDIT: It also didn't help that pretty much all of the new characters this season were paper thin and existed pretty much for single plot points. Weak ones at that. And the
    supposedly 'bulldog' new reporter had no teeth and did absolutely nothing. Seriously, why was she there? I'm sure they'll give her something important to do, before she's killed off, in S4, but good lord, what a waste of time that plotline was

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand