As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] Go post in the new thread

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Usually when DC feels uncertain about something, even if that uncertainty isn't justified, you can bet on more Batman. Batman spin offs, Batman retcons, Batman shakeups, Batman team ups, other heroes being more like Batman. He's the one character they always seem confident with (even when they're fucking up Batman they double down and fix it with more Batman). Look at their lineup change: There was already a lot of Batman in the New 52, but with the label drop there's even more, it's just Batman and Batman related halfway down the damn list.

The same formula that Marvel used (still uses?) with Wolverine. Does a book need a boost in readership? Put him on the cover. Do they need a bit more? Wolverine crossover into one of his main books. Need even more? Foil fold out Wolverine cover? I don't even know.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Asharad wrote: »
    As others have said, it was a pretty good movie. It just wasn't a very good Superman movie.

I don't get why. MoS was a terrible movie. It lacked any coherent narrative, the characters were flat, and is filled with laughably bad scenes like pa Kent's death, him talking to the priest, and the neck snapping.

Maybe entertaining is a better word than good.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    Usually when DC feels uncertain about something, even if that uncertainty isn't justified, you can bet on more Batman. Batman spin offs, Batman retcons, Batman shakeups, Batman team ups, other heroes being more like Batman. He's the one character they always seem confident with (even when they're fucking up Batman they double down and fix it with more Batman). Look at their lineup change: There was already a lot of Batman in the New 52, but with the label drop there's even more, it's just Batman and Batman related halfway down the damn list.

The same formula that Marvel used (still uses?) with Wolverine. Does a book need a boost in readership? Put him on the cover. Do they need a bit more? Wolverine crossover into one of his main books. Need even more? Foil fold out Wolverine cover? I don't even know.

Wolverine is kinda dead at the moment, so...

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

...Deadpool.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Asharad wrote: »
    As others have said, it was a pretty good movie. It just wasn't a very good Superman movie.

I don't get why. MoS was a terrible movie. It lacked any coherent narrative, the characters were flat, and is filled with laughably bad scenes like pa Kent's death, him talking to the priest, and the neck snapping.

There's also a lot of bad acting, or directing. None of the Kryptonians, other than Zod and Faora, expresses any kind of emotion or personality. Even when Krypton explodes, Lara's like, "eh."

Kevin Costner was also very bland and emotionless.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Man of Steel.

With that said, as a huge Superman fan, the movie was a terrible representation of who the character is and what he stands for.

I'm hoping that the next movie fixes some of that.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

...Deadpool.

Also being killed off.

• Options

...Deadpool.

Also being killed off.

....off topic, but is there ANY character death that happens in comics that doesn't generate a reasonable "welp, he'll be back in a few months" nowadays? I mean, even Ultimate Peter Parker, who was supposedly never ever ever going to come back was brought back, fer chrissake.

• Options

...Deadpool.

Also being killed off.

....off topic, but is there ANY character death that happens in comics that doesn't generate a reasonable "welp, he'll be back in a few months" nowadays? I mean, even Ultimate Peter Parker, who was supposedly never ever ever going to come back was brought back, fer chrissake.

Deadpool being killed off is more of a joke, making fun of Wolverines death. It almost certainly won't be permanent. Hell we're going to get probably a half dozen alt-universe Wolverines running around during secret wars, so you even where's dead, he's still showing up.

• Options
    Reign of the Wolverines:

Teenage Wolverine
    Cyborg Wolverine
    Adamantium
    The Stabbinator

All four show up claiming to be the real Wolverine. It could be any of them, it could be none of them.

Secretly, I almost want this story lol.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Teenage Wolverine is X-23
    Cyborg Wolverine is Albert
    Adamantium and Stabbinator still up in the air

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Adamantium is Adam Ant.

1e9cae6e8305aaf14dc85ecb20043411.jpg

Stand and deliver, bub.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Chris Pine is rumored to be in the running for Hal Jordan in Justice League. Good casting. It's a pity John Stewart* isn't the GL. :(

http://www.movieweb.com/justice-league-movie-cast-chris-pine-green-lantern
    It has long been rumored that, at the end of Warner Bros. and DC Comics' Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, the Justice League will be assembled, comprised of Batman (Ben Affleck), Superman (Henry Cavill), Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot), The Flash (Ezra Miller), Cyborg (Ray Fisher) and Aquaman (Jason Momoa). Naturally, this will lead into Justice League Part 1 in 2017 and Justice League Part 2 in 2019, but there is still one member of the team who has yet to be cast, Green Lantern. We still don't even know if Warner Bros. plans on using the Hal Jordan version of Green Lantern or John Stewart at this time, but, if a new rumor turns out to be true, Chris Pine may be playing Hal Jordan.
    Latino Review's El Mayimbe reveals that Chris Pine is the name he "keeps hearing & floating around," but he also stresses that it's only an unconfirmed rumor. While Green Lantern isn't expected to pop up in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, the character will still need to be cast fairly soon, since production will likely begin on Justice League Part 1 sometime next year. Ironically, Chris Pine was actually in the running to play Hal Jordan in Warner Bros.' 2011 version of Green Lantern, a role that ultimately went to Ryan Reynolds.
    This news also comes just a few hours after Common revealed that he would love to play the John Stewart version of Green Lantern, a role he was actually attached to play back in 2007 in director George Miller's Justice League: Mortal, although that project fell apart due to the writers strike. Tyrese Gibson has also been campaigning to play John Stewart, but we still don't have any confirmation from the studio on which Green Lantern fans can expect in the two-part Justice League movie and the Green Lantern reboot. Do you think Chris Pine is a good fit for Hal Jordan? Or would you rather see Common or Tyrese Gibson play John Stewart? Let us know what you think, and we'll keep you posted as soon as we have official word on Green Lantern's status.
    Justice League Part 1 comes to theaters November 11th, 2017 and stars Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck, Amy Adams, Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa, Ezra Miller. The film is directed by Zack Snyder.
    Green Lantern (Reboot) comes to theaters June 19th, 2020.

Sources: El Mayimbe

chris-pine-talks-star-trek-2-plot-107422-470-75.jpg

* not Common or Tyrese. WB can do better than that for Stewart.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Common is a terrible actor.

Guy Gardner should be this movie universe's GL.

It goes against my "American jobs for American heroes" philosophy, but McNulty as Hal Jordan would be pretty cool to see.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Naturally, this will lead into Justice League Part 1 in 2017 and Justice League Part 2 in 2019...

Naturally

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Latino Review's source is a guy named El Maybe?!?

Joolander on
  • Options
    Oh wait this is Latino Review? Other movie sites are just using LR to get their own clickbait stuff to fuel this nonstop comic clickbait ooroboros machine?

Fuck it, this is why I just let this forum post the important stuff.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I read the above as Chris Pratt and was WTF?

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Chris Pine would be good for Hal.

I really want Stewart though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I'd rather have Guy strictly so the movie can have some humor. I fear it won't.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

It depends which version of Guy they put in, I've only seen him used in the comics back when he was in the JLA years and years ago and haven't kept up with him in the animations but he was either an ultra violent douche or super sweet pacifist depending on the last time he was hit in the head.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

It depends which version of Guy they put in, I've only seen him used in the comics back when he was in the JLA years and years ago and haven't kept up with him in the animations but he was either an ultra violent douche or super sweet pacifist depending on the last time he was hit in the head.

Obviously "One-Punch" Guy is the one we need.

...though I think Kyle would be a good alternative, as long as there are no fridges in the movie.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If the JL cartoon is any indication, Flash will be the comic relief anyways.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    It will always be Hal, because Johns.

sig.gif
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    If the JL cartoon is any indication, Flash will be the comic relief anyways.

You assume that there is any space for mirth in the DCMU.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Knowing DC, they'll accidentally make their movie Flash into a creepy voyeur checking out people showering in slow mo for their idea of "humor."

• Options
    edited March 2015
    DCCU Flash peeps, while Superman stalks ex-girlfriends.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    What Batman's going to be doing in Suicide Squad.

http://www.chud.com/161399/batmans-connection-to-suicide-squad-revealed/
    Good ol’ El Mayimbe and his super scoops. If today’s scoop is true (and I trust Mayimbe quite a lot), it offers us our first peek into the timeline and plans behind DC’s cinematic universe. While you should still tag this as a rumor, Mayimbe’s track record has more successes than failures.

According to the Latino Review writer, Suicide Squad will take place before Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and Batman’s role will be one shrouded in mystery. Basically, he has been operating almost sight unseen for X amount of years, and this has pissed the government off big time. They want to find Batman because they believe him to be “the key to tracking down all the supers.” The reason that they have employed The Joker in the movie is because he is the only person that has ever met Batman, which makes him a valuable asset to Amanda Waller, the person who puts together the Suicide Squad.

You know, I’ve been pretty hesitant about Suicide Squad. It’s a concept more fit for television than a feature film, and making it such a linchpin for the DC cinematic universe seems like the bad kind of bizarre to me. I’m also not on board with Jared Leto as The Joker, but that has more to do with me really not digging Leto as a persona as opposed to what his/the film’s interpretation of the Clown Prince of Crime will be.

However, this information about Batman and Joker’s relationship is pretty cool. We’ve known that Batman’s role in BvS: DoJ (does it look worse as a title or an initialism?) was going to be as an invisible boogeyman that comes out of hiding to deal with the Superman situation, but hearing that The Joker is the only known character to have any interaction with Batman (according to El Mayimbe, the government has some footage of Batman in action) is different and mythical. You might wonder what that means for Commisioner Gordon, but if you’ve been keeping up with the rumors regarding BvS: DoJ (god that is ugly), you know that Gordon has been killed off before that movie starts.

Suicide Squad has the potential to be the good kind of bonkers, and this new info shines a little more optimism on DC’s eventual plans for a connected universe of films, but I’m still treading lightly here. DC has a lot of work to do, and I don’t want to get too excited because if they blow it, it’ll be pretty disheartening.

Time for your opinion, Chewers. What do you think of this new development in the DC movie world? Does it give you hope that DC knows what their doing?

3103195-peering+sam+what+is+this+i+don't+even.jpg

• Options
    Nope.

Nu-uh.

No Way.

More than anything, I wish this The Maybe guy would stop getting to be such clickbait for all these sights.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    So Batman hasn't captured any other criminals? Or they're all tied up in his basement.

I'm going to assume this is more of a 'the Joker being on the loose is guaranteed to draw Batman out' thing.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    No movie could possibly hold up to the amount of scrutiny, hype, counter-hype, and counter-counter-hype that these DC films are being subjected to.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Astaereth wrote: »
    No movie could possibly hold up to the amount of scrutiny, hype, counter-hype, and counter-counter-hype that these DC films are being subjected to.

Sure they could, DC isn't immune from criticism. It's not Marvel's fault they're run by idiots. Did you read the piece? Did you notice the plot holes?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

Good ol’ El Mayimbe and his super scoops. If today’s scoop is true (and I trust Mayimbe quite a lot), it offers us our first peek into the timeline and plans behind DC’s cinematic universe. While you should still tag this as a rumor, Mayimbe’s track record has more successes than failures.

According to the Latino Review writer, Suicide Squad will take place before Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and Batman’s role will be one shrouded in mystery. Basically, he has been operating almost sight unseen for X amount of years, and this has pissed the government off big time. They want to find Batman because they believe him to be “the key to tracking down all the supers.” The reason that they have employed The Joker in the movie is because he is the only person that has ever met Batman, which makes him a valuable asset to Amanda Waller, the person who puts together the Suicide Squad.

You know, I’ve been pretty hesitant about Suicide Squad. It’s a concept more fit for television than a feature film, and making it such a linchpin for the DC cinematic universe seems like the bad kind of bizarre to me. I’m also not on board with Jared Leto as The Joker, but that has more to do with me really not digging Leto as a persona as opposed to what his/the film’s interpretation of the Clown Prince of Crime will be.

However, this information about Batman and Joker’s relationship is pretty cool. We’ve known that Batman’s role in BvS: DoJ (does it look worse as a title or an initialism?) was going to be as an invisible boogeyman that comes out of hiding to deal with the Superman situation, but hearing that The Joker is the only known character to have any interaction with Batman (according to El Mayimbe, the government has some footage of Batman in action) is different and mythical. You might wonder what that means for Commisioner Gordon, but if you’ve been keeping up with the rumors regarding BvS: DoJ (god that is ugly), you know that Gordon has been killed off before that movie starts.

Suicide Squad has the potential to be the good kind of bonkers, and this new info shines a little more optimism on DC’s eventual plans for a connected universe of films, but I’m still treading lightly here. DC has a lot of work to do, and I don’t want to get too excited because if they blow it, it’ll be pretty disheartening.

Time for your opinion, Chewers. What do you think of this new development in the DC movie world? Does it give you hope that DC knows what their doing?

I think the idea of Batman being an urban legend could have legs but wtf is this shit about them having killed of Gordon?!

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

According to the Latino Review

Uh huh.

• Options

I think the idea of Batman being an urban legend could have legs but wtf is this shit about them having killed of Gordon?!
    Except he can't have not met anybody for ARGUS to talk to during his career, and he's not in his prime anymore. Surely there are dozens of criminals who have met him face-to-face and witnesses - even Gordon when he was alive. Also, how do they know he's capable of putting down supers? Plot holes errywhere.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

Sure they could, DC isn't immune from criticism. It's not Marvel's fault they're run by idiots. Did you read the piece? Did you notice the plot holes?

You simply can't judge a movie on a thousand little out of context tidbits about the plot. It's absurd.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options

You simply can't judge a movie on a thousand little out of context tidbits about the plot. It's absurd.

Not the finished product, but as of now there are plot holes in the story line from that rumor. It's also not like MOS didn't have plot holes, they don't have Marvel's experience with ironing that out yet.

• Options
    The reason that they have employed The Joker in the movie is because he is the only person that has ever met Batman

....what.

I mean, I can understand the urge to try to connect Suicide Squad to the rest of the cinematic universe (though the SS concept alone could easily carry a movie, but whatever) but that setup sounds pants-on-head stupid.

• Options
    The DCU sounds pants-on-head stupid thus far.

I'm hoping it turns out better than they are leading us to believe it will.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I get that batman is a popular character. Seriously I do.

But for fucks sake DC/WB, if you don't care enough about the rest of your IP's to develop them properly then you need to give up on any intention of competing with Marvel in the summer movie market.

It's not like you don't have dozens of other interesting and compelling characters; SS is great as a vehicle to introduce a crap ton of characters of amoral bent being sent by the darker parts of the government to do dirty jobs. It begs for a Tarantino approach to the setting and would give you some honest to god legs for competing against marvel.

Just stop trying to shoehorn Bruce into every fucking movie.

Because I'm fucking sick of the guy.

This discussion has been closed.