Options

[DC Movies] Go post in the new thread

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'm hoping that in a movie that will have Harley, one of the more fun DC characters, that they at least allow some fun in the movie.

Although it still bothers me that in DC's mindset, a movie that stars a team of villains gets precedence over actual DC heroes. Go figure...

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I'm hoping that in a movie that will have Harley, one of the more fun DC characters, that they at least allow some fun in the movie.

Although it still bothers me that in DC's mindset, a movie that stars a team of villains gets precedence over actual DC heroes. Go figure...

Clearly you haven't seen the animated Suicide Squad movie. Harley was just there for sex.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    InkSplat wrote: »

Clearly you haven't seen the animated Suicide Squad movie. Harley was just there for sex.

Yeah, the animated SS movie tried for "fun" and it just wound up being degrading and gross.

It's been said before, but Take Superior Foes of Spider-Man, make the characters more competent, darken it to reasonable levels and you're golden.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

Ugh, I haven't watched it yet...but this saddens me so much. :(

Whelp, I guess it's reasonable to assume it'll be similar.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Yeah, the animated SS movie tried for "fun" and it just wound up being degrading and gross.

It's been said before, but Take Superior Foes of Spider-Man, make the characters more competent, darken it to reasonable levels and you're golden.

They already have a great template for the Suicide Squad movie, the "Task Force X" episode in Justice League Unlimited. Just do that.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    For decades, DC and Marvel Comics have maintained a good-natured rivalry with the latter often referring to the former as “The Distinguished Competition”. Although discussions among fans don’t always maintain quite the same level of decorum, the “DC vs Marvel” debate is one that’s probably not going to be settled anytime soon. That isn’t stopping Warner Bros. chairman-CEO Kevin Tsujihara, however, from throwing some gasoline on the fire.

“The worlds of DC are very different,” Tsujihara said today at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media & Telecom Conference (per Variety) “They’re steeped in realism, and they’re a little bit edgier than Marvel’s movies.”

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    You know what also has edges? Cliffs.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    For decades, DC and Marvel Comics have maintained a good-natured rivalry with the latter often referring to the former as “The Distinguished Competition”. Although discussions among fans don’t always maintain quite the same level of decorum, the “DC vs Marvel” debate is one that’s probably not going to be settled anytime soon. That isn’t stopping Warner Bros. chairman-CEO Kevin Tsujihara, however, from throwing some gasoline on the fire.

“The worlds of DC are very different,” Tsujihara said today at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media & Telecom Conference (per Variety) “They’re steeped in realism, and they’re a little bit edgier than Marvel’s movies.”

Darker* isn't edgier, dude.

* literally and figuratively

• Options
    Yup, there's nothing more realistic than a guy who can break every law of physics to a ridiculous degree, aliens with the technology to travel across the universe and have colonized thousands of worlds deciding that they just have to colonize the earth, risking the future of their entire species in the process, rather than going to some uninhabited planet where they would meet no resistance, and a major metropolitan city being demolished with almost no consequence.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    The only series 'steeped in realism' is the last couple Batmans. I don't see how Superman and Green Lantern are more realistic, or the older Batmans.

Not that realistic is a good thing to aim for, though. I mean, realistic doesn't get you Guardians of the Galaxy.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    'Edgier' just makes my eyes twitch when used in any context.

• Options
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Wut

If anything it's usually the opposite. DC's characters are generally representative of ideals while Marvel's stories tend to focus on the more human element of their characters.

You're bad at comics, Mr. Tsujihara.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    That's edgy in a more 90s sense. :P I'm not sure that's what he was referring to.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I'm pretty far from an expert, and what little I know comes from the movies and from Marvel comics, but from what I've read and heard around the net my impression has been that you get more grimdark in DC (which much of the time is to edgy what "mature" is to mature, if you know what I mean). Is that the films more than anything else?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Wut

If anything it's usually the opposite. DC's characters are generally representative of ideals while Marvel's stories tend to focus on the more human element of their characters.

to be fair it shouldn't come as any surprise at this point that a WB CEO doesn't understand these IP. its the very core of their problem.

Marvel have embraced the fact that there's a farcical element to what they are doing, while never actually descending into farce. WB are scared of the fact that their making movies based on comic books and every attempt suffers as a result. even some of their best efforts have been from people who didn't want to make comic book movies. until WB change their thinking, they're always going to have more failures than successes.

• Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    I'm pretty far from an expert, and what little I know comes from the movies and from Marvel comics, but from what I've read and heard around the net my impression has been that you get more grimdark in DC (which much of the time is to edgy what "mature" is to mature, if you know what I mean). Is that the films more than anything else?

Ehhhhhh

Both properties are huge and have decades of story telling so it isn't a hard and fast rule. But generally DC's characters symbolize different ideals in a positive manner. Superman is the best of what humanity could be, Flash represents what science could achieve, Green Lantern puts duty above personal desires, Batman rises up to face fears, etc. Obviously none of these are set in stone and the characters have been reinterpreted over the years but those are what the characters have often come to symbolize over time. And aside from Batman tend to have fairly optimistic story lines.

Marvel's character's meanwhile have come to represent character archetypes. Spiderman's the outcast teenager, Fantastic Four are the bickering family, Stark is a flippant playboy, etc. Their stories often revolve around being people first. Spiderman is trying to just get bills payed, the FF are trying not to let their relationship drama break them apart, Stark is battling with alcoholism. And that's why I'd say they tend to deal with more "mature" subject matter since their stories often revolve around real life problems. Again it's not hard and fast as there's still plenty of symbolism with their characters. But most people tend to think of them as people first before what they represent.

Meanwhile both companies have their share of grim dark tones. I wouldn't say either's especially heavier in that department compared to the other. Warner Bros just thinks for some reason that's the only way to present comic book characters for some dumb reason. There's a reason a lot of Superman fans hate the most recent movie. It bore little resemblance to the character or what he normally represents and pushed being "edgy" over being Superman.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    When people want a grittier and more realistic superman, they're not saying that aliens and someone flying are impossible.

They're saying they don't want Christopher Reeve's Superman.

They want basically a comic book interpretation of the characters from this century. One that deals with big shit blowing up and Superman smashing big bad guys that are just as strong as him. They want Superman dealing with real problems that his powers bring him. Stuff like, "Do I kill this bad guy to save humanity, or is there a better way?" Or the fact "I'm so alone, yet I'm not, I can use this."

They don't want a happy go lucky Clark Kent bumbling around metropolis lifting heaving things.

Basically they want bad ass fight scenes and Superman doing super stuff. Or Batman being an absolute dick.

They want the tone of the movies to be "Shit is going down, and we need some friends who are super to save us."

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    That's still doable though! Without Superman being a broody sad sack for two hours who then inadvertently kills half of Metropolis. He doesn't have to be unbridled optimism and sunshine but that doesn't mean he needs to be a jerk either.

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular

Wut

I feel like DC is more susceptible to weird grim bullshit stories these days precisely because they want to shed the image of being uncool, which is a problem marvel doesen't have, and thats likely to continue with their film series.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I figured it was because they saw the lightning in a bottle that was The Dark Knight and has been chasing it ever since.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Also the poop in an anti-bottle that was Green Lantern chased them away from light heartedness.

• Options
    I figured it was because they saw the lightning in a bottle that was The Dark Knight and has been chasing it ever since.

Definitely. They don't seem to understand that the Batman trilogy was a good interpretation of Batman. So now they're trying to make everyone Batman.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    So now they're trying to make everyone Batman.
    Which makes me imagine a sketch where a whole bunch of DC superheroes audition, delivering their take on the gravelly "I'm Batman," though some might go for "I'm the goddamn Batman." And most likely Deadpool will sneak his way in there as well, despite being Marvel.

Edit: There'll be an after-credits scene of the Martian Manhunter going, "Darkness... No parents..."

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options

Wut

Hasn't been like that for ages. While it's true to an extent for the DC icons, the general tone for the Marvel and DC universes are virtually identical. Or they used to be pre New 52.

• Options

TRANSLATION: All our movies will be grimdark as fuck.

Never mind that a flick can be realistic AND light-hearted, but execs gotta oversimplify everything.

As far as comics go, one of the main gripes I've heard about new 52 is that very few of them have a lighter touch. Meanwhile Marvel Now encouraged their books to be more fun.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    "On my world, it means hope."

"We aren't on your world anymore."

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    You know, I don't see Marvel movies as being any less dark than DC movies. They have gone to some damn dark places, and that's ignoring that we're probably staring down the barrel of an actual race war in Cap 3.

Being less colorful is not the same as being more dark - Winter Soldier was darker than Man of Steel, with more questionable morality and more personal sacrifices by the heroes. Just because they didn't wash out the color balance until it made a Call of Duty hallway look like Chinese New Year doesn't mean it wasn't dark. It was just colorful.

Hell, Guardians went to some dark places (not as much as Winter Soldier or even Avengers, but damn close), and didn't even have to stop having goofy light hearted fun to do it. "Here's a villain who's hammer will cleanse life from the galaxy and the revenge-obsessed maniac whose life he destroyed. Here's a tree arguing with a Racoon. Now here's all of that together set to some 70's music that in no way fits the tone of the scene."

It's not like DC can't do this. Dark Knight made use of bright colors to contrast Joker against Batman's black. It didn't sacrifice dark themes to do it.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Hevach wrote: »
    You know, I don't see Marvel movies as being any less dark than DC movies. They have gone to some damn dark places, and that's ignoring that we're probably staring down the barrel of an actual race war in Cap 3.

Being less colorful is not the same as being more dark - Winter Soldier was darker than Man of Steel, with more questionable morality and more personal sacrifices by the heroes. Just because they didn't wash out the color balance until it made a Call of Duty hallway look like Chinese New Year doesn't mean it wasn't dark. It was just colorful.

Hell, Guardians went to some dark places (not as much as Winter Soldier or even Avengers, but damn close), and didn't even have to stop having goofy light hearted fun to do it. "Here's a villain who's hammer will cleanse life from the galaxy and the revenge-obsessed maniac whose life he destroyed. Here's a tree arguing with a Racoon. Now here's all of that together set to some 70's music that in no way fits the tone of the scene."

It's not like DC can't do this. Dark Knight made use of bright colors to contrast Joker against Batman's black. It didn't sacrifice dark themes to do it.

There's a difference between dark and grimdark.

You're right, Cap 2 went to some dark places. But grimdark means you can't have any jokes or lighthearted moments whatsoever (Cap 2 and Dark Knight did, Man of Steel had maybe one), and the hero has to at least smolder with generic rage or at least not give a shit when civilians get killed.

Dark Knight isn't grimdark. Man of Steel absolutely is.

And sure, DC could make a dark flick that's not grimdark, but Superman v Batman: Too Many Heroes looks absolutely grimdark so far.

• Options

henry-cavill-man-of-steel-superman-hard-to-pee-wb.jpg

"That's what I'm going to take from them first.."

latest?cb=20130407020128

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular

Was that actually used in the movie?

G'Nort on a cracker that's sad if true. If not then damn that's eerily good DC movie mimicking.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Was that actually used in the movie?

G'Nort on a cracker that's sad if true. If not then damn that's eerily good DC movie mimicking.

It is, but it wasn't used like that in MoS. It was in the trailers, I think? "What's the S stand for?" "It's not an S. On my world it means 'hope'." "Well...here, it's an S. How about...Super--" And then feedback cuts her off.

• Options
    "On my world it means "hope... you have really good insurance."

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    The thing that infuriates me with the decision to make everything grimdark is that it shows just how completely and utterly DC's movie team does not understand the characters they have at their disposal.

Doing a grimdark Batman movie is fine, since thematically Bruce is still that kid who watched his parents get gunned down and wanted to stop it from happening; it forms the core of his being. And you know what? there are other characters DC has they can do this with too! Etrigan, Huntress, Constantine and Specter are all characters you can totally do brooding stories about where it fits their character.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    There's a difference between dark and grimdark.

I get the distinction, but I was more responding to that bullshit quote from the Warner Brothers guy up there who did not. And a number of people in this thread are using the terms interchangeably.

Gaddez wrote: »
    The thing that infuriates me with the decision to make everything grimdark is that it shows just how completely and utterly DC's movie team does not understand the characters they have at their disposal.

Doing a grimdark Batman movie is fine, since thematically Bruce is still that kid who watched his parents get gunned down and wanted to stop it from happening; it forms the core of his being. And you know what? there are other characters DC has they can do this with too! Etrigan, Huntress, Constantine and Specter are all characters you can totally do brooding stories about where it fits their character.

Usually when DC feels uncertain about something, even if that uncertainty isn't justified, you can bet on more Batman. Batman spin offs, Batman retcons, Batman shakeups, Batman team ups, other heroes being more like Batman. He's the one character they always seem confident with (even when they're fucking up Batman they double down and fix it with more Batman). Look at their lineup change: There was already a lot of Batman in the New 52, but with the label drop there's even more, it's just Batman and Batman related halfway down the damn list.

That said, the whole grimdark thing with Batman depends on who you put him up against, because a few of his more iconic villains are themed around comedy. Batman lends himself to it well, but his rogues gallery doesn't.

Hevach on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Marvel is not dark. It's a very light tone. Even Winter Soldier is light in tone. That's not a bad thing and it doesn't mean they don't deal with serious issues, but it's just a matter of tone. It's why you can see the difference between how Nolan's trilogy and an MCU film handle their subject matter.

Marvel has built their entire multi-franchise film empire around a specific style and tone. (basically, the Iron Man template)

DC is trying to do the same thing based off Nolan's trilogy. Except they a) don't actually understand what made Nolan's films work, b) haven't gotten anyone competent enough to make it work and c) are trying to jam that tone onto characters where it just doesn't work.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Marvels movies are "fun". You like watching them, because you laugh at the humor and you awe at the fights and special effects and they still have their serious and poignant moments in the midst of that.

DCs movies.... are less fun. I want them to be fun, but they don't seem to get the right balance that Marvel does, and for me I'm left just feeling awkward. I watched Man of Steel because at first glance I thought okay, he looks like a good Superman, this could be fun. But it wasn't fun. It was horrible and left me feeling nothing for the character and rolling my eyes more times than I could count.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I heard everyone talking about grimdark and thought DC was making a Warhammer 40K movie.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Superman didn't kill civilians in Man of Steel I wish people would stop with that bullshit. He obviously cared because that's what Superman does and it's implied because in order to stop Zod he sort of needed to fight him, not go lift some heavy stuff off the people to save them. It could have helped that they showed this more, but I think Snyder was banking that everyone knew how Superman felt about helping people.

Most of Metropolis was abandoned near the start of the world engine doing its shit anyways, so those buildings they were blasting into in the last fight scene were empty.

Also that was Zod doing that. Superman was just doing the best he could to stop it. Pretty hard to do considering you're the only person with super powers. He did a damn good job.

Zod said Supes wouldn't be able to stop him from killing people either. He sort of forced Big Blue's hand into killing him. Still isn't out of character for Superman to do when there's literally no options left, especially a novice Superman.

It's like you guys didn't even watch the movie or just blindly accepted what was going on and became willfully ignorant of Superman's mythos.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I don't doubt Superman didn't intentionally kill civilians.

He just leveled a city while many of them were still there. Which they were. You can assume they were somehow evacuated in a few minutes but that sure doesn't explain all the people running from the buildings collapsing around them.

I actually enjoyed the movie but Man of Steel Superman was terrible. Flat out. He was an uncaring jerk for the vast majority of the movie who could have stopped a lot of the collateral damage if he'd ever actually cared to.

This discussion has been closed.