As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies]: All Australia jokes, all the time

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Honestly, it feels like there just aren't a lot of really great heist movies. It's a very specific and recognizable form, but too few movies really transcend it. Or even really fulfill it in that super competent way. (Ronin, for instance, can only sustain things for about half the running time.) There's very little in cinema to match, like, the Parker novels--that really hardboiled feel.

I want my Darwin Cooke Parker movies now, dammit.

Preferably directed by Soderberg or the Coens, starring Josh Brolin.

I'll settle for Michael Shannon if Brolin is not available.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I have been trying to imagine what a Marvel helmed Spider-Man movie will be like, and for the life of me I just can't.

I honestly think they should retroactively make the Raimi movies canon and make Parker a legacy hero that has been working in the background. Then introduce Miles and have Parker act as his mentor.

That way we get the best of both worlds, Parker and Miles in one movie. Then we can get McGuire in one more movie. (Shut up, I actually enjoyed Toby)

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Would Dog Day Afternoon be a heist movie? That one is great

Heist movies tend to be more about the actual heist and its set-up, while I recall DDA being more about the fallout of the heist after it all goes bad. Kinda like Reservoir Dogs, yes? Maybe it's some subset of heist films, or just sort of heist-adjacent.

It was a great movie, though. The end was a gut-punch.

I'm fairly certain John Cazale has the highest percentage of "films acted in that received academy award nominations" in history. He only appeared in five films before his untimely death, and each one was nominated for Best Picture.

• Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I have been trying to imagine what a Marvel helmed Spider-Man movie will be like, and for the life of me I just can't.

I honestly think they should retroactively make the Raimi movies canon and make Parker a legacy hero that has been working in the background. Then introduce Miles and have Parker act as his mentor.

That way we get the best of both worlds, Parker and Miles in one movie. Then we can get McGuire in one more movie. (Shut up, I actually enjoyed Toby)

You do know that the Donald Westlake/Darwin Cooke Parker books are not about Spider-Man, right?

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

You do know that the Donald Westlake/Darwin Cooke Parker books are not about Spider-Man, right?

Yea, I know, it just got me thinking...and then I realized that I jotted my musings down in a thread that doesn't really care.

So it was me not paying attention all over the place. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    I'll still ride for Donnie Darko. It's definitely self-important and figuring out the details of the needlessly convoluted plot requires a walkthrough, but it's also got great atmosphere, good performances, a killer soundtrack, and lots of funny moments. Someone mentioned John Hughes and it does have a bit of a demented Hughes vibe, all that 80s pop music and teenage high school drama, just with a transdimensional wormhole dropped in the middle. It's not successful in everything it tries to do, but it's a genuinely original and weird idea.

I still love this scene, and how much information it manages to convey without being able to hear a single spoken word. Scene of the film for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsyfGwlf_l0

Plus, I mean, Patrick Swayze is amazing in it. Also, Gyllenhall absolutely nails "teenager who thinks he's smarter than he actually is."

Originally, and for most of development, the guy attached to play Donnie was Jason Schwartzman. Can you imagine that movie?

No. Actually, no, I can't conceive of it. Unless I re-imagine the whole movie as a Wes Anderson affair.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I still think that the 2nd Raimi Spiderman movie was one of the best superhero movies put to film.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Archangle wrote: »
    My favourite heist movies that I haven't seen mentioned:
    Formula 51
    Snatch
    Lock, Stock, & 2 Smoking Barrels
    Eh... In the case of Snatch the heist that kicks off the chain of events is finished by the opening credits, and nominal protagonists Turkish and Tommy aren't even aware that either the diamond heist or the resultant bookie heist have taken place.

I've always felt the Bookie heist in Snatch to be one of the funniest sequences ever put to film, but I'm weird like that.

I just love the exchange with the lady.

"I'm not buying that."

"I'm not fucking selling that, its a fact."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I still think that the 2nd Raimi Spiderman movie was one of the best superhero movies put to film.

I wouldn't go that far... but I do think that Doc Oc had one of the best supervillain character arcs put to film, which made it a pretty damn good film and my favorite of the three.

Also, that hospital scene still makes me giggle.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    How did the guy responsible for the character of Ash and all that went along with him in Army of Darkness create a Spider-Man so devoid of humor? There is a lot to like about Raimi's versions, but the title character isn't one of them. And there is a lot to hate about Webb's vision of Spider-Man, but in costume banter isn't one of them. I'd suggest mashing the 2 directors up to get a great Spider-Man movie, but you'd still be left with shitty antagonists with some of the worst design ever.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    How did the guy responsible for the character of Ash and all that went along with him in Army of Darkness create a Spider-Man so devoid of humor? There is a lot to like about Raimi's versions, but the title character isn't one of them. And there is a lot to hate about Webb's vision of Spider-Man, but in costume banter isn't one of them. I'd suggest mashing the 2 directors up to get a great Spider-Man movie, but you'd still be left with shitty antagonists with some of the worst design ever.

I largely blame Toby McGuire for this; he's way, way, way too earnest to be Spiderman, especially as written. I honestly don't think he could've aced the snark required. I liked the movies, but hearing Toby trash talk would have taken me out of it.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options

How did the guy that made Evil Dead, Drag Me to Hell, and Spider-Man 2 make Oz, The Great and Powerful?

• Options
    How did he make For the Love of the Game? Raimi takes pay check movies obviously. I still think my favorite movie of his is Quick and the Dead.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    If we have the Raimi Spiderman I hope he doesn't cry when things start going crazy.

Womp womp womp!

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Raimi Spider-Man best (film) Spider-Man.

I really don't think Spider-Man snark translates well to film, and I'm glad he left it out.

I mean, there was humour and wit all over the rest of those movies, and aside from it not being the Spider-Man many fans seemed to want, they are the most comic-booky (in that they capture a specific, idealized era) of all the comic book movies.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    How did he make For the Love of the Game?

Tangent: If you only watch the parts of it pertaining to baseball, that's a really good baseball movie.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

I largely blame Toby McGuire for this; he's way, way, way too earnest to be Spiderman, especially as written. I honestly don't think he could've aced the snark required. I liked the movies, but hearing Toby trash talk would have taken me out of it.

I have to imagine this is an unpopular opinion, but this is where I'm sad that Andrew Garfield won't get a longer run at Spider-Man, because I actually quite liked him in the role.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Barring Jamie Foxx as Electro, I really liked the casting in the Webb films. Those movies failed pretty much entirely in the script. All the other pieces were in place.

It just turns out that, you know, the story and every piece of dialogue comprise a somewhat important part of a film.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    I actually liked Garfield in the role too. I also thought that Spidey's personality was done wonderfully.

But like @ElJeffe said, the plot of the movies was all over the place in quality and most of it was bad. And dear lord the villains were terrible in both movies. So so soooo bad.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    God I keep forgetting about Drag me to hell. I need to watch that again ASAP.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Barring Jamie Foxx as Electro, I really liked the casting in the Webb films. Those movies failed pretty much entirely in the script. All the other pieces were in place.

It just turns out that, you know, the story and every piece of dialogue comprise a somewhat important part of a film.

Ugh, that was such a waste. Foxx should've been the new J Jonah Jameson.

Yeah, the script was hot garbage for both ASMA movies. Both of them are about Magic Blood? REALLY?!

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Fast & the Furious movies have mostly bad-to-terrible acting, bad stories and scripts, yet are somehow able to be entertaining and not a train wreck.

Is this the Nos factor?

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Fast & Furious movies work because they embrace the cheese. When a dude in a movie just straight faced says "I live my life a quarter mile at a time" you have no choice but to just enjoy yourself.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Fast & the Furious movies have mostly bad-to-terrible acting, bad stories and scripts, yet are somehow able to be entertaining and not a train wreck.

Is this the Nos factor?

It's tailor-made for mass appeal.

Charismatic recognizable actors, visceral action, low concept, good guys win.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    If you ain't out of control, you ain't in control

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I never thought that Tobey Maguire's Spidey was dour, as some seem to see him here, but then I never read any of the comics. I remember him being fairly internalised but still having a self-deprecating sense of humour.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Tobey's Peter Parker was a completly acceptable interpretation.

Tobey's/Rami's Spider-Man was legit terrible and literally left out half of Peter's characterization from the comics.

It dosen't hurt the quality of the movies, but it is a massive gaping void whenever he suits up and instead relies on the villian to set the tone.

• Options
    Again, duders, the Marvel thread. Use it. Love it. Embrace it. Touch its leathery erogenous zones.

• Options
    Again, duders, the Marvel thread. Use it. Love it. Embrace it. Touch its leathery erogenous zones.

I thought that thread was MCU? Or is it just the "comic book movie" thread now?

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The MCU thread is for the MCU. Non - MCU films can be discussed in here. Spidey is kind of a fringe case now, but to the extent this thread doesn't descend into three page tangents on Spider-Man every two days, i see no problem with taking about it here.

If you want to talk Spidey's role in upcoming films, that's MCU.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Lord help me, I kinda want to see the new Mission: Impossible.

I've seen all of them and found them to be a profound mixture of inane plots and terribly charismatic people performing insane stunts.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I can't keep up with the MCU thread, and I don't want to see some of the spoiler stuff in there about upcoming things

I'd advocate for discussion of Marvel movies in here when talking criticism of movies that have come out. It's when you start getting into the entire universe and how do they fit together and which hero are they doing next that I think it should go in MCU thread.

Just my two cents

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    MI 1: good, slow burn with nice camerawork and really long shots. And I always feel sad for Emelio

MI 2: this must have been one of Australia's first "film here for half off" tax credit movies, because it all made no sense and felt like a way to do the least yet get the most. And Woo's action stuff did not translate well for an American movie, that last act in the bunker and the chase afterwords looks so cheap. That rock climbing scene in the beginning was absolutely cool though.

MI 3: trying way too hard and has no rewatchability, Abrams does shots that make no sense (like Cruise running and the constant shot that was filmed on a line, it makes no sense because it's not like he's turning into The Flash), and there's no twist with Fishburne at all or the story in general, no matter how they tried to make it seem like that.

MI 4: The best one, just a very good action movie all the way around, and it has little touches like Cruise breaking out of prison and asking the camera to help him, or when he wakes up in the hospital the translation doesn't read right because he's trying to get his bearings. Just fun.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    God I keep forgetting about Drag me to hell. I need to watch that again ASAP.

I watched the... extended cut or something to that nature where extra footage was added back in. It was terrible. Watch the theatrical and never look back. I almost wonder if they made gag reel takes of scenes, and put those in. The actors were doing lines so badly you would think its either a joke or they wanted that shot removed from the film.

One of the highlights of the film has to be the apple gag with justin long soon after he stopped doing the apple commercials.
    an apple product is in every scene with justin long, as if raimi is mocking him, eventually leading to a scene where the iphone in the scene is bigger than him. It's almost like a B plot extra horror story, he can never escape

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Cruise is just a charismatic dude so watching the next MI is a no brainer, and Mcquarrie did a good job directing him in Jack reacher so I'm on board with his MI. And hey they brought back Ving Rhames!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Lord help me, I kinda want to see the new Mission: Impossible.

I've seen all of them and found them to be a profound mixture of inane plots and terribly charismatic people performing insane stunts.

I was completely surprised at how much I enjoyed Ghost Protocol. I was kind of forced to watch it by my wife, and in the end I was appreciative cause I love a good action movie and it hit all the right notes while being pretty great as a movie in general.

• Options
    It also has the right amount of Simon Pegg. Like he's the garlic of movies. Too much and its all you can see in the movie, too little and you wonder why he's even there in the first place. MI4 was peak pegg.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    MI 1: good, slow burn with nice camerawork and really long shots. And I always feel sad for Emelio

MI 2: this must have been one of Australia's first "film here for half off" tax credit movies, because it all made no sense and felt like a way to do the least yet get the most. And Woo's action stuff did not translate well for an American movie, that last act in the bunker and the chase afterwords looks so cheap. That rock climbing scene in the beginning was absolutely cool though.

MI 3: trying way too hard and has no rewatchability, Abrams does shots that make no sense (like Cruise running and the constant shot that was filmed on a line, it makes no sense because it's not like he's turning into The Flash), and there's no twist with Fishburne at all or the story in general, no matter how they tried to make it seem like that.

MI 4: The best one, just a very good action movie all the way around, and it has little touches like Cruise breaking out of prison and asking the camera to help him, or when he wakes up in the hospital the translation doesn't read right because he's trying to get his bearings. Just fun.

Yep, this checks out.

Michelle Monahan got a raw deal in MI4.

• Options
    I still couldn't tell you who the villain of MI4 was.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I still couldn't tell you who the villain of MI4 was.

Gravity.

This discussion has been closed.