As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Objective: Defend Convoy to New Space Sim Thread for 5:00 Minutes

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    It's not what Bigity is asking for since it's an rts, but I really wish that Flagship game had met it's Kickstarter goal. It's still being worked on despite not getting funded, but they're having to cut a lot of the proposed content due to the fact that they're working on it in their spare time. It looked so damn cool too

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    .....Thinking about this got me thinking about that episode of SG-1 where the Prometheus is attacked and Carter is knocked out. Then she comes to with an empty ship adrift in a nebula that's slowly tearing the ship down.

Fuck, that entire episode would be a great game.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    .....Thinking about this got me thinking about that episode of SG-1 where the Prometheus is attacked and Carter is knocked out. Then she comes to with an empty ship adrift in a nebula that's slowly tearing the ship down.

Fuck, that entire episode would be a great game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_Critical_(video_game)

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Man I'd love to have nerdy enough friends to play Artemis with. Even my video gaming buddies laughed at me when I brought it up.

I'll be over here in the dweeb corner.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    It plays over the Internet now, doesn't it?

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    It plays over the Internet now, doesn't it?

But it's not the same!

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Now that's a blast from the past... That was the only Legend game I ever bought, played and finished. I don't remember all that much, mainly one guy's log or diary entry about how his parents were killed by nanomachines and Commander Worf without make-up, but I remember enjoying it.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Now that's a blast from the past... That was the only Legend game I ever bought, played and finished. I don't remember all that much, mainly one guy's log or diary entry about how his parents were killed by nanomachines and Commander Worf without make-up, but I remember enjoying it.

I love pretty much every Legend game, and that one is up there as one of my favorites. You basically wake up with no memory of the last few hours alone on a starship that has a hull breach and engine coolant leak that's about to go critical, and you have to work on repairing the ship and figuring out what the hell is going on.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Doesn't look like Descent Underground is going to hit it's KS goal. 9 days left at 325k out of 600k. I guess they might make it by the skin of their teeth with a big push at the end.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Doesn't look like Descent Underground is going to hit it's KS goal. 9 days left at 325k out of 600k. I guess they might make it by the skin of their teeth with a big push at the end.

Yeah. Well, I backed it, because Descent you guys! But I'd much prefer a focus on less multiplayer battle arena and more engaging sci-fi singleplayer storyline, as I think most people probably do. Descent was released way before online multiplayer was common or convenient, so the nostalgia most people have for the game probably isn't for the mp aspect. Also, the general tone and personality of those updates just doesn't jive with me... It's a little too self-celebratory, too much marketing speak, and not honest and personal enough.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    I haven't backed it because I felt that they were telling me Descent, you guys! without showing me Descent, you guys! On the other hand, I'm probably also a bit Kickstartered out, so it takes more for me to pledge to a project nowadays than it did in the heady, Veronica Mars and Double Fine Adventure-drunk days of 2012.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I haven't backed it because some of the crowd-funded games I have either bought into or followed haven't followed through on core features of the promised gameplay. Star Citizen sounds like they're putting some serious pain points for F2P and I'm no longer convinced the single player campaign is a central part of their strategy. Elite doesn't have offline singleplayer, group play is effectively not there, and there is a distinct lack of things to do in the game.

I'm very wary of prepurchasing an imcomplete game.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    For me, Kickstarter has never been/felt like prepurchasing a game so much as patronage; the majority of games I've backed have resulted in interesting titles that may not correspond 100% to what I'd want them to be but that are different from the majority of what is developed these days. These guys, from what little I've seen, simply didn't get me excited enough about the potential that's there. Perhaps it's that I was too casual a Descent fan (I loved the first one but never got into the second or the third), but obviously I'm not the only one who wasn't grabbed by the campaign.

I do think, though, that 2-3 years ago it would've been financed much more swiftly; these days even something like Underworld Ascendant gets much less of a response than similar projects during the early Kickstarter excitement.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Star Citizen sounds like they're putting some serious pain points for F2P and I'm no longer convinced the single player campaign is a central part of their strategy.

... what?
    Thirith wrote: »
    For me, Kickstarter has never been/felt like prepurchasing a game so much as patronage; the majority of games I've backed have resulted in interesting titles that may not correspond 100% to what I'd want them to be but that are different from the majority of what is developed these days.

Absolutely this.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Star Citizen sounds like they're putting some serious pain points for F2P and I'm no longer convinced the single player campaign is a central part of their strategy.

... what?

Obviously they're still tinkering with things, but last I read, you had to put in something like 16 hours of gametime to rent a week on a top end ship. That's a pain point, one you can bypass with money. The emphasis from what I've seen is on multiplayer modes and the persistent universe.

I just want Privateer 3: The Privening. That's why I backed it. I may look at the persistent universe and decide I'd like to run my cargo in peace rather than get ganked by the asshole in a kitted out Hornet. I'd like to run a set of missions that has some kind of a story being told over 20-40 hours, and if I feel like it make my own story with the shared universe.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

... what?

Obviously they're still tinkering with things, but last I read, you had to put in something like 16 hours of gametime to rent a week on a top end ship. That's a pain point, one you can bypass with money. The emphasis from what I've seen is on multiplayer modes and the persistent universe.

That's, uh ... That's certainly one way of looking at it, I guess.

The other way is that, hey, this is the pre-alpha, people who backed for ships can play with those ships, CIG added a way for people who didn't back for those ships to still play with them, and no additional money needs to change hands. None of this matters anyway except 1) you get to experience the flight models ahead of time and 2) combat balancing based on real player statistics!
    I just want Privateer 3: The Privening. That's why I backed it. I may look at the persistent universe and decide I'd like to run my cargo in peace rather than get ganked by the asshole in a kitted out Hornet. I'd like to run a set of missions that has some kind of a story being told over 20-40 hours, and if I feel like it make my own story with the shared universe.

You might want to read more about what the Foundry 42 people are up to, then, because they're basically 100% dedicated to the single-player experience (which isn't and never was going to be Privateer; it's going to be Wing Commander). On-track to release the first mission set later this year.

They've also been doing a bunch of work to refine all of the ship designs, flight models, etc.

• Options
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Yeah. Well, I backed it, because Descent you guys! But I'd much prefer a focus on less multiplayer battle arena and more engaging sci-fi singleplayer storyline, as I think most people probably do. Descent was released way before online multiplayer was common or convenient, so the nostalgia most people have for the game probably isn't for the mp aspect. Also, the general tone and personality of those updates just doesn't jive with me... It's a little too self-celebratory, too much marketing speak, and not honest and personal enough.

DOOM and Descent were my college dorm's go-to LAN games, both co-op and deathmatch. But I think it would be a little weird if there were a ton of nostalgia for the singleplayer, since it was built on the DOOM philosophy of blue key/yellow key/red key/boss/next level. Are those kinds of campaigns, with zero storyline, something people really miss?

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

DOOM and Descent were my college dorm's go-to LAN games, both co-op and deathmatch. But I think it would be a little weird if there were a ton of nostalgia for the singleplayer, since it was built on the DOOM philosophy of blue key/yellow key/red key/boss/next level. Are those kinds of campaigns, with zero storyline, something people really miss?

Yeah, I really love zero story campaigns in games.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

... what?

A lot of model and stat changes are due to Squadron 42. It doesn't get a lot of press because they're intentionally keeping it under wraps so as not to spoil anything. MP and the PU, however, have nothing to spoil and the MP modules we get to play serve as a way for us to test the entire game's tech, including the AI. It makes sense that the MP would get more attention at first. S42 has a full team chewing away at it and I'm not particularly worried about it.

The ship rent thing is just for Arena Commander so that people can earn ships to fly without having to actually own them (whether via real cash or Bison Bucks).

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

IMO, yes, the single-player game was most people's experience of Descent. Mine, for sure.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

Yeah, I really love zero story campaigns in games.

Except for a few super rare examples stories in games are the part I hold my nose for and just kind of look at my wife and go "yeah a lot of people demand this kind of garbage I guess."

Fucking video game stories.

@Orca group play in Elite is absolutely there. It works fine, the Wings update is a great set of information sharing and coordination tools. You may have to play online but you can play online with exactly the people you want to see and never see another soul. The storyline in Elite is moving along now, with big events and multiple approaches to participate in these events. It's not perfect, definitely a work in progress so it may not be there for you yet but I suggest you keep an eye on it because Elite is the original Privateer in most ways that matter.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Hey, Doom had a story! It was in the manual!

Descent had a story too, there was text in front of a screen. Descent 2 had an intro movie.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular

... what?

That's, uh ... That's certainly one way of looking at it, I guess.

The other way is that, hey, this is the pre-alpha, people who backed for ships can play with those ships, CIG added a way for people who didn't back for those ships to still play with them, and no additional money needs to change hands. None of this matters anyway except 1) you get to experience the flight models ahead of time and 2) combat balancing based on real player statistics!

You might want to read more about what the Foundry 42 people are up to, then, because they're basically 100% dedicated to the single-player experience (which isn't and never was going to be Privateer; it's going to be Wing Commander). On-track to release the first mission set later this year.

They've also been doing a bunch of work to refine all of the ship designs, flight models, etc.

Also there's going to be private servers running their own version of the persistent universe (with CRs blessing of course!). If space trucking in peace is your thing, I'm 100% sure you'll be able to find a server running rules that enable that.

I'm a very cynical man at heart, but everything I've seen coming out of the SC guys has been promising.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I remember Descent for the snarky-as-hell intro monologue. Little bits like "They're paying triple compensation? Something must have gone seriously wrong. Executives only throw money like that around when they are sincerely scared" still stick out in my memory.

That and the Pyro.

I might have mentioned it before but why in the world would your showcase craft for a Descent game NOT be a Pyro?

• Options
    Well, I always felt that Ultima Underworld and System Shock got a raw deal compared to Wolfenstein and DOOM, but I guess that's just what people want. I suppose it's why the space sim genre tanked, too, as the big names usually had a pretty heavy story to action ratio.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular

... what?

16 hours of gametime? wtf. It takes 4 or 5 wins in a gamemode where matches take at most 20 mins to afford the highest tier ship - and only one win to afford the lowest tier. And that stuff is just for Arena Commander, not for the game itself. The rental stuff is just temporary, man.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I remember Descent for the snarky-as-hell intro monologue. Little bits like "They're paying triple compensation? Something must have gone seriously wrong. Executives only throw money like that around when they are sincerely scared" still stick out in my memory.

That and the Pyro.

I might have mentioned it before but why in the world would your showcase craft for a Descent game NOT be a Pyro?

Yeah, this is like leaving the Cobra out of Elite. The game just doesn't feel right without it.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular

... what?

16 hours of gametime? wtf. It takes 4 or 5 wins in a gamemode where matches take at most 20 mins to afford the highest tier ship - and only one win to afford the lowest tier. And that stuff is just for Arena Commander, not for the game itself. The rental stuff is just temporary, man.
    They also routinely make ships available for free. The Gladius was free to fly all week. You can also earn a lot of money playing coop, so it's not exactly a pay to win grind.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular

... what?

Yeah. Star Citizen isn't even F2P.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Star Citizen caused 9/11
    i mean as long as we're doing conspiracies

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    At this point there are a number of things they're doing (not least of which is selling virtual ships for boatloads of real money) that certainly have the form of your typical F2P game.

Maybe it's like Overkill's Hype Train event which just had the form of a Kickstarter, without actually following through on withholding rewards when it was clear they weren't going to get enough Hype Fuel.

Either way, I'm looking rather askance at it.

And that's the last I'm going to say on the matter.

• Options
    Except that a F2P game is actually Free to Play and their charging for ships will end once the game is out. You have to engage in a heavy amount of cherry picking to even compare it to a F2P game.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    At this point there are a number of things they're doing (not least of which is selling virtual ships for boatloads of real money) that certainly have the form of your typical F2P game.

Maybe it's like Overkill's Hype Train event which just had the form of a Kickstarter, without actually following through on withholding rewards when it was clear they weren't going to get enough Hype Fuel.

The selling of ships for lots of cash would bother me if the profits weren't being fed directly back into development. We're seeing the results in the form of added content, such as new ships and cool features. The fact that you can preorder the game for $30 and never spend another cent has gone a long way towards convincing me that this thing isn't a cynical cash grab.

Still, it's easy to see how anyone would be troubled by what CIG is doing. Many of use have been burned before.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options

The selling of ships for lots of cash would bother me if the profits weren't being fed directly back into development. We're seeing the results in the form of added content, such as new ships and cool features. The fact that you can preorder the game for $30 and never spend another cent has gone a long way towards convincing me that this thing isn't a cynical cash grab.

Still, it's easy to see how anyone would be troubled by what CIG is doing. Many of use have been burned before.

Agreed. This sort of funding campaign is unprecedented. The amount of transparency, suddenly large development strides, and ample amount of industry experience are what keep my doubts at bay. Some skepticism is healthy, but anything which skews towards 'cash grab' isn't, I think.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Taranis wrote: »

Agreed. This sort of funding campaign is unprecedented. The amount of transparency, suddenly large development strides, and ample amount of industry experience are what keep my doubts at bay. Some skepticism is healthy, but anything which skews towards 'cash grab' isn't, I think.

Eh, people were calling "scam" and "cash grab" on any crowdfunded game. One of the oft repeated lines I see about KS'd games in general is "You superseded your funding goal, so where's the REST of the money gone huh!?!"

Basically there's an idea that a project takes a set amount of money to build, and once you've reached it everything else is just cash grab profits.

subedii on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I really think that Star Citizen will be a fun game when it's all assembledf. I also think there is no way it can live up to the expectations that I see. It makes me worried about the future of the space sim resurgence, because this thing could make or break it. Then again it's already a huge success financially. This is weird, uncharted territory in making games. To boldly go and so forth.

Drake on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Drake wrote: »
    I really think that Star Citizen will be a fun game when it's all assembledf. I also think there is no way it can live up to the expectations that I see. It makes me worried about the future of the space sim resurgence, because this thing could make or break it. Then again it's already a huge success financially. This is weird, uncharted territory in making games. To boldly go and so forth.

I'm honestly not mega hyped for it, I just want it to be good. To be honest, almost everything they reveal is related to the MMO side, and I'm still waiting on the SP campaign. I suspect there's a lot of people like me, but then I don't really "take part" in SC's community.

That said, if they're that hyped right now, then as long as the game comes out and has the featureset advertised, I suspect they'll be happy.

subedii on
  • Options

I've spent exactly $60 on this game, and that's all I will be spending. I wanted the game and all of the baseline extra stuff like alpha and beta access. I could have just spent $45, but I was fine with spending the extra $15 to start with a slightly nicer ship that I personally liked the look of much better. I looked at it basically like a long-term pre-order. I have absolute faith that CIG will deliver at least an acceptable AAA experience, so I don't feel like I wasted my money.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    subedii wrote: »
    Taranis wrote: »

Eh, people were calling "scam" and "cash grab" on any crowdfunded game. One of the oft repeated lines I see about KS'd games in general is "You superseded your funding goal, so where's the REST of the money gone huh!?!"

Basically there's an idea that a project takes a set amount of money to build, and once you've reached it everything else is just cash grab profits.

People have also proven time and again that they have no idea how much money it costs to develop a game, produce a card game, or anything else business related.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    People are generally stupid

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png