As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PSN] 22 Sep - SOMA | Afro Samurai 2 | FIFA

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I didn't mean to start this long of an argument. If anything, I think you've all taught me that this is a very... let's say divisive series of games.

I'll probably pass until I can grab it on the cheap.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    I didn't mean to start this long of an argument. If anything, I think you've all taught me that this is a very... let's say divisive series of games.

Are you new to Plus?

Because Demon's Souls was free at one point, is it possible you grabbed it?

• Options

Are you new to Plus?

Looking around, I definitely had Plus when it was free, but for whatever reason, I must have neglected to "buy" that one; I wasn't as good about remembering to do it back then.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular

Man, you've got a bizarre definition of games that don't respect your time. To me, that's games like Assassin's Creed, Dragon Age Inquisition, Batman Arkham City, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, etc. Games that have very shallow gameplay systems, taking "two minutes" to figure out the extent of their mechanics and yet are still 30+ hours long, with mindless bullshit missions or collectables padding out largely empty and repetitive maps. Those are the sort of games that don't respect my time because most of that content is absolutely useless, yet they take hours upon hours to do.

Games like DMC3 and Souls games though, they're games that have me thinking from beginning to end. I'm figuring out how long my attacks take and learning enemy attack patterns, to ensure I get out of a fight without a scratch. I'm memorising the levels and making sure I open any shortcuts in order to make my life easier if I die. With every death, I'm learning something to make sure it doesn't happen again and once I have an enemy figured out, they're only ever a problem again when I'm doing something dumb, like trying to rush through a level. None of that is a waste, it respects my time as much as any game with depth could.

What frame of mind you game in is pretty important here.
    I spend a lot of my gaming time unwinding after a rush hour commute or a long day a work.
    Something as intense as what you're describing is really not relaxing at all. I'm not saying I always want to be LEGO game level of mindless fun, but polishing off everything on the maps in those games is a lot more fun for me than the actual hard parts where I might lose.
    If I want something harder, I'd rather it be turn based, I guess? The closest thing to hard I really play these days is Etrian Odyssey.

One other thing about the From Software games is the visual style. I think those games have the absolute ugliest visual aesthetic possible without actually having bad graphics. That isn't a world I want to be in at all, even though it's clearly an intentional choice.

Yeah, I'm at the point in my life where I already don't enjoy most video games for extended periods of time, and I'm more than happy to have zero challenge in them. That doesn't mean there's nothing to appreciate.

However, I think I might have been more into Dark Souls if, as you said, the style wasn't so ugly. The story and general setting was actually a bit repellant.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Septus wrote: »

Man, you've got a bizarre definition of games that don't respect your time. To me, that's games like Assassin's Creed, Dragon Age Inquisition, Batman Arkham City, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, etc. Games that have very shallow gameplay systems, taking "two minutes" to figure out the extent of their mechanics and yet are still 30+ hours long, with mindless bullshit missions or collectables padding out largely empty and repetitive maps. Those are the sort of games that don't respect my time because most of that content is absolutely useless, yet they take hours upon hours to do.

Games like DMC3 and Souls games though, they're games that have me thinking from beginning to end. I'm figuring out how long my attacks take and learning enemy attack patterns, to ensure I get out of a fight without a scratch. I'm memorising the levels and making sure I open any shortcuts in order to make my life easier if I die. With every death, I'm learning something to make sure it doesn't happen again and once I have an enemy figured out, they're only ever a problem again when I'm doing something dumb, like trying to rush through a level. None of that is a waste, it respects my time as much as any game with depth could.

What frame of mind you game in is pretty important here.
    I spend a lot of my gaming time unwinding after a rush hour commute or a long day a work.
    Something as intense as what you're describing is really not relaxing at all. I'm not saying I always want to be LEGO game level of mindless fun, but polishing off everything on the maps in those games is a lot more fun for me than the actual hard parts where I might lose.
    If I want something harder, I'd rather it be turn based, I guess? The closest thing to hard I really play these days is Etrian Odyssey.

One other thing about the From Software games is the visual style. I think those games have the absolute ugliest visual aesthetic possible without actually having bad graphics. That isn't a world I want to be in at all, even though it's clearly an intentional choice.

Yeah, I'm at the point in my life where I already don't enjoy most video games for extended periods of time, and I'm more than happy to have zero challenge in them. That doesn't mean there's nothing to appreciate.

However, I think I might have been more into Dark Souls if, as you said, the style wasn't so ugly. The story and general setting was actually a bit repellant.

The type of games I still play for a challenge mostly lack any formal difficulty setting. Zen Pinball 2, Pinball Arcade, Driveclub, OlliOlli 1&2, Geometry Wars 3, multiplayer in Battlefield and CoD. Accomplishments in those games feel earned and rewarding in a way that a trophy pop for "Beat the campaign on Ultra-Hard" really doesn't. Jamestown+ and EDF2017 Portable are notable exceptions, but the difficulty levels are a part of the natural progression in those games, and most players will weave between them long before completing one across all levels.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I think all the Souls games are fun right off the bat. This "you have to play for a long time before it's fun" isn't really true.

Learning how to approach the game and handle the challenges it throws at you is a big part of the fun for me.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Also since when is Arkham City shallow or thirty hours long?

The combat is super satisfying and integrating all your tricks and moves into combos is fun and challenging. And that game takes like six hours to beat and maybe like ten to twelve if you want to do and find EVERYTHING

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I appreciate games like Dark Souls (and Monster Hunter, which I think is a much closer touchstone than the DMC series), but fuck if I can find the time for them. They tend to eat up weeks, and there's just too many other games and life business for me to ever make it more than halfway through before I move on.

Their hyper deliberate pacing is beautiful for what it is, and I kind of love how obtuse they can be, but they can also turn into massive time sinks when they click.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    So the thing I am getting from this is that different people have different tastes? Not sure because that seems so strange.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular

Are you new to Plus?

Looking around, I definitely had Plus when it was free, but for whatever reason, I must have neglected to "buy" that one; I wasn't as good about remembering to do it back then.

Are you in the UK? I'll post you Demon Souls to try if you are, I haven't played it in years, didn't finish it, loved it though.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Bloodborne is nothing like the Devil May Cry series except for maybe the Gothic cathedral set design. No, I feel a far more appropriate comparison in regards to combat would be "Victorian Horror God Hand". DMC is about style, Bloodborne is about winning and winning quickly in an environment where every enemy major or minor can be the swift death of you.

Duck, weave, disembowl or die.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    fromi got overwhelmed by the rats. The freaking rats. The game will eat you up if you lose concentration. I love it.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    To be fair, those rats are pretty big.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Are you new to Plus?

Are you in the UK? I'll post you Demon Souls to try if you are, I haven't played it in years, didn't finish it, loved it though.

You are an absolute treasure, but no, I'm not in the UK. Thank you anyway. I'll just keep my eye out for it at the local used shop; I don't imagine it's selling for much these days if it's $12 new on PSN.

Speaking of...

AXIOM VERGE TODAY I NEED IT

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »

Yes, they're certainly an unusual size.

• Options
    More like "Batman: Ostentatious Knight".

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Damn, that's a sexy PS4!

Ugh, there's no way I could justify getting that bundle, though... :(

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I found out last night that Axiom Verge will automatically mute its music when you play a song on Spotify.

That's really cool. I hope more games do that in the future.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Mego Thor wrote: »

Yes, they're certainly an unusual size.

I don't think they exist.

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    Don't forget to grab the new Spotify app. Not only is Spotify great to begin with, the app also mixes my music of choice with the SFX of any game I'm playing. It's darn amazing how awesome that can be. Don't miss out!

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    I am an old. Is Spotify basically Pandora or something different?

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Don't forget to grab the new Spotify app. Not only is Spotify great to begin with, the app also mixes my music of choice with the SFX of any game I'm playing. It's darn amazing how awesome that can be. Don't miss out!

Also, what does this bolded part mean?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Also, what does this bolded part mean?
    Turn down the music in-game, turn up music from Spotify app, leave sound effects volume up ==> Custom soundtracks.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »

Basically Pandora.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

Yeah. The difference is you can play what you want rather than having the pandora-randomness.

You can get pandora-like behavior using spotify radio if you want that.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »

Yeah. The difference is you can play what you want rather than having the pandora-randomness.

Neat, what's the limit though, ad time, or have the music companies given up and let people listen to whatever as long as they want forever?

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

Neat, what's the limit though, ad time, or have the music companies given up and let people listen to whatever as long as they want forever?

Ad time. A subscription gets rid of ads and gives you some other features.

• Options
    Cool, thanks, I'll check it out.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I want to check out spotify for when i'm playing games, but right now I'm playing Bloodborne and there's a 0% chance I would ever have outside music over top of the ambience and boss music in a Souls game. Maybe I'll do it when I get back to FF Type 0, but I also love Final Fantasy music so.....

Maybe i'll just start using it to play music when I'm just hanging around the house cooking dinner and what not.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    PS+ for April:

PS4: tower of guns, never alone
    PS3: dishonored, aarus awakening
    Vita: killzone mercenary, monsterbag

Tower of guns and aarus awakening are PS4/PS3 cross buy.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Looking forward to Never Alone and have been contemplating buying KZ Mercenary for my Vita, now I don't have to.

nusu on
  • Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    I (for some reason) was under the impression that there were going to be a bunch of PS+ games this month, not just the usual two per platform. I'm not sure why I thought this.

• Options
    I've never heard of two of those games (Killzone, Dishonored). I'm guessing this will be a pretty "meh" month of freebies for me.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Er...how did you miss Dishonored?

I'd also question not hearing about Killzone on the Vita. If you owned a vita at the time it was a pretty big deal.

Edit: Dishonored was the "Actual" Thief sequel. It is a pretty fine game really.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    I've never heard of two of those games (Killzone, Dishonored). I'm guessing this will be a pretty "meh" month of freebies for me.

Wow, I really mangled that.

It should have been "I've only heard of two of those games (Killzone, Dishonored)."

So, yeah. Proceed with the ridiculing. Wow.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I think he meant he's never heard of all of them except for Dishonored and Killzone:Mercenaries, since they're all pretty obscure except for those two.

Tower of Guns - A procedurally-generated FPS. Ascend a tower with a bunch of cannons and robots hell-bent on killing you. The bosses are basically porcupines with guns instead of spikes. Made in Unreal Engine.
    Never Alone - Puzzle platformer that explores Inuit mythology. The cultural asides are actually fairly interesting, in a National Geographic sort of way.
    Aaru's Awakening - Balls-difficult (on the level of Super Meat Boy) platformer with the main gimmick of having a teleport ball (throw a ball, teleport to that location with another button). Has a hand-drawn aesthetic.
    Monsterbag - An extremely bizarre puzzle platformer stealth game. It shares a weird artstyle with Hohokum.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Not a great month for me. I'll play Never Alone, but nothing else speaks to me because I have Dishonored on steam already and don't own a Vita.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    If you are at the least bit interested in a PS+ Vita game, go ahead and "buy" it through the webstore.

I did that for quite a while, and, when I finally got a Vita, I had a lot of games for it already.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    PS4 HD upgraded to 2TB. If you backup all apps it takes a long time, mine was like 6+ hours for 297gbs. The restore process is much quicker though, it took maybe 2-3 hours tops. Everything just worked from the get go - all apps there and all my system preferences and settings too, you can also install 2.50 right from a flash drive without having to install the base OS and update. If you were on the fence about making the leap, 2.50 should definitely ease your fears, it's pretty great.