Options

9 Dead in Racially Motivated shooting in Charleston, SC

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    The cops are preparing for the armed insurrection of the United States by its disenfranchised citizenry.

Ironically, their preparation seems to be causing the sorts of conditions that could make their otherwise-paranoid delusions come true.

I wouldn't be surprised if the heavy automatic weapons fall under a "show of force" intimidation tactic philosophy. An argument to which I would reply "Fuck you! A police force should not be supplied with equipment that it doesn't intend to use because if they did it would be devastating.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    So, that's a "no" on the tactical nukes then?

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I am the sum of my experiences.

A nice use of words to convey little to zero meaning.

Dude...

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    The cops are preparing for the armed insurrection of the United States by its disenfranchised citizenry.

Ironically, their preparation seems to be causing the sorts of conditions that could make their otherwise-paranoid delusions come true.

I wouldn't be surprised if the heavy automatic weapons fall under a "show of force" intimidation tactic philosophy. An argument to which I would reply "Fuck you! A police force should not be supplied with equipment that it doesn't intend to use because if they did it would be devastating.

The way I see it is the escalation of "Peace Officer" to "Law Enforcement Officer"

Same duties, just the title and attitude toward their role has changed.

I stand by that as the defining moment of culture shift.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular

That ironic self-fufilling prophecy aspect of paranoia is actually relatively common and can cause a negative feedback loop where any little thing ends up as evidence supporting the paranoia.

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Apparently Jay-Z and Beyonce might have bailed out a bunch of Ferguson and Baltimore protesters.
    Hampton’s original tweets claimed Jay Z (given name Shawn Carter) and his wife Beyoncé helped supply bail money for protesters, and discussed the difficulties of organizing when protesters are thrown in jail.

They were later deleted, but were screengrabbed by the hip-hop magazine Complex.

“I’m going to tweet this and I don’t care if Jay gets mad,” wrote Hampton, at 8.38am on Sunday. “When we needed money for bail for Baltimore protesters, I asked hit Jay up [sic], as I had for Ferguson, wired tens of thousands in mins.”

Another tweet read: “When [Black Lives Matter] needed infrastructure money for the many chapters that we’re growing like beautiful dandelions, Carters wrote a huge check.”

She continued: “... and more stuff, too much to list actually, that they always insist folk keep quiet.”

Hampton wrote that the alleged donations were important when protesters were being held on exorbitant bail. For example, in Baltimore, teenagers photographed smashing a police car were held on $500,000 bail.

“They’re waging war on black resistance in a multitude of ways, many of them financially. Protest is literally punished with tariffs,” Hampton wrote. “When they fine and arrest people for protesting, more opportunities for exploitation by the state are possible with each encounter.”

In an email, Hampton told the Guardian that Jay Z helped bail protesters out of jail, but did not provide specifics on who or when people might have been bailed out. The Guardian has not independently confirmed the reports with Jay Z.

Hampton worked with Jay Z on his 2010 autobiography Decoded. Her latest project is a documentary about the killing of a black transgender woman in Detroit.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    Who are these shithead judges that ok half a million for bail for a teenager?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Reading the Atlanta Journal Constitution's story on this on Facebook this morning was interesting. You had a huge split in the comments section (I had to look) with one side praising the motion and saying it was about time and how police should be distinctly different from the military, "protect and serve", etc. The other side, well they were less pleased, crying out for the poor officers who would have to go back to merely a Glock and an m4 instead of that M249 or be forced to drive around in a common armored SUV instead of a tracked APC.

And because it was Facebook the profile photos have very little ambiguity about what kinds of people supported which side.

My Facebook profile photo would have everyone thinking Louis Tully was an avid supporter of the motion.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Who are these shithead judges that ok half a million for bail for a teenager?

The bail was lower for the cops who killed Gray.

The teenager had even turned himself in because he wanted to do the right thing for his mistake of smashing a cop car windshield.

It's disgusting.

• Options
    Darmak wrote: »
    http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Waco-Shooting-Near-Twin-Peaks-In-Waco-304043711.html
    ...a shootout between rival biker gangs Sunday left nine dead, 18 injured and about 170 in custody.

Oh cool, that's only 70 miles away from me.

My wife and I were visiting family and stopped at that shopping center not too long ago. There's a Cabela's right behind Twin Peaks, and I was left wondering why the armed public Texans (of which I technically am one, I guess) tout so much didn't come sauntering out of the gun store and handle shit themselves.

Oh, right...they were probably hiding.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    They also can't have bayonets anymore

Who the fuck thought policemen needed bayonets?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Bayonets are pretty OG crowd control

And by OG I mean "brutal monarchist"

• Options
    They also can't have bayonets anymore

Who the fuck thought policemen needed bayonets?

Probably no one. The army was probably just trying to get rid of a bunch of them and rifles that had attachments for them and a bunch of police departments said "Cool! New toys!"

• Options
    cr0w wrote: »
    http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Waco-Shooting-Near-Twin-Peaks-In-Waco-304043711.html
    ...a shootout between rival biker gangs Sunday left nine dead, 18 injured and about 170 in custody.

My wife and I were visiting family and stopped at that shopping center not too long ago. There's a Cabela's right behind Twin Peaks, and I was left wondering why the armed public Texans (of which I technically am one, I guess) tout so much didn't come sauntering out of the gun store and handle shit themselves.

Because as many people are fond of saying, it's not their job to do so. A person with a CHL is literally the last resort. The kind of thing to respond to the original situation which provided legislation, when a crazy fucker drives his truck through a Luby's and begins executing people.

Not a fucking organized gang rumble. They did the right thing by not getting involved.

Or I guess you can continue to be a dipshit and sneer at the people who shop at Cabela's, which is obviously the premiere place to buy tactical hardware and jerk off to Soldier of Fortune.

Or, and this is a wild fucking guess, it's the middle of May and probably filled with anglers.

But yeah, they were probably just a bunch of cowards with their CCW's clutched to their hearts praying they didn't have to get involved since just about every form of agency that is armed for fifty miles was descending on Waco.

Bang up post, cr0w. Your nonsense ramblings and undeserved derision distracted me from reading for three minutes while I typed this. Pat yourself on the back and grab a cookie, you earned it.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    cr0w wrote: »

Hand gun and high scores at the shooting rage != combat ability & battlefield focus

• Options
    I'm absolutely being completely sarcastic here, because the thing people down here like to throw out whenever there's a shooting is how, if more people had CHLs, things like this wouldn't happen because they'd be stopped before they could get a shot off by the random gun totin' hero civilian. I'm not saying I actually expected it to happen, I'm pointing out how stupid people who don't even know how to handle a gun properly love to tout the CHL license as a solution to mass shootings and/or situations like this.

But hey, if you enjoyed the three-minute distraction, good for you.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Bit of a difference between lone gunman stalking around and all-out war between five armed gangs.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    They use the 'good guy with a gun' thing for mass shootings, not gang shootouts. It's 'a good guy with a gun stops a bad guy with a gun.'

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    They use the 'good guy with a gun' thing for everything down here. The guy one office over has been on the phone ranting about it for 45 minutes.

• Options
    Yeah, a CHL would have stopped that from going down when they had a SWAT van parked in view of the restaurant.

The bikers didn't care and they were gonna throw down regardless of who was present.

In other news, Twin Peaks just rescinded that location's franchise due to their near-criminal level of negligence and non-cooperation with local authorities.

• Options
    They arrested 170 people, not counting the 9 dead or 18 wounded.

I mean, had somebody been standing by they would have had a target rich environment and then probably been shot by law enforcement.

So the death toll could have been higher.

• Options
    Honestly, given the wonderful McClennan County Sheriff's Department that my uncle used to work for, I'm surprised they didn't take out the entire restaurant and surrounding areas themselves.

Of course, the current Sheriff did a really good job at running off the cops (including my uncle) who were giving the department a pretty bad name, so I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised. All things considered, the outcome is almost ideal.

• Options
    I read one quote where a cop who had been with Waco for 34 years says he's never seen this much violence ever.

I guess he didn't assist with the Branch-Davidians

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I've been seeing posts on tumblr saying they didn't arrest anyone, good to hear otherwise. (not literally no one, but not very many arrested)

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Under Jack Harwell, Waco was fairly well controlled. He was there from '72 to '00, and most of the force was there with him. They also did a lot of illegal shit, most of which hasn't been disclosed publicly. In '00, he was replaced by Robert Mitchell, who only stayed for a couple months I think. He was replaced by Larry Lynch, who almost gutted the police force and ran off or forced into retirement Harwell's squad. During Harwell's time, there was kind of an agreement with the criminals and underbelly of the area that there were certain areas the police wouldn't go. One in particular was an area between Bellmead and Waco called No Man's Land, that was just...you didn't want to go there. A lot of the criminal element stayed outside the city limits in Lacy Lakeview and Bellmead. Once Lynch came in and started reforming the department, that coincided with a boom in the local economy thanks to Baylor's old money finally deciding to invest in Waco and bring more businesses in, because downtown Waco was basically dead at that point.

A lot of the old agreements are no longer in place, and the revitalization of Waco itself has kind of dissolved the previous "borders", for lack of a better term, and the drug trade and just general criminal element are more open about working in Waco proper now. It is, basically, a big turf war up there. Outside of Waco, literally 2 minutes out, there's nothing but the meth trade. Jobs are still scarce, and while Waco looks a lot nicer now, it's gotten much worse than it used to be when there were clear lines drawn.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    ah yes meth. the only industry seeing growth in rural america

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    ah yes meth. the only industry seeing growth in rural america

Tasty, tasty crystal meth

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Yeah, my brother's serving a life sentence because of it. Well, and other things, but meth was the cause.

• Options
    I honestly don't have any shits to give anymore about them. their communities have been destroyed by republican economic policy, and what is their response to this? continue to vote republican. nope, don't care any more.

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    Elaro so help me if you are British, I am sure the yanks are aware of the situation. They can think for their selves.

also, activism starts at home. There's plenty to be getting on with in the UK.

Reminder that such incidents are not unique to the US. All details not available, but two articles on a current issue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-32734526

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/may/14/family-of-man-who-died-in-custody-of-fife-police-demand-robust-inquiry
    wrote:
    “A petite female police officer was chased and then subjected to a violent and unprovoked attack by a very large man who punched, kicked and stamped on her,” Watson said. “The officer believed she was about to be murdered and I can say that but for the intervention of the other officers that was the likely outcome.”

Doesn't seem to be even slightly comparable tbqh.

Given the circumstances where Bayoh was apparently detained and in both handcuffs and leg restraints why is there any reason for him to be dead even if that is a completely accurate story?

Because use of force, especially where someone has to be physically restrained by numerous people always has inherent risks, especially when we don't know the health background of the person involved? ABD immediatley jumps to mind.

I mean perhaps excessive force was used, neither of us was there to make the judgement call, but apparently there is CCTV of the incident which will help get to the truth, and is part of an active investigation.

All it seems you've got at the moment is the fact that the family and actvist groups working for them saying it was unreasonable and police lied to them, and the police who are incredibly limited in what they can say about an ongoing investigation saying an officer was violently attacked and the male had to be restrained.

Leitner on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    Elaro so help me if you are British, I am sure the yanks are aware of the situation. They can think for their selves.

also, activism starts at home. There's plenty to be getting on with in the UK.

Reminder that such incidents are not unique to the US. All details not available, but two articles on a current issue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-32734526

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/may/14/family-of-man-who-died-in-custody-of-fife-police-demand-robust-inquiry
    wrote:
    “A petite female police officer was chased and then subjected to a violent and unprovoked attack by a very large man who punched, kicked and stamped on her,” Watson said. “The officer believed she was about to be murdered and I can say that but for the intervention of the other officers that was the likely outcome.”

Doesn't seem to be even slightly comparable tbqh.

Given the circumstances where Bayoh was apparently detained and in both handcuffs and leg restraints why is there any reason for him to be dead even if that is a completely accurate story?

Because use of force, especially where someone has to be physically restrained by numerous people always has inherent risks, especially when we don't know the health background of the person involved? ABD immediatley jumps to mind.

I mean perhaps excessive force was used, neither of us was there to make the judgement call, but apparently there is CCTV of the incident which will help get to the truth, and is part of an active investigation.

All it seems you've got at the moment is the fact that the family and actvist groups working for them saying it was unreasonable and police lied to them, and the police who are incredibly limited in what they can say about an ongoing investigation saying an officer was violently attacked and the male had to be restrained.
    It's the same shit as we keep seeing in US cases where they come out strongly in the media with allegations of the dead person being violent and terrifying, so where's the difference?

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Because without googling it I could tell you the names of every single person directly killed by the police in the last half decade.

And sometimes the police do actually deal with violent people?

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    That shooting was literally 5 minutes from my house.

And the police and FBI were literally there beforehand to facilitate the entire communication, and that broke down which resulted in the shootout between the police and gangs.

Also that Twin Peaks is getting its license revoked by corporate.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    As an aside, north of the Brazos is the literal 'don't go there' part of town at night.

Shit is sketchier than anything here in Austin

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    When are leaders in the white community going to intervene and help solve this awful white-on-white violence

• Options
    edited May 2015
    When are leaders in the white community going to intervene and help solve this awful white-on-white violence

It's more Brown/White-on-White/Brown

I know, crazy to think Mexicans in Texas are involved in criminal elements that participate in the drug trade.

Probably threw you for a real fucking loop.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

It's more Brown/White vs White/Brown

I know, crazy to think Mexicans in Texas are involved in criminal elements that participate in the drug trade.

What a totally necessary and enriching post

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

"lol white people" wasn't really that much better

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    ALL OF THESE POSTS ARE GARBAGE!

• Options

"lol white people" wasn't really that much better

where did pooro say that

This discussion has been closed.