HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Again with the charm offensive

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Shabooty wrote: »
    that's all well and good but

i've got bills to pay

Are those bills going to save more people than the police are going to kill? If not, I'm not sure you're making the morally correct choice there, buddy.

Given my positon at work, the sole result of me striking would be me losing my job.There would be no greater result, certainly no larger result within the police culture, so i would save zero lives. I would die starving on the streets, though. So yes, me paying my bills would save at least one more life than not.

Hooray for moral choices!

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    As a security guard and fellow guardian of the Fat Blue Line, holy shit you can't fucking light up a vehicle even if it did try to run you down and escape. A guard firing at a fleeing thief's vehicle (getting his company sued for hitting an old woman's house) was the literal textbook example of improper use of force at my training class. Armed guards have exactly the same rights as a private citizen with a gun.

Nor can you shoot if someone reaches for something! That's a cop excuse and you're not a cop!

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Okay, that's it. Everybody who's not an American citizen, this is not for you. The rest of you, listen well.

You have a moral duty to change the system. Don't say it can't be done. Don't say it's too hard. Don't say it's too risky. While another innocent life is at risk by the system on which you live your lives are worthless. Every second you are not doing something, every moment you are not striving for the safety of your fellow human beings you are guilty of criminal negligence. If you are at home, get out. Grab your friends, your family, your neighbours, passers-by. Get them to grab their family and friends. Go to your town hall. Voice your refusal to bow to murderer-cops and your willingness to reform the police department, yours and all the police departments of America. If the issue of price comes up, ask them how much their constituents lives are worth. Ask of them who would pay to ensure that police to protect and serve. The first who says they would not, the first who is dismissive, I would like to say that you should punch them in the face, but instead take down their name. Then take the name of the next one who shows themselves heartless. Those who say it is impossible, that they have no money, tell them to ask money from the state government, the federal government. You are the richest country in the world, time to start acting like it! Tell them that. Tell them as long as there is excessive retribution, as long as death-by-cop is an acceptable penalty for even the pettiest of crimes, America will burn.

Then, if you work, go on strike! Strike alone if you must but strike! The good will follow your example, the cowards will die in shame. If you are not at work, protest! Lives are at stake, and your country must know that you will not stand for another innocent killed by police! Spread the word! Disrupt the status quo, because the current ways must be stopped!

The ACTUAL solution is to attend protests when you're able, spread your message to friends, family, and coworkers who you may be able to persuade, and maybe volunteer for a political campaign with a candidate pushing similar views.

Strike? Against what? My company? What does my employer have to do with the police? That'll get me fired basically instantly. This whole line of thought makes you sound like either a crazy person or a naive child.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Okay, let's try it your way.

Hey, @Shabooty , you sexy devil, how about you drop what you're doing and help fight an evil system?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Hey how about you stop being a giant fucking goose.

rhylith on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I don't think you understand what a strike is or how it's supposed to work.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Okay, that's it. Everybody who's not an American citizen, this is not for you. The rest of you, listen well.

You have a moral duty to change the system. Don't say it can't be done. Don't say it's too hard. Don't say it's too risky. While another innocent life is at risk by the system on which you live your lives are worthless. Every second you are not doing something, every moment you are not striving for the safety of your fellow human beings you are guilty of criminal negligence. If you are at home, get out. Grab your friends, your family, your neighbours, passers-by. Get them to grab their family and friends. Go to your town hall. Voice your refusal to bow to murderer-cops and your willingness to reform the police department, yours and all the police departments of America. If the issue of price comes up, ask them how much their constituents lives are worth. Ask of them who would pay to ensure that police to protect and serve. The first who says they would not, the first who is dismissive, I would like to say that you should punch them in the face, but instead take down their name. Then take the name of the next one who shows themselves heartless. Those who say it is impossible, that they have no money, tell them to ask money from the state government, the federal government. You are the richest country in the world, time to start acting like it! Tell them that. Tell them as long as there is excessive retribution, as long as death-by-cop is an acceptable penalty for even the pettiest of crimes, America will burn.

Then, if you work, go on strike! Strike alone if you must but strike! The good will follow your example, the cowards will die in shame. If you are not at work, protest! Lives are at stake, and your country must know that you will not stand for another innocent killed by police! Spread the word! Disrupt the status quo, because the current ways must be stopped!

Yeah okay I'll tell my relief to walk off the job with me

This construction site will disrupt the status quo by being marginally less secure for two shifts and we'll be broke

America won't burn tho

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    How old are you @Elaro ? I don't mean it in a snarky sarcastic way, I'm honestly asking.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Well I didn't mean literal "charm", I meant that behaving in this manner will induce absolutely no one to do anything you want them to do, ever

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    I love where this rabbit hole is going.

Anyone who isn't literally dying to stop global warming should be shot. It's a far more important issue to the survival of the species than a bad police force.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

i've got bills to pay

Are those bills going to save more people than the police are going to kill? If not, I'm not sure you're making the morally correct choice there, buddy.

It will go to keeping my child alive. Sorry but that's more important. I have said it before, and I will say it again I suspect. I will gladly watch the world burn if it keeps her safe. Give me options that don't affect my child in a life threatening way then I am on board. Do plenty of them as I can already.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

i've got bills to pay

Compared to me quitting my job? Yes.

Cause see with my job I'm able to continue donating to organizations such as the NAACP, liberal political candidates, etc that can improve the problem. If I just quit my job and start yelling from a street corner ain't much gonna happen anyway and I'll lose everything I do enjoy.

Oh, also go to prison since my contract is enforced by law!

Quid on
  • Options
    What if we stop the motor of the world by refusing to invent new steel

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    I'm all for fighting the system, but also quite fond of my monthly paycheck and my flat and buying food and such.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    How old are you @Elaro ? I don't mean it in a snarky sarcastic way, I'm honestly asking.

I'm 25, I haven't slept in the past 22 hours, I'm on edge, I've been reading like 10 pages of this thread straight, so you'll forgive me if I'm a little pissed. Also I've been reading Edcrab's, Berk's and other activists' twitter feeds and boy, those guys do not pull punches wow.

Anyway, if your unions were the least bit organized, you'd be able to organize simultaneous, financially devastating deep strikes. Then you can actually ask for things without being pushed around like a wet doll.

Because seriously you guys, it's the 21st century and you're the richest country in the world. Why don't you have a little dignity? Why are you such a willing cog in the murder and prison-slavery machine? You realize your companies are financially supporting this government/state/system, right? The profit from your work is going into politicians' pockets. If you united, if you had some solidarity, you could organize a mass strike-protest and really scare the 1% into caring about the rest of you/us.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular

I'm 25, I haven't slept in the past 22 hours, I'm on edge, I've been reading like 10 pages of this thread straight, so you'll forgive me if I'm a little pissed. Also I've been reading Edcrab's, Berk's and other activists' twitter feeds and boy, those guys do not pull punches wow.

Anyway, if your unions were the least bit organized, you'd be able to organize simultaneous, financially devastating deep strikes. Then you can actually ask for things without being pushed around like a wet doll.

Because seriously you guys, it's the 21st century and you're the richest country in the world. Why don't you have a little dignity? Why are you such a willing cog in the murder and prison-slavery machine? You realize your companies are financially supporting this government/state/system, right? The profit from your work is going into politicians' pockets. If you united, if you had some solidarity, you could organize a mass strike-protest and really scare the 1% into caring about the rest of you/us.

What's a union?

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Elaro what country are you from

• Options
    I hate to break it to you, Elaro. But a large percentage of America is united in supporting the shitty aspects of the system.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Don't tell the Americans about Unions, you'll just get their hopes up. Show a little sensitivity.

• Options
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Don't tell the Americans about Unions, you'll just get their hopes up. Show a little sensitivity.

CONFEDERACY FOREVER

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

You are the equivalent of drunk right now then and should go to sleep. Come back when you're not sleep-deprived.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Elaro so help me if you are British, I am sure the yanks are aware of the situation. They can think for their selves.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Elaro so help me if you are British, I am sure the yanks are aware of the situation. They can think for their selves.

also, activism starts at home. There's plenty to be getting on with in the UK.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Damn right, fix our own place before we start telling others how to fix theirs.

• Options
    Butters wrote: »
    I don't think you understand what a strike is or how it's supposed to work.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Reminder that such incidents are not unique to the US. All details not available, but two articles on a current issue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-32734526

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/may/14/family-of-man-who-died-in-custody-of-fife-police-demand-robust-inquiry

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    What if we stop the motor of the world by refusing to invent new steel

No you have to take at least 70 rambling pages to make this point you're doing it all wrong.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    The concept of not pulling punches on twitter being outrageous is making me chuckle for some reason.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

i've got bills to pay

Stop posting

Step away

Think

And then come back

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The concept of not pulling punches on twitter being outrageous is making me chuckle for some reason.

I hear police unions are scared to death of twitter. They have a standing shoot-on-sight policy for twitter's servers.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

So a bunch of people not you should throw their lives in the shitter and risk their families safety to solve a problem? Because you think we are in unions, or work for mega corporations? Dude, you are drunk. Go home.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular

I hear police unions are scared to death of twitter. They have a standing shoot-on-sight policy for twitter's servers.

They were reaching for their gun emoji

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options

It's tough to make the case for them to a lot of people here when the preponderance of unions that still exist in the US are complete shit.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options

It's a good general rule to shoot any servers on sight anyway.

You never know which one might be the server that kicks off the machine uprising.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hey guys there's this awesome movie with Natalie Portman in it I just saw it came out a while back but wasn't super popular but it's really cool and these people all wear the same mask and try to overthrow the government and we should form a secret cabal and-

Nevermind, I see Elaro beat me to it.

• Options

It's tough to make the case for them to a lot of people here when the preponderance of unions that still exist in the US are complete shit.

There's also things like Scott Walker running for governor of Wisconsin on a platform of union-busting, he won the election reasonably easily, then as soon as he got in he went right for the unions and everybody was completely shocked and pissed off.

• Options

There's also things like Scott Walker running for governor of Wisconsin on a platform of union-busting, he won the election reasonably easily, then as soon as he got in he went right for the unions and everybody was completely shocked and pissed off.

If by everybody you mean everybody in the unions because a majority of voters that elected him were perfectly fine with union-busting. The union reps were the source of the "outrage" and they vastly overestimated their support from the general public.

• Options

If by everybody you mean everybody in the unions because a majority of voters that elected him were perfectly fine with union-busting. The union reps were the source of the "outrage" and they vastly overestimated their support from the general public.

That's not quite the read I got from it. E.g: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Wisconsin_protests

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I'm in a union! they still exist! maybe not in wisconsin

Jars on
This discussion has been closed.