As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] it to the Man

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    A new study from Princeton spells bad news for American democracy—namely, that it no longer exists.

Asking "[w]ho really rules?" researchers Martin Gilens and Benjamin I. Page argue that over the past few decades America's political system has slowly transformed from a democracy into an oligarchy, where wealthy elites wield most power.

Using data drawn from over 1,800 different policy initiatives from 1981 to 2002, the two conclude that rich, well-connected individuals on the political scene now steer the direction of the country, regardless of or even against the will of the majority of voters.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/princeton-experts-say-us-no-longer-democracy

Connected powerful stakeholders hold more power in democracies.

News at 11.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    also i am bed

This is a world gone topsy turvy

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    A new study from Princeton spells bad news for American democracy—namely, that it no longer exists.

Asking "[w]ho really rules?" researchers Martin Gilens and Benjamin I. Page argue that over the past few decades America's political system has slowly transformed from a democracy into an oligarchy, where wealthy elites wield most power.

Using data drawn from over 1,800 different policy initiatives from 1981 to 2002, the two conclude that rich, well-connected individuals on the political scene now steer the direction of the country, regardless of or even against the will of the majority of voters.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/princeton-experts-say-us-no-longer-democracy

So you're saying that the nation that began as a tax revolt led by wealthy landowners and initially only allowed landowners to vote listens to the wealthy more...

Phyphor on
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

So you're saying that the nation that began as a tax revolt led by wealthy landowners and initially only allowed landowners to vote listens to the wealthy more...

I mean, if you do t own land, should you really be allowed to vote? You might just pick up and move to South America if you elect bad people!

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Now I want to watch the original Robocop. I only saw a heavily edited for tv version of it when I was really young, and I don't remember too much. Mostly just the beginning, then scene where he is in his old apartment, Kurtwood Smith's character getting his face all bloodied up, and the last scene. Most of everything else is forgotten.

I don't know that I would have a very high tolerance for it though.

Neco on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @desc

Doom is comming to MH.

MEjVnO9.png

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Also, we were never a democracy anyway. Representative democracy at best. Republic seems mor accurate. I thought you were supposed to be smart, Princeton.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Now I want to watch the original Robocop. I only saw a heavily edited for tv version of it when I was really young, and I don't remember too much. Mostly just the beginning, then scene where he is in his old apartment, Kurtwood Smith's character getting his face all bloodied up, and the last scene. Most of everything else is forgotten.

Best Jesus allegory ever.

• Options

Eats baby food. Twirls gun like a bad ass. Stores it in his thigh. Fights a big robot. That's basically the movie.

• Options
    The most impressive thing about adobo op is how accurately it portrays what it is like to live in Detroit. Basically like the Wire of Detroit.

• Options
    I am never changing that typo.

• Options

Eats baby food. Twirls gun like a bad ass. Stores it in his thigh. Fights a big robot. That's basically the movie.

So, an 80's movie then.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    The most impressive thing about adobo op is how accurately it portrays what it is like to live in Detroit. Basically like the Wire of Detroit.

You wouldn't know what the fuck to do with yourself if you went to Detroit

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What's Detroit up to these days? They haven't been in the news for awhile.

• Options
    Adobo or Adobar (Spanish: marinade, sauce, or seasoning) is the immersion of raw food in a stock (or sauce) composed variously of paprika, oregano, salt, garlic, and vinegar to preserve and enhance its flavor. The Portuguese variant is known as Carne de Vinha d' Alhos.

The practice is native to Iberia, namely Spanish cuisine[1] and Portuguese cuisine. It was widely adopted in Latin America and other Spanish and Portuguese colonies, including the Azores and Madeira.

In the Philippines, the name adobo was given by the Spanish colonists to an indigenous cooking method that also uses vinegar,[2][3] which although superficially similar had developed independent of Spanish influence.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Out of bankruptcy and doing fine

Downtown is nice, JP Morgan invested like 100M and is recouping according to schedule, lots of commerce in surrounding suburbs have moved offices back downtown

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options

Downtown is nice, JP Morgan invested like 100M and is recouping according to schedule, lots of commerce in surrounding suburbs have moved offices back downtown

...but I thought THIS was Detroit?

qDLwXEH.jpg

No?

Oh well. I guess even a working clock is wrong two times a day.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The Lions still suck

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular

Has Sarif Industries opened their new offices yet?

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

I ate in downtown Detroit with wazilla and neither of us died.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Cleveland, Ohio

"At least we're not Detroit"

• Options
    kedinik wrote: »

...or DID you?

• Options

Had some outstanding shwarma at Bucharest before going to a Tigers game couple of weeks back

Had the best meal of my life at Roast

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

6th1.jpg

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

...or DID you?

Was I the Bruce Willis all along.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I went to Colorado once.

That is the farthest east I have been in the US. :-/

Neco on
  • Options
    Wow!

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

...but I thought THIS was Detroit?

qDLwXEH.jpg

No?

Oh well. I guess even a working clock is wrong two times a day.

Detroit is a smoking crater only some of the time.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

It's probably fine.

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »

It's probably fine.

It will buff right out.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I just got back from my second viewing of Mad Max.

It is just as good the second time around.

Theater was only about 1/3 full. Fuckin' disgrace.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2015
    i know the dumb low tire pressure sensor wasn't blinking when i bought the car or for a couple days afterward. then i went in the trunk to find the spare and make sure everything there was in order. it seems like it started immediately after that. thom, can jostling the spare tire upset the TPMS sensor? it's blinking for 30 seconds and then staying solid which allegedly means a problem with the sensor vs actual low pressure.

Organichu on
  • Options
    Trickle down electoral votes

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Also, we were never a democracy anyway. Representative democracy at best. Republic seems mor accurate. I thought you were supposed to be smart, Princeton.

2nd rate ivy league wannabe at best

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    i know the dumb low tire pressure sensor wasn't blinking when i bought the car or for a couple days afterward. then i went in the trunk to find the spare and make sure everything there was in order. it seems like it started immediately after that. thom, can jostling the spare tire upset the TPMS sensor? it's blinking for 30 seconds and then staying solid which allegedly means a problem with the sensor vs actual low pressure.

spare tire is not connected to tpms afaik

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular

I had a two-hour layover in the airport there and it was the nicest airport I've ever been in

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    HAVE YOU CONSIDERED THAT IT MIGHT BE A NAIL IN A TIRE

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

You wouldn't know what the fuck to do with yourself if you went to Detroit

I would put my hands up, put my hands up, put my hands up

This discussion has been closed.