Options

[Marvel MCU] Age of Assembling at the new thread cause this one retired!

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Have they actually confirmed she's in the "old Asian dude mentor" role?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    The Ancient One will be Irish and the host of a semi-popular late night talk show.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Awe...now I want Ferguson to play him.

Imagine the dialogue! And Drew Carrey could be his man servant. The original Drew Carrey, not the weird shell of a Drew Carrey that we have now.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    To be fair, Tilda Swinton can play anything and be credible. Cop? Sure. Elf Queen? That's like her real life. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.? Why not?

As for Death, they should do the thing where she appears as a little girl and it creeps Thanos the fuck out. Maybe Elle Fanning?

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    To be fair, Tilda Swinton can play anything and be credible. Cop? Sure. Elf Queen? That's like her real life. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.? Why not?

A late night talk show host whose show was stolen by a big chinned denim wearing former friend?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    tilda swinton owns

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

As for Death, they should do the thing where she appears as a little girl and it creeps Thanos the fuck out. Maybe Elle Fanning?

Truth be told, I would love for death to first show up in that form.

thanos_Death3.jpg

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I like imagining the tone of "Don't be like that" directed towards a whiny petulant supervillain who just destroyed the universe.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I am officially down for a child actor to play Death.

So many ways you could make that creepy as hell.

For one, film the kid reading innocuous, even humorous lines, then dub it over with an adult's voice reading the actual dialogue. Voices and mannerisms wouldn't match at all, and that could be really creepy. Or maybe cheesy, I don't know.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Macaulay Culkin was creepy AF in "The Good Son" (link NSFW).

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    I am officially down for a child actor to play Death.

So many ways you could make that creepy as hell.

For one, film the kid reading innocuous, even humorous lines, then dub it over with an adult's voice reading the actual dialogue. Voices and mannerisms wouldn't match at all, and that could be really creepy. Or maybe cheesy, I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2mm79vRuzA

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    If they planned to have Death in both Dr Strange and Infinity War... how far apart are those two going to be filmed? About 18 months, give or take between DrS and IW pt 1 release dates. If you cast a kid at a certain age you can probably make him/her look roughly the same age, or just grab Brolin while you're filming DrS and do some Thanos stuff too?

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    On that note, if you're curious about Strange, find and read The Oath. Because it was great.

It's on Marvel Unlimited. Pretty much the only standalone Dr. Strange story that's on the service.

Which is a travesty. I love The Oath but I really wish I could direct people to a way to easily access some of the other great Strange stories.

• Options
    Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    I keep wondering, what's to keep them from having Swinton play The Ancient One as a couple hundred year old Asian man? The last couple of things I remember seeing her in used relatively heavy make-up, and if they can do it in that god-awful Cloud Atlas movie... They've also capitalized on her androgynous qualities a few times, Constantine and Orlando coming immediately to mind.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Lou29 wrote: »
    I keep wondering, what's to keep them from having Swinton play The Ancient One as a couple hundred year old Asian man? The last couple of things I remember seeing her in used relatively heavy make-up, and if they can do it in that god-awful Cloud Atlas movie... They've also capitalized on her androgynous qualities a few times, Constantine and Orlando coming immediately to mind.

Mainly good taste. Dressing up white actors in makeup to play characters of other ethnicities is a little bit questionable given the history of that.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    And seriously if you're telling me that the only person who can play an old asian man is Tilda Swinton in heavy makeup then fuck you, because if anything one of the only things Western cinema has allowed asian men to do is play wise old mystics. If you're going to change the role and give it to her, then get rid of the asian component altogether. And give one of the nominally non-asian roles to an asian, while you're at it. (Because fuck you.)

• Options
    And seriously if you're telling me that the only person who can play an old asian man is Tilda Swinton in heavy makeup then fuck you, because if anything one of the only things Western cinema has allowed asian men to do is play wise old mystics. If you're going to change the role and give it to her, then get rid of the asian component altogether. And give one of the nominally non-asian roles to an asian, while you're at it. (Because fuck you.)

I think that they'll just have Tilda Swinton playing a white female ancient magic person instead of an asian male ancient magic person.

I think the key designator here is "magic person," not "white female" or "asian male." There are only a limited number of actual magic people in Hollywood, so that's major credentials for Swinton.

• Options

I think that they'll just have Tilda Swinton playing a white female ancient magic person instead of an asian male ancient magic person.

I think the key designator here is "magic person," not "white female" or "asian male." There are only a limited number of actual magic people in Hollywood, so that's major credentials for Swinton.

Movie_Classical_li_bingbing_china_Harbin_Heilongjiang_Li_Bingbing_The_forbidden_Kingdom_112930_detail_thumb.jpg

a83ca6db0b4fbcd88a52cd5f09b60c70.jpg

600full-ken-watanabe.jpg

CTHD_Yeoh.jpg

Maggie-q-nikita.jpg

Ming-Na Wen could have done it if she wasn't already on AoS.

• Options
    Are you saying that, per capita, there are more magical asian people?

I suppose that's slightly less problematic than suggesting a larger quantity of magical black people.

• Options

They're not having a shortage. :)
    I suppose that's slightly less problematic than suggesting a larger quantity of magical black people.

I don't see how that's less problematic then a white actor getting a role for a character whose Asian. It isn't like the MCU films are overpopulated with Asian actors or anything. This'd be less of an issue on the tv side, who have a better track record with this sort of thing. Helen Cho was a big hit in Age of Ultron, and people were excited for Ken Watanabe being Ra's in Batman Begins
    for five seconds before he died.

• Options
    Hollywood has a pretty bad track record with magical black men who somehow improve the life of a white guy. Bagger Vance et. al. Asian mystics are such a hoary trope that even Quentin Tarantino played it straight in Kill Bill: Part 2.

I think my real issue here is that they're probably locked into doing an "asian mentor for a white guy" trope in the Iron Fist Netflix show. They probably just considered veteran "otherworldly" actors for The Ancient One and went with Tilda because their casting gurus, who have been pretty spot-on, think that she'll knock it out of the park.

Plus, if you can't get Mako, why bother?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smTc9Sc0qLE

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Plus, if you can't get Maaco, why bother?
    https://youtu.be/B6izFhAhU5c

(I blame a lack of sleep)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Hollywood has a pretty bad track record with magical black men who somehow improve the life of a white guy. Bagger Vance et. al. Asian mystics are such a hoary trope that even Quentin Tarantino played it straight in Kill Bill: Part 2.

They don't have to play it straight, though. That's a juicy role for any Asian actor to have. They can subvert it in any number of entertaining ways. Write it as a wise mentor who happens to be Asian, not an Asian who happens to be a wise mentor. The MCU's excelled at this when they're motivated. That's why Nick Fury, Falcon and Helen Cho worked.
    I think my real issue here is that they're probably locked into doing an "asian mentor for a white guy" trope in the Iron Fist Netflix show. They probably just considered veteran "otherworldly" actors for The Ancient One and went with Tilda because their casting gurus, who have been pretty spot-on, think that she'll knock it out of the park.

Technically they started off with Yinsen with Iron Man. He wasn't Asian, but he wasn't white either. Why would their Netflix series having an Asian mentor effect their movie division? The movies are their crown jewel with the largest audience, Netflix can't compete with that. It also discounts Stick who was Daredevil's white mentor, and that didn't stop them from casting Swinton. The casting gurus have been spot on, this is a great casting. That's not the problem. It's that they're whitewashed another big Asian role when the movies haven't got many Asian actors to begin with.

Because there's more Asian talent waiting for the opportunity.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    To repeat what I said over on SE++:

I have mixed feelings about this Tilda Swinton thing.

On the one hand, she's a great actor, the MCU needs more prominent women, and the comics Ancient One is a blatant "Wise Old Asian Man On Top of a Mountain" stereotype. On the other hand, the MCU has even fewer prominent roles for Asians than it does for women, and there are ways to get around the worst of the cliches in the Ancient One's character, so to some extent this feels like a bit of a missed opportunity.

Also, Swinton would have made a kickass Nightmare.

Really curious to see how they handle Wong, now.

I dunno, I have difficulty getting too bent out of shape because a role that should have gone to this underrepresented group instead went to that underrepresented group.

Well for one, you aren't going to get any change in the underrepresentation if all you're doing is robbing Peter to pay Paul. If you actually want to address the issue, and take for granted that there are only so many roles to go around, then I'd say it's 100% a problem unless they're changing male or non-white roles as well. Companies still do this thing where they hire black females for one job just to fulfill their "quota".

It isn't about fulfilling a quota, it's about giving characters who aren't defined by their caucasian ancestry a chance to be played by minorities because there's no reason they can't do it now. And the fact that the lead roles in the movies are still dominated by white men. As well as giving minorities a shot at big roles in their movies. Age of Ultron did this with Helen Cho, Asian actors are very rare in those sort of roles and they lost one to Tilda Swinton, presumably. By adding minorities to roles they're definitely adding representation to their movies. Samuel L. Jackson is a huge success as Nick Fury in the MCU.

A good example of this is Trask in X-Men: DofP. There's no need whatsoever for the role to be played by a short person: it just is. Brilliantly, I might add. It doesn't define the character in any way whatsoever, they just went out and bagged themselves a good actor.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Spaffy wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    To repeat what I said over on SE++:

I have mixed feelings about this Tilda Swinton thing.

On the one hand, she's a great actor, the MCU needs more prominent women, and the comics Ancient One is a blatant "Wise Old Asian Man On Top of a Mountain" stereotype. On the other hand, the MCU has even fewer prominent roles for Asians than it does for women, and there are ways to get around the worst of the cliches in the Ancient One's character, so to some extent this feels like a bit of a missed opportunity.

Also, Swinton would have made a kickass Nightmare.

Really curious to see how they handle Wong, now.

I dunno, I have difficulty getting too bent out of shape because a role that should have gone to this underrepresented group instead went to that underrepresented group.

Well for one, you aren't going to get any change in the underrepresentation if all you're doing is robbing Peter to pay Paul. If you actually want to address the issue, and take for granted that there are only so many roles to go around, then I'd say it's 100% a problem unless they're changing male or non-white roles as well. Companies still do this thing where they hire black females for one job just to fulfill their "quota".

It isn't about fulfilling a quota, it's about giving characters who aren't defined by their caucasian ancestry a chance to be played by minorities because there's no reason they can't do it now. And the fact that the lead roles in the movies are still dominated by white men. As well as giving minorities a shot at big roles in their movies. Age of Ultron did this with Helen Cho, Asian actors are very rare in those sort of roles and they lost one to Tilda Swinton, presumably. By adding minorities to roles they're definitely adding representation to their movies. Samuel L. Jackson is a huge success as Nick Fury in the MCU.

A good example of this is Trask in X-Men: DofP. There's no need whatsoever for the role to be played by a short person: it just is. Brilliantly, I might add. It doesn't define the character in any way whatsoever.

And Bill Duke was Trask in X-men: The Last Stand.

• Options

Because there's more Asian talent waiting for the opportunity.

I just wanted an excuse to post the Bushido Blade commercial.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

After her scene in Constantine, I wouldn't be surprised if they just did "white ancient magic person" an leave it to the audience as to what gender she's suppose to be.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    The could address the lack of asians in the MCU by borrowing a certain kick ass SHIELD agent

alls Im sayin...

She's awesome, but I would love to see a Jimmy Woo in Agents of Atlas movie. The setup would work so well within the MCU.

Agents of Atlas:
    Jimmy Wu is a SHIELD agent who ends up inheriting an ancient evil supervillain group from his evil dead dad. Wu and his team decide to roll with it, keeping up the evil supervillain image so his troops don't defect while actually doing good.

They're great fun. Plus, with the setup, you can have them fight the Avengers and win.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Everyone knows black people aren't magical. They're made out of electricity.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Mvrck wrote: »

Er... black people are plenty magical

WARNING: Might not be SFW

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Oh I know all about that. But there is a crazy over arcing trend that when a black guy gets powers in the comics, they are electric based.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Nah. Monica Rambeau, Manifold, Falcon, Luke Cage, Brother Voodoo, War Machine, Nick Fury (if you want to count being inpossible to kill off as a power), Cyborg, Green Lantern, and some others that I can't remember the names to right now are all non-electric.

In the movies there's what, Electro and Static Shock? Static is the only one out of the comics I can think of that's a black guy with electric powers.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

They don't have to play it straight, though. That's a juicy role for any Asian actor to have. They can subvert it in any number of entertaining ways. Write it as a wise mentor who happens to be Asian, not an Asian who happens to be a wise mentor. The MCU's excelled at this when they're motivated. That's why Nick Fury, Falcon and Helen Cho worked.

Neither Fury nor Falcon nor Cho are doing that at all. They are all just characters who happen to be black. There is no stereotype to play in to there.

Your wise ancient sage who teaches the broken wandering white hero how to harness his inner power is asian because of course (s)he fucking is, they always are cause that's the stereotype.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Oh I know all about that. But there is a crazy over arcing trend that when a black guy gets powers in the comics, they are electric based.

They recently recast a white villain with a black actor, that villain, was of course Electro

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2015
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Nah. Monica Rambeau, Manifold, Falcon, Luke Cage, Brother Voodoo, War Machine, Nick Fury (if you want to count being inpossible to kill off as a power), Cyborg, Green Lantern, and some others that I can't remember the names to right now are all non-electric.

In the movies there's what, Electro and Static Shock? Static is the only one out of the comics I can think of that's a black guy with electric powers.

Yes, but think of characters with electric powers and note how many are black.

Edit - oh, you tried. Also add Black Vulcan, Storm, Miles Morales, Black Lightning

A duck! on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    A steak! wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKbGnzmidsw

• Options
    edited May 2015
    shryke wrote: »

Neither Fury nor Falcon nor Cho are doing that at all. They are all just characters who happen to be black. There is no stereotype to play in to there.

Exactly, that's why I listed those as positive examples. There's always negative stereotypes for minority actors to play in roles, Marvel simply rose above it and exceeded expectations.
    Your wise ancient sage who teaches the broken wandering white hero how to harness his inner power is asian because of course (s)he fucking is, they always are cause that's the stereotype.

It's a negative stereotype if it's written that way, hiring an Asian actor doesn't mean they have to do that anymore than having a black actor for Nick Fury means he has to be black negative stereotype. It's on the writers, not the actor - no matter their ethnicity. We know Marvel can do this, and having an Asian actor isn't going to force them to write negative stereotypes. If that was the case Marvel wouldn't touch Luke Cage, not give him a series on Netflix. There's also a dearth of Asian roles in the movie branch, this is their opportunity to give a major role to them.

edit: I gather if Tilden gets the role they'll be changing it for her. No reason they can't do that for an Asian actor so it's not a negative stereotype.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015

http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Electrokinesis
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Electrokinesis

It's really not that many and those lists are pretty generous with who they're counting as being able to shoot electricity.

I guess there's Storm but she's always firmly been just straight up "controls the weather" in my mind. I will freely admit complete ignorance regarding anything involving DC so there is that.

EDIT: Haha, wow. http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Power_(Crisis_on_Two_Earths) "Black Power is the evil counterpart of Black Lightning"

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

No thinking involved.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Electrokinesis
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Electrokinesis

It's really not that many.

I'm trying really hard not to be snarky here, so I'm just gonna say that your links do not self-evidently support your argument.

This discussion has been closed.