As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] Age of Assembling at the new thread cause this one retired!

Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast,be kindRegistered User regular
Agent Carter is finished and was very good! Agents of SHIELD is back and is even better!

Spiomq5.jpg

Daredevil is a Netflix show starting in April about an art lover just trying to make his city a better place, and the inconvenient lawyer always getting in his way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAy6NJ_D5vU

Age of Ultron is out in May. James Spader is a robot with delusions of humanity, hell bent on destroying civilization, and he plays Ultron in this movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAUoeqvedMo

z0txV3M.jpg

OH YEAH and Spider-man is back in the MCU! :D

4Q2taL7.jpg

SPOILER POLICY! The MCU is pretty vast and with how much stuff is airing simultaneously, is not fair to just declare open season on all of it. So wrap and mark anything related to Season 2 of Agents of SHIELD or Agent Carter. Season 1 is fair game. :hydra:

When Age of Ultron and Daredevil come out, make sure to spoiler mark discussion of them and make it clear what you're talking about. Big ol' quote chains can get confusing!

Official announcements like the Spider-man thing is fair game, but wrap up any leaks or unofficial rumours etc.

Oh brilliant
Dark Raven X on

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    You forgot to talk about the Netflix shows, like Daredevil, who is premiering on April 10th!

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Also I love that Agents/Carter promo pic with the blended logo.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I approve of the thread title.

If only the Spider Slayers were real.

(skip Peter, skip Miles, bring back Ben Reilly, kids love hoodies, right?)

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Also I love that Agents/Carter promo pic with the blended logo.
    More like Strategic Hydra Reserve

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I just noticed that Quicksilver's blur actually extends all the way behind Black Widow.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I don't even know where that comic panel at the top comes from but it truly is the most incredibly coincidentally appropriate description of this Sony/Marvel deal.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    shryke wrote: »
    I don't even know where that comic panel at the top comes from but it truly is the most incredibly coincidentally appropriate description of this Sony/Marvel deal.

It's from the first arc of Hickman's run on Avengers.

Also, it's kinda inaccurate since Sony is still financing the Spider-Man movies. "We know what the hell we're doing" would be more accurate than "We have money"

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

The current Avengers run, issue #2. Spidey needs money, Wolverine needs beer, Falcon needs.....birdseed.

Everyone, read that series if you want to read Avengers stuff, don't read the Age of Ultron story that the movie is named off of. Don't hurt yourself like that.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I've got this funny feeling that the most we're going to get of Spider-Man is a cameo. Either due to corporate bureaucracy or some other bullshit. But the plot would be something like: In the aftermath of all this wacky shit going down, more and more heroes pop up, and one of them will be Spidy. And they'll use him for a few scenes. Maybe set up that Civil War stuff, where he's initially a sort of masked vigilante before revealing himself. And then that'll be it. No major impact on the story, no deep interacting with the main cast. Just "Here's Spider-Man! ...Ok now back to the Avengers.".

This is just cynical pessimism talking though.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Between the leak and how Civil War has been described, it sounds like Spider-Man was originally hte "guy on the fence" in Civil War, and when the Sony deal fell through initially, Black Panther got nominated for the spot. Now that deal is back on, and Black Panther got pushed back, I wonder if Spider-Man will again be the in-between guy and if Panther's role will get reduced or eliminated entirely.

I'm probably just being a negative nancy though.

• Options
    I do wonder if this gives BP the shaft.

The great thing about having the C-listers when Marvel started this was they had to be clever about things. T'Challa being incorporated into CW in a more grown up position (which hopefully means a more mature take on the subject than calling people nazis) was a nice puzzle solver with the bonus of bringing BP into his own. But now that you have someone who people will see just because it's Spider-Man, as shown by the last two movies, there's an innate instinct to coast.

I do think they'll make the sting at the end of Age of Ultron to be Spider-Man (in costume) webbing someone or an Ultron robot to quickly put him in place in the MCU, as opposed to maybe Tony and Steve eating Shwarma while looking at each other all pissed off.

Poor Thor though. You would think everything after Dr. Strange would just get the proper bump down six months if it was all tying into IW, but GOTG got to stay where they are while the other dude in an out of world environment has to play second second fiddle.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So given the timing of the announcement, I think we can rest assured that we know who's playing Spider-Man.

Jon Stewart.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I've got this funny feeling that the most we're going to get of Spider-Man is a cameo. Either due to corporate bureaucracy or some other bullshit. But the plot would be something like: In the aftermath of all this wacky shit going down, more and more heroes pop up, and one of them will be Spidy. And they'll use him for a few scenes. Maybe set up that Civil War stuff, where he's initially a sort of masked vigilante before revealing himself. And then that'll be it. No major impact on the story, no deep interacting with the main cast. Just "Here's Spider-Man! ...Ok now back to the Avengers.".

This is just cynical pessimism talking though.

I'll take it. Let Black Panther have the spotlight in Civil War.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So given the timing of the announcement, I think we can rest assured that we know who's playing Spider-Man.

Jon Stewart.

He'd be playing Spider-Man's older, shorter Jewish uncle.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    .....if you make him grow a mustache and trim his hippy hair he would be JJJ.

That might be too meta irony-y

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah, at this point I'm not looking for Spiderman to have any sort of focus in his MCU debut. A cameo with the new actor is plenty. That will let audiences know there's another new Spiderman, let them adjust, then hit them with the standalone movie.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    http://variety.com/2015/film/news/spider-man-new-movie-high-school-marvel-1201430231/
    Sony is going younger with its next Spider-Man.

Now that Andrew Garfield is hanging up the red and blue spandex, Sony Pictures is getting ready to put out a casting call to find its next webslinger. The plan is for the character to go back to high school in the next films, Variety has learned from sources with knowledge of the studio’s plans.

Several actors have already been mentioned as being considered for the role, including “The Maze Runner” and “Teen Wolf’s” Dylan O’Brien and the “Percy Jackson” franchise’s Logan Lerman. Lerman most recently co-starred in Sony’s “Fury.”

Actors have yet to be approached, and sources say Sony is looking to hire a new director to replace “The Amazing Spider-Man” films’ Marc Webb before tapping a new Spidey. The studio also needs to figure out whether it wants to go with another Peter Parker or introduce another character that suits up as Spider-Man, including Miles Morales, whose father is African American and mother is Puerto Rican.

Sony has put the character, played by Tobey Maguire and Garfield, in Midtown High School before, but the plan is to spend more time in the setting and explore his awkward relationship with other students while fighting crime out of the classroom. Midtown is a major setting in the comicbooks, and Peter Parker also returns to the school to become a science teacher in storylines.

Sony needs to move fast, since Marvel wants to introduce the new actor playing Spider-Man in “Captain America: Civil War” in theaters in 2016 before launching his own solo franchise at Sony in 2017.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    They should just go with someone playing Miles Morales, isn't that kind of the direction Marvel is planning to go with the comics?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    My wife and I have slowly been trying to catch up on the MCU. We were always pretty casual about it, catching the movies in the theater if we thought it looked interesting. But we still missed a lot. I think the only films we saw in the theater were Iron Man 1 & 2, The Avengers, and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. We've been working on catching up, though. We've now seen most of the movies, having recently seen Iron Man 3 and The incredible Hulk, both of which were a lot better than we expected.

And we're trying to catch up on the TV shows and one-shots. We started watching Agent Carter, which my wife really likes a lot, and that led into watching Agents of SHIELD on Netflix. Aside from those, all we need to see now is Guardians of the Galaxy, and I'm working on that!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I've got 3 weeks leave coming up due to recovery from surgery. I think that's a perfect excuse to marathon the MCU.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I would love to see Miles, but isn't a large part of the character how he has to deal with Parker's legacy?

• Options
    I have a schedule of 2-4 hours a day for a month to get the whole MCU done before Age of Ultron. Gonna start it in April and hope that Daredevil doesn't throw it off too badly.

• Options
    I would love to see Miles, but isn't a large part of the character how he has to deal with Parker's legacy?

Yes. But I'd like to see them side by side. Maybe one of them can get a tv series? Or rotate the movies or something.

• Options
    Forget Miles, lets get Spider-Gwen!

• Options

They're doing a similar thing already with Scott Lang and skipping Pyms days as Ant Man.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular

Spider-fetus confirmed.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

They're doing a similar thing already with Scott Lang and skipping Pyms days as Ant Man.

There's a rumor Ant-Man is going to show Pym in his prime in flashbacks.

• Options
    I was expecting freshman in college or something so we can just accept some of what happened in ASM without having to see it again, almost James Bond it and move on to MJ etc, but to hover in high school is making my own spidey sense tingle. Teen hero talking down experienced heroes, that feels almost guaranteed to happen. At least that way Thanos is totally justified killing him (and that's how we get Miles).

The Percy Jackson kid seems like a decent choice, saw that first movie and he was good, I just don't know if there's anyone stand-out out there (or American! Buy American!). If that kid from Real Steel is still acting he would be good, he's one of the few kid actors in recent years who wasn't terrible and would be the right age.

• Options

Are they gonna go all Tron Legacy/X-Men 3 on Michael Douglas?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Spider-fetus confirmed.

First issue: Spider-Fetus versus ........

Nuhhhhhhhhhver mind. Too tasteless even for me.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    The more I think about it, the less I like this whole thing. I simply do not trust Sony with the MCU. The whole genius of the MCU's success is that it's been painstakingly crafted and overseen by Marvel Studios. Everything has been made to fit together, it's all the same world. The MCU works because it's all quality all the time.

Now Sony has its grubby little fingers in it, and they're apparently still making a fucking Sinister Six movie. Previously, I could just safely ignore that nonsense, but now it's going to be part of the MCU. Whatever stupid crap they decide to do in whatever movies they make, will now have happened in the MCU.

From Variety:
    The studio is still moving forward with the Spider-Man villain-centric “Sinister Six,” and “Venom” spinoff, as well as a film that features female characters in the “Spider-Man” universe. “The Amazing Spider-Man 3″ has been cancelled. While Marvel’s Kevin Feige is involved with Sony’s new “Spider-Man” films, he is currently not expected to be creatively involved with the spinoffs, sources say.

I keep reading stuff like "Now that Sony has Feige & Marvel helping them out, they'd be stupid not to listen to them". Well, yeah. But they aren't not stupid. That's the whole point. Plus, according to that report, Feige isn't even going to have anything to do with all of these sure-to-be-crappy Spider-Man spinoff movies.

Marvel in no way needed Spider-Man to show up in their movies for them to be successful, I think that's been proven by now. Like, Infinity War was already going to make all the money. I don't know how much more than all they can make by putting Spidey in there. But it seems to me they're taking a huge risk to the value of the brand they've built by letting a proven failure of a studio have any kind of creative control over it.

This on
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

Are they gonna go all Tron Legacy/X-Men 3 on Michael Douglas?

That'd be great.
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The Percy Jackson kid seems like a decent choice, saw that first movie and he was good, I just don't know if there's anyone stand-out out there (or American! Buy American!). If that kid from Real Steel is still acting he would be good, he's one of the few kid actors in recent years who wasn't terrible and would be the right age.

Lerman's acceptable. Daddario for Mary-Jane? O'Brien's amazing. His not! Xander on Teen Wolf is brilliant.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

Spider-fetus confirmed.

First issue: Spider-Fetus versus ........

Nuhhhhhhhhhver mind. Too tasteless even for me.

I think the Shocker would be a good first encounter

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    They should just go with someone playing Miles Morales, isn't that kind of the direction Marvel is planning to go with the comics?

How is Jaden Smith as a young actor? If they're going high school--especially for more than one movie--Donald Glover might be too old.

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options

How is Jaden Smith as a young actor? If they're going high school--especially for more than one movie--Donald Glover might be too old.

No, please god no.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

No, please god no.

Maybe he could be a Doombot.

• Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular

No, please god no.

I don't think I've seen a single thing he's been in. That said, his dad has been grooming him, he's been in action movies (though that's about as much as I do know about him), and he's the right age range. I assume from the comment he can't act?

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    This wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the less I like this whole thing. I simply do not trust Sony with the MCU. The whole genius of the MCU's success is that it's been painstakingly crafted and overseen by Marvel Studios. Everything has been made to fit together, it's all the same world. The MCU works because it's all quality all the time.

Now Sony has its grubby little fingers in it, and they're apparently still making a fucking Sinister Six movie. Previously, I could just safely ignore that nonsense, but now it's going to be part of the MCU. Whatever stupid crap they decide to do in whatever movies they make, will now have happened in the MCU.

From Variety:
    The studio is still moving forward with the Spider-Man villain-centric “Sinister Six,” and “Venom” spinoff, as well as a film that features female characters in the “Spider-Man” universe. “The Amazing Spider-Man 3″ has been cancelled. While Marvel’s Kevin Feige is involved with Sony’s new “Spider-Man” films, he is currently not expected to be creatively involved with the spinoffs, sources say.

I keep reading stuff like "Now that Sony has Feige & Marvel helping them out, they'd be stupid not to listen to them". Well, yeah. But they aren't not stupid. That's the whole point. Plus, according to that report, Feige isn't even going to have anything to do with all of these sure-to-be-crappy Spider-Man spinoff movies.

I'm skeptical Sony are the ones with leverage in that partnership. Sony needs Marvel more than Marvel needs Sony.
    Marvel in no way needed Spider-Man to show up in their movies for them to be successful, I think that's been proven by now. Like, Infinity War was already going to make all the money. I don't know how much more than all they can make by putting Spidey in there. But it seems to me they're taking a huge risk to the value of the brand they've built by letting a proven failure of a studio have any kind of creative control over it.

Marvel doesn't need Spider-man but they'd be foolish to ignore him. Spider-man is the most profitable super-hero in the world and they own the merchandise, not Sony. Spider-man won't break the MCU by existing, he can slot right in seamlessly. This isn't an X-men situation.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/superhero-earns-13-billion-a-748281

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    http://variety.com/2015/film/news/spider-man-new-movie-high-school-marvel-1201430231/

Now that Andrew Garfield is hanging up the red and blue spandex, Sony Pictures is getting ready to put out a casting call to find its next webslinger. The plan is for the character to go back to high school in the next films, Variety has learned from sources with knowledge of the studio’s plans.

Several actors have already been mentioned as being considered for the role, including “The Maze Runner” and “Teen Wolf’s” Dylan O’Brien and the “Percy Jackson” franchise’s Logan Lerman. Lerman most recently co-starred in Sony’s “Fury.”

Actors have yet to be approached, and sources say Sony is looking to hire a new director to replace “The Amazing Spider-Man” films’ Marc Webb before tapping a new Spidey. The studio also needs to figure out whether it wants to go with another Peter Parker or introduce another character that suits up as Spider-Man, including Miles Morales, whose father is African American and mother is Puerto Rican.

Sony has put the character, played by Tobey Maguire and Garfield, in Midtown High School before, but the plan is to spend more time in the setting and explore his awkward relationship with other students while fighting crime out of the classroom. Midtown is a major setting in the comicbooks, and Peter Parker also returns to the school to become a science teacher in storylines.

Sony needs to move fast, since Marvel wants to introduce the new actor playing Spider-Man in “Captain America: Civil War” in theaters in 2016 before launching his own solo franchise at Sony in 2017.

Me, just now:

Wait how old is Lerman

*looks*

23? That's younger?

*looks at Garfield*

how is he older than I am and playing a high schooler

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    This wrote: »
    Marvel in no way needed Spider-Man to show up in their movies for them to be successful, I think that's been proven by now.

It's obviously not a case of success, as pointed out by many, Marvels movies are printable money.

However, Spiderman is one of the most recognisable Marvel heroes. Everyone knows who Spiderman is. He's up there with Captain America in terms of pop culture exposure.

You can be sure Marvel wanted that property back in its movies. You can also be sure Marvel knows that its movies are printable money, and don't want to screw that up. While yes, Sony is getting a good deal out of it, Marvel certainly wouldn't have entered into a bad deal for themselves.

This discussion has been closed.