Options

[Wii U] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Here's hoping Nintendo can figure out a much more cost effective emulator solution for the NX. The upgrade cost for the WiiU VC was worth it but the number of releases is pretty shameful

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I hope they continue on with the Retro Remix series because its pretty damn great!

Continually unlocking new things in it at the moment as well. Its a perfect synergy of Wii Ware and Wii/Wii U VC.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I can't promise you that won't happen, but it would be unprecedented for Nintendo to launch new hardware in the same year they formally announce it.

It's not unprecedented. It happened with the DS, a system that ended up being the replacement for another even though Nintendo claimed it wasn't. Isn't NX supposed to be some kind of third pillar too? Hmmmmm.

Personally, I'd wait to see what NX is. I don't think Wii U has much of a future. Keep in mind I'm known to be pretty negative.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Nintendo's own VR system perhaps that uses the GamePad as its controller.

Just to keep confusion going with the GamePad and how it relates to new and old systems.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Wii Y: Why Indeed

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      edited June 2015
      I honestly don't even care what the NX is at this point. Its likely about 2 years out still (at least) and in between that time and now there is Super Mario Maker, Star Fox Zero, Zelda Wii U, and games we don't even know about yet that will continue to be what I anticipate and focus on.

Not to mention that I still have plenty of already released Wii U games to catch up on and enjoy before I begin to give a shit about what Next Xenomorph could theoretically be.

Rehab on
    • Options
      UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      edited June 2015
      Taramoor wrote: »
      The upgrade cost for the WiiU VC was worth it but the number of releases is pretty shameful

Is it? Wikipedia says there are 398 Wii VC games and 171 Wii U VC games.

Getting about half of the library is pretty good when studios had to explicitly re-up their VC games for the new console. In many cases it's not Nintendo's fault - Konami hasn't rereleased Hudson's back catalog on Wii U, which includes the whole TurboGrafx (59 games), and SNK didn't bother to rerelease their Neo Geo games (54 games). Sega hasn't either which means we're missing the whole Master System and Genesis, and some of the few arcade games as well, which is almost 100 games. In fact, the lack of those systems right there almost make up for the difference between Wii and Wii U. And for whatever reason, Square Enix hasn't returned either.

Nintendo are doing their best to make up for it with GBA and DS VC. There are actually a ton of GBA games available, I think a lot of people tend to not count those because they want them portable on 3DS and thus dismiss that part of the service.

UncleSporky on
      Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
      I figure in regards to VR Nintendo's just going to take a step back and see how the market actually responds to it first. If it responds positively, they can work on building a console that's actually designed with it in mind instead of having to kludge something together like everyone else is doing. If it doesn't... well, they won't be the one getting cut by being on the bleeding edge for once.

persona4celestia.jpg
      COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    • Options
      The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
      That would be my bet. On the one hand Reggie's comment is really dismissive of the whole thing. On the other hand, I'm still not convinced the public at large is going to embrace it the way the enthusiasts think they will. There are just so many breaking points where I can see the average Joe deciding it's not worth the trouble, no matter how cool it is.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    • Options
      SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
      The upgrade cost for the WiiU VC was worth it but the number of releases is pretty shameful

Getting about half of the library is pretty good when studios had to explicitly re-up their VC games for the new console. In many cases it's not Nintendo's fault - Konami hasn't rereleased Hudson's back catalog on Wii U, which includes the whole TurboGrafx (59 games), and SNK didn't bother to rerelease their Neo Geo games (54 games). Sega hasn't either which means we're missing the whole Master System and Genesis, and some of the few arcade games as well, which is almost 100 games. In fact, the lack of those systems right there almost make up for the difference between Wii and Wii U. And for whatever reason, Square Enix hasn't returned either.

Nintendo are doing their best to make up for it with GBA and DS VC. There are actually a ton of GBA games available, I think a lot of people tend to not count those because they want them portable on 3DS and thus dismiss that part of the service.

but even the first party stuff is missing.
      look at the n64 lists - the wii has 19 nintendo published games, the wiiu has 2 of them

and I don't think they're doing their best with the portable stuff. 5 ds games, 2 of which are garbage?
      doing their best would've been even mentioning it during their e3 stuff, maybe with a "here's a list of 25 games, 1 coming a week through the end of the year"

• Options
      AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
      I was very surprised they didn't mention any VC at E3.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    • Options
      ZythonZython Registered User regular

but even the first party stuff is missing.
      look at the n64 lists - the wii has 19 nintendo published games, the wiiu has 2 of them

and I don't think they're doing their best with the portable stuff. 5 ds games, 2 of which are garbage?
      doing their best would've been even mentioning it during their e3 stuff, maybe with a "here's a list of 25 games, 1 coming a week through the end of the year"

Which 2 are garbage? Because if one of them is Yoshi's Touch & Go, we're gonna have to talk.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
      Steam: pazython
    • Options
      darren66darren66 Registered User regular
      Rehab wrote: »
      I honestly don't even care what the NX is at this point. Its likely about 2 years out still (at least) and in between that time and now there is Super Mario Maker, Star Fox Zero, Zelda Wii U, and games we don't even know about yet that will continue to be what I anticipate and focus on.

Not to mention that I still have plenty of already released Wii U games to catch up on and enjoy before I begin to give a shit about what Next Xenomorph could theoretically be.

There's no guarantee that Zelda is coming to Wii U, jumping the gun here a little bit.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
      Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
      2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
      I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
    • Options
      skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      darren66 wrote: »

There's no guarantee that Zelda is coming to Wii U, jumping the gun here a little bit.

Of course Zelda is coming to Wii U.

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options

No, they've stated it's still coming to Wii U. Probably in holiday 2016.

• Options
      Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
      edited June 2015
      In E3 interviews both Miyamoto and Reggie were not the least bit hesitant in asserting it was coming out next year on Wii U, there's no reason to assume it's not coming out for Wii U except for baseless speculation

EDIT: If they push Zelda U to the NX it would be the only Nintendo device without it's own Zelda game other than the Virtual Boy since the series started, boy would that be uncomfortable company for the Wii U to be in

Care Free Bomb on
      8saxds2jkfoy.png
      3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
      Twitter/Tumblr
    • Options
      EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
      edited June 2015

?

They announced Mother 1 at their NWC E3 event.

So... 1 game announced at E3. Plus another handful if you count the DS titles they announced over Twitter last week.

Not too great.

Enlong on
    • Options
      maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

Why is the internet so collectively obsessed with the possibility of the Wii U not getting a Zelda title?

FU7kFbw.png
      Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    • Options
      HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular

Why is the internet so collectively obsessed with the possibility of the Wii U not getting a Zelda title?

DOOM

• Options
      As far as I know Wii U isn't getting Doom either. ;)

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    • Options
      DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular

Because saving it for the NX would be a great lead to sell the new console. I don't think they're going to do it, but it is a pretty juicy idea.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
    • Options
      MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
      edited June 2015
      Every console gets its own Zelda. They won't change that, or they'll enrage their fans even more than with the Metroid Prime Federation Force announcement.

Mblackwell on
      Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
      Some men just want to watch the world burn.

• Options
      Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
      Enlong wrote: »

?

So... 1 game announced at E3. Plus another handful if you count the DS titles they announced over Twitter last week.

Not too great.

They also announced Sacred Stones/Partners in Time/That third game I'm forgetting.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    • Options
      HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular

I invested in a Wii U because I expected specific Nintendo titles to be made for it. I don't buy Nintendo consoles so I can play Call of Duty. I want my 'next-gen' Zelda, Mario Kart, etc.

I don't care as much as about a console as I do the games that go on said console. Nintendo make amazing games, it's what they are ridiculous good at, so the idea of waiting for ANOTHER console to play games I expected is disheartening.

Mind you, that won't be the case and we will get our Zelda on Wii U, but I can totally understand why people would worry. Not everyone follows the market or has their finger on the pulse of gaming and this E3 didn't show a lot of support for Wii U titles so confidence is shaken in some.

Showing us Zelda U at different points and then going totally dark on it is akin to your partner suddenly getting a headache while half-undressed and goes to bed. All we got to see was what we don't get to play with.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    • Options
      edited June 2015
      Enlong wrote: »

?

Not too great.

They also announced Sacred Stones/Partners in Time/That third game I'm forgetting.

Art Academy, apparently. Don't blame you for forgetting.
      Mblackwell wrote: »
      Every console gets its own Zelda. They won't change that, or they'll enrage their fans even more than with the Metroid Prime Federation Force announcement.

I think the best thing Nintendo can do with the remaining time of the Wii U is to get their "once per gen" staples on it. That way, people can be confident that future consoles will have at least that much. The only games I think are missing are:

-Zelda
      -Animal Crossing
      -Mario Golf

Any others?

Zython on
    • Options
      King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
      PMAvers wrote: »
      I figure in regards to VR Nintendo's just going to take a step back and see how the market actually responds to it first. If it responds positively, they can work on building a console that's actually designed with it in mind instead of having to kludge something together like everyone else is doing. If it doesn't... well, they won't be the one getting cut by being on the bleeding edge for once.

As someone who is probably as close to the average consumer as you can get on here VR is still too expensive and Clunky. Holo Lens looks interesting and I think ultimately that's what I would invest in but only a few years in after it's shrunk or if they can work it into perscription glasses

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    • Options

I think in some peoples minds the release of HD Zelda and the NX are a lot closer than they will (in all likelihood) end up being.

• Options
      edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
      I expect that, for whatever development things they're doing, Zelda will be out next year. Way before NX comes out.

• Options
      Zython wrote: »
      Any others?

Wave Race, Pilotwings, and Punch Out aren't exactly "one per console" games but are certainly Nintendo mainstays. The later is the only one that seems reasonably likely though. Aren't the other two always launch window releases? That sounds right.

• Options
      eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
      edited June 2015
      As much as I love the Nintendo Directs and hope they keep doing them, if they intend to announce the NX at E3 next year I want them to do an actual press conference. Any more Wii U games in development can be shown off through Nintendo Directs because unfortunately it feels like a lost cause showing them to anyone but the Nintendo faithful at this point, but start the E3 press conference with the one everyone knows is going to be shown, Zelda. Announce a release date, then surprise everyone by announcing the NX releases the same day as Zelda U and is backwards compatible with Wii U titles, followed by NX features and games developed specifically for it.

Probably won't happen that way but given the reaction to the Xbox One being backwards compatible, people clearly still want backwards compatibility and I hope that is a feature Nintendo continues to embrace as well. Especially with the number of people that have missed out on the excellent Wii U library, using a popular Wii U game as a pseudo launch title along with discounting many of the other great Wii U games Nintendo has made would help shore up the launch lineup for the NX for the majority of consumers that skipped the Wii U.

Oh and just for discussions sake, if I could pick any five games to launch the NX with? Super Mario Galaxy 3, Splatoon 2, F-Zero NX, The Legend of Zelda Maker(2D Zelda games), and Eternal Darkness HD.

eelektrik on
      (She/Her)
    • Options
      HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
      Iwata says he isn't coming to E3's because they don't have hardware to announce. It's safe to assume that when they have to announce the NX, they will do a stage presentation.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    • Options
      DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
      It's Nintendo's highest quality first part output...ever. Hell because they are one of the only publishers making stuff for it it likely has the best ratio of great retail games to junk of any console released, though that's more of an insult to the lack of success than anything else.

Not only that, but consider all the great games available to you:

Wii U Retail Games
      Wii U eShop Games
      Wii U Virtual Console titles (Including Nintendo DS and GBA titles.)
      Wii Retail Games
      Wii Virtual Console Games
      Wiiware Games

Plus, if you want to get hacky, you can technically even play Gamecube games and other platforms through unspeakable methods, but that's not something I dabble in so I won't include it in my list.

So yeah, the best lineup of games on any Nintendo platform ever, IMHO.

Only if it could play 3DS titles in some capacity we'd be in business.

Yeah. Once people figured out how to play Gamecube games on the WiiU with the Gamecube controller adapter, I ripped all of mine and then put my Wii into storage.

My WiiU is a three-generation Nintendo cosnole and it's fucking awesome. And four-six if you include the N64/SNES/NES Virtual Console games.

You can do that? Where can I find how to do that? I have my Gamecube collection collecting dust because I'm too lazy to hook up another console...

Steam ID: Right here.
    • Options
      Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
      Nintendo is really the company to expect Backwards Compatibility with, honestly. Moving forward, I think all three are going to have it (The loss of it from PS3->PS4/360->XBone was because of the larger hardware switch, and the fact that Microsoft got software emulation for the 360 working is nothing short of astounding in the 'almost too good to be true' area) but Nintendo is the one least likely to change what they do, and what they do is make their own things. I don't see them ever switching to something more 'standardized' because that's just not what they do.

Though it does sort of come down to what the NX actually uses as a controller input. Which is kind of a can of worms in itself. No way it releases next year, though. At the very earliest, they'll unveil it around E3 and it'll release the following year.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    • Options
      eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
      Darth_Mogs wrote: »
      Nintendo is really the company to expect Backwards Compatibility with, honestly. Moving forward, I think all three are going to have it (The loss of it from PS3->PS4/360->XBone was because of the larger hardware switch, and the fact that Microsoft got software emulation for the 360 working is nothing short of astounding in the 'almost too good to be true' area) but Nintendo is the one least likely to change what they do, and what they do is make their own things. I don't see them ever switching to something more 'standardized' because that's just not what they do.

Though it does sort of come down to what the NX actually uses as a controller input. Which is kind of a can of worms in itself. No way it releases next year, though. At the very earliest, they'll unveil it around E3 and it'll release the following year.

When the biggest Wii U game announcement at E3 that wasn't already confirmed in development at least year's E3 or earlier, is Mario Tennis, it sure seems like Wii U development is winding down. The new Star Fox was great to see a closer to finished version of but they did announce it last year basically, and how long have they been talking about Yoshi's Wooly World, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and #FE(Which I assume used to be SMTxFE)?

I think the NX is further along than people expect.

(She/Her)
    • Options
      edited June 2015
      eelektrik wrote: »
      Darth_Mogs wrote: »

When the biggest Wii U game announcement at E3 that wasn't already confirmed in development at least year's E3 or earlier, is Mario Tennis, it sure seems like Wii U development is winding down. The new Star Fox was great to see a closer to finished version of but they did announce it last year basically, and how long have they been talking about Yoshi's Wooly World, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and #FE(Which I assume used to be SMTxFE)?

I think the NX is further along than people expect.

Eh, I think they just misread the tea leaves in what would play well with the audience this year (not like they haven't done that before). Will we see a lot of large projects for the Wii U down the road? Probably not. But I think Nintendo will still support the system until the NX launches. Not really doing so for the Wii was a terrible mistake, and I think they realize as much. We'll know for sure when 2016 rolls around.

Zython on
    • Options
      DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
      SiGG wrote: »
      Would you guys recommend the Wii U? I've heard some concern that Nintendo they may be releasing a new platform soon? I was considering buying a Wii U but if the next system is a year down the line I may just wait for that. I have a PS3 but I mostly use it to play blu-rays. I kinda prefer the Nintendo titles and platformers in general. I also like the idea of the virtual console for some classic NES and SNES games.

If you've held out this long and don't have a pressing need to play the games right now, I'd suggest holding off until we hear more about the NX. Specifically whether it will be backwards-compatible or not, and what the release date will actually be.

There are absolutely some great games on the system, and I think they're worth playing! But as a few others have mentioned, I suspect the NX is farther along than Nintendo are letting on. It'd be a shame to drop 400 on a system and then have a new system launched which is still capable of playing Wii U games.

Your call though-- if you want to play Nintendo games right now, there's some great offerings on the system. If you can wait to play, it might be worth it to hold off.

• Options
      I dunno, they said they're going to talk about NX next E3. That's at least one guaranteed year for Wii U (and you know it's not coming out AT E3, so it'll be longer than that, even). A year is a pretty long time to wait, and it's also a pretty long time to be able to enjoy a gaming device.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
      Has anyone actually played the Minecraft clone on the eShop? Just curious...

• Options
      Has anyone actually played the Minecraft clone on the eShop? Just curious...

This one? You can usually count on Nintendo Life to have played and reviewed any game.