Options

The shameful, depressing [Election 2016] Thread [READ THE OP]

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/07/03/3676816/happy-fourth-no-more-national-parks/

I hope this becomes a campaign issue so that a light gets shone on it, if nothing else. Fuck you, Kochs.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkk thaaaaaaaattttt nooooooiiiiiisssseeeee.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Also, Republican policy is only 'good for the economy' if your definition of 'good for the economy' is 'it benefited a small, narrow subset of wealthy people in a handful of fields'.
    For the vast majority of people, their policies are actively damaging.

I really don't care that Steve the Investment Banker got to keep his job gambling with peoples investments if the same set of policies also wipes out the life savings of thousands of lower earning families.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    shryke wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Can we not obliquely compare the Republican Party to the Nazi Party?

I don't know, can the Republican party not be horribly racist and sexist? Cause these two things, they are intimately connected. That's the point of the example.

You'd think the recent reactions to the whole Confederate Flag thing would have made this quite clear.

While parallels exist, so do with any far right nationalistic political party, it's the nature of the beast.
    We still should avoud Godwinning the thread.

I like to joke about how the difference between Confederate Flag and Swastika is, that swastika has actual historical background not steeped in racism.
    That does not follow that people using the confederate flag are as bad or worse, or even that similar, to Nazis.

But again, the whole discussion is "Is it ok to vote for a party of racism and bigotry because of their economic policy?".

So you bring up an example of a party of racism and bigotry that nobody argues isn't one, like the neo-nazis. Because it doesn't actually matter if the party in question is racist against blacks or jews or latinos or asians or whatever. It's all the same shit to the question.

If the Nazis had stopped at just being racist then the 30's would have been a picnic.

moniker on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    What I really don't understand is how so many people can buy into the Republican line about trickle-down economics.

I mean, what evidence is there that taxing rich people more is bad for the economy? The 1% doesn't spend any more money on creating jobs just because they aren't paying higher taxes, they just keep putting it into ways that generate money for them without having to pay more taxes.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    What I really don't understand is how so many people can buy into the Republican line about trickle-down economics.

I mean, what evidence is there that taxing rich people more is bad for the economy? The 1% doesn't spend any more money on creating jobs just because they aren't paying higher taxes, they just keep putting it into ways that generate money for them without having to pay more taxes.
    It's absolutely ridiculous, because it's been tried what, three times now? And each time the money's never "trickled down".

• Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular

It is ver ingrained in American society that you worth as a person equals the size of your bank account. Cos of the whole Calvinist attitude. I see a lot of people being decidedly uncomfortable with the idea of criticizing the wealthy in any capacity

• Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular

I don't know, can the Republican party not be horribly racist and sexist? Cause these two things, they are intimately connected. That's the point of the example.

You'd think the recent reactions to the whole Confederate Flag thing would have made this quite clear.

While parallels exist, so do with any far right nationalistic political party, it's the nature of the beast.

I like to joke about how the difference between Confederate Flag and Swastika is, that swastika has actual historical background not steeped in racism.
    That does not follow that people using the confederate flag are as bad or worse, or even that similar, to Nazis.

But again, the whole discussion is "Is it ok to vote for a party of racism and bigotry because of their economic policy?".

So you bring up an example of a party of racism and bigotry that nobody argues isn't one, like the neo-nazis. Because it doesn't actually matter if the party in question is racist against blacks or jews or latinos or asians or whatever. It's all the same shit to the question.

If the Nazis had stopped at just being racist then the 30's would have been a picnic.

If the GOP would stop at expressing racist views instead of implementing racist policies, we'd be having a lot better time of things too. Obviously a literal equation of the GOP and the Nazis is ridiculous, but it's inescapably true that the GOP is, by and large, the party of bigotry in America, and that extends to their actions as well as their words.

I'm sure many members of the party, maybe even most, are unhappy with that state of affairs, and I can't blame them. It's important to recognize that this is a shitty situation that grows in part from our stupid two-party system, which ends up lumping all kinds of disparate interests and viewpoints into single power blocs. There is no party for people who favor Republican economic and environmental policies but support gay marriage and liberal immigration policy, for instance, which is a bummer for anyone in that group.

It seems like the central question we're debating here is whether a reasonable person can justifiably vote for the GOP in these circumstances. I don't know, I don't want to vilify close to half the nation, but it's certainly not a case I can even attempt to argue. But then I don't like almost any part of their platform, so I'm not really the person to ask.

Rather than fighting about this amongst ourselves I would be more interested in hearing the rationale of someone who's made the decision to vote GOP for themselves, despite an awareness of the regressive social policies that entails supporting. We've gotten a hint of that from Captain Marcus, but not enough to be very illuminating.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Dunder wrote: »
    I see a lot of people being decidedly uncomfortable with the idea of criticizing the wealthy in any capacity

My opinion is that if you have more than eight digits to your name, you can afford to be criticized.

See how I made a joke there? But I'm being serious.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Trickle down economics was, back in the day, called the horse-and-sparrow theory. The idea is, you feed a horse enough oats and some of it will pass through and the sparrows can eat some oats on the back end.

Which is to say, the idea is literally shit.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

It's a bunch of rich people telling you what will make money. That they are rich is usually enough to give them economic credibility in the eyes of many. They just neglect to mention where the money will predominantly go.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »

It's a bunch of rich people telling you what will make money. That they are rich is usually enough to give them economic credibility in the eyes of many. They just neglect to mention where the money will predominantly go.

Indeed, the ultra-wealthy are very skilled at getting all the money away from everyone else. What's unclear is why that means we should want their advice about how to structure the economy so that everyone has some money.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

Indeed, the ultra-wealthy are very skilled at getting all the money away from everyone else. What's unclear is why that means we should want their advice about how to structure the economy so that everyone has some money.

Because we don't want everyone to have some money. If we did, we wouldn't be all too eager to cut up the safety net, or keep a pitiful minimum wage. We want certain people like us to have some money. And what we are is 'not yet rich'

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    @spacekungfuman ,

Why do you feel republican economic policy is better?

Were there more jobs at the end of 2008 after 8 years of republican everything? Or are there more jobs and a better economy currently?

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    @spacekungfuman ,

Were there more jobs at the end of 2008 after 8 years of republican everything? Or are there more jobs and a better economy currently?

The 2008 crash was the result not of just W's time in office, but an unbroken string of neoliberal anti-regulation economic policy kicked off by Reagan and happily continued by Clinton. We do tend to characterize that as "Republican" economic policy but to be fair the centrist Democratic bloc is virtually indistinguishable on this issue at this point.

Which is part of why I don't have a great deal of faith in Hillary Clinton to make substantial progress on this front. Campaign statements aside, this is her power base. She owes too much to entrenched plutocratic interests to fight unencumbered. I certainly expect she'll be better than whoever the GOP puts up, but she's not my preferred representative.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    @spacekungfuman ,

You don't even need to go all the way back to 2008. Just look at current day Kansas, Wisconsin, and Louisiana.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So history has shown the GOP to be completely wrong about the economy, what's history? Words on a page, if we try tax cuts for the wealthy this time, I swear it'll work this time for everyone and not just the mega rich.

Besides I don't want my theoretical taxes going up, see I'm not poor I'm a displaced millionare, with this tax cut to the mega wealthy I'll finally get mine.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Or there is the cultural stuff that makes people go republican, like when the left started to look down on Christians. Like, "Haha there goes churchie! Eaten any magical fleshcrackers today churchie?". Stuff like that. A dark chapter.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yes I totally remember when the democrats became the anti christian party in merica. I mean electing a hidden muslim was one thing, but the christmas purges were awful.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yes I totally remember when the democrats became the anti christian party in merica. I mean electing a hidden muslim was one thing, but the christmas purges were awful.

Personally, I thought the FEMA run protestant gulags were a bit much.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015

If the GOP would stop at expressing racist views instead of implementing racist policies, we'd be having a lot better time of things too. Obviously a literal equation of the GOP and the Nazis is ridiculous, but it's inescapably true that the GOP is, by and large, the party of bigotry in America, and that extends to their actions as well as their words.

I'm sure many members of the party, maybe even most, are unhappy with that state of affairs, and I can't blame them. It's important to recognize that this is a shitty situation that grows in part from our stupid two-party system, which ends up lumping all kinds of disparate interests and viewpoints into single power blocs. There is no party for people who favor Republican economic and environmental policies but support gay marriage and liberal immigration policy, for instance, which is a bummer for anyone in that group.

It seems like the central question we're debating here is whether a reasonable person can justifiably vote for the GOP in these circumstances. I don't know, I don't want to vilify close to half the nation, but it's certainly not a case I can even attempt to argue. But then I don't like almost any part of their platform, so I'm not really the person to ask.

Rather than fighting about this amongst ourselves I would be more interested in hearing the rationale of someone who's made the decision to vote GOP for themselves, despite an awareness of the regressive social policies that entails supporting. We've gotten a hint of that from Captain Marcus, but not enough to be very illuminating.

I sure can

where are these people when the party whines about affirmative action

where were they when the supreme court struck down the voting rights act

if these people are bothered by racism, it's obviously not enough to say anything or do anything, which means they are a negative value in that struggle

Shorty on
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Quid wrote: »
    jmcdonald wrote: »
    dingdingdingdingding!

What is the opportunity cost of trying to determine what this non-participant group wants, a group that may not be (and likely isn't) uniform in its composition?

It depends. How badly does she want to win?
    It'd be nice, if you know, this group of "voters" (hahahahahahahaha) actually contributed in some way to clarify what it was their desires were.

It'd be nice if the Dems gave them a reason to.

You are aware that after the Tea Party took over, self-identification among Republicans has fallen significantly while their vote share has stayed relatively flat, right? The vast bulk of self-identification 'Independents' are just embarrassed Republicans.

I know a lot of people that vote republican but won't identify as republican because of the regressive social stances. They really just want a party that aligns with their economic views and the republicans are the closest for that so they vote despite the racism, homophobia, etc.

Contemptible, if true.

Neither party is going to represent all your views, so you have to choose what is most important to you. I don't think it is contemptible to prioritize economic issues.

At the expense of embracing homophobia and racism? Yeah, it 100% is.

Would you say that by voting for the Dems you embrace every one of their stances? Political choice is a hammer, not a scalpel, in America.

Well, in this case, you can have it both ways, because the Democrats are also who you should be voting for to prioritize economic issues unless your last name is Walton or Koch.

That's absurd. There are plenty of reasons to prefer the Republican economic model of less regulation, lower taxes and more business subsidies.

Is it just the "less regulations" piece? Because otherwise you just rattled off the Democratic economic model.

Democratic Party is not in favor of tax cuts for business to the extent GOP is, and are in favor of higher individual rates. GOP is generally more inclined to hand money to established businesses too. These are not necessarily good policy positions, but I know plenty of people that support the GOP because it's good for (their) business.

Personally, I benefit from regulation (regulations = need more legal services) but most of my clients vote Republican I'm sure, purely for economic reasons.

And this is, as I said at the start of this conversation, utterly contemptible because it means they are voting for a party or racism and bigotry because it benefits their take-home.

You are allowed to hold different priorities without being contemptible. I think it is totally reasonable to say "I don't think the government should be involved in regulating what consenting adults do in the bedroom, but economic policy is the most important issue to me and that is how I vote." if you have to agree with and endorse every position of the person you vote for, no one could ever vote.

People are absolutely allowed to prioritize what they want.

And other people are allowed to judge them for those priorities.

And I personally have little trouble saying that a person who values making money over all else is not only incredibly selfish but remarkably short sighted.

The flip side is that who you vote for probably won't impact a lot of social issues much. They tend to talk about them more than act on them. But who you vote for probably does have a direct and meaningful impact on your personal finances. In the IRA investment manager context I brought up, whether a Dem or Republican wins will literally determine if these people have a job or not. That is a much greater impact than almost anything else that someone may do in office.

I really don't see how making them act as fiduciaries eliminates their jobs unless they are currently acting in ways that are...questionable ethically. Which, given the reasons for the proposed rules change, is probably likely. I mean, fiduciary requirements are not new, and its not as though people currently acting in those capacities are all volunteers who help people with their finances in between the soup kitchen and tutoring.

What they are doing is taking people who currently reccomended alternative investments to IRAs in a non fiduciary salesman capacity and turning those people into fiduciaries. They are also prohibiting fiduciaries to IRAs from getting paid in connection with reccomending alternative investments, even if they are in the best interest of the IRA. It literally makes it impossible to be in the business of facilitating IRA investment in alternative investments. If that was your job, you won't have a job anymore.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    @spacekungfuman ,

The 2008 crash was the result not of just W's time in office, but an unbroken string of neoliberal anti-regulation economic policy kicked off by Reagan and happily continued by Clinton. We do tend to characterize that as "Republican" economic policy but to be fair the centrist Democratic bloc is virtually indistinguishable on this issue at this point.

Which is part of why I don't have a great deal of faith in Hillary Clinton to make substantial progress on this front. Campaign statements aside, this is her power base. She owes too much to entrenched plutocratic interests to fight unencumbered. I certainly expect she'll be better than whoever the GOP puts up, but she's not my preferred representative.

all of which is true, but it's still important to note that one of the parties is all for committing to the same ideas even harder and one of them is at least in large part like "hey maybe let's reconsider this"

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    @spacekungfuman ,

I don't think republican economic policy is better. I don't think dem policy is that great either though. Neither favors high tax rates or tighter regulatory control over industries, both of which I think we need. To be honest, the only real difference between the parties if if a few points should be chopped off the already historically low top rate bracket.

But people who believe in the free market obviously have reason to prefer the Republicans, because they favor less regulation than the very weak regulations that the Dems push.

• Options
    dingdingdingdingding!

What is the opportunity cost of trying to determine what this non-participant group wants, a group that may not be (and likely isn't) uniform in its composition?

It'd be nice, if you know, this group of "voters" (hahahahahahahaha) actually contributed in some way to clarify what it was their desires were.

You are aware that after the Tea Party took over, self-identification among Republicans has fallen significantly while their vote share has stayed relatively flat, right? The vast bulk of self-identification 'Independents' are just embarrassed Republicans.

I know a lot of people that vote republican but won't identify as republican because of the regressive social stances. They really just want a party that aligns with their economic views and the republicans are the closest for that so they vote despite the racism, homophobia, etc.

Contemptible, if true.

Neither party is going to represent all your views, so you have to choose what is most important to you. I don't think it is contemptible to prioritize economic issues.

Would you say that by voting for the Dems you embrace every one of their stances? Political choice is a hammer, not a scalpel, in America.

Well, in this case, you can have it both ways, because the Democrats are also who you should be voting for to prioritize economic issues unless your last name is Walton or Koch.

That's absurd. There are plenty of reasons to prefer the Republican economic model of less regulation, lower taxes and more business subsidies.

Is it just the "less regulations" piece? Because otherwise you just rattled off the Democratic economic model.

Democratic Party is not in favor of tax cuts for business to the extent GOP is, and are in favor of higher individual rates. GOP is generally more inclined to hand money to established businesses too. These are not necessarily good policy positions, but I know plenty of people that support the GOP because it's good for (their) business.

Personally, I benefit from regulation (regulations = need more legal services) but most of my clients vote Republican I'm sure, purely for economic reasons.

And this is, as I said at the start of this conversation, utterly contemptible because it means they are voting for a party or racism and bigotry because it benefits their take-home.

You are allowed to hold different priorities without being contemptible. I think it is totally reasonable to say "I don't think the government should be involved in regulating what consenting adults do in the bedroom, but economic policy is the most important issue to me and that is how I vote." if you have to agree with and endorse every position of the person you vote for, no one could ever vote.

And I personally have little trouble saying that a person who values making money over all else is not only incredibly selfish but remarkably short sighted.

The flip side is that who you vote for probably won't impact a lot of social issues much. They tend to talk about them more than act on them. But who you vote for probably does have a direct and meaningful impact on your personal finances. In the IRA investment manager context I brought up, whether a Dem or Republican wins will literally determine if these people have a job or not. That is a much greater impact than almost anything else that someone may do in office.

I really don't see how making them act as fiduciaries eliminates their jobs unless they are currently acting in ways that are...questionable ethically. Which, given the reasons for the proposed rules change, is probably likely. I mean, fiduciary requirements are not new, and its not as though people currently acting in those capacities are all volunteers who help people with their finances in between the soup kitchen and tutoring.

What they are doing is taking people who currently recommended alternative investments to IRAs in a non fiduciary salesman capacity and turning those people into fiduciaries. They are also prohibiting fiduciaries to IRAs from getting paid in connection with recommending alternative investments, even if they are in the best interest of the IRA. It literally makes it impossible to be in the business of facilitating IRA investment in alternative investments. If that was your job, you won't have a job anymore.

No, it doesn't. It just makes it impossible for their job to be paid by commission. And you know what? Most other salespeople aren't paid on commission! They just earn a salary instead! For doing their job which continues to exist! Which typically works better from both a customer service standpoint, as far as businesses are concerned, as well as from an ethical/incentive standpoint. If the billable hour were suddenly made illegal would you be fired from your job, start bartering your services for chickens, or would you earn base pay + a set percentage of profit sharing rather than one based on billable time? I'm going to guess the last one.

• Options
    dingdingdingdingding!

Contemptible, if true.

What they are doing is taking people who currently recommended alternative investments to IRAs in a non fiduciary salesman capacity and turning those people into fiduciaries. They are also prohibiting fiduciaries to IRAs from getting paid in connection with recommending alternative investments, even if they are in the best interest of the IRA. It literally makes it impossible to be in the business of facilitating IRA investment in alternative investments. If that was your job, you won't have a job anymore.

No, it doesn't. It just makes it impossible for their job to be paid by commission. And you know what? Most other salespeople aren't paid on commission! They just earn a salary instead! For doing their job which continues to exist! Which typically works better from both a customer service standpoint, as far as businesses are concerned, as well as from an ethical/incentive standpoint. If the billable hour were suddenly made illegal would you be fired from your job, start bartering your services for chickens, or would you earn base pay + a set percentage of profit sharing rather than one based on billable time? I'm going to guess the last one.

It bans all compensation for the service of recommending alternative investments to IRAs. That means no companies will recommend alternative investments to IRAs, so they will fire the people who did that work.

• Options
    SKFM if companies are going to stop recommending alternative investments to IRA because they don't get paid extra for recommending such a course of action, then maybe that's because that's a shit recommendation to begin with.

Because if it was the right thing for the client to do, then regardless of the lack of compensation, companies will still recommend it to the client.

• Options
    SKFM if companies are going to stop recommending alternative investments to IRA because they don't get paid extra for recommending such a course of action, then maybe that's because that's a shit recommendation to begin with.

Because if it was the right thing for the client to do, then regardless of the lack of compensation, companies will still recommend it to the client.

What? Why would an investment manager give advice for free? To be clear, the people I am talking about are explicitly in the business of identifying, reccomending and facilitating investments in alternative assets. It isn't that a normal IRA manager just offers these as part of a portfolio. This is a seperate manager who is just making these types of investments possible.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular

What? Why would an investment manager give advice for free? To be clear, the people I am talking about are explicitly in the business of identifying, reccomending and facilitating investments in alternative assets. It isn't that a normal IRA manager just offers these as part of a portfolio. This is a seperate manager who is just making these types of investments possible.

Would those alternative assets include things like mortgage backed securities and credit default swaps by any chance?

• Options

I never said they'd do it for free, because if it's their job, then they get paid their salary/wage.

There is no one-size-fits-all investment strategy, but as the system currently goes, investment managers are encouraged to steer their clients towards whatever investment strategy makes them the biggest commission, rather than what's best for their client's financial future.

But sure, keep trying to sell me on how great variable annuities are.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    spacekungfuman ,

I don't think republican economic policy is better. I don't think dem policy is that great either though. Neither favors high tax rates or tighter regulatory control over industries, both of which I think we need. To be honest, the only real difference between the parties if if a few points should be chopped off the already historically low top rate bracket.

But people who believe in the free market obviously have reason to prefer the Republicans, because they favor less regulation than the very weak regulations that the Dems push.

So we need tighter regulatory control over industries. But the government shouldn't regulate how financial managers are compensated. Okee.

edit: because it sounds like you're saying "More regulation! Except for my industry!" which is, uh, yeah.

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    dingdingdingdingding!

Contemptible, if true.

It bans all compensation for the service of recommending alternative investments to IRAs. That means no companies will recommend alternative investments to IRAs, so they will fire the people who did that work.

No, it bans specific forms of compensation. Unless you are literally telling me that current fiduciaries earn $0 for their work. Because I'm pretty sure that isn't the case. Otherwise how would NAPFA pay its rent?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    The lessen from Glengarry, Glen, Fucking, & Ross should not have been that you should act like Alec Baldwin.

moniker on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The lessen from Glengarry, Glen, Fucking, & Ross should not have been that you should act like Alec Baldwin.

I've used the phrase "It's fuck or walk" before. It's a great phrase.

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

I sure can

where are these people when the party whines about affirmative action

where were they when the supreme court struck down the voting rights act

if these people are bothered by racism, it's obviously not enough to say anything or do anything, which means they are a negative value in that struggle

I mean, it happens. You occasionally hear Republicans complaining about the regressive social stuff. Mostly voters, activists, and pundits, though, rather than politicians - and yeah, not as many as you'd hope.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

Personally, I thought the FEMA run protestant gulags were a bit much.

I support my local NEW WORLD ORDER.

Do you?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

Because if we expanded social programs, a lot of people believe the benefits would go to black people, not working class white people.

I mean pretty it up all you want, ultimately that's the reason this country does not have class consciousness the way Europe does.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

Because if we expanded social programs, a lot of people believe the benefits would go to black people, not working class white people.

I mean pretty it up all you want, ultimately that's the reason this country does not have class consciousness the way Europe does.

It's kind of a shock when you realize that white Americans had no problem with big government as long as it was only big for white people.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Which is insane to me. I can't imagine being so bigoted against some people I would rather not have something than let them have it. But maybe I'm just selfish like that, I'd rather have stuff that benefits me than make sure no one gets anything.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    dingdingdingdingding!

Contemptible, if true.

No, it bans specific forms of compensation. Unless you are literally telling me that current fiduciaries earn $0 for their work. Because I'm pretty sure that isn't the case. Otherwise how would NAPFA pay its rent?

Current fiduciaries are paid for their work, including reccomendations of alternatives because there is no prohibition on paying them. This rule is prohibiting paying for that service, even if you can demonstrate that the investment is in the best interest of the plan. Under this rule, fiduciaries cannot be paid for anything related to alternatives (by the IRA or the investment). It is a major change and the industry is pushing back hard because it will literally cost a lot of people their jobs. Whole companies will shut down.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Which is insane to me. I can't imagine being so bigoted against some people I would rather not have something than let them have it. But maybe I'm just selfish like that, I'd rather have stuff that benefits me than make sure no one gets anything.

That's not the process. The process is first you assume all the goodies are going to other people who are worse off than you. Then you oppose the goodies.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
This discussion has been closed.