As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ryan Davis Memorial Giant Bomb Thread

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    He's also not a god damned robot geth.

No I don't.
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I think you'd be safer to say that 'let's plays' are almost more based upon an idea that Giant Bomb started at this point (and have now expanded to just be entire game runs)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Something Awful forums was doing Let's Plays long before Giant Bomb

That's even where the term originated, pretty sure

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The first video Let's Play was at Something Awful, Slowbeef's Super Metroid playthrough.

Giant Bomb did popularize the Quick Look format for video game coverage though. It kind of came about as an alternative to the video reviews that Gamespot used to run, which were a lot more scripted.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Let's Plays were originally done in writing and image form before they were done in video form.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    a got through a lot of college with the SA lp archive

the dark id's resident evil lps stand out especially

i still visit the archive occasionally. screenshot lps have a real special place in my heart when they're done well.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Uh, Let's Plays started when I sent tapes of Sonic and Knuckles footage to my cousins and used Game Genie code screens to display text commentary.

You're welcome

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    Uh, Let's Plays started when I sent tapes of Sonic and Knuckles footage to my cousins and used Game Genie code screens to display text commentary.

You're welcome

comic.php?date=07052007

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Aesthetic is literally the simplest way to say what aesthetic means. It's not like he's saying 'masticate' instead of 'chew'.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    When I eat at taco Bell I can get the chicken quesadilla and that will be more than enough. Dan ate one of those AND like five other fairly major menu items.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Sometimes people latch on to words without realizing it.

My supervisor says "Quote Unquote" in practically every other sentence that comes out of his mouth. It's goddamn annoying, but in the grand scheme of things it's not worth getting upset over. I just chuckle to myself and go on with my day.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Why do Vinny and crew think that the female character in Castlevania 3 is a dude?

I think the manual says it's a dude

I thought they had found out that the character was called male in the NA manual because of mistranslation?

They did. In yesterday's VinnyVania, Austin sort of addressed this by saying that apparently in the canon, Sypha is a lady, but the instructions say he's a dude, so they're sticking with that. And then he acknowledged that in the ending, it reveals that Sypha is a lady.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    A lot of people became Giant Bomb fans because of a Let's Play of Persona 4.

I wouldn't expect Giant Bomb to come down hard on criticizing them.

As an actual LP'er myself, it takes a lot of work. My channel is super small time. Not even close to anywhere where I could make money off of it. And I don't expect to ever get there. But it's hard work. I do minimal editing and have low production values and it still takes up enough time to basically be a part time job. Luckily, I have fun doing it.

I think about how much more work than I do must go into operations like Pewds, the Grumps, the Best Friends, etc. and there's no way it doesn't take a LOT of effort. So if they can channel that effort into actual financial success and security? Good for them.

Of course, if you're the type that thinks LP's are morally wrong/shouldn't be something you can profit off, well then we're just going to be on completely opposite wavelengths anyway.

• Options
    Honestly, I like the fact that someone can produce content on their own and have a venue through which they can generate income for themselves.

I'd much rather see financial success go directly to the content-maker than what happens with reality TV. They pay these "everyday people" chump change, make a mediocre show and make tons of ad revenue that the people in the damn show never see.

PewDiePie is an anomaly kind of like World of Warcraft. Actually, all of the current Top 10 subscribed Youtube channels are, once you drop the VEVO channels.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Let's Plays are performance.

If you're watching PewDiePie or the GB guys play a game it's probably because you enjoy what they're adding to the experience, not necessarily for the game itself.

Watching GB's Endurance Runs hasn't stopped me from playing Persona 4 or Deadly Premonition.

In fact, I might never have played Deadly Premonition if wasn't for those ERs.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Personally, I watch LPs because I want to see how the person reacts to the game.

I actually tend to watch LPs of games I've already played the most, because I'll be like "oh man, when x thing happens how will they react?"

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    The only Let's Plays I watch regularly are the Achievement Hunter guys. They make me sad that my close friends don't play video games, because they make multiplayer in just about anything seem like a ton of fun.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I like to fire up Game Grumps every now and then to listen to the guys shoot the bull. The only times I watch it for the game is when the game is insane/broken, and even then that in turn makes their reactions and conversations hilarious (Sonic Boom).

I think the only games LPs could spoil are adventure games and I don't watch LPs of those unless I have zero interest of ever playing them myself.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    Let's Plays are performance.

If you're watching PewDiePie or the GB guys play a game it's probably because you enjoy what they're adding to the experience, not necessarily for the game itself.

Watching GB's Endurance Runs hasn't stopped me from playing Persona 4 or Deadly Premonition.

In fact, I might never have played Deadly Premonition if wasn't for those ERs.

Totes. I watch Quick Looks because I get, well, a 'Quick Look' from some very engaging and funny people. Not usually because it's a game I'm interested in. And I've bought games based off those quick looks.

It's actually quite rare for them to pass judgement on a game during a QL. I watch it alongside a review and it's a wonderful way of considering whether or not you'd like to buy a game.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Ugh, this latest Danswers. A section on money comes up, and Dan's response to it and people trying hard looking for jobs/in financial difficulties... just ugh. Such a strangely cold and unempathetic side to the guy.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    I haven't listened to it yet, but Dan has always had a weird thing about not being able to see how lucky he's been. Yeah he worked hard and that was a big part of it, but many people work hard and don't nearly have the same amount of success he has.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    3 MINUTES TO SCANLON

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    that's always the worst part of danswers because Danny is bad about it too

Their answer to anything job or money related essentially boils down to "hard work"

which, well, yes, but that's pretty useless damn advice for people who have other issues that need addressing

• Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Neither of them have any business giving life advice to anyone, unless it's meant to be a joke or something. They should stick to just interviewing people if they want another podcast to promote themselves with.

Butcher on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I don't know, I've found Dan's stuff on Anxiety extremely useful.

No I don't.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I am impressed how quickly they are getting through the metal gear games.

I haven't beat any.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

I haven't beat any.
    they are bad games that control bad so why would you when you can instead watch somebody else suffer

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    just got my giantbomb tee that they were advertising during the e3 streams. Kind of disappointed to find out that it apparently changed from the black on grey logo they were showing off during the presales to a red on grey logo. Still a nice logo, but louder than what I was expecting to get

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular

Their answer to anything job or money related essentially boils down to "hard work"

which, well, yes, but that's pretty useless damn advice for people who have other issues that need addressing

it was so very very refreshing hearing Alex and Austin talk during last weeks Beastcast about the challenges in finding niche industry jobs, with real person issues that Dan/Danny would never even think about like "the right intonation in the way they speak with people because they didn't go through the exact same educational experiences" and other intangibles

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I feel like Danswers could be replaced with a button that says "Communicate more" and 90% of the good advice they give would be covered.

• Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    A lot of people became Giant Bomb fans because of a Let's Play of Persona 4.

Which was free, they now charge a subscription for that kind of content. Which I guess is working because they are still doing it, but it still sucks that they lock so much behind the paywall now.

The endurance run of Deadly Premonition is what did it for me. After my son was born I was waking up on a daily basis around 4 am to feed him after going to bed at midnight or so. Exhausted from life I watched through the whole thing as him and I sat on the couch, him with a bottle, me with coffee. Turned me into a huge Swery fan and kept my sanity during those early months of new life.

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »

I haven't beat any.
    they are bad games that control bad so why would you when you can instead watch somebody else suffer

nah

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

We seem to have this conversation any time a Danswers goes up.

Of course, mileage with the advice is going to vary. That being said, I still think "hard work" is the best advice. What other issues are you referring to?

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I feel like Danswers could be replaced with a button that says "Communicate more" and 90% of the good advice they give would be covered.

This is literally all advice talk shows. People still love them. A good portion(not all) of our H/A forum looks like this. The other 10% of course is "of course you need to go see a doctor for this". Some people are also just reaching out/listening to be told "It's okay, its natural to feel this way/have this situation happen" in an environment that wont lead to embarrassment, like bringing it up with your friends/loved ones. So they do serve a powerful purpose in that light. As long as they aren't enabling...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular

To be fair this is the perfect answer to most questions asked in a life advice podcast

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I thought Dan's talk about stocks was pretty interesting. I'm still not going to start playing the market, but his method (which seems to be working out for him) would have never ever occurred to me.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dan and Danny's financial/job advice is ok for single people living in moderately dense population areas.

If your work experience is in a field that has few opportunities in the area you live in, and you have a family you also have to look after, doing things like starting from scratch in something new or picking up and moving across country become increasingly difficult to do.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Dan and Danny's financial/job advice is ok for single people living in moderately dense population areas.

If your work experience is in a field that has few opportunities in the area you live in, and you have a family you also have to look after, doing things like starting from scratch in something new or picking up and moving across country become increasingly difficult to do.

You're describing my situation to a tee (minus children).

Targeted advice isn't really meant to be broadly applicable. These things work by giving specific advice for a specific question. From there it's up to the listener to contextualize that advice for their own reality.

You guys are putting too much stock in an advice column from a video game website.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    I think the issue was with him, in the course of giving his opinion, saying something to the effect of her needing to get serious about finding a job. As if the only reason she, or anyone, is unemployed is because they are slacking off and aren't trying hard enough. It's a shitty thing to say to a person in an already rough situation because it puts the entirety of the blame on their shoulders and assumes she's not already trying to find work. As if she's a moron who didn't realize she needed to find work or is a terrible person deliberately leeching off the goodwill of her significant other.

I know I'm reading a lot into just a few sentences, but our society's inclination to blame the unemployed/underemployed for their own situations is one if the worst aspects of our culture.

At least he didn't drop the "bootstraps" bomb, like I think happened during an earlier episode.

Aistan on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    just got my giantbomb tee that they were advertising during the e3 streams. Kind of disappointed to find out that it apparently changed from the black on grey logo they were showing off during the presales to a red on grey logo. Still a nice logo, but louder than what I was expecting to get

Hmm, those shirts aren't even available on the store page anymore. Are you sure it wasn't some sort of printing error?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
This discussion has been closed.