Options

[Chat] off Samar

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    On the one hand, people on tumblr say hurtful things that I don't agree with

On the other hand, there is a systemic dismantling of women's healthcare access and biological self determination occurring in many states

But I for one am glad that we are paying more attention to the highly relevant people on tumblr who must wield incredible political power for us to be do concerned about what they're tweeting about

Also they say privilege a lot and that makes me feel bad

Given that most of what people call SJW on tumblr tend to talk about trivial things and make little actual change this seems unintentionally ironic.

Like do you think Elizabeth Warren has spent 5 seconds contemplating what Daniel Tosh said during a standup act?

the point is that social justice is incredibly necessary and people complaining about tumblr echo chambers, and the echo chambers themselves, are often missing the point: there are real, tangible, large-scale issues that are very important and need to be addressed

Then perhaps people on tumblr (and more importantly, jezebel or polygon) shouldn't waste time complaining about issues that are unimportant?

I don't think that's the problem. the complainers about the trivial, and the complainers about the complainers, can spiral into obscurity and frustration as much as they want

the problem is that people say "let's fix this real, major social women's issue" and the response is, somehow, "but someone on tumblr said something that made me feel bad!", a total non-sequitur that derails the conversation into that spiral rather than an actual discussion of the issue

I don't think its a non sequitur. I think that it behooves a social movement to enforce discipline in the ranks. Issue fatigue has a real negative impact on important issues. Its a major problem with third wave feminism, I think.
    I don't think you meant to present it this way, but I think that this comment makes it sound like "those uppity (insert oppressed minority) need to tell their followers to toe the line."

I used to joke when people talk about Asians like we are some sort of big monolithic group that "I'll be sure to mention that at the next big meeting". :-P

I also feel that the "issue fatigue" of the ones with the power is overshadowed by the "oppression fatigue" of those without power. You have the choice to disengage and to not talk about it (whether or not you do is your own prerogative). If you don't have power, and you are being oppressed, you have no choice. "Why don't you just act more white?" Something like that.

This is correct as a point of fairness, but not really as a strategic matter. The bolded may be very good advice to an oppressed minority trying to convince the majority to change the status quo, as a strategic matter.

I think part of the point is that people shouldn't need elaborate strategy to be accepted by society. It's not really their job to conform to make themselves societally acceptable, it's society's job to stop measuring everyone in degrees of whiteness.

Understood, but following that as a strategy is basically conceding.

talking about the strategy a group should pursue to achieve equality has no chance of a positive outcome and a high chance of being conflated with a discussion about what they deserve

you're not wrong but the words you're using are a strategically poor collection of words to use given any reasonable goal

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Oyster Cards are the shit. I promise you this: if you do not get an oyster card and put an appropriate amount of money on it for your stay in London (I think it's like 2.80 per stop in zone 1), everyone will hate you with rage unbound as you fumble to put your ticket in the goddamn thing that only works half the time. Oyster card is the #1 way to make Londoners sigh less.

This is me. I end up doing this because when work sends me to London I get a rail ticket to Euston+Zone 1.

You have to treat the paper ticket like priceless papyrus to avoid annoying the reader.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Ffs hospital is lolly gagging on letting us know if ladyroar is being discharged to day or not baby is good to go but ladyroar a had elevated blood pressure

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    few people go like "man I am out of shits to give". Honest, at least.

every morning I wake up with a small number of shits to give about work stuff

and that storehouse is depleted by like, 8:15am

I feel like my job should be better about rationing this precious resource

If we work hard, together, we can make sure that you wake up giving absolutely no shits

I've recently been introduced to the concept of CYA: Cover Your Ass.

I've also recently come to terms with the fact that I am the #1 target in the company with whom others like to CYA. On Monday, I walked in to find no fewer than four emails cc-ing the entire executive team attempting to call me out for messing shit up. CYA in action. Guess what you geese, I will dish it right back.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Ffs hospital is lolly gagging on letting us know if ladyroar is being discharged to day or not baby is good to go but ladyroar a had elevated blood pressure

shark the hospital

sig.gif
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Hit the Call Nurse button.

Hit it again.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »
    headdesk.gif.gif

Her bangs make her look like a Cthulhu

A Cute-thulhu.

<--

Delmain on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

If we work hard, together, we can make sure that you wake up giving absolutely no shits

I've also recently come to terms with the fact that I am the #1 target in the company with whom others like to CYA. On Monday, I walked in to find no fewer than four emails cc-ing the entire executive team attempting to call me out for messing shit up. CYA in action. Guess what you geese, I will dish it right back.

Always CYA at work.

I have to do that all the time at work right now.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

You shall become the bus driver

under which the deserving and undeserving are alike thrown

Psn:wazukki
  • Options

that sucks

brofist

sig.gif
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

On the other hand, there is a systemic dismantling of women's healthcare access and biological self determination occurring in many states

But I for one am glad that we are paying more attention to the highly relevant people on tumblr who must wield incredible political power for us to be do concerned about what they're tweeting about

Given that most of what people call SJW on tumblr tend to talk about trivial things and make little actual change this seems unintentionally ironic.

Like do you think Elizabeth Warren has spent 5 seconds contemplating what Daniel Tosh said during a standup act?

the point is that social justice is incredibly necessary and people complaining about tumblr echo chambers, and the echo chambers themselves, are often missing the point: there are real, tangible, large-scale issues that are very important and need to be addressed

Then perhaps people on tumblr (and more importantly, jezebel or polygon) shouldn't waste time complaining about issues that are unimportant?

I don't think that's the problem. the complainers about the trivial, and the complainers about the complainers, can spiral into obscurity and frustration as much as they want

the problem is that people say "let's fix this real, major social women's issue" and the response is, somehow, "but someone on tumblr said something that made me feel bad!", a total non-sequitur that derails the conversation into that spiral rather than an actual discussion of the issue

I don't think its a non sequitur. I think that it behooves a social movement to enforce discipline in the ranks. Issue fatigue has a real negative impact on important issues. Its a major problem with third wave feminism, I think.
    I don't think you meant to present it this way, but I think that this comment makes it sound like "those uppity (insert oppressed minority) need to tell their followers to toe the line."

I used to joke when people talk about Asians like we are some sort of big monolithic group that "I'll be sure to mention that at the next big meeting". :-P

I also feel that the "issue fatigue" of the ones with the power is overshadowed by the "oppression fatigue" of those without power. You have the choice to disengage and to not talk about it (whether or not you do is your own prerogative). If you don't have power, and you are being oppressed, you have no choice. "Why don't you just act more white?" Something like that.

This is correct as a point of fairness, but not really as a strategic matter. The bolded may be very good advice to an oppressed minority trying to convince the majority to change the status quo, as a strategic matter.

I think part of the point is that people shouldn't need elaborate strategy to be accepted by society. It's not really their job to conform to make themselves societally acceptable, it's society's job to stop measuring everyone in degrees of whiteness.

talking about the strategy a group should pursue to achieve equality has no chance of a positive outcome and a high chance of being conflated with a discussion about what they deserve

you're not wrong but the words you're using are a strategically poor collection of words to use given any reasonable goal

A discussion about what they deserve feels pretty pointless since nobody disagrees

we all want the same thing, how to bring it about is a more interesting topic

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Baker Street is the only station on the London Underground network where you can change from the pink line (Hammersmith & City)to the brown one (Bakerloo). Go figure it out.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

Hit the Call Nurse button.

Hit it again.

Truthfully just sounds like the Dr in charge is just backed up its not malicious thankfully

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Always CYA at work.

I have to do that all the time at work right now.

Yeah, I'm the only person on my team that understands this, so my team is constantly under a barrage of shit because people see our team name like, somewhere in an error log and immediately go "Oh, it's them" except we are literally in every transaction at my company.

The rest of my team just always goes "oh, we'll look into it" instead of like, "we're investigating to see if <Team Name> is involved at all" or even "did <other team> track the error back to <my team>?"

• Options

A discussion about what they deserve feels pretty pointless since nobody disagrees

we all want the same thing, how to bring it about is a more interesting topic

naw

we see every day chat as a whole is unwilling to assume everybody is being nice about equality and nobody disagrees

it's like that board game diplomacy, humanity is insufficiently advanced to do this thing

sig.gif
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    fuck up some commas

fuck up some commas yea

poo
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Like, I absolutely threw some clinical staff under the bus for preventing me from getting an Operating Room ready to function because "A doctor wouldn't like it" if they saw me working in that area (not violating any rules, following the ICRA, etc). But I have to go back to my boss and tell him I got thrown out, and he has to go to the guy that called us in to fix it and tell them why it isn't fixed yet.

The hospital had to bay me and another guy another 16 hours worth of work each to wait around for them to let me us back in (they ultimately never did) and then come back the next day to actually fix the issue.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    40 thou to a hunned thou

hunned thou another hunnid hou

300 thou to 500 thous

a million dollas les have a money shower

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options

You shall become the bus driver

under which the deserving and undeserving are alike thrown

I do have to say, it is so goddamn satisfying to be like "actually, this is absolutely your fault, CYA lady!" but in more professional terms. She's coming in to visit our office next week. I'm already practicing my bitch face.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    40 thou to a hunned thou

hunned thou another hunnid hou

300 thou to 500 thous

a million les have a money shower

DIAMONDS IN MY ROLLIE FACE CANNOT BE EXFOLIATED

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Rush Limbaugh is talking about 4 Americans currently being held by Iran - I remember Iran had those three hikers who wandered over the border and Iran held them for ransom charged them with spying. They let the woman go so that's two left. Who are the other two Americans?

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/iran-nuclear-talks/these-are-four-americans-iran-trump-wants-freed-n391986

Oh. Iran released all 3 hikers years ago. Whoops.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    I'm already practicing my bitch face.

Resting or kinetic?

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Like, I absolutely threw some clinical staff under the bus for preventing me from getting an Operating Room ready to function because "A doctor wouldn't like it" if they saw me working in that area (not violating any rules, following the ICRA, etc). But I have to go back to my boss and tell him I got thrown out, and he has to go to the guy that called us in to fix it and tell them why it isn't fixed yet.

The hospital had to bay me and another guy another 16 hours worth of work each to wait around for them to let me us back in (they ultimately never did) and then come back the next day to actually fix the issue.

Sometimes stuff like this happens and it's not especially anyones fault, just collisions between the expectations of different peoples bosses as they collide through underling proxies.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

But the topic at hand was bringing up tumbler feminism when real issues get raised. It is fine to say it should not be done because it is unfair, but as long as the tumbler feminists do it and are part of feminism, I think it is a valid response to say "x issue seems important, but feminists seem upset about issues all the time so it is fatiguing." And it isn't just tumbler. It's Jezebel and similiar sites too

• Options
    Rush Limbaugh is talking about 4 Americans currently being held by Iran - I remember Iran had those three hikers who wandered over the border and Iran held them for ransom charged them with spying. They let the woman go so that's two left. Who are the other two Americans?

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/iran-nuclear-talks/these-are-four-americans-iran-trump-wants-freed-n391986

Yeah I remember having a very victim-blamey thought on that when that happened.

Maybe don't go hiking near the Iranian border, geniuses.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

But the topic at hand was bringing up tumbler feminism when real issues get raised. It is fine to say it should not be done because it is unfair, but as long as the tumbler feminists do it and are part of feminism, I think it is a valid response to say "x issue seems important, but feminists seem upset about issues all the time so it is fatiguing." And it isn't just tumbler. It's Jezebel and similiar sites too
    I wasn't aware that you were a regular reader of Tumblr and Jezebel, skfm. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

Resting or kinetic?

Kinetic. Resting is a bit difficult for me to convey, I feel. This is why strangers always ask me for directions on the street. I look damn nonthreatening.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i am five mins into Bojack S2 and I remembered why i love this show

• Options

They crossed over, didn't they?

I'm not really sure it counts as victim blaming to be like "what did you expect?" when somebody gets arrested for breaking a reasonable law

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

shark the hospital
    to "shark" is an actual form of sexual assault and should not be performed in hospitals or probably, at all.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

I'm not really sure it counts as victim blaming to be like "what did you expect?" when somebody gets arrested for breaking a reasonable law

I always just assumed they really were spies

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Speaking of rap I am still waiting for this to blow up

http://youtu.be/pZgahk3OLWU

Oh my

Oh
    My
    Goodness

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular

Resting or kinetic?

Kinetic. Resting is a bit difficult for me to convey, I feel. This is why strangers always ask me for directions on the street. I look damn nonthreatening.

Might I suggest adding some Cthulhu bangs when outside?

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

shark the hospital
    to "shark" is an actual form of sexual assault and should not be performed in hospitals or probably, at all.

woah woah woah woah

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    I mean not that I was entirely without sympathy but like

yeah

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

"Part of feminism" is meaningless and "xyz people who say dumb shit have poor strategy" may be true but is absolutely not a valid response to "ABC people said good, righteous stuff"

sig.gif
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

I always just assumed they really were spies
    They wrote a book about it called "A Sliver of Light". Also, two of them got married.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I mean not that I was entirely without sympathy but like

yeah

Yeah don't get me wrong, it was bad and I was hoping they get returned safely.

But if you go dancing down the freeway you just might get hit by a car.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    ok b o i s lets wrap this up

a) one love
    b) one life
    c) lets get together and feel alright

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    It was either Greece or Turkey that held a few British plane-spotters on espionage charges and couldn't get their heads round the idea that there are British people that hang around airports noting down tail numbers for fun.

This discussion has been closed.