As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] Discussion Round 3 - Fight!

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So, SF5 is literally using the MOBA/Leage of Legends style of character buying and skin/costume buying.

I'm okay with this.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Be okay with that until 12 characters later when it costs $60 bucks or 120 hours of play time to set up a tournament console, or you're not really interested in playing the newly released character, but you have to spend the money or time anyway so that you can learn how to punish them in practice mode.

Which is nearing a worst case scenario, but the system as described is so vague that it could go either way. If they do what some of the more modern f2p games do and allow every character in practice mode, or for offline play, and you only have to buy them to play online, that would be great.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Dota has a good system. Every character available out-the-box, no bullshit, then pay $Texas for metric tons of cosmetic nonsense.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Smash is so fucking boring. Every match takes a boring eternity. They need to drop to 2 stock or something.

Edit: Doing it entirely off stream would be a good option too.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I hope that the unlocking costs aren't as rapacious as, say, the ones in HotS, in both terms of play hours and in terms of money. The sheer quantity of elements in a well-made fighting game character so vastly exceeds that of the average MOBA character that they deserve to cost more, but it could easily kill the market.

I think it'll be wonderfully ironic when the cost of buying a clutch of new characters adds up to exactly what Blazblue charges in each new version, without nearly as much story content. This is probably the most derided thing about the Blazblue series, but once the economic reality hits with such a mainstream title, hopefully spending expectations change to make Blazblue and other such serieses more palatable to consumers price-wise. And that's coming from someone who doesn't even play Blazblue!

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    BlazBlue is also 50% Visual Novel with a in-depth and continuing story mode that some fans (like me) enjoy and each entry adds to that.

• Options
    8 minutes of lasers and hanging on a ledge, pull the plug.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    oh god please eliminate hungrybox out early for the love of everything

• Options
    I can't wait until the winners get Golden Fightsticks and are like 'what is this paperweight'.

• Options
    Holy crap I missed the bulk of GG Xrd because I'm a fuckin scrub, but I finally saw the clip of Woshige vs Ogawa.

o... m.... g.......

• Options
    As someone who only played smash long enough to realize that I hate the controls, the supposed randomness of the percentage system is baffling to me. How do they not know if a character of X% getting hit by Y move at the centre of the stage will actually result in a kill. It can't be that way, but it always seems like a guess to the commentators.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Smash is just so boring. I'm watching Excellent adventures waiting for this torture to end.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    I'm gonna watch it later. Gonna grab lunch instead.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited July 2015
    I think the issue is that, ironically, the game is too technical. Smash players love to brag about how hard the game is to play at high levels, which is great for them, but what that translates to on screen is a whole lot of flailing and poking. To quote those modern esports philosophers, Los Campesinos!, "I think we need more post-coital/and less post-rock/Feels like the build-up takes forever/but you never get me off." Aside from the occasional edge-guarding chase off screen, nothing overtly interesting or exciting ever happens.

Plus, the games do take forever.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Smash is so fucking boring. Every match takes a boring eternity. They need to drop to 2 stock or something.

I was just going to post this.

I've never played Smash. I've never watched Smash until now. Best I can tell, the only thing that matters are ringouts. Which makes the bulk of the gibberish happening on screen flashy but meaningless. Bushido Blade would be more fun to watch than this.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Nightslyr wrote: »

I was just going to post this.

I've never played Smash. I've never watched Smash until now. Best I can tell, the only thing that matters are ringouts. Which makes the bulk of the gibberish happening on screen flashy but meaningless. Bushido Blade would be more fun to watch than this.

Taking damage (the percentage on the bottom of the screen) increases the amount you fly from hits and makes it harder for you to recover if you don't get KOed immediately. There's a lot of very technical nuance in between spawns and kills. So no, it's not meaningless in the slightest, though it does get inscrutable at high levels (though I'd argue not any different from the sheer nonsense in Marvel, for instance).

Whether this shit is fun to watch or not, though, is of course inarguable.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    It's funny that people in the chat have been ragging on HBox for camping on the sides. If I was playing a game that prioritized ringouts, I'd try to control the sides, too.

• Options
    Top 8 taking four-fucking hours needs to never happen again. If your game or rules make the last round of your tournament with 8 people take 4 hours, you need to change your shitty shitty rules.

• Options
    Top 8 taking four-fucking hours needs to never happen again. If your game or rules make the last round of your tournament with 8 people take 4 hours, you need to change your shitty shitty rules.

Would making them 4 person matches lengthen or shorten them?

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Would making them 4 person matches lengthen or shorten them?

They'd probably do like, first to 10 then or something equally stupid.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    If you honestly proposed a four-player tournament format for Smash Brothers other than doubles, you'd get laughed out of the room. FFA is "casual bullshit".

Far more realistic would be cutting the stock count; you'll hear complaining, but three stocks is still sufficient, in my humble opinion as a non-Melee player.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

and that's the "fast paced" smash bros game.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    good news everyone
    due to record smash viewer numbers, they are doubling the length of smash segments

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    good news everyone
    due to record smash viewer numbers, they are doubling the length of smash segments

Nooooo! Tuning in was an accident, everyone assumed the shit would be over 3 hours ago and thought maybe mahvel would start early!

• Options
    Joking aside, this is about the first year where Smash didn't overrun its allotted schedule.

• Options
    'Dis MAHVEL 2 Music.

• Options
    MAHVEL!

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    'Dis MAHVEL 2 Music.

I love how when MvC2 was new, its music was widely considered to be corny trash (cue all those bootleg DC discs with custom tracks), but now everyone looks to it with great fondness.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Page- wrote: »
    I think the issue is that, ironically, the game is too technical. Smash the players love to brag about how hard the game is to play at high levels, which is great for them, but what that translates to on screen is a whole lot of flailing and poking. To quote those modern esports philosophers, Los Campesinos!, "I think we need more post-coital/and less post-rock/Feels like the build-up takes forever/but you never get me off." Aside from the occasional edge-guarding chase off screen, nothing overtly interesting or exciting ever happens.

Plus, the games do take forever.

I agree, Street Fighter is incredibly boring to watch.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Which is an interesting point that I sympathize with, but at least it's not Tekken.

stream
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    What? How can anyone be so wrong about Tekken...
    I know I know, different tastes and all...but seriously?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Tekken's not my thing, but it's been solid for ages.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i don't see the point about complaining about smash because it actually finished on time this year
    if you don't like it don't tune in that's pretty simple

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    I don't hold anyone's terrible taste against them, so don't worry guys. We can still be buds.

stream
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    TBH high level Smash IS weird. I tried following it this year but nuh huh. I'm just gonna do stupid stuff over here.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I was at Subway during Marvel. Saw Kane crying a stream of tears yesterday.

Didn't he had a bad rep with asking people let him crash in their houses for a long time?

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Waiting for Ono's next costume.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I don't think I'll ever fully understand high level smash but it's still fun to watch for me. Heck, I'll never understand high level Street Fighter, and boy do I suck at playing it, but I still really enjoy watching it too. Very excited that Smash4 was in EVO though, it's my first Smash game and has quickly become on of my favorite fighting games and games in general.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith