As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] Discussion Round 3 - Fight!

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Did he find a job at another place?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular

...he flipped a table because he's angry?

I thought that one was pretty common.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Did he find a job at another place?

Unknown. The first clue we got was when his twitter account went dormant, and then was taken down (and later became a spam account). The new Soulcalibur producer started up a new twitter account for the series, made no mention of what happened to Daishi, and the only reason anyone knows something happened is because Harada let slip that he quit, as if they wanted to gloss over it at the time.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    gets sf5 beta, realizes it's online only, ps4 only. oh well.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It's also only 4 characters atm and doesn't even work.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    This is pretty much the SF5 beta experience right now.

• Options
    Beta gonna get bettah.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Their server stress test was successful though.

Results? Servers not strong enough!

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Momochi and Fuudo playing SFV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrU2d0199_A

Weird. It doesn't play for me. Could it be the region?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered User regular

Works for me.
    At vs screen Ken blinks real odd.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Poseidon wrote: »

Works for me.
    At vs screen Ken blinks real odd.

Even with a different browser it doesn't.

I can watch it work. Weird.

EDIT: They should have clarified that the service was gonna act intermittently. Or gone with less people.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    So how many Twitch Turbos did Mike give out this ep?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td_jbSG9vlg

• Options
    Governator asking for a Super Argentinean Backbreaker.

Priceless.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Rising Thunder still not launching, so I've managed to screw myself out of 2 fighting game betas in as many weeks.

I'm missing out on some prime rage time, with PC players getting their first tastes of fighting games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0WetHkYVtw

stream
  • Options
    ahah chel isn't even close to being the most broken character in the alpha

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Well I can't play, but I got codes. PM if you want.

Requires 64bit OS. Apparently that's catching a lot of people out.

1 key left.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    hell i've played virtually no fighting games at all and i know you can get in against fireballs

rising thunder has lowered the barrier to entry for fighting games, and it feels good when i can understand enough - in tiny, small bursts - to actually do what i think i want to do.

BUT

there's no way to practice fundamentals. i have no fundamentals. all of the non-Rising Thunder-specific skills like blocking/crouching/basic movement are still a challenge. i think i can block 25% of the time, IF i'm on the left side. i'm loving the game so far, but it's still got a ways to go to rope in people who are completely fresh to fighting games.

hoping the alpha lasts a while. i need time to learn. maybe a partner to practice with, but there's no private lobbies either.

EDIT:

also, my wrists are killing me. i'm not used to this type of input, lol

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Rising Thunder looks good. I hope it turns out good.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    BUT

there's no way to practice fundamentals. i have no fundamentals. all of the non-Rising Thunder-specific skills like blocking/crouching/basic movement are still a challenge. i think i can block 25% of the time, IF i'm on the left side. i'm loving the game so far, but it's still got a ways to go to rope in people who are completely fresh to fighting games.

I think that's definitely content that's going to be added in later. The irony is that a number of fighting games which have tons of mechanical complexity, like Skullgirls and Guilty Gear Xrd, have substantial tutorial modes that include stuff for just that: the basics of the basics.

I still have yet to see more AI-driven training mode options for beginners, though: SF4 and pretty much all modern fighting games have "recording" as a training mode option, which hardcore players make use of extensively to practice timing/setups/advanced techniques. But for raw beginners, recording is of less use because they might not know what to record to begin with, and it doesn't inherently provide variation. I'd like to see stuff like "you can't attack, defend yourself for 10/15/30/60s from the AI" or "you can't attack, you can't walk or dash, defend yourself for 60s/60 attacks from the AI". For beginner players, I feel that there's a real need for exposure to character content, but inside constrained settings with defined goals.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    hell i've played virtually no fighting games at all and i know you can get in against fireballs

rising thunder has lowered the barrier to entry for fighting games, and it feels good when i can understand enough - in tiny, small bursts - to actually do what i think i want to do.

BUT

hoping the alpha lasts a while. i need time to learn. maybe a partner to practice with, but there's no private lobbies either.

EDIT:

If you need that practice, you have the opportunity now to get it. Step 1 to learning is being willing to lose. I mean, it's an alpha. Nothing that goes on matters. If you have to spend an entire match doing nothing but blocking, go for it.

stream
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Page- wrote: »

BUT

EDIT:

If you need that practice, you have the opportunity now to get it. Step 1 to learning is being willing to lose. I mean, it's an alpha. Nothing that goes on matters. If you have to spend an entire match doing nothing but blocking, go for it.

yeah, that's why i'm hopeful the alpha lasts a while. every match is a learning opportunity

EDIT: yay for machine learning!

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Gootecks needs to spend more time on his haircut, less in the gym.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP2DX0iyHIY

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Fundamentals were the absolute worst thing about every fighting game franchise for me until Skullgirls (and later titles) happened. Absolutely zero effort put into games to explain the properties of even the most basic of moves. I really gravitated towards the franchises that actually put in the time and care to teach the goddamn fightans, and I honestly owe it to those particular ones that have taught me the vast majority of what little I can understand.

People who want to comprehend fighting game fundamentals shouldn't have to go onto YouTube or browse a forum, no matter how helpful those tools are.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I think more and more fighters are coming around to actually explaining how their games play.

I think lack of information is a holdover from the arcade era when all you did was give the player a movelist(if that) and told them to go nuts.

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    LOL there's something Mike comments on the video @around the 13 minute mark. I love fighting on Training Stage. But dammit I hate looking at Training Stage.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Training stage in SFxT looked a little more interesting.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    Man, I wish I were in the Rising Thunder alpha. Doubt anyone has codes left, eh?

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Feriluce wrote: »
    Man, I wish I were in the Rising Thunder alpha. Doubt anyone has codes left, eh?

I have one left, PM if you still want it

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Rising Thunder is interesting.

That's all I got.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Yo that looks fuckin' solid

• Options
    That March release for PC tho

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I've played literally a few matches and the netcode is solid. Now, don't be fooled, there is some execution required. There's some nifty combos you can pull off but I admit it really exposes ones...flaws once you remove the execution requirements.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    Farangu wrote: »
    Feriluce wrote: »

I have one left, PM if you still want it

Thanks, but @Page- hooked me up! Appreciate it though!

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    WhiteSharkWhiteShark Registered User regular
    I'm having a lot of fun with Rising Thunder. I've been trying to get all my friends to play it in the hopes that this will trick them into getting good at fighting games with me. Too bad there is no custom matchmaking yet... :(

And yeah, there is still some execution involved. I still regularly drop combos because I hit a button too early to link.