Options

The Death of Freddie Gray and the Baltimore Riots Update: Police Charged!

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I saw a post today speculating that the mug shot was taken with Bland laying down. That person believes she was dead in the photo.

And that's fucking ridiculous so let's not go full on tinfoil.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    It's ludicrous primarily because her death in transit would have been easy enough to cover up or explain away anyway.

• Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    After Freddie Gray? I think if she went into the car alive and came out dead there would be, you know, some issues.

Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Mr. Dark's Carnival?

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Highly doubt there's any footage. Most jails don't have cameras for individual cells. Mainly doors, hallways and rooms.

Anecdotal, granted.

They had a motion-activated camera; the footage from it only shows the jailer discovering the victim's body. The rest of the footage (multiple hours of recording from that morning) is mysteriously gone.
    It's ludicrous primarily because her death in transit would have been easy enough to cover up or explain away anyway.

Sure, if the objective from the get-go was to kill her. If, on the other hand, they just got violent with her after she was in jail and things went too far, or someone at the jail decided it was Rape Time (TM) later that evening...

Y'know what, though? Fuck it. There should be criminal consequences for not having the surveillance equipment working properly when incidents like this happen and, as a result of said equipment 'malfunctioning' or someone 'accidentally losing the footage' or whatever excuse someone wants to toss out, someone should get nailed to the wall. Not like 'we'll assume you murdered them' nailed to the wall, but negligence charges that are so severe they involve jail time should be thrown at whomever is supposed to be responsible for ensuring that everything is properly recorded. There is no point in having cameras in jails, or dash cameras on cars, or lapel cameras on beat cops, if they're just going to turn them off whenever it's convenient or destroy incriminating footage.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Highly doubt there's any footage. Most jails don't have cameras for individual cells. Mainly doors, hallways and rooms.

Anecdotal, granted.

They had a motion-activated camera; the footage from it only shows the jailer discovering the victim's body. The rest of the footage (multiple hours of recording from that morning) is mysteriously gone.

Sure, if the objective from the get-go was to kill her. If, on the other hand, they just got violent with her after she was in jail and things went too far, or someone at the jail decided it was Rape Time (TM) later that evening...

Y'know what, though? Fuck it. There should be criminal consequences for not having the surveillance equipment working properly when incidents like this happen and, as a result of said equipment 'malfunctioning' or someone 'accidentally losing the footage' or whatever excuse someone wants to toss out, someone should get nailed to the wall. Not like 'we'll assume you murdered them' nailed to the wall, but negligence charges that are so severe they involve jail time should be thrown at whomever is supposed to be responsible for ensuring that everything is properly recorded. There is no point in having cameras in jails, or dash cameras on cars, or lapel cameras on beat cops, if they're just going to turn them off whenever it's convenient or destroy incriminating footage.
    I do feel like deliberate absence of video evidence should be assumed to be evidence against the people stopping recording. I have no idea how that'd work legally tho.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/24/us/sandra-bland-arrest-death-main/index.html
    In the days leading up to Sandra Bland's death, she wasn't eating and was emotional, a former jail mate said.

Alexandria Pyle , who was in a neighboring cell at the Waller County Jail in Texas, said Bland was upset because her bond was set at $5,000 and no one was returning her jailhouse calls.

"She wasn't eating and when I did talk to her, she was just crying and crying and all I could say was they could not hold you forever," Pyle said.

Citing preliminary autopsy results, the Waller County prosecutor told reporters that the cause of Bland's death was hanging and that she had committed suicide. There were no signs of a struggle.

Prosecutor Warren Diepraam said the early results offered "very overwhelming evidence," but stressed that the case is not closed.

"I feel comfortable that their findings are correct, but there's still a lot of information out there so we're not forming any conclusions at this point," he said. "Nothing is certain."

The results of the preliminary autopsy concur with how the sheriff's office described Bland's death.

Jail personnel found her not breathing and hanging from a trash bag on the morning of July 13. The sheriff's office said it "appears to be self-inflicted asphyxiation."

Waller County Sheriff R. Glenn Smith also weighed in. "There is absolutely no doubt in my mind (Bland committed suicide)," he said.

Suicide or something else?

Still, Bland's family and friends remain steadfast in their belief that she had too much to live for and never would have taken her own life.

Theresa Dear -- a long-time minister at DuPage AME Church outside Chicago, which Bland attended growing up -- noted that, as Bland tried to get money to post $5,000 bail, she had a bright future to look forward to and looked likely to be released soon.

"How could someone go from a place of being excited about the future to now wanting to take their own life?" Dear said, accusing officials of selectively putting out "crumbs and morsels," but not the full story. "We, as a family and a community who love Sandra Bland, do not accept ... this narrative that the Texas authorities are putting in the media that she had suicidal tendencies."

Jailhouse documents give a conflicting picture of Bland's mental state.

A form that appeared to be filled out by hand after her arrest states that Bland tried to overdose with pills in 2014 after losing a baby. And there are check marks next to "yes" on questions about depression and suicidal thoughts.

Yet a separate document, which appears to be from a computer, has "no" answers next to questions about mental illness and attempted suicide. The apparent discrepancy hasn't been explained.

"I have a hard time dealing with inconsistency and that seems to have been the theme over the last couple of days here," Bland's sister, Sharon Cooper said.

State report: Jail that held Bland did not make timely checks

On the same day preliminary autopsy results were released, CNN obtained a report that shows guards in the jail that held Bland violated policies by failing to do timely checks on inmates.

The two-page "special inspection report" from the Texas Commission on Jail Standards does not mention Bland by name. But it was filed on July 16, three days after Bland's body was found in her cell.

A timeline from the Waller County Sheriff's Office of what's seen in video from the jail states that a male guard stopped and briefly talked with Bland shortly after 7 a.m., but no one came back to check on her until 8:55 a.m.

That's when jail personnel found her.

The state report notes that there should be a "visual, face-to-face observation of all inmates by jailers no less than once every 60 minutes."

Nearly two hours went by in the case of Bland.

The inspection report also found that "documentation ... revealed that Waller County is not completing (such checks) as required by Minimum Jail Standards."

That's not the only apparent violation.

The same report states county officials didn't provide proof that jail staff had two hours of annual training with "the local mental health authorities ... in accordance with their approved Mental Disabilities/Suicide Prevention Plan."

"The training is to include the recognition, supervision, documentation and handling of inmates who are mentally disabled and/or potentially suicidal," it says.

What we know about the controversy in Sandra Bland's death

Friend: 'Something went terribly wrong'

Another thing that has angered Bland's supporters, and raised their suspicions even more, is how and why she was arrested in the first place.

The charge she faced was assault on a public servant. Yet this only happened after she was pulled over for allegedly failing to use her turn signal on July 10.

What started as a seemingly normal conversation got testy after Texas state Trooper Brian Encinia asked Bland to put out her cigarette.

"I am in my car. Why do I have to put out my cigarette?" Bland says.

At that point the officer tells Bland to get out of the car. She refuses, and dashcam video shows the officer reaching in, threatening Bland with a Taser: "I will light you up!"

In his arrest warrant affidavit, Encinia wrote that Bland became "combative and uncooperative" and that she was placed in handcuffs "for officer safety."

What are your rights during a traffic stop?

Bland's family doesn't think the traffic stop over a turn signal should have escalated to an arrest.

"I simply feel like the officer was picking on her, and I believe that is petty," her sister Sharon Cooper told CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront."

LaVaughn Mosley, who says Bland left him a voicemail after her arrest indicating she was "at a loss for words" but not hinting about suicide, said it is all a shame -- especially her death.

"Here is a young black female who was on her way to being successful," Mosley said. "I don't know what happened in that jailhouse, but obviously something went terribly wrong."

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    In the days leading up to Sandra Bland's death, she wasn't eating and was emotional, a former jail mate said.

Alexandria Pyle , who was in a neighboring cell at the Waller County Jail in Texas, said Bland was upset because her bond was set at $5,000 and no one was returning her jailhouse calls.

"She wasn't eating and when I did talk to her, she was just crying and crying and all I could say was they could not hold you forever," Pyle said.

Fucking OF COURSE SHE WAS

She was taken to jail and imprisoned for no reason!

I would be crying all the time and not eating, too! Anybody would! Fuck off with this character assassination bullshit.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Yeah fucking christ.

And I really could not give less of a shit what any asshole from Waller County says about anything.

Oh there's no doubt in your mind that that thing you're desperately trying to convince people happened is the only explanation? Weird yeah wow I was suspicious earlier but way to put my fears to rest.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    It was an inmate that said that, not the cops

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Oh, another mysterious camera malfunction. How absolutely believable

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    It was an inmate that said that, not the cops

I'm sure the inmate has no motivation to support the narrative put forward by the police who are holding her.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I would not be surprised if she actually did commit suicide; fear of losing her new job/future prospects/money for legal fees/whatever could probably be very distressing, especially since she probably knew how bad things can be.

That said, this, like all other instances, should never have happened and was the result of problems with our attitudes about race and policing.

• Options
    So, some things I'm unclear on:

Did she HAVE to put her cigarette out per the cop's request/demand?
    Did he have the authority to ask her to exit the vehicle?
    Prior to her refusal to put out the cigarette?
    Post refusal?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Cog wrote: »

Did she HAVE to put her cigarette out per the cop's request/demand? No. You do not have to comply with cop requests. You do have to comply with orders, but this was not an order.
    Did he have the authority to ask her to exit the vehicle? Yes, he did.
    Prior to her refusal to put out the cigarette? Cops can force you out of the car for any reason at any time.
    Post refusal? Cops can force you out of the car for any reason at any time.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Thanks

I assume the general response from the LEO community is the standard "well if she had just done what he'd asked..." victim blaming.

Cog on
  • Options
    The Ender wrote: »

Anecdotal, granted.

I do feel like deliberate absence of video evidence should be assumed to be evidence against the people stopping recording. I have no idea how that'd work legally tho.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/20/sandra-bland-arrested-officer-annoyed-smoking

Where is this "missing footage" story coming from?

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »

Fucking OF COURSE SHE WAS

She was taken to jail and imprisoned for no reason!

I would be crying all the time and not eating, too! Anybody would! Fuck off with this character assassination bullshit.

She also put down on an intake form that she had attempted to kill herself with a drug overdose in 2014, and her autopsy shows 30 cut marks on her arms about two weeks old. Saying a suicidal person was suicidal is not "character assassination." She killed herself. Of course her family doesn't want to believe it. Who would?

Given that she did report a suicide attempt, I suspect the county could be on the hook in a civil lawsuit. Especially given the video of her arrest. But if the jury is from the county, it could be rough going.

• Options
    edited July 2015

Did she HAVE to put her cigarette out per the cop's request/demand? No. You do not have to comply with cop requests. You do have to comply with orders, but this was not an order.
    Prior to her refusal to put out the cigarette? Cops can force you out of the car for any reason at any time.

Is this confirmed? When I asked earlier in the thread someone said the legality of the stop and his subsequent requests to exit the car were in question.

Spaffy on
  • Options
    Spaffy wrote: »

Is this confirmed? When I asked earlier in the thread someone said the legality of the stop and his subsequent requests to exit the car were in question.

Yes it is confirmed. The Supreme Court has stated that an officer may ask someone to exit the car at any time during a routing traffic stop.

However, once a cop hands you your ticket/warning, the traffic stop is effectively over, according to the same Supreme Court.

So the question then becomes at what point was Sandra Bland asked to remove herself from the car? Had the cop already handed her the ticket/warning and ended the stop, or not?

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It's probably two different incidences. The dash-cam footage jumps around and has a mysterious loop of cars which suggests editing.

Then there is the jail cell footage which, according to the police never existed showing the inside of her cell and that the cameras that do exist apparently only work on motion detection and there is no footage showing anybody entering the cell before she was discovered. Which leads to some people to suggest that there probably is footage of the latter but has been intentionally deleted because obviously the cops killed her for reasons on the day she was to be released anyway. And so on.

This is a clusterfuck all around and recent police history isn't helping things.

• Options
    As much as I loathe to say it there doesn't seem to be anything the law can do in this situation. She was legit stopped (but the cop was an asshole and should probably be fired) legit suicidal, more than likely killed herself, but was driven to the point of doing it by the police in a manner the law is not equipped to handle. Fuck this.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    This is a clusterfuck all around and recent police history isn't helping things.

This is certainly true, but some people in here are getting a little overzealous with some of the theories being thrown around. I'm all about holding cops accountable for the well-being of people in their care, teaching them not to escalate over a fucking traffic stop, and nailing their asses with fines when they don't follow strict procedure, but the most reasonable explanation as of this moment is that she did kill herself, and the jail that was holding her and the cop who arrested her were negligent and a dick, respectively.

Her former cellmate saying she was crying all the time and distraught over the absurdity of her bail isn't character assassination, it's an observation. People who suffer from depression and have attempted suicide in the past only need one bad day to return to that spiral, and unfortunately Sandra had several.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Involuntary Manslaughter

seems like it would fit the case here.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    The behavior of the officer on the stop was unacceptable. The lack of procedure/following with regards to a suicidal inmate is unacceptable.

I honestly feel that it was suicide but the agency should be held responsible.

Corpse mugshots, I feel, are reaching into "metal and concrete don't burn!" territory.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options

This is certainly true, but some people in here are getting a little overzealous with some of the theories being thrown around. I'm all about holding cops accountable for the well-being of people in their care, teaching them not to escalate over a fucking traffic stop, and nailing their asses with fines when they don't follow strict procedure, but the most reasonable explanation as of this moment is that she did kill herself, and the jail that was holding her and the cop who arrested her were negligent and a dick, respectively.

Her former cellmate saying she was crying all the time and distraught over the absurdity of her bail isn't character assassination, it's an observation. People who suffer from depression and have attempted suicide in the past only need one bad day to return to that spiral, and unfortunately Sandra had several.

Sure. But like Michael Brown, releasing this kind of information still comes off like it. I think the difference is in how the information is used, though I'm not sure there is a way to just mention things like this and not have it question character.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular

Sure. But like Michael Brown, releasing this kind of information still comes off like it. I think the difference is in how the information is used, though I'm not sure there is a way to just mention things like this and not have it question character.

Then I think we disagree on what constitutes character assassination and what response a woman being greatly upset over an injustice with far-reaching consequences into her personal life should elicit in a third party.

Unfortunately, Sandra is dead. We can't ask her about her emotional state before her death, but we can gather observations from people who were around her immediately prior to the incident. The Michael Brown case was different because it doesn't inform him being shot by someone else in a completely unrelated event. If he'd been shot in the store by the store owner, then it would have been pertinent. Though probably not to release to the general public, that would have still been fucked up.

In what is ostensibly a suicide, information about the deceased's emotional state is relevant. The judgment others (I believe unfairly) pass on the person is not the responsibility of the person collecting the information, nor the one reporting it.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Plastic bags aren't normally something people are allowed to have in jail cells, and of course when you're put in jail you have to empty out your pockets first. So where'd the bag come from?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Plastic bags aren't normally something people are allowed to have in jail cells, and of course when you're put in jail you have to empty out your pockets first. So where'd the bag come from?

allegedly used to line a trashcan in the cell

probably not something the jail should be doing but hey it's texas

• Options

They shouldn't have trashcans in a jail cell, either.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

yeah .... what are you putting in there?

I mean .... I can understand taking their wallets so they don't have any money to spend in the cell

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

but hey it's texas

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Someone I know posted online that they legally have to have a trash bag in every cell because if they didn't it could be concidered a rights violation or sanitary issue.

I don't know the person well enough to know if that's true or if that's racist snark.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Then I think we disagree on what constitutes character assassination and what response a woman being greatly upset over an injustice with far-reaching consequences into her personal life should elicit in a third party.

Unfortunately, Sandra is dead. We can't ask her about her emotional state before her death, but we can gather observations from people who were around her immediately prior to the incident. The Michael Brown case was different because it doesn't inform him being shot by someone else in a completely unrelated event. If he'd been shot in the store by the store owner, then it would have been pertinent. Though probably not to release to the general public, that would have still been fucked up.

In what is ostensibly a suicide, information about the deceased's emotional state is relevant. The judgment others (I believe unfairly) pass on the person is not the responsibility of the person collecting the information, nor the one reporting it.

I'd be more sympathic to this if "information from a cell mate" wasn't so hilariously unreliable and usually slanted towards the police (see also "that guy I couldn't see was totally smashing his head against the can wall on purpose")

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's a boy who cried wolf thing. Police in this country have lost all credibility.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Someone I know posted online that they legally have to have a trash bag in every cell because if they didn't it could be concidered a rights violation or sanitary issue.

I don't know the person well enough to know if that's true or if that's racist snark.

One minute of Google and five minutes of reading later... not true.
    Sec. 351.011. FURNISHINGS OF CELLS, COMPARTMENTS, AND DORMITORIES.
    (a) A county jail cell designed for one prisoner only must have a toilet, a combination sink and drinking fountain, a table, and a seat.

(b) A housing area designed for three or more prisoners must have one toilet and one combination sink and drinking fountain for every eight prisoners to be confined in the area.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/SOTWDocs/LG/htm/LG.351.htm

• Options
    mxmarks wrote: »

One minute of Google and five minutes of reading later... not true.
    Sec. 351.011. FURNISHINGS OF CELLS, COMPARTMENTS, AND DORMITORIES.
    (a) A county jail cell designed for one prisoner only must have a toilet, a combination sink and drinking fountain, a table, and a seat.

(b) A housing area designed for three or more prisoners must have one toilet and one combination sink and drinking fountain for every eight prisoners to be confined in the area.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/SOTWDocs/LG/htm/LG.351.htm

Are they restricted to ONLY those furnishings, or is that the minimum furnishing?

And regardless, the jail may have violated the code and furnished the trash can & bag out of incompetence.

• Options
    minirhyder wrote: »
    Each of the weapons was loaded, and all but the AR-15 had rounds within the chamber, authorities said.

Two of the handguns, including the one Gunnells kept holstered at his back, were cocked, investigators said.

If only this guy had shot himself in the ass, we could have posted it in the Bad News Gone Right thread...

• Options
    LxX6eco.jpg
This discussion has been closed.