As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Death of Freddie Gray and the Baltimore Riots Update: Police Charged!

1373839404143»

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    Plastic bags aren't normally something people are allowed to have in jail cells, and of course when you're put in jail you have to empty out your pockets first. So where'd the bag come from?

Where are you getting the bolded from? Depending on each individual jail what people are allowed to have can vary wildly.

I'm getting it from the common sense that it can be easily used to kill someone/oneself. Also if their narrative is that she was a suicide risk, then again, not something you'd want in the cell.

You think it's common sense that every single person arrested for non violent offenses should be presumed to be violent? I mean yeah, a person could kill someone else with that trash bag, but why would you assume they will? Assuming someone is violent solely because they've been arrested is a bad thing.

The suicide concerns are much more valid but the people in charge can't manage to get their story straight on anything regarding what they knew about her right now.

didn't stop them from cuffing her due to concerns over "officer safety"

everyone gets cuffed. That's not an anomaly.

What he is saying is hindsight is 20 20, and there is no realistic way they could have known she was a suicide risk and would use a trash bag to do so. Having a trashcan and trash bag seems like a reasonable item to have in a very low security jail dealing with non-violent offenders.

Nah they totally could have known. Maybe. Depends on who you ask. But several dozen cuts on an arm aren't easy to miss and the moment she mentioned to anyone that she'd attempted suicide means she should have been on a suicide watch. So again it's massive incompetence at best.

I have to disagree with you there, Quid, because she should have never been in the situation in the first place.

Remember, she was pulled over for not signalling a turn. Not signalling a turn.

No one ever signals all their turns. The police never pull anyone over for that unless: A) They have another legitimate reason to pull them over anyway or B) The person driving is a minority

That's totally not true. I've been pulled over for failure to signal.
    And of course they dont get every body that does it, because cops cant be everywhere at all times.
    Focus on what the officer did that was hugely messed up. Pulling over someone for failure to signal is not one of them.

My point that she shouldn't have been in jail to begin with still stands.

And on that account i agree 100%.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Apparently her booking documents say she has attempted suicide in the past. Which means the jail should have taken precautions to make sure it didn't happen again.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Just getting caught up on this situation.....

But i assume it was bare minimum security jail cells. Mostly for processing/holding. I wouldnt think a trashcan would be out of line. But...thats juts me

Ya but I have to wonder about the thought the police say she had reported she was suicidal. Because of this you would think there were extra precautions. Like my older brother who was on ADHD meds when he got arrested as a kid, because he was on prescribed medication he went to a detaining center with all the people who were legitimately crazy and on hardcore meds. I'm not saying they should have sent her to the psyc ward, but I feel like there should be procedures for someone who might be suicidal that are different from other inmates.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, that form does not look good for the cops.

It again means the cause of death ranges from incredible incompetence (if not criminal negligence) to murder made to look like suicide.

Like, the absolute best case for these cops is that they're incomptetent assholes.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Maybe this is coming from a position of ignorance but....

Arent the answers on the sheet given by the defendant? So...if there is inaccuracies isnt that because those are the answers she gave?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Plastic bags aren't normally something people are allowed to have in jail cells, and of course when you're put in jail you have to empty out your pockets first. So where'd the bag come from?

Where are you getting the bolded from? Depending on each individual jail what people are allowed to have can vary wildly.

I'm getting it from the common sense that it can be easily used to kill someone/oneself. Also if their narrative is that she was a suicide risk, then again, not something you'd want in the cell.

You think it's common sense that every single person arrested for non violent offenses should be presumed to be violent? I mean yeah, a person could kill someone else with that trash bag, but why would you assume they will? Assuming someone is violent solely because they've been arrested is a bad thing.

The suicide concerns are much more valid but the people in charge can't manage to get their story straight on anything regarding what they knew about her right now.

didn't stop them from cuffing her due to concerns over "officer safety"

everyone gets cuffed. That's not an anomaly.

What he is saying is hindsight is 20 20, and there is no realistic way they could have known she was a suicide risk and would use a trash bag to do so. Having a trashcan and trash bag seems like a reasonable item to have in a very low security jail dealing with non-violent offenders.

Nah they totally could have known. Maybe. Depends on who you ask. But several dozen cuts on an arm aren't easy to miss and the moment she mentioned to anyone that she'd attempted suicide means she should have been on a suicide watch. So again it's massive incompetence at best.

I have to disagree with you there, Quid, because she should have never been in the situation in the first place.

Remember, she was pulled over for not signalling a turn. Not signalling a turn.

No one ever signals all their turns. The police never pull anyone over for that unless: A) They have another legitimate reason to pull them over anyway or B) The person driving is a minority

That's totally not true. I've been pulled over for failure to signal.
    And of course they dont get every body that does it, because cops cant be everywhere at all times.
    Focus on what the officer did that was hugely messed up. Pulling over someone for failure to signal is not one of them.

My point that she shouldn't have been in jail to begin with still stands.

Yes everyone agrees with this.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »

But i assume it was bare minimum security jail cells. Mostly for processing/holding. I wouldnt think a trashcan would be out of line. But...thats juts me

Ya but I have to wonder about the thought the police say she had reported she was suicidal. Because of this you would think there were extra precautions. Like my older brother who was on ADHD meds when he got arrested as a kid, because he was on prescribed medication he went to a detaining center with all the people who were legitimately crazy and on hardcore meds. I'm not saying they should have sent her to the psyc ward, but I feel like there should be procedures for someone who might be suicidal that are different from other inmates.

There are procedures. You're supposed to check on them much more often, usually every 10 to 15 minutes in most places.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular

Arent the answers on the sheet given by the defendant? So...if there is inaccuracies isnt that because those are the answers she gave?

Depends on if there is a hand-written version with her handwriting on it. A computer form can be filled out by anyone.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

There are procedures. You're supposed to check on them much more often, usually every 10 to 15 minutes in most places.

To be fair, police stations are far from the only institutions not adequately handling suicidal patients in the current day and age. Arguably, if hospitals can't manage it....

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

I recall seeing that hourly checks were the requirement here, but they still fucked that up super good. In the time period during which she apparently died, she wasn't checked on for nearly two.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »

Depends on if there is a hand-written version with her handwriting on it. A computer form can be filled out by anyone.

Which takes this from the jail being incompetant to a case of fraud.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Caedwyr wrote: »

Which takes this from the jail being incompetant to a case of fraud.

I don't know if I'd go that far, gross incompetence can explain a lot of weird shit.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Regarding character assassination:
    The preliminary results also found high levels of marijuana in Bland's system, although officials are seeking additional tests to confirm when and how much she might have smoked or swallowed, Waller County Assistant District Attorney Warren Diepraam said.

[snip]

However, he added that the high level of the drug in Bland's system could have influenced her mood while in jail.

"It is a mood amplifier, so it is relevant in our opinion to determine whether or not marijuana may have played a role in her death as well, exacerbating existing conditions," he said.
    Same old song and dance.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Now THAT is character assassination.

• Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    Yeah I bet she was super high on her 3rd day in jail.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Clearly she smoked so much of it before being arrested that she turned angry and violent with the officer who, noting the massive amount of weed just falling out of the car, ordered her to smoke it all to teach her a lesson.

Q.E.D.

• Options
    Clearly she smoked so much of it before being arrested that she turned angry and violent with the officer who, noting the massive amount of weed just falling out of the car, ordered her to smoke it all to teach her a lesson.

Q.E.D.

And then it wore off and she got super depressed and committed suicide.

Case closed.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

Q.E.D.

And then it wore off and she got super depressed and committed suicide.

Case closed.

when Snoop Dogg and his assistant Dr. Dre wrote "smoke weed every day" it was actually medical advice

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I missed that bit about marijuana earlier.

I'm sort of glad I did, because now my teeth are grinding.

• Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    An indecent exposure call ended with a man being shot with a taser and arrested by a police officer Wednesday at a Denton motel, according to Denton Police.

The woman can be heard in the video screaming for help as officers tried to gain control of her.

The officer yells several times for Coleman to "back up." Coleman did not comply. He yells, "she needs help" before the officer shoots him with the taser and he falls to the floor.

"[Coleman] ignored the officer's orders and tried to push his way past the officer to get to the officers and female on the ground," read the statement from Denton PD. "When [Coleman] tried to get past the officer, he deployed his taser bringing [Coleman] to the ground."

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/denton-county/2015/07/22/denton-police-taser-arrest/30550073/

Denton Police released their own video, which clearly does not show anybody trying to push past the police.

The victim was black, and the police white, naturally.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    There seems to be a low proportion of actual on topic discussion in this thread, and a lot of general cop stuff.

I think we're probably done here.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.