Options

A reporter and cameraman have been shot to death live on air in Virginia

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Oakey wrote: »
    Gun suicides are also a call for gun control. When england got rid of gas ovens overall suicide numbers went down because people who would have killed themselves with gas wouldn't do it through other means, if we could somehow cut down the number of guns in america most likely our overall suicide numbers would also go down.

Sorry Preach, I had to go check this out as we still most definitely have gas ovens. Apparently it's because we now use natural gas rather than gas that was rich in Carbon Monoxide

Ok so I had the particulars wrong about what kind of gas they switched from, but the statistic is the same, it was harder to kill yourself and so people stopped doing it.

It's cool Preach, it made me curious as to why this was. And now we know!

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Nbsp wrote: »
    What they should do is anonymize manifestos and release them publicly for research into the public domain.

I agree, but maybe after 20 years or the death of the author for general public, or by special request with accreditation backing (as with most Psychological studies and datasets of a limited nature). Would allow the data to be useful for evaluative purposes in academia without allowing the individual action to be seen in a influential light.

• Options
    NbspNbsp she laughs, like God her mind's like a diamondRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    What they should do is anonymize manifestos and release them publicly for research into the public domain.

I agree, but maybe after 20 years or the death of the author for general public, or by special request with accreditation backing (as with most Psychological studies and datasets of a limited nature). Would allow the data to be useful for evaluative purposes in academia without allowing the individual action to be seen in a influential light.

(Un)fortunately, not all of us do data science behind institutional walls.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    You don't need an institution to gain certification for access to limited data! You might have to join an association (APA, AAFS, AACJ) and request through the organization's IRB board. Member ship costs are negligible and if you have your ducks in a row it is very possible to get all sorts of limited data for research outside a University. Generally speaking, you have to do all that inside the university also, but the membership fees for various associations are waived by your regional institutional accreditation through your student/employment status.

It's also possible to request limited data sets without accreditation, though the vetting process typically takes a year or more because of that. The association/institution ensures accountability via their standing and reputation, so without them it takes a bit to ensure you will be using potentially harmful data in a responsible way.

Enc on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And the "information wants to be free" crowd is already complaining that the shooter's social media presence got scrubbed. The "damage has been done" argument is getting long in the tooth.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    And the "information wants to be free" crowd is already complaining that the shooter's social media presence got scrubbed. The "damage has been done" argument is getting long in the tooth.

I'm sure there's places for archives of this stuff, and maybe there should be, but there is no reason for this to stay up on twitter or facebook.

• Options
    Yea Twitter doesn't have to keep that shit up on their servers if they don't want to.

Besides the video is already on Liveleak and isn't going anywhere for a while. Lord knows the shooting video is hardly the most graphic thing on that site.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Am I the only person who thinks that there isn't a problem publishing portions of the manifesto? The reason he committed the crime is of significance and has value to the public.

Receiving information solely through government spokespeople increases the potential for abuse.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    You don't need an institution to gain certification for access to limited data! You might have to join an association (APA, AAFS, AACJ) and request through the organization's IRB board. Member ship costs are negligible and if you have your ducks in a row it is very possible to get all sorts of limited data for research outside a University. Generally speaking, you have to do all that inside the university also, but the membership fees for various associations are waived by your regional institutional accreditation through your student/employment status.

It's also possible to request limited data sets without accreditation, though the vetting process typically takes a year or more because of that. The association/institution ensures accountability via their standing and reputation, so without them it takes a bit to ensure you will be using potentially harmful data in a responsible way.

Can that data be used for commercial purposes?

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Yes, I see no possible way setting the precedent of banning speech we don't like, especially in connection with journalism could go wrong.

• Options
    Leitner wrote: »
    Yes, I see no possible way setting the precedent of banning speech we don't like, especially in connection with journalism could go wrong.

Because it's not about speech we don't like. It's about not enabling the people who commit these atrocities. As it's been pointed out, these people know that such heinous acts know that these acts act as an amplifier, allowing them to push their heinous views. Which is why there's been a concerted effort to turn the switch off, to discourage other "message" killers.

• Options

Because it's not about speech we don't like. It's about not enabling the people who commit these atrocities. As it's been pointed out, these people know that such heinous acts know that these acts act as an amplifier, allowing them to push their heinous views. Which is why there's been a concerted effort to turn the switch off, to discourage other "message" killers.

Pretty much. Making these people infamous only serves to encourage others. The best policy is to never mention their name and to bury their bullshit while keeping the focus on the victims in order to humanize them in the eyes of the sociopaths out there

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    But why push a heinous view when you know you're just going to be killed? When you're dead you're dead and you don't give a shit about anything you once thought. The guy who killed these two reporters no longer gives a shit about anything. So why do it?

Nbsp on
  • Options

The bolded strike me as contradictory. If it isn't about speech you don't like, why does his views being heinous matter?

Maybe his views aren't heinous, but he just picked a heinous way to act on them? How do we know without his manifesto?

• Options
    Oh, and let me point out the most obnoxious of all the arguments:
    Removing that information from social media doesn’t stop people from wanting to see it; it just makes them work a little harder to find cached copies of it.

Just because people want to see does not mean that Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn are somehow obligated to enable those desires. So what if they have to dig harder? The people who really want to will put in the effort, while the digital rubberneckers will be discouraged - which helps dampen the megaphone.

I absolutely hate this goosey argument, and find the people who use it to be the silliest of geese.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I think not publishing the final thoughts of people who murder others for whatever reason isn't a serious impact to freedom of speech. And I don't think anyone is really advocating for a governmental law, more like a guideline for our media not to give killers one final f you to the public they wronged.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    But why push a heinous view when you know you're just going to be killed? When you're dead you're dead and you don't give a shit about anything you once thought. The guy who killed these two reporters no longer gives a shit about anything. So why do it?

Because the US media has a nasty habit of turning mass shooters into media darlings, plastering their name and face everywhere. If there's a manifesto it'll be blasted over the airwaves. It's proven to be an easy way for crazy fuckers to get on tv.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Because the US media has a nasty habit of turning mass shooters into media darlings, plastering their name and face everywhere. If there's a manifesto it'll be blasted over the airwaves. It's proven to be an easy way for crazy fuckers to get on tv.

That trend has actually been reversing, as I posted earlier in the thread.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Despite humanity's shortsightedness, there is still a drive for affecting the future beyond oneself.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »

The bolded strike me as contradictory. If it isn't about speech you don't like, why does his views being heinous matter?

Maybe his views aren't heinous, but he just picked a heinous way to act on them? How do we know without his manifesto?
    It's less contradictory and more superfluous.

Publicizing manifestos confirms that killing people will generate a lot of attention for what you say.

Not publicizing them removes that incentive (they don't need to be "banned," and in this day and age I'd argue that's probably impractical if not impossible).

• Options
    Oh, and let me point out the most obnoxious of all the arguments:
    Removing that information from social media doesn’t stop people from wanting to see it; it just makes them work a little harder to find cached copies of it.

Just because people want to see does not mean that Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn are somehow obligated to enable those desires. So what if they have to dig harder? The people who really want to will put in the effort, while the digital rubberneckers will be discouraged - which helps dampen the megaphone.

I absolutely hate this goosey argument, and find the people who use it to be the silliest of geese.
    Even if we disagree on the manifesto, we're in agreement here. Twitter and Facebook had every right to take down those videos and his account along with them.
    I think not publishing the final thoughts of people who murder others for whatever reason isn't a serious impact to freedom of speech. And I don't think anyone is really advocating for a governmental law, more like a guideline for our media not to give killers one final f you to the public they wronged.
    At least we agree that government shouldn't hold back the manifesto and say, "We totally have evidence this guy murdered people for reasons, but those reasons are secret. Totally believe us guys, we're always honest".

I just happen to think the media should then report on excerpts of the manifesto to both keep the government honest and provide useful context for people to understand the tragedy.

• Options

That trend has actually been reversing, as I posted earlier in the thread.

It'll take a bit before the slow change in the media's handling of these events makes a difference. It will over time and kudos to the media for slowly getting their shit together, but cause and effect are not always instant.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I don't understand where you think the government should not withhold evidence from the general public about killings. I mean its immaterial why this guy killed former co-workers. And its not some grand conspiracy, sometimes the police withhold information after a killing out of respect for the victims/their families. To me there are some things I don't believe I ever need to know, like say why some person decided it was time to film the murder of two people.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Surfpossum wrote: »

Publicizing manifestos confirms that killing people will generate a lot of attention for what you say.

Not publicizing them removes that incentive (they don't need to be "banned," and in this day and age I'd argue that's probably impractical if not impossible).

The counterargument to that is how the Charleston shooting got the Confederate Flag taken down from government buildings in SC.

Leaving out the specifics of the shooter's motivation would have most likely prevented that.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    You don't know what you don't know.

• Options
    Yeah, there's really no good reason to share manifestos. The public gets nothing productive out of them and the killer gets what they wanted.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    I don't understand where you think the government should not withhold evidence from the general public about killings. I mean its immaterial why this guy killed former co-workers. And its not some grand conspiracy, sometimes the police withhold information after a killing out of respect for the victims/their families. To me there are some things I don't believe I ever need to know, like say why some person decided it was time to film the murder of two people.

They usually leave out details, not motive.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Yeah, there's really no good reason to share manifestos. The public gets nothing productive out of them and the killer gets what they wanted.

They're looking for media exposure and an audience to their rationale for doing what they did. They don't need that.

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Am I the only person who thinks that there isn't a problem publishing portions of the manifesto? The reason he committed the crime is of significance and has value to the public.

Not if we're not going to have a reasonable public discussion on the issue.

And well. We aren't. And we aren't because we have had the conversation already and the answers are clear. But we are unable to achieve them.

1) No one is banning speech. Media organizations can make decisions about what they want to air and we are simply telling them that maybe these types of things they shouldn't air/publish.

2) We ban speech that we don't like all the damned time.
    Has anyone here ever been involved in a shooting? I was the target of one when I was little. My mom's mentally ill brother tried to kill us with a rifle. The only damage was to a window, but it's the kind of memory that sticks with you.

I had someone threaten me with a gun over a chess game (no fucking joke). And I was 5 stories above a shooting that occurred in front of where I live(and i still flinch every time i hear a garbage can lid slam shut at night). Both of them were amazingly surreal.

My Sister was in the building above when that guy got on a metro bus and shot the driver (then was gunned down by police who miraculously hit no one else). I was a few blocks over when it happened. I am in the least violent segment of the socioeconomic status. My family owns no guns, my extended family owns no guns.

10 bux that we are the only people in a developed nation who are going to have a lot of stories like that. Probably because of how many knives we have.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    A dead person has no rights to free speech.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

And well. We aren't. And we aren't because we have had the conversation already and the answers are clear. But we are unable to achieve them.

Again, see my point about the Charleston shootings.

I'm assuming here you're really referencing the gun control debate. Which is presumably not why he did this.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    You don't know what you don't know.

Confirmed as Donald Rumsfeld.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Goumindong wrote: »

1) No one is banning speech. Media organizations can make decisions about what they want to air and we are simply telling them that maybe these types of things they shouldn't air/publish.

2) We ban speech that we don't like all the damned time.
    Has anyone here ever been involved in a shooting? I was the target of one when I was little. My mom's mentally ill brother tried to kill us with a rifle. The only damage was to a window, but it's the kind of memory that sticks with you.

I had someone threaten me with a gun over a chess game (no fucking joke). And I was 5 stories above a shooting that occurred in front of where I live(and i still flinch every time i hear a garbage can lid slam shut at night). Both of them were amazingly surreal.

My Sister was in the building above when that guy got on a metro bus and shot the driver (then was gunned down by police who miraculously hit no one else). I was a few blocks over when it happened. I am in the least violent segment of the socioeconomic status. My family owns no guns, my extended family owns no guns.

10 bux that we are the only people in a developed nation who are going to have a lot of stories like that. Probably because of how many knives we have.

With 100,000 shootings a year, spread out among every state, with victims and shooters in every socioeconomic bracket, it's amazing that everyone doesn't have a shooting story. I am well past the point where I could remember how to calculate the percentages, but even with 300 million+ people, you've got to have a pretty high chance of either being involved directly in one, being near enough to the the scene of one to be effected, or personally knowing someone who has been involved in one.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Edit: Nevermind, nothing to see here

gjaustin on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular

The counterargument to that is how the Charleston shooting got the Confederate Flag taken down from government buildings in SC.

Leaving out the specifics of the shooter's motivation would have most likely prevented that.
    This is an interesting point, but I think we can have the "best" of both worlds. People will still read the manifestos, that is a given. If there is some social utility to be gained from talking about parts of them, they will be talked about. I mean, I haven't read this guy's, Roof's, or Rodger's manifestos and yet I don't feel I am uninformed.

Publicizing them does not appear to be necessary.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

Eh, maybe let's not go that far.

• Options

This is an interesting point, but I think we can have the "best" of both worlds. People will still read the manifestos, that is a given. If there is some social utility to be gained from talking about parts of them, they will be talked about. I mean, I haven't read this guy's, Roof's, or Rodger's manifestos and yet I don't feel I am uninformed.

So would a good compromise be making them available, but not quoting them directly on news programs?

I could get behind that.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Eh, maybe let's not go that far.

They don't. Dead people in the U.S. don't have any rights.

• Options

So would a good compromise be making them available, but not quoting them directly on news programs?

I could get behind that.
    I wouldn't even say they need to be made (easily) available (maybe via a FOIA request or something).

Anybody who really wants to/distrusts the "official" story will still be able to find them.