Options

[steam] where overly specific genres come to life.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    In case anyone who's not got (and isn't planning on playing, at least soon) MGS5 wants to know about just how awesomely bonkers that first hour is, RPS have a play diary thing up by someone not fully clued in on MGS. It's a great little read. Spoilers abound for that first hour.

And no, it doesn't make a ton more sense (yet) to an MGS veteran...

Well, having read that, now I'm not sure of anything.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »
    In case anyone who's not got (and isn't planning on playing, at least soon) MGS5 wants to know about just how awesomely bonkers that first hour is, RPS have a play diary thing up by someone not fully clued in on MGS. It's a great little read. Spoilers abound for that first hour.

Well, having read that, now I'm not sure of anything.

Seriously,
    a whale was set on fire and thrown at a helicopter.

No lie.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

This gives me an idea for a charity incentive: clueless me playing through a game in a series I've never touched before, with commentary.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »
    Meanwhile, in the world of people who are distinctly not playing Mad Max, FF XIV has gotten quite good. I wasn't having a ton of fun as a lancer so I started a new character as an arcanist the weekend before last (thanks to destroyah87 for the suggestion) and have been enjoying the hell out of that. I rarely have much luck with casters in fantasy games, but this one seems to suit me. Also, it has an adorable summons. +1 for that. :D

Oddly, Arcanist is the class that drove me away from playing the game the first time I tried it. Adorable summons but the gameplay felt soooooooooooooooooooo boring. I felt like I was hitting the same combination of buttons no matter what situation I was in.

At early levels, you just described every class in FFxiv*

*and most any mmo I can think of, for that matter.

Still, you're not wrong. Though, as long as that situation doesn't perist all the way to level cap, I almost like that type of gameplay. Makes it interesting to see if I can hit the combination of buttons better/faster/sooner. How many mobs can I go through and keep the combination rolling, either simultaneous or in sequence.

Glad you're having fun with Arcanist, Pixie.

ACN does kind of persist that way to level cap though. Ruin and Bio spam all day. I went THM/BLM so I'd at least need to pay attention to things like mana, timers, and stacks of Astral/Etheral while rotating spells.

If memory serves, it's less awful on the SCH side in dungeons. SUM is more of the same though.

Also, SCH can pull out a pink fairy with buff/debuffs iirc.

Depends a little bit on the dungeon. Lower-level stuff I've literally seen SCH just /follow the tank and the fairy does the heavy lifting. Later on there seems to be a lot more micro involved, while still throwing down the core trio of dots in between healing. Compared to BLM, SMN does get a lot more situational tools; SMN raise has saved many a party's ass when a healer took one too many hits, and I've stepped in with a tank pet more than once.

That said, I'm still quite fond of BLM. Lot of on-the-fly math involved in keeping damage going, trying to predict how many seconds you have before Boss X does Move Y and whether you can get Spell Z off before it does. It's a simple rotation but everybody does it a little bit differently, finding the right moments to weave in a cooldown or recast thunder or something. I love the 50-60 stuff, it adds an interesting new buff that has to be managed alongside your normal fire/ice timers.

Love running a dungeon with SMN as the other DPS, shit just melts.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

This gives me an idea for a charity incentive: clueless me playing through a game in a series I've never touched before, with commentary.

It's times like this that make me realise just how much of a shame it is that Metal Gear Solid 2 isn't on Steam.

I'd pay good money to see a series newcomer trying to play through the final chapter of that.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

It's times like this that make me realise just how much of a shame it is that Metal Gear Solid 2 isn't on Steam.

I'd pay good money to see a series newcomer trying to play through the final chapter of that.

The only problem is that the PC port of that game was super broken, even at release. It's probably not worth anyone's time to up the original version save for a remastered version or what-have-you.

Oh, and the fact that Komani is Konami.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    http://www.battlechasers.com/

Battle Chasers website's been updated with some gameplay footage. This is from Joe Mads, the creative lead behind Darksiders, and based upon his infamously slow to come out comic book. It appears to be an isometric RPG, though not in the sense of many of them. Encountering enemies transitions to a JRPGish turn based battle encounter.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Not that I trust Kotaku as far as I can swing a dead cat (or something), but I am very surprised at their negative Mad Max review. I for sure get some of their points...there's some quality of life issues that are sort of boggling. Having to manually pickup scrap, and the jump button (nearly worthless) being left trigger while 'climb' is the A button, and stuff like that are all weird decisions to me, I'd certainly not tell a person not to play it over those.

EDIT - I will grant them that they've played a lot more than I have. I hope, at least, since they reviewed it. All of the stuff I've seen might grow tiresome, but right now I'm greatly enjoying it.

vamen on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

Not just Metal Gear. I have missed many a popular series, and not just in games.

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

Battle Chasers website's been updated with some gameplay footage. This is from Joe Mads, the creative lead behind Darksiders, and based upon his infamously slow to come out comic book. It appears to be an isometric RPG, though not in the sense of many of them. Encountering enemies transitions to a JRPGish turn based battle encounter.

Bruh...

I want it.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options

Bruh...

I want it.

That looks riiiiight up my alley. Is it sad that I was sold the SECOND I loaded the site and it shows the battle scene for a second? Because I totally was.

• Options
    ksh4lqfm0tun.png

Skype gave up the ghost. Thanks @CorriganX !

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

That looks a lot like Torchlight. I wonder if there's some same art guys involved or if it is just a coincidense?

• Options
    Mirkel wrote: »

That looks a lot like Torchlight. I wonder if there's some same art guys involved or if it is just a coincidense?

I'd say it's more that Torchlight and some other games have drew inspiration from Joe Mads over time (and possibly the same stuff he was inspired by). Sort of like how Blizzard cribbed a lot of Warhammer.

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    vamen wrote: »

Bruh...

I want it.

That looks riiiiight up my alley. Is it sad that I was sold the SECOND I loaded the site and it shows the battle scene for a second? Because I totally was.

Same here

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    @Corpekata

Thanks for the classy out-of-the-blue gift of Ronin.

Wait, Why does the store page show a dude in a motorcycle outfit?

is this not about a Warring States era ronin?

• Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    $75 for Phantom Pain in Canada ?!?!?!?

That's more than a phantom pain, that's gonna really hurt!

X1qmHiP.jpg

Excision on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Excision wrote: »
    $75 for Phantom Pain in Canada ?!?!?!?

That's more than a phantom pain, that's gonna really hurt!

X1qmHiP.jpg

For much is that in Timbits?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    @Corpekata

Thanks for the classy out-of-the-blue gift of Ronin.

Wait, Why does the store page show a dude in a motorcycle outfit?

is this not about a Warring States era ronin?

It's the beautiful child of Gun Point and Mark of the Ninja. I think of it as a turn based combat puzzler.

It is my current gaming one more turn crack.

Also, that's not a dude.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    @Antoshka being scrappy.
    hz80hnmfn3sq.jpg
    Thank you!

This looks just like something I'd like.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    I played some of the beta of the Flame in the Flood and its pretty Fun for a survival roguelike. Definitely keep your eye on this one.

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Classiness always finds you.

HJiBgCO.png

Thanks @Heatwave for Her Story!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    BTW, have to give a bit of a plug for Armello. I played it briefly at PAX and it's a delightful board/card game hybrid with gorgeous art.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    If anyone wants to see how Mad Max plays, I'm streaming a bit right now to show a RL friend who is on the fence about it.

• Options
    PimsyPimsy Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Speaking of Armello...
    signature.png
    I've had a lot of fun with it since I won the game from a Twitch.tv giveaway made by the League of Geeks(the developers), and now I'm returning the favor for you guys. You try to become the next king or queen of Armello by moving around a board, rolling dice, playing cards, doing quests for stats, killing players and eventually the king (if he doesn't die by himself). I even got to play against the developers on a different twitch stream!

Pimsy on
  • Options
    Mad Max is giving me a lot of Red Faction Guerilla vibes. Not as random destruction focused, obviously, but just the general way the game is designed and the desert atmosphere.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Armello is awesome and everyone should enter that give-away!!

*back to the shadows*

• Options
    Mad Max is giving me a lot of Red Faction Guerilla vibes. Not as random destruction focused, obviously, but just the general way the game is designed and the desert atmosphere.

That is high praise imo. That sure was a fun game.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Ooh, I didn't know (or remember) that Armello had come out of early access. Sweet.

Now if I could just stop playing Runestone Keeper and Card Hunter...

EDIT: Oh snap, Armello came out of EA today. No wonder I hadn't known.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Ooh, I didn't know (or remember) that Armello had come out of early access. Sweet.

Now if I could just stop playing Runestone Keeper and Card Hunter...

EDIT: Oh snap, Armello came out of EA today. No wonder I hadn't known.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold the phone. An RPG with cards in the way of the Sacred Card Hunter? This I gotta see

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I forgot to take a screenshot, but it wouldn't help since the steam chat is important, but thanks to @destroyah87 for Phantom Pain.

This is why I won't give out my address to you people. I fully expect I'd see a mattress delivery within a week.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Just a reminder:
    signature.png

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/k-bg0YqwfE0

Armello? Armello.

All that resident evil talk made me think of dino crisis and how insane that got with the sequels.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Armello always makes me think of some sort of chewy candy.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So language learning "game" Influent and the subsequent DLC language packs are pretty cheap on Humble. It seems like a bunch of people here have it, so is it any good? I think the last time I thought about getting this, the scuttlebutt was that the game wasn't super great in terms of teaching you how to say sentences. It just teaches you the words for common household items, like Dora the Explorer levels of vocabulary. If so, I don't think that's what I'm looking for.

I already know how to say "apple" in Spanish, dammit. I need to know how to ask how much the apple costs at the store!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I have beaten Metal Gear Rising: REVENGEANCE! It's possibly the most metal game I've ever witnessed. The first ten minutes has you using an katana to fight a mech the size of a house, and it only escalates from there. I thought I was fighting the final boss multiple times before the actual final boss happened. Ten out of ten, it's perfect.

R8Aca1vl.jpg

Behold my ineptitude at Platinum fighting games!

...wait. I'm missing story achievements. THERE'S A BLADEWOLF CAMPAIGN?! I can play as the terrifying quadrupedal sidekick?! Eleven out of ten!

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    So Playing History: Slave Trade 2, made it to steam, and people were offended by slave tetris so the company took it out.

I think the company missed the point.

You remember when greenlight was first announced and we got 9/11 terror attack simulators?

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    This may be better suited for the computer build thread, but I am planning out what to do with some old hardware I have laying around from various upgrades I have done. One of my considerations is to drop Ubuntu (or some form of Linux) onto it and mess around with that again since I haven't in years and possibly trying to get steam setup there.

Are the games marked on the steam store as Linux/steamos natively supported or is the assumption that everything runs in wine/playonlinux or something along those lines?

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    This may be better suited for the computer build thread, but I am planning out what to do with some old hardware I have laying around from various upgrades I have done. One of my considerations is to drop Ubuntu (or some form of Linux) onto it and mess around with that again since I haven't in years and possibly trying to get steam setup there.

Are the games marked on the steam store as Linux/steamos natively supported or is the assumption that everything runs in wine/playonlinux or something along those lines?

@WingedWeasel I have only dabbled a little bit but as far as I understand it, if it says it is Linux/SteamOS compatible, then it installs and runs natively although there may be some instances where it runs through an emulator or something such as DOSBox. In those cases, I would assume that they are included with the download and installation.

The main thing I tried was Borderlands 2 which runs natively

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
This discussion has been closed.