Options

The greatest anime films

FoodFood Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So I've never really been a big anime guy. Sure, I enjoy Cowboy Bebop, and Spirited Away has always been a favorite of mine, but other than that I've kind of avoided the genre. Then, last night I saw Akira and was pretty blown away. I now suddenly realize that there's a whole genre of classic films that I haven't even scratched the surface of. The only problem is I know next to nothing about it.

The reason I started this thread is to learn what anime movies are generally regarded as the masterpieces of the genre. Seeing as this is D&D, you guys can debate about which movies are true classics and I'll just sit back, watch the ones that come up the most and profit!

Food on

• Options
    TankTank Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Some of my favorite anime films are R.O.D. (Read Or Die) and Lupin the 3rd: Castle of Cagliostro. You might want to check out the Full Metal Alchemist series too.

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MertzyMertzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Steamboy

Mertzy on
    THE END.
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I guess some of the greats ought to get named first.

Ghost in the Shell - Bizarre, but cool movie. Really slow in places, but mind blowing in others. Stand Alone Complex is quite awesome and may in fact be better than the movie.

Grave of the Fireflies - Amazing. Be prepared to be really depressed.

Ninja Scroll - Over the top ridiculous, but in a really endearing way. It really helps if you are 13 when you see it for the first time though.

Perfect Blue - Really cool, head-trippy, murder mystery. One review called it Hitchcock meets Disney and I'm inclined to agree.

I know I'll think of several more.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Spirited Away is my favorite movie, in general. Hayao Miyazaki's entire catalog is pretty damn good, really.

Ghost in the Shell has an excellent atmosphere, but it's slightly incoherent. It could have stood to have a few more scenes with a bit better editing.

Grave of the Fireflies is excellent, but yes, it is incredibly sad.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    itylusitylus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If you like Spirited Away, you'll probably like just about everything from Miyazaki. They can seem a bit "same-y" if you watch them too close together (a spirited young girl, in difficult circumstances, finds help from some unlikely allies, you say? Well I never!) but they're all beautiful and really well done.

"Princess Mononoke" is a fantastic film, and, shock-horror, actually manages to be a more nuanced and balanced film about the pros and cons of the industrialisation/environmentalism debate than anything else I've ever seen on the subject.

itylus on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The greatest anime films
    itylus wrote: »
    everything from Miyazaki

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    To be honest I'm not a big fan of anime, hell-I actually dislike most of it but I have found a few that I really really enjoy. Pretty much anything from the already mentioned Miyazaki, Jin-Roh, and Neon Genesis: Evangelion. Aside from that...yeah, I don't like any of it honestly.

Crayon on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2007
    Tank wrote: »
    Some of my favorite anime films are R.O.D. (Read Or Die) and Lupin the 3rd: Castle of Cagliostro. You might want to check out the Full Metal Alchemist series too.

RoD wasn't a movie and the FMA movie is godawful fanservice. I guess it does wrap up the existing series, but it's still 90% shameless cash-in.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Giant Robo is more of a miniseries, but it's still excellent. It's not exactly deep by any means, but it's the deepest goofy action anime you'll ever see.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ghost in the Shell and Grave of the Fireflies have already been mentioned.

I'll throw Metropolis out there as well.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Vampire Hunter D is pretty good, as is the sequel.

Appleseed is also a decent flick.

I remember a lot of good anime movies that used to come on the sci-fi channel like ten or fifteen years ago during this thing they called Saturday Anime, in the mornings... I can't remember them off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone here can.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tokyo Godfathers you fools!

Note: View only if you want something serious and awesome.

Most of the recommendations in this thread are spot on, except Neon Genesis Evangelion. Don't watch it, especially not the movies.

Of Miyazaki I'd have to especially recommend Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle. The dub on Howl's Moving Castle is simply fantastic, it has Christian Bale!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Princess Mononoke is easily one of my favorite movies ever.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh, I also liked Jin-Roh alot. Though, it is part of a larger work, I still really liked it.

I never hear people mention it though, so it's other obscure/disliked by most.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I can't believe this wasn't in the first reply.

Akira.

You want to know why anime started to be regarded in the United States as something more than a novelty? There's your answer. The film was, quite literally, about fifteen years ahead of its time. If anime has a required viewing, Akira is definitely it.

Miyazaki-wise, I love the hell out of Princess Mononoke. Goddamned fantastic movie.

I also really encourage you to watch the 27 episode series Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. It's actually very recent and I've never seen a series so aptly show why people like giant robot television shows. Gurenn Lagann is, essentially, everything that's right with anime.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lupin the 3rd: Castle of Cagliostro was directed by Miyazaki, so it is amazing.

The "problem" with Jin-Roh is that it is almost four hours long and, being a character piece, makes it difficult for a lot of people to pay attention to it the whole way through. But those who have watched it and have paid attention have loved it- even some people I know who despise anime.

I've been meaning for a long time to watch it again, but I just never find the time for it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Hmm, the Jin Roh I remember seeing is 105 minutes in length, and a quick google search backs me up on this.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Akira.

You want to know why anime started to be regarded in the United States as something more than a novelty? There's your answer. The film was, quite literally, about fifteen years ahead of its time. If anime has a required viewing, Akira is definitely it./QUOTE]

That's because Akira was mentioned in the original post. ;-)

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Hmm, the Jin Roh I remember seeing is 105 minutes in length, and a quick google search backs me up on this.

Looking on the back of my DVD, it is 162 minutes long.

It's nearly three hours.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You can't go wrong with Miyazaki.

Disney also do stellar dub work.

In some sort of order: Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, Nausicca, Whisper of the Heart, Porco Rosso.

Read or Die is good(if that counts), as are both Vampire Hunter Ds.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well you've already seen Akira, so read the manga. No, seriously read the fucking thing.

I would recommend:

Memories. It's three short films in one! First one is the best.

You're really going to struggle to find a lot of anime that is as mature and "classic" as Akira or Ghost in the Shell etc. Unfortunately Akira is very much the exception rather than the rule.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Every time one of these threads pops up, I feel the need to throw in The Cat Returns which is my favorite animated film of all time, at least for the time being.

It's one of the few awesome Ghibli films that wasn't made by Miyazaki. It's a sort of sequel to Whisper of the Heart, though it only borrows a few elements; Essentially, the main character of the original film wrote a storybook about a fictional cat character who took this girl along on mystical adventures. This was only a side element that took place near the end of the film, but those parts were so popular that they decided to take the cat character, nicknamed "The Baron" and give him a more prominent role in a new movie. It started off as a short film idea, but it was such a good concept that it became a full 75 minute feature.

The English cast is really amazing, though, with Tim Curry, Peter Boyle, Anne Hathaway, Carey Elwes, Andy Richter, and a few others, all in very appropriate (If not unusual) roles that all of them pull off with extraordinary results.

There's a scene that gives a pretty good example of what you can expect from the film, but it's been taken off of youtube. Fuckers. >=(

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    the first ghost in the shell

Sam on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Akira and Ghost in the Shell are two examples of great films that are far, far outclassed by the respective manga they are based off of.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    PeachstrudlePeachstrudle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Every time one of these threads pops up, I feel the need to throw in The Cat Returns which is my favorite animated film of all time, at least for the time being.

I have to agree, there's just something so awesome about that film.

Has anyone seen Paprika (done by the same guy that did Tokyo Godfathers)? I really want to see it but I don't know if it's worth me just buying it straight out.

Peachstrudle on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Paprika has a really good concept and great visuals. Definitely worth seeing, I wouldn't buy it, but then personally the only anime I'd buy apart from Miyazaki films is Ghost in the Shell or Cowboy Bebop.

Sam on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Macross Plus is a very good mini-series.

Falx on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Macross Plus ftw.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Paprika is such an acid trip, but it's really, really clever, and gorgeous, too.

Vampire Hunter D's story is better than its sequel's, but Bloodlust is just so stunning with its visuals that I'd rank them about the same.

There's an anime fan society that makes parody anime movies... they're hard to find, but so funny. The best of them, Fanboy Bebop, actually has a coherant storyline and is quite ingenious.

I'm probably going to take some flak for this, but the first Urotsukidōji: Legend of the Overfiend was actually pretty good anime. While still hardcore, it lacked much of the exploitation of later titles and was actually stand-alone (the sequels assume the first movie's ending didn't happen).

Wings of Honneamise was one of my early favorites. I even gave it to my (at the time) preteen sister, forgetting about the rape scene... whoops. Mom was pissed at me for that one. Regardless, I'd never seen anything like it... the rocket launching was one of the most beautiful things I'd seen on a movie screen.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Macross Plus is hardcore awesome.

But then I think that of anything with an insane AI.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ++ on Tokyo Godfathers. Actually, anything by that director is pretty good from what I've seen. He brought us Perfect Blue. Millenium Actress is another one of his works, and he did the series Paranoia Agent, which is pretty head trippy and awesome. It's only about 12 episodes.

FLCL is great. It's really short, so you could just watch it in one 3 hour sitting like a movie, but that might be too much concentrated weird.

As regards The Cat Returns, I believe that was made by the guy Miyazaki and Takahata were grooming to be their successor when they retired, but he had a sudden and completely unexpected heart attack or something.

Go watch Princess Mononoke. It is beautiful and an easily in my top 3 favorite movies ever. The English dub is pretty good, if for no other reason than Lady Eboshi has a super sexy voice.

EDIT: <-Moron

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    well if we're going for short series I'd have to suggest Miami Gun.

It's just full of awesomeness.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kiki's Delivery Service hasn't been mentioned yet.

Shinyo on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »

Akira.

You want to know why anime started to be regarded in the United States as something more than a novelty? There's your answer. The film was, quite literally, about fifteen years ahead of its time. If anime has a required viewing, Akira is definitely it./QUOTE]

That's because Akira was mentioned in the original post. ;-)

Hey, he can watch it again. >.>

Steamboy was recommended, and IIRC it was directed by the same guy that directed Akira.

The Hellsing OVA series, also called Hellsing Ultimate, is another fantastic series. 4 movies, each about an hour and a half long, with some of the best gothic animation I've ever seen.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Steamboy was recommended, and IIRC it was directed by the same guy that directed Akira.
    And that's why they were both the most expensive anime ever made. Also Steamboy is just a heck of a lot of fun. I've seen it maybe 4 times.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Grave of the Fireflies x1000

Muramasa18 on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I remember a lot of good anime movies that used to come on the sci-fi channel like ten or fifteen years ago during this thing they called Saturday Anime, in the mornings... I can't remember them off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone here can.

I think I saw a flic on there called "Eyes of Mars" that was pretty good. There was also a movie about some space train.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Little-discussed Ghibli film (and one of the few not directed by Miyazaki): Omoide Poroporo, aka Only Yesterday. Loved that movie.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gihgehls wrote: »

I think I saw a flic on there called "Eyes of Mars" that was pretty good. There was also a movie about some space train.

I remember that movie and the train movie was Galaxy Express 999 (which i liked but i'm a fan of Matsumoto's work)

Most of the films i would recommend have already been mentioned such as Akira and the Miyazaki films.

BigJoeM on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I need to see Grave of the Fireflies. Every time this topic comes up it's mentioned.

I'm gonna throw out a warning about Perfect Blue, though. That movie was all kinds of fucked up. I didn't really enjoy it because I thought it was kinda gimmicky, but if you get into the main character (I didn't) I guess it would work.

A lot of my anime recommendations for movies have already been said, so I'll go to the serial recommendations. The good thing about these is they are self contained stories that have a beginning and an end (Usually in 26 episodes).

Trigun - probably my favorite anime ever, although that's a hard one to lock down. A sci-fi/western cross with a fantastic sense of humor.
    Hellsing - Excellent vampire storytelling.
    Noir - Gets a little repetitive at times, but excellent assassin story.
    Gunsmith Cats - Only three episodes were ever made, but if you can find it (My VHS copy went missing long ago and I've never seen it on DVD) it is fan-fucking-tastic.

Nova_C on