As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lets Play] Half-Life - Interlope Gonarch's Lair in Xen to find Nihilanth (MMAN Vids)

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The duck around double shotgun trick works because you pop out, do the double blast, then while the shotgun is recovering for a second double blast, you go behind the cover and come out again.

It's not amazing, I played half-life 1 through probably 20 odd times when I first got it. I loved that game so hard.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Questionable Ethics:
    Well, what can I say? It's questionable?

QuestionableEthics001.jpg
    Questionable or not, I want to be prepared. With my whole 4 bullets.

QuestionableEthics003.jpg
    Someone let loose the dogs of war. Or Sonic the alien hog. Either way, I'm not happy to see them waiting for me.

QuestionableEthics004.jpg
    Aliens > 4 = Bullets = 0
    Time for trusty Mr. Crowbar!
    There's one thing (hah!) that doesn't make sense though. How did they transport them in these dog crates? They attack with sonic shockwaves, which I would imagine would be enough to either break the crate or at least harm whoever was carrying them.

QuestionableEthics005.jpg
    Ammo! And electricity.

QuestionableEthics006.jpg
    Don't wizz on the electric fence.

QuestionableEthics007.jpg
    I think by this point we've moved beyond "first aid". We're on "hundreth aid".

QuestionableEthics008.jpg
    I'm very happy though. I've gone from crawling in waste to a nice, clean laboratory setting. This is much more acceptable.

QuestionableEthics009.jpg
    I take back what I said. Give me waste anyday over this thing!

QuestionableEthics011.jpg
    In case of emergency, or alien invasion, break glass? I'm up for anything, let's try it! What's the worst that could happen?

QuestionableEthics012.jpg
    oh
    (can you guys see these pictures ok? They seem really dark on my monitor and I don't remember them being that dark while playing either. Perhaps the lights were flickering and I happened to capture the millisecond that it was dark.)

QuestionableEthics013.jpg
    If you can't see, he's dead. Not before soaking up most of my ammo though..

QuestionableEthics014.jpg
    Ok, yeah, I will take this over sewage.

QuestionableEthics015.jpg
    What exactly were they doing around here? The aliens only recently arrived. Right? Who was conducting these experiments? Where did they go? Did they capture these aliens before everything happened?

QuestionableEthics016.jpg
    Like dolphins in tuna nets. Ha ha!
    (I do not condone the use of non-dolphin-friendly tuna nets. However, if dolphins are so smart, they really need to learn to go around.)

QuestionableEthics017.jpg
    Another button that I simply cannot refuse to push. I'm a sucker for these things!

QuestionableEthics018.jpg
    This is looking better already!

QuestionableEthics019.jpg
    Can I get one of those in a hand-held version?

QuestionableEthics021.jpg
    I am so not cleaning that up.

QuestionableEthics022.jpg
    A gun and ammo! Score!

QuestionableEthics023.jpg
    At this point marines started to, almost consistently, drop grenades upon their death. I don't know if this is some sort of "honor" ritual, but it's annoying and just is messy.

QuestionableEthics024.jpg
    "Hey, it's no good up there. It's all locked down with scanner access and we can't get out. I'm sure there are some scientists hiding around that might have access and can let us out!"
    Good idea, Frank!

QuestionableEthics025.jpg
    I fear no marine!

QuestionableEthics026.jpg
    However, when you run ahead of me like that, sure, you're going to get shot up pretty bad. RIP Frank. :(

QuestionableEthics027.jpg
    Ha! Weren't expecting a scientist were ya!

QuestionableEthics028.jpg
    A front door?! Sweet! I can finally get out of here! It all seems a bit too simple though..

QuestionableEthics029.jpg
    Yeah, it was locked, of course. Frank tells no lies. Time to find a way around.

QuestionableEthics030.jpg
    Think they're trying to warn me of something?

QuestionableEthics031.jpg
    Oh, more marines. They go down much easier once you get some decent weapons! And ammo.

QuestionableEthics033.jpg
    Wonderful, more explosives. Seriously, this is starting to get annoying.

QuestionableEthics034.jpg
    I'm slightly frightened of this room. I'm not quite sure why yet.

QuestionableEthics035.jpg
    Remember those buttons I can't resist pushing? I'm so sorry, but I pushed it again.

QuestionableEthics037.jpg
    Fortunately the marines decided that protecting their own lives from aliens is more important than killing me. :)

QuestionableEthics039.jpg
    Yes, I said alienS. There's a second one over here picking off marines.

QuestionableEthics040.jpg
    The battle is quite fierce!

QuestionableEthics041.jpg
    Aliens: 3 Marines: 0
    At least the aliens are hurt though and go down pretty quickly.

QuestionableEthics043.jpg
    There are still 2 of them though.

QuestionableEthics044.jpg
    Like I said, easy. :D

QuestionableEthics045.jpg
    This coward was hiding around the corner. I took care of him.

QuestionableEthics046.jpg
    This has already been more dangerous with enemies than all of Residue Processing. Just no jumping across pools of sludge.

QuestionableEthics048.jpg
    This guy got the drop on me, attacking from behind. Unfortunately for him I have reflexes like a cat in this suit!

QuestionableEthics049.jpg
    I never like seeing blood BEFORE I open a door.

QuestionableEthics050.jpg
    Those arms with blades on them are spinning around the room. Whoever died in here, it was NOT pretty. Fortunately the door is locked, so I won't have bother with avoiding that death trap.

QuestionableEthics051.jpg
    More aliens in cages. I'm really starting to suspect that some of these things were here BEFORE this morning.

QuestionableEthics052.jpg
    Once again, the cages break. Never underestimate an alien headcrab!

QuestionableEthics053.jpg
    I've looped around to the front door again. I must have missed something.

QuestionableEthics054.jpg
    Ah! Here's some more stairs.

QuestionableEthics055.jpg
    Another battle that I don't have to be involved in until later. I'm starting to like these!

QuestionableEthics058.jpg
    Cleaning up the leftovers.

QuestionableEthics059.jpg
    Hmm, my mind is starting to move away from "Rambo" mode and into "Scientist" mode. This is interesting and I'm curious what it does.

QuestionableEthics060.jpg
    Whatever it is, I must push the button.

QuestionableEthics061.jpg
    Ooh! Pretty!
    I'm not about to find out if it does damage though or if it's just light.

QuestionableEthics062.jpg
    "Careful with that! Watch where you are shooting! It's a new experimental weapon. Wait! Don't overcharge it!" ::BOOM::

QuestionableEthics063.jpg
    Are you going to need this? No? Don't mind if I do!
    Kids, always check with skeletons before you take their stuff! They can hold a grudge against thieves.

QuestionableEthics064.jpg
    With 2 lasers activated, I have 1 beam coming into here. Doesn't seem to do anything though.

QuestionableEthics065.jpg
    Ah, more lasers.

QuestionableEthics067.jpg
    Guarded lasers.

QuestionableEthics068.jpg
    Well that's the last of them. Let's see what's going on now.

QuestionableEthics069.jpg
    1+1+1+1 = 2?

QuestionableEthics070.jpg
    With this blast shield on I can't see a thing!

QuestionableEthics071.jpg
    If there's a thin piece of metal that can block a super laser, why not just build stuff out of it and then this weapon is pointless! I'll never understand the military. They hire us, they shoot us, they build lasers than can be blocked..

QuestionableEthics073.jpg
    Remember what I said about warning signs? Yeah, I'm doing exactly what it says not to. If they were smart, they would have put a switch on the floor or wall here to designate that the shield was fully lowered. Or just kept the shield in place and not made it retractable. I'm fortunate, I guess, that they were not this smart.

QuestionableEthics074.jpg
    BZZT!
    Seems like a pretty weak laser..

QuestionableEthics075.jpg
    Nevermind.

QuestionableEthics076.jpg
    Is it a trap?

QuestionableEthics078.jpg
    Nope. Scientists!
    "Another scientist! Thank goodness! Listen, you have to help get us out of here before the military drones find out where we are hiding! We have access to the front door if you can help get us to the lobby!"

QuestionableEthics080.jpg
    "One of our colleagues activated this to keep the aliens and military out, he didn't make it back before it started up though."

QuestionableEthics081.jpg
    "I'm telling you, it's hell out there. The military is all over the surface. You will have to hop from one dangerous area to another. If you get far enough, though, you will reach the Lambda complex. I wouldn't go myself though, too dangerous.

QuestionableEthics082.jpg
    Oh, I'm authorized.

QuestionableEthics083.jpg
    Ever just want to go around and around in circles in these things? No? Uh, me either.

QuestionableEthics084.jpg
    Yay! The outdoors!

QuestionableEthics085.jpg
    VERY questionable ethics. That's just sad, really.

QuestionableEthics086.jpg
    Ow! I hate those turrets.

QuestionableEthics087.jpg
    Hmm, explosive crates and barrels, all together. Yes please!

QuestionableEthics088.jpg
    The next complex. Not nearly as inviting as a glass rotating door, but it'll do.

Well, my journey continues. You think that was rough? The tension on the surface just gets worse and worse in the next episode of Half Life: Surface Tension!

(I should be able to get Surface Tension up tomorrow, but I have 254 screenshots of that section so it may take a while for me to get them all commented on! Some are duplicates, but I could still reasonably have 200+ shots in the next update. So I apologize if it doesn't get updated as quickly as I have been.)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Awesome stuff man. I was thinking... if you are having problems timing your screenshots, you could consider binding the screenshot command to a mouse button or a key closer to your movement controls. It might be too late but I thought I would throw that out there.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Questionable Ethics was a cool level if I remember right. I remember having a good laugh when you hear the scientist explaining the gauss gun and then him dying.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    Awesome stuff man. I was thinking... if you are having problems timing your screenshots, you could consider binding the screenshot command to a mouse button or a key closer to your movement controls. It might be too late but I thought I would throw that out there.

I suppose that would make the most sense. Only keys my program allows are Printscreen, or the F-keys alone or with Ctrl or Shift. I thought about making it F2 or something, but just never followed through. I'll see if the F-keys are anything important and if I can reset them to Printscreen. That would allow me to take faster shots for the important sections. Fortunately I'll sometimes just reload that section and be ready for it when I approach again.

KungFu wrote: »
    Questionable Ethics was a cool level if I remember right. I remember having a good laugh when you hear the scientist explaining the gauss gun and then him dying.

Why do they never build in limits to guns you can charge? :D That would be logical to me.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Surface Tension (warning, this is going to be a HUGE spoiler)
    SurfaceTension001.jpg
    So I have fled the experimental labs and am trying to reach the Lambda complex. Apparently I am not taking the route less traveled as I was advised earlier to do, as I have left the sewage treatment plant and now I am just cruising across the surface.

SurfaceTension002.jpg
    I am quickly greeted by a trio of marines waiting for me. They were waiting behind some barrels, which quickly led to their gruesome demise.

SurfaceTension004.jpg
    That's just gross.

SurfaceTension005.jpg
    A bridge (dam, actually). Nothing like a narrow path to really put you out in the open.

SurfaceTension006.jpg
    Oh, a helicopter! This is going to be just dandy!

SurfaceTension007.jpg
    Staying out of the sights of a helicopter gun is quite difficult, but fortunately the pilot doesn't know how to hover so they keep strafing the area like a jet. I've successfully made it to the other side but it looks like I can't get in this way.

SurfaceTension008.jpg
    Just before I started to cross the helicopter blew up the bridge leading to that tower. I bet the controls to get me in are in there.

SurfaceTension010.jpg
    After finding that there is a ladder leading from the water to the tower, I perform a beautiful reverse one and a half somersaults with three and a half twists, in the Free position dive and climb up the ladder.
    The helicopter knows I'm here, but so far hasn't been able to keep their sights on me.

SurfaceTension011.jpg
    Rather than opening the door, it appears that I will have to enter through the dam. At least it isn't sewage.

SurfaceTension012.jpg
    Even though I've turned off the turbines, I have to open the grates, wasting more oxygen than I would like.

SurfaceTension014.jpg
    Funny story, I opened the grates and swam through, and my game kept glitching up on me. Did it maybe 3 times before I finally got around it. The first time the helicopter had actually killed this thing in its strafing runs and I didn't need to worry about it. The second and third and fourth times, however, it was NOT dead. Totally took me by surprise! So beware! The waters are hazardous!

SurfaceTension013.jpg
    That helicopter is starting to get on my nerves!

SurfaceTension017.jpg
    Swimming down the stream, hoping not to get shot up by that helicopter.

SurfaceTension018.jpg
    I love crawling down these drainage pipes!

SurfaceTension019.jpg
    I think I may have actually gotten away from the helicopter. It hasn't made a shot in a while, and I've been trying to stay out of view.

SurfaceTension021.jpg
    I've climbed a ladder and now am standing on a ledge. That helicopter just won't give up!

SurfaceTension022.jpg
    Storm Drain Hatch ->
    Sounds promising!

SurfaceTension023.jpg
    That's not a hatch! That's a valve control! Ugh, guess the hatch is somewhere else and NOT labeled.

SurfaceTension024.jpg
    I've discovered a lot of small crevices containing ammunition and first aid kits. They also are great for getting away from the strafing runs of the helicopter. If you stand still too long in this area you are a dead man.

SurfaceTension025.jpg
    Oh, and the helicopter isn't the only thing after you, headcrabs and marines are out and about as well.

SurfaceTension027.jpg
    Wonderful, another tentacle. I don't have a test rocket this time either. Fortunately it doesn't have any ranged attacks and there's not much near it worth risking your life for. That and crouching makes you practically invisible to it.

SurfaceTension029.jpg
    No, I don't think we'll find any dwarves.

SurfaceTension030.jpg
    I've never seen one of those before! Hmm, what is it? I can't shoot it. I can't blow it up. It just won't die!

SurfaceTension031.jpg
    Awww, who's the cute little fella!? That's right, you are! Want my finger? Haha, can't have it.

SurfaceTension032.jpg
    Headcrabs like to ambush you while you are trying to avoid this monster. Shooting your gun is not recommended.

SurfaceTension034.jpg
    Deciding the safest route is along the edges seems to have been one of my better decisions.

SurfaceTension035.jpg
    Unfortunately I am wide open as well. Die by helicopter? Die by mine? Decisions, decisions!

SurfaceTension036.jpg
    Avoiding mines and the helicopter and marines I find the hatch! I didn't even have to use 19th century dynamite to blow it up either! I hope there's no crazy nutjob inside either. Though a shower and laundry sounds good about now. This suit has been picking up the scent of everything I've crawled through.. :(

SurfaceTension037.jpg
    Down the hatch!

SurfaceTension038.jpg
    Wow, roomy!

SurfaceTension039.jpg
    Hello, my name is Alice. And this, is Wonderland!

SurfaceTension040.jpg
    Wow! Now that is a beautiful sight!

SurfaceTension041.jpg
    And that is not. Oh, and apparently bullets don't shoot that far.

SurfaceTension042.jpg
    Or lasers.

SurfaceTension043.jpg
    They do shoot this far though.

SurfaceTension044.jpg
    I was thrilled to find a way inside! Only to find that it's just a storage shed and doesn't actually go anywhere. I will say that Black Mesa was ready for anything!

SurfaceTension045.jpg
    However, ready for anything means they stock this lovely little item. I'll take 3 please!

SurfaceTension046.jpg
    I hear the sound of chopper blades. Wait a second! Rocket beats Chopper! Fire!

SurfaceTension047.jpg
    Hasta la vista, baby!

SurfaceTension048.jpg
    SurfaceTension049.jpg

SurfaceTension050.jpg
    With that out of the way, I can continue in peace.

SurfaceTension052.jpg
    Huh, who knew Black Mesa actually IS on a mesa?

SurfaceTension053.jpg
    Ow! Freaking headcrab! I was enjoying the view!

SurfaceTension054.jpg
    So is this becoming a familiar sight yet?

SurfaceTension055.jpg
    WHOAH! This is not a familiar sight! I killed a few marines and heard ::BOOM:: behind me, only to see this thing trying to put me in its sights!

SurfaceTension056.jpg
    Oohh, more rockets!

SurfaceTension057.jpg
    Unfortunately they do nothing against the tank. :(

SurfaceTension058.jpg
    Throwing grenades under it doesn't work either!

SurfaceTension059.jpg
    I'm such a tease. Gunner can't turn the turret too far left or right, or hit me if I'm too close. :D

SurfaceTension060.jpg
    He'll try though! It's like he's hoping I'm just going to pop up and stick my head in the way or something.

SurfaceTension062.jpg
    Can't get him from above either. What in the world do I do with this thing?!

SurfaceTension064.jpg
    Oohh, you get him to shoot the door, and then you exit! Come on, Gordon! Think like a scientist, not a marine!

SurfaceTension065.jpg
    AAAAAAaaaaaahhhhhh!!! Now I know why the scientists did not come with me!

SurfaceTension066.jpg
    Fortunately for me this guys suffers the same limitations as the tank!

SurfaceTension068.jpg
    Let's see, where do I need him to blow up a door?

SurfaceTension070.jpg
    Ah! A wall this time! Whoah, what is that! Alien carrier planes!

SurfaceTension071.jpg
    Hooray for mines!

SurfaceTension072.jpg
    Too.. Many.. Tripmines..

SurfaceTension073.jpg
    Oh come on!

SurfaceTension074.jpg
    "hheelllp meee"
    Wait a minute, I've seen this before in a movie..

SurfaceTension075.jpg
    ::BLAM!:: Ow!

SurfaceTension076.jpg
    Sniper! 12 o'clock! And I'm all out of grenades..

SurfaceTension077.jpg
    hahahahahahaha!! I'm not out of these though!

SurfaceTension078.jpg
    Goodbye!

SurfaceTension080.jpg
    Ordinance Storage Facility? I probably should pay more attention to that sign, but I can't get in, so I won't.

SurfaceTension081.jpg
    Can't get out that way either. Mine didn't blow up the door. :(

SurfaceTension082.jpg
    Door is locked..

SurfaceTension083.jpg
    Oh you have got to be kidding me..

SurfaceTension084.jpg
    ::BLAM!:: Another one!?

SurfaceTension085.jpg
    Eat rocket!

SurfaceTension086.jpg
    I wish they would drop their guns out to me though..

SurfaceTension087.jpg
    After avoiding a few mines, electricity, and climbing a tower, I'm on the roof!

SurfaceTension088.jpg
    A scientist!

SurfaceTension089.jpg
    "I was headed to the lambda complex, or at least until i got here and lost my nerve. Peek through the door and you know what i mean. If you are going to proceed, do so with extreme caution!"

SurfaceTension090.jpg
    Oh you wimp! It's only a few tripmines!

SurfaceTension091.jpg
    Look, you just stand back and shoot them you can blow them up and not get hurt. Then you just walk on through..

Then you hear more and more explosions. And things start to go white. And then you realize, oh yeah, I'm in the ORDINANCE STORAGE FACILITY! IDIOT!

And then, because the programmers take pity on your stupidity, they reload your game for you right before you made that stupid mistake.

Oops.

SurfaceTension092.jpg
    So this time, with careful box placement, you avoid setting off the tripmines. Stupid marines. At least that's over.

SurfaceTension093.jpg
    What the! Oh you have GOT to be kidding me!

SurfaceTension094.jpg
    Who?! Why?! This is unbelievable!

SurfaceTension095.jpg
    How do I get anywhere! This is crazy!

SurfaceTension096.jpg
    Aha! After blowing up a few times, then finding and crawling through a space under some boxes and finding this half-broken box and breaking the other half, I have found a way!

SurfaceTension097.jpg
    Oh, did I mention the headcrabs that are more than willing to set off the mines for you? No? Well, they are.

SurfaceTension098.jpg
    Ooh, a switch! ::BOOOM::

SurfaceTension099.jpg
    Ok, let's try this again, move the box OUT of the way of the mine.

SurfaceTension100.jpg
    Jump onto platform, jump onto box, and don't hit the mines!

SurfaceTension101.jpg
    Success!

SurfaceTension102.jpg
    Away from the death trap!

SurfaceTension103.jpg
    Hello! What have we here?

SurfaceTension104.jpg
    Noted. ::Looks left:: Wait a minute...

SurfaceTension105.jpg
    My very own bee shooter! Sweet! And it recharges! Even better!

SurfaceTension106.jpg
    Oh, hello Doug! Let's go!

SurfaceTension107.jpg
    Run away Doug! Run away!

SurfaceTension108.jpg
    Bees can go around corners. :D Yes sir, I like it!

SurfaceTension109.jpg
    Hope you're not allergic!

SurfaceTension110.jpg
    In hindsight, in a firefight, don't use explosive boxes as cover.

SurfaceTension113.jpg
    Doug! NOOOOOoooo!! Stupid turret in the back of the truck!

SurfaceTension114.jpg
    Black marks on walls is usually not a good sign.

SurfaceTension115.jpg
    Great, another wide open exposed area.

SurfaceTension116.jpg
    More alien flyers! Three of those guys!

SurfaceTension117.jpg
    SurfaceTension118.jpg
    SurfaceTension119.jpg
    SurfaceTension120.jpg
    I never thought I would be glad to see the military!

SurfaceTension121.jpg
    That feeling quickly left after they finished off the aliens and put me in their sights!

SurfaceTension122.jpg
    Dodge and run!

SurfaceTension123.jpg
    A few marines later and in a building. Some sort of barracks.

SurfaceTension124.jpg
    Hey! It's Joe! How are you still alive? I had to shoot my way through the bottom floor of this place just to get here!

SurfaceTension125.jpg
    Locked, of course..

SurfaceTension126.jpg
    I think I need to go there. But how?

SurfaceTension127.jpg
    Aha! Thinking like a scientist! Out the window!

SurfaceTension128.jpg
    I'm getting better at figuring this stuff out! Across the dumpsters and onto the ladder!

SurfaceTension129.jpg

SurfaceTension130.jpg
    Ok, now I'm not sure again.

SurfaceTension131.jpg
    Remember how I said that there isn't any really good places to use those explosives? I lied. :D

SurfaceTension132.jpg
    Hey! What's that?

SurfaceTension134.jpg
    :D

SurfaceTension135.jpg
    Found 2 more marines, and another place that's good for using explosives!

SurfaceTension136.jpg
    Aha! A door!

SurfaceTension137.jpg
    After some nimble jumping...

SurfaceTension138.jpg
    It looks a bit dangerous up ahead.

SurfaceTension139.jpg
    Scratch that, VERY dangerous ahead.

SurfaceTension140.jpg
    Where's my rocket launcher?! Well, let's see what it is going to do first, maybe it'll just fly by.

SurfaceTension141.jpg
    SurfaceTension142.jpg
    SurfaceTension143.jpg
    SurfaceTension144.jpg
    Unsuspecting. (How did they not see me?)

SurfaceTension145.jpg
    I'm starting to enjoy having explosives. :D

SurfaceTension146.jpg
    More marines and successfully past that open area.

SurfaceTension147.jpg
    Crap! Huge gun! Wait a minute, it's not manned! Yes!

SurfaceTension149.jpg
    Aliens busting through the door. Canon fodder! blam blam blam!

SurfaceTension151.jpg
    Nothing like a nice clear walkway.

SurfaceTension152.jpg
    Hey! You're ruining my moment!

SurfaceTension153.jpg
    Nothing a grenade can't solve.

SurfaceTension154.jpg
    Wow, big walkway.

SurfaceTension155.jpg
    Aliens + machine gun = FUN!

SurfaceTension156.jpg
    SurfaceTension157.jpg
    SurfaceTension158.jpg
    SurfaceTension159.jpg
    SurfaceTension160.jpg
    SurfaceTension161.jpg
    SurfaceTension162.jpg
    All Clear!

SurfaceTension163.jpg
    That, is just GROSS.

SurfaceTension164.jpg
    Apparently though, it's a giant, disgusting trampoline.

SurfaceTension165.jpg
    Aliens

SurfaceTension166.jpg
    Marines

SurfaceTension167.jpg
    Picking off the survivors, I make my way through the air ducts.

SurfaceTension168.jpg
    If only I could actually drive one of those..

SurfaceTension169.jpg
    Thinking like a scientist.. Push button, get on lift, jump out hole!

SurfaceTension170.jpg
    Then kill guy shooting at me.

SurfaceTension171.jpg
    When you can't find a tank to do your door blowing up work for you, you gotta do it yourself.

SurfaceTension173.jpg
    It's.. Just.. So.. Beautiful.. ::sniff::

SurfaceTension175.jpg
    Now you see him..

SurfaceTension176.jpg
    Now you don't!

SurfaceTension177.jpg
    Rinse and repeat!

SurfaceTension179.jpg
    Go Private Ryan! Take down that alien scum!

SurfaceTension181.jpg
    One down!

SurfaceTension182.jpg
    Uh oh, lost a marine..

SurfaceTension183.jpg
    This is tough, who is going to win?!

SurfaceTension184.jpg
    Looks like the aliens.. :( I was rooting for the marines too. Well, here's your prize! BEES!

SurfaceTension185.jpg
    In case you actually partook in that battle. :D

SurfaceTension186.jpg
    Opportunities for explosives are everywhere!

SurfaceTension187.jpg
    But instead, let's try these cute little guys!

SurfaceTension188.jpg
    That marine there is shooting at me, go my bug friends!

SurfaceTension189.jpg
    Ew, kamikaze bugs.

SurfaceTension190.jpg
    Guy thinks he's a sniper. BEES!

SurfaceTension191.jpg
    Bees > sniper.

SurfaceTension194.jpg
    Hey where did you come from?

SurfaceTension195.jpg
    Fortunately, I guess he didn't see me.

SurfaceTension196.jpg
    Locked!

SurfaceTension197.jpg
    ::BOING!::

SurfaceTension198.jpg
    Into water again?

SurfaceTension199.jpg
    Into the pipes!

SurfaceTension200.jpg
    Crap! Trapped like rats!

SurfaceTension201.jpg
    Uhh, that's not good! Go back! Back!

SurfaceTension202.jpg
    SurfaceTension203.jpg
    SurfaceTension204.jpg
    Underwater and still feeling the heat..

SurfaceTension206.jpg
    This is actually pretty funny. Couple of marines struggling to fight off headcrabs.

SurfaceTension208.jpg
    Valve likes valves..

SurfaceTension209.jpg
    Once again, into the pipes.

SurfaceTension212.jpg
    Fortunately someone blew up the end of this pipe near some stairs. Looks clear.

SurfaceTension213.jpg
    Locked again!

SurfaceTension215.jpg
    "Get Back! Oh, it's you Gordon."

SurfaceTension216.jpg
    Good help is hard to come by, but I'm thankful he's here.

SurfaceTension217.jpg
    Back out here again. Perhaps he can unlock that big door?

SurfaceTension219.jpg
    Yes! I don't suppose you could write down some access codes for me so I can just unlock doors myself?

SurfaceTension221.jpg
    HOLY! Another one of those! But I don't have 1 million watts to put him through this time!

SurfaceTension222.jpg
    He saw me! Think, Gordon, think! What would a scientist do?

SurfaceTension223.jpg
    Run away! Run run run run!!!

SurfaceTension224.jpg
    Keep running! Don't look back!

SurfaceTension225.jpg
    Trapped! Wait, there's one of those trampolines!

SurfaceTension227.jpg
    Over the wall! Kill the marine!

SurfaceTension228.jpg
    "Cooper, come in!" Forget about Freeman!! We are pulling out of here! If you have any more targets, mark them and get out! Repeat, we are pulling out and commencing air strikes!"

SurfaceTension229.jpg
    Crap! It followed me and broke down the door!

SurfaceTension230.jpg
    Wait a minute, air strikes! :D ::sets coordinates::

SurfaceTension231.jpg
    SurfaceTension232.jpg
    SurfaceTension233.jpg
    SurfaceTension234.jpg
    SurfaceTension235.jpg
    SurfaceTension236.jpg
    Whew..

SurfaceTension237.jpg
    Hmm, looks like I need to get in there. Let's blow up those walls!

SurfaceTension242.jpg
    Success!

SurfaceTension246.jpg
    Hmm, I need to get across. What's long enough to get me across?

SurfaceTension250.jpg
    Direct hit!

SurfaceTension251.jpg
    Let's go!

SurfaceTension252.jpg
    Those air strikes are tearing this place apart!

SurfaceTension253.jpg
    I hope this tunnel doesn't collapse on me!

SurfaceTension254.jpg
    I'm outta here!

Next week!
    ForgetAboutFreeman001a.jpg
    Will they actually forget about me? I hope so, but I have reservations that these guys will actually give up a grudge against me..

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    God, I loved this chapter.

Also, a few notes.
    You can kill helicopters with the gauss gun. Might have made that earlier portion before you get the rockets a tad easier. Also, you CAN blow up the tanks, it just takes a buttload of firepower.

Awesome update.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    [edit] I'm dumb.

Also, hurray for the map used for TFC Hunted.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Wetsun wrote: »
    Heh, you must've missed the intro text for "Forget About Freeman", as you did that section/chapter as well today. This explains your overabundance of screenshots.

Also, hurray for the map used for TFC Hunted.

Double check the last shot. I stopped at "Forget about Freeman". :D That's Monday's updates, with a measly 50 shots!

After a while I was thinking, "Man, I must have missed an intro somewhere here, this is LONG!" Then I would save to see what the title was, and it was still Surface Tension.

I think it was all the action shots I took of me shooting and things blowing up, combined with the length of the section that really boosted this thing past ~80 normal shots to 200+ (254, but I didn't use a few and some were doubles that I only posted one of as well).

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ah, for some reason I saw the final shot and thought "Lambda Complex", negating my need to read. I really thought the "Forget about Freeman" radio quote was in the chapter. Hm, oh well. I guess it's been too long since HL1.

Wetsun on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Jragghen wrote: »

Also, a few notes.
    You can kill helicopters with the gauss gun. Might have made that earlier portion before you get the rockets a tad easier. Also, you CAN blow up the tanks, it just takes a buttload of firepower.

Awesome update.

Bah, you do that, and you negate the most satisfying moment in video game history. I remember finally picking up that rocket launcher, and I just smiled and was thinking "Oh, your fucking dead now". I walk out of the cave with it equipped, the helicopter comes around the corner and looks right at me, and then I shot right in his face and blew him the fuck up. Greatest thing ever.

shryke on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Surface Tension is by far one of the longest chapters, and one of the most memorable.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    shryke wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »

Also, a few notes.

Awesome update.

Bah, you do that, and you negate the most satisfying moment in video game history. I remember finally picking up that rocket launcher, and I just smiled and was thinking "Oh, your fucking dead now". I walk out of the cave with it equipped, the helicopter comes around the corner and looks right at me, and then I shot right in his face and blew him the fuck up. Greatest thing ever.

Yes! :D When I found that rocket launcher I was so thrilled! It probably took less than a milisecond for the visual of an exploding helicopter to come rushing to my mind. That stupid chopper follows you around so long that to finally be rid of it is awesome! (I forgot to try, but can you also down the plane dropping marines with the rocket launcher?)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Jeez you put alot of effort into this. Naming all the shots, presumebly resizing them.

And uploading them all to slow ass photobucket.

I'm enjoying it alot, props man. :)

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Jeez you put alot of effort into this. Naming all the shots, presumebly resizing them.

And uploading them all to slow ass photobucket.

I'm enjoying it alot, props man. :)

I'm glad you enjoy it!

Here's a little secret though:
    Gadwin PrintScreen

Every time I push PrintScreen during the game, it takes a shot, resizes it to 640x400 (widescreen laptop) and names it whatever I specify (I pause and change it for each section) followed by the 3 digit sequential number. It also saves it as a JPEG with a quality of about 80%. Leaves me with a wonderful set of 20KB files all named and sequential. :D
    Uploading to photobucket isn't too bad as I don't normally have over 100 files so using the bulk uploader and subfolders I keep things organized.

However, making up the posts? Yeah, that takes forever. I think I spent maybe 90+ minutes writing up this last one. Flipping back and forth from photobucket to look at the shot and get the link then posting it here with the IMG tag and putting a comment, sometimes using Google to find something funny to quote.

It's worth it though to do this thread. I'm enjoying it! I love playing and then making up the comments later.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    By the way the security guard can open the door in the barracks you said was locked..and there is a fuckton of ammo in there.

Grenades, Magnum Ammo, SMG, Pistol, Shotgun, Sachels, Rockets, Crossbow..bunch of stuff..and to the point where most of your weapons are full up on ammo afterwards, or damn close.

Edit:
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Yes! :D When I found that rocket launcher I was so thrilled! It probably took less than a milisecond for the visual of an exploding helicopter to come rushing to my mind. That stupid chopper follows you around so long that to finally be rid of it is awesome! (I forgot to try, but can you also down the plane dropping marines with the rocket launcher?)

No you cannot.

Also when you shoot the tank aim for the top part it takes something like 4-5 rockets to destroy it.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Woo! Fantastic stuff.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Forget About Freeman!
    But, but, I don't want to be forgotten! I want to change the world!
    ForgetAboutFreeman001a.jpg
    The Lambda Complex! Finally!

ForgetAboutFreeman001.jpg
    Just need to get that door open! Stupid marines are bombing the place and its starting to fall apart!

ForgetAboutFreeman002.jpg
    Whoah!

ForgetAboutFreeman003.jpg
    Crap!

ForgetAboutFreeman004.jpg
    Help! Anyone! This place is caving in!

ForgetAboutFreeman006.jpg
    Whew! I think it's done! (Yeah, I died a couple times during this..)

ForgetAboutFreeman007.jpg
    Guess I gotta go around, but I'm so close!

ForgetAboutFreeman010.jpg
    Hey! It's Chuck! Hi Chuck! Careful shooting that turret!

ForgetAboutFreeman011.jpg
    Want to come along, Chuck?

ForgetAboutFreeman012.jpg
    The Marines aren't worried about me anymore, so this should be a cakewalk......

ForgetAboutFreeman013.jpg
    I got the left, you get the right!

ForgetAboutFreeman014.jpg
    What? What is that?

ForgetAboutFreeman015.jpg
    Man, these aliens keep spawning everywhere! I gotta watch my ammo!

ForgetAboutFreeman016.jpg
    Another one. What are these things? They seem to help more aliens "warp" to the location.

ForgetAboutFreeman018.jpg
    Sniping clueless aliens down a ladder. :)

ForgetAboutFreeman019.jpg
    Hmm, despite forgetting about me, they still have tripwires set up. Well that sucks.

ForgetAboutFreeman020.jpg
    West? East? I don't remember which way Lambda was! Darn my directional sense!

ForgetAboutFreeman021.jpg
    Let's try west.

ForgetAboutFreeman022.jpg
    Aliens = correct path. :)

ForgetAboutFreeman024.jpg
    "You know the thing about an alien shark, he's got...lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces."

ForgetAboutFreeman025.jpg
    "So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29, 1945."

ForgetAboutFreeman026.jpg
    No alien is taking me! Alien guns work underwater!

ForgetAboutFreeman027.jpg
    Parents, when you need to keep your grenades out of little hands, store them in the bottom of a alien-shark infested pool!

ForgetAboutFreeman028.jpg
    I'm getting flashbacks of Residue Processing...

ForgetAboutFreeman029.jpg
    Rockets! Awesome! Then again, I usually get rockets when I need to use them. That's not good.

ForgetAboutFreeman030.jpg
    What could be waiting for me?

ForgetAboutFreeman031.jpg
    All clear this direction..

ForgetAboutFreeman032.jpg
    Tank! Take cover!! Hey! You guys were supposed to forget about me!

ForgetAboutFreeman033.jpg
    I thought I was trying to get OUT of here. Why am I going to the center?!

ForgetAboutFreeman034.jpg
    Into the belly of the beast. I'd really rather not, but I don't seem to have a choice in the matter.

ForgetAboutFreeman036.jpg
    Wonderful. By the time I get out of here I'm going to glow in the dark!

ForgetAboutFreeman037.jpg
    For his sake I hope he died from the explosion. Radiation poisoning is not fun. :( Poor guy. RIP Robert.

ForgetAboutFreeman038.jpg
    Weren't these guys supposed to pull out? Guess I'll have to give them some encouragement. Let's see, I have some grenades here..

ForgetAboutFreeman039.jpg
    A repair bay? Awesome, maybe I can get a truck and truck it out of here!

ForgetAboutFreeman040.jpg
    The battle rages on! Get those alien scum, marines!

ForgetAboutFreeman041.jpg
    Hey, hey, hey! Forget about me, go after the alien! Argh! Fine, you're all dead!

ForgetAboutFreeman042.jpg
    Tank with open hatch? Don't mind if I do!

ForgetAboutFreeman043.jpg
    You aliens have NO idea what's about to happen, do you? :D

ForgetAboutFreeman044.jpg
    Ow! You stupid bee-shooters!

ForgetAboutFreeman045.jpg
    I'm pulling out the big guns now!

ForgetAboutFreeman046.jpg
    Hi! Have a rocket!

ForgetAboutFreeman047.jpg
    Goodnight!

ForgetAboutFreeman048.jpg
    This does NOT look good.

ForgetAboutFreeman049.jpg
    Lambda! Yes! Hallelujah! Finally reached you guys! I gotta find those scientists and then we can get out of here!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Game gets pertty nails hard from now on.

Fuck that last three levels, just fuck that.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow, I forgot about some of that stuff.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    BoredGamer wrote: »
    The Game gets pertty nails hard from now on.

Fuck that last three levels, just fuck that.

Lambda Core isn't bad.

After that? Can't argue.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Xen isnt hard , just really fucking annoying especially the factory at the end , Jesus those flying things are a pain.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Please add to the OP about Black Mesa:

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

I can't fucking wait for it! But damn are they taking their sweet time, going on three years now. :(

Shade on
  • Options
    MidViciousMidVicious Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shade wrote: »

I can't fucking wait for it! But damn are they taking their sweet time, going on three years now. :(

It sucks that Valve won't help them with the project. But then, I think either Valve or their once parent company Activision (not sure of the history about this) knows that if (and God pray when!) this project is released, sales for the original Half-Life game will plummet because this will be a free alternative.

I wouldn't be surprised if Valve (or someone related) bought the source code/maps etc. to BlackMesaSource after its completion specifically so they could sell it on the market. Either way I wouldn't be too upset, as long as the BMS team got their credit.

MidVicious on
    "When you're in the type of business we're in, you don't get a criminal lawyer, you get a criminal lawyer!"
    -- Jesse, Breaking Bad
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    MidVicious wrote: »
    Shade wrote: »

It sucks that Valve won't help them with the project. But then, I think either Valve or their once parent company Activision (not sure of the history about this) knows that if (and God pray when!) this project is released, sales for the original Half-Life game will plummet because this will be a free alternative.

I wouldn't be surprised if Valve (or someone related) bought the source code/maps etc. to BlackMesaSource after its completion specifically so they could sell it on the market. Either way I wouldn't be too upset, as long as the BMS team got their credit.

Basically do it like they did with Counter-Strike. Free mod, then it turns into a standalone product and they sell it on the shelves (Steam).

I can understand why Valve wouldn't want to do it as they just want to move forward with Ep3 or whatever, and this would take away from that when it already takes them long enough to release a new episode/game. But that's not really a bad thing, because they are GOOD. :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think really Valve's only choice is to either buy these guys out or ignore them, for a number of reasons.

First of all, I'm not sure that "helping them out" would entail. Second of all, they don't know these guys, and have no reason to give the preferential treatment over other mod projects just because they claim they're remaking HL1. Third, they can't really give these guys any kind of stamp of approval without knowing if they're ever going to release or if it will be any good.

Then on top of that there's probably a crapton of legal issues regarding intellectual property. Basically, it's cool that Valve isn't shutting these guys down, but let's not act like they really should or can do something to help them just because these guys say they're making a mod and they have good PR. Maybe after they release and it's wicked-awesome something will happen.

august on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It's hard to tell from the screens if you did this but you know you can go through the alien mesh wall things with a crowbar or whatever and destroy those glowing ball things(they spawn 4 or so snarks..the little aliens you can also pick up as a weapon) right?

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    It's hard to tell from the screens if you did this but you know you can go through the alien mesh wall things with a crowbar or whatever and destroy those glowing ball things(they spawn 4 or so snarks..the little aliens you can also pick up as a weapon) right?

Dang, I don't explore enough! :) I think my thought process was "if it's not shooting at me or trying to eat me, leave it alone and move along". I'll have to try that the next time.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Gear Girl wrote: »

Dang, I don't explore enough! :) I think my thought process was "if it's not shooting at me or trying to eat me, leave it alone and move along". I'll have to try that the next time.

There is actually only just some ammo and a few more brutes to fight over there..nothing spectacular..and the snarks DO attack you but you can shoot the things from afar and run up the ramp and wait for them to explode though.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fuck all you guys. Xen was awesome.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    There's some serious Mario Brothers shit in Xen though. It's a small part, but frustrating as hell.

august on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Xen was fine. The jumps are easy too..you guys just suck...or are too impatient. :p

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That shit where you have to launch into the air and land on a manta? That part is bullshit.

august on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    august wrote: »
    That shit where you have to launch into the air and land on a manta? That part is bullshit.

I didn't have a problem with it but yes I will agree that the setup was indeed bullshit. Really no reason for it.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Every time I think about Xen's "creative jumping", these ridiculous speedruns come to mind and mock me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFelTUHYhvI and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTUOn2EUFhk

Wetsun on
  • Options
    MidViciousMidVicious Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I played Xen once already dammit and that was enough.

Oh, and, fuck the Nihilanth.

MidVicious on
    "When you're in the type of business we're in, you don't get a criminal lawyer, you get a criminal lawyer!"
    -- Jesse, Breaking Bad
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Fuck jumping puzzles. If I wanted to do jumping puzzles I'd be playing Mario or Prince of Persia or something. I'm playing an FPS to shoot things till they die. Or steal shit (<3<3<3 Thief)

shryke on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I love jumping in FPS I really do.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Nothing was worse than the jumping bits in Turok for N64.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    I love jumping in FPS I really do.

DIAF

shryke on