As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lets Play] Half-Life - Interlope Gonarch's Lair in Xen to find Nihilanth (MMAN Vids)

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    Greeper wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Huh. For the first part of that one -
    You didn't go down into the caves then get raised up on one of the spires before getting onto one of the manta rays? I didn't think you could just jump onto one from the ground.

Fun jumping!:
    I did fall into them a few times, but couldn't get my directions to move around enough or time correctly to hit anything. The raised hill is high enough that you can long jump onto the ray. :D It did take me a while to land on it though.

Wow... that... I'm impressed.

My own valve-riffic weekend continues, today I started and beat HALF-LIFE: OPPOSING FORCE and started HALF-LIFE 2.

Are you gonna do the Half-Life expansions after you're done here? What fun that would be.

Opposing force in one day AND you started Half-Life 2...how much do you play shit.

Much, sir.

Much.

Not usually this much, but there's something compelling about the whole story arc of Gordan Freeman.
    I can't wait to see how the episodic content is. Ask me on Tuesday. (Maybe tomorrow)

Greeper on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Interloper
    Regarding the red portal - did you stick around outside it for a few minutes? There's an interesting, slightly creepy effect if you wait.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying this. One of my favorite games, and you've given me some insight into it. :^:

Tamin on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tamin wrote: »
    Interloper
    Regarding the red portal - did you stick around outside it for a few minutes? There's an interesting, slightly creepy effect if you wait.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying this. One of my favorite games, and you've given me some insight into it. :^:

Wait, really? What is it?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not much of a spoiler, really...
    Voice clips start playing. Just things you've heard through-out the game. Gives it a sense of 'this portal must have a connection to Earth, and is picking up voices from the BMRF'. As I said, slightly creepy in a ghost-house sort of way.

Tamin on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shurakai wrote: »
    My brother is the same way. Its infuriating to watch him play a game, he just stands there and looks at everything. He is also a completionist, so he's probably finished way more games than I have.

but why would anyone do so in an FPS? where ammo is sure to be plentiful, and looking at an object wont help you? it isnt an adventure game.

I look at the object to look at the object..to take it in..I want to feel like I've seen everything. Fucked I know but there ya go. I don't expect you to understand it..I don't even understand it really. I often play a game through the second time in a total run and gun rambo type of way to experience that form of play as well.

I play games the same way as you do. Bioshock took me FOREVER to finish...

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Voice clips start playing. Just things you've heard through-out the game. Gives it a sense of 'this portal must have a connection to Earth, and is picking up voices from the BMRF'. As I said, slightly creepy in a ghost-house sort of way.

I always thout it was Gordon going a bit mad after being in Xen so long.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    MidViciousMidVicious Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »

I always thout it was Gordon going a bit mad after being in Xen so long.

Dammit. Now I have to play to the end of Interloper... :P

ArcSyn, this has been an awesome thread, I checked it almost daily. I hope you have fun brain busting the Nihilanth although I can only imagine the cursing you'll be doing when oversized killer fetus keeps shooting instant death at you.

MidVicious on
    "When you're in the type of business we're in, you don't get a criminal lawyer, you get a criminal lawyer!"
    -- Jesse, Breaking Bad
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thanks guys! In case you have not already figured it, I have completed Half-Life and when I get a chance Nihilanth and End Game will be uploaded.

Interesting tidbit:
    My photobucket account resets its monthly allotment of bandwidth tomorrow. A few days ago I got notification that I have less than 5GB left this month. They give you 25GB each month for free. That means you guys have downloaded those images enough times for over 20GB! I'm glad the months starts fresh tomorrow as Nihilanth and End Game have a good number of pictures each and I wouldn't want my photos to go down in the middle of them.

Also, I have started Opposing Force, but it may be a while before I make the OP. There's a lot of speech I want to translate to text (unless it's out on the 'net) for Basic Training so it may take a while for me to get all that done as well. Possibly early next week? I dunno. You'll see it I'm sure. I'll amend this thread as well with a link to that one.

Oh, and I didn't wait at the red portal. :( I think I have a save from there though I could try..

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thanks guys! In case you have not already figured it, I have completed Half-Life and when I get a chance Nihilanth and End Game will be uploaded.

Interesting tidbit:
    My photobucket account resets its monthly allotment of bandwidth tomorrow. A few days ago I got notification that I have less than 5GB left this month. They give you 25GB each month for free. That means you guys have downloaded those images enough times for over 20GB! I'm glad the months starts fresh tomorrow as Nihilanth and End Game have a good number of pictures each and I wouldn't want my photos to go down in the middle of them.

Also, I have started Opposing Force, but it may be a while before I make the OP. There's a lot of speech I want to translate to text (unless it's out on the 'net) for Basic Training so it may take a while for me to get all that done as well. Possibly early next week? I dunno. You'll see it I'm sure. I'll amend this thread as well with a link to that one.

Oh, and I didn't wait at the red portal. :( I think I have a save from there though I could try..

Can't vouch for validity, but this is supposedly the full scripts for HL, OP4, BS, and HL2. Each in separate posts, of course. You should be able to get what you want out of there.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Interesting tidbit:

Can't vouch for validity, but this is supposedly the full scripts for HL, OP4, BS, and HL2. Each in separate posts, of course. You should be able to get what you want out of there.

Wow, that would have come in handy for the HL OP. Oh well.. :D

They do not have the Basic Training section though, which is a shame because the Drill Sergeant says some pretty funny stuff.

Regardless, it will be a nice reference when I hit the large script areas in Opp Force and Blue Shift.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You might also make a note of the Nihilanth's speeches, if you can find the translations of them on the net.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Also, as a heads up, I think the Gman is in the OpFor Boot Camp as well.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Very nice thread, ArcSyn.

Are you going to continue with HL2 after you do Blue Shift and Opposing Force?

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

That is the plan unless someone else picks up that torch. I want to play it anyway, so why not just make it into an LP? :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

That is the plan unless someone else picks up that torch. I want to play it anyway, so why not just make it into an LP? :D

Good, good. :^:

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Nihilanth:
    Nihilanth001.jpg
    Nihilanth.. Is this the end?

Nihilanth002.jpg
    The teleportation field around me starts to fade and I see something gigantic and disturbing before me.

Nihilanth003.jpg
    It turns to me as my view clears. This has got to be the being the scientist was talking about! It's head is enormous, as is the rest of it. Its appearance is revolting, however, and I cannot wait to blow it apart.

Nihilanth004.jpg
    I begin to fall, and I realize that I must have teleported into the air.

Nihilanth005.jpg
    The size of the alien overmind and it's chamber are fully in view. I see the alien is supported by some sort of technological device.

Nihilanth006.jpg
    It begins to move and light forms at it's fingers.

Nihilanth007.jpg
    It's an attack! Run, Gordon! You've come this far, don't die now!

Nihilanth008.jpg
    It prepares a second barrage of sparks.

Nihilanth009.jpg
    This time I am ready.

Nihilanth012.jpg
    I take some damage, but otherwise I avoid further attacks.
    That is, until a green light engulfs me. I don't know where it came from, but I can only imagine the alien summoned it.

Nihilanth013.jpg
    I fall into a tall chamber with the small flying brain circling around the top.

Nihilanth014.jpg
    Working my way up, I realize that I am not the only one to have made it this far. It should have been obvious, considering the scientists knew about this, but actually seeing the bodies makes it all the clearer.

Nihilanth015.jpg
    I see at the top of the chamber another teleporter awaits.

Nihilanth016.jpg
    Another body. The teams must have been a fairly large group as I have found many bodies thus far and for two to be here. I begin to seriously question whether these scientists knew and had visited this place before the accident occurred..

Nihilanth017.jpg
    I am quite thankful that they were well supplied. I had not used too much ammunition yet, but I had the feeling that this was not going to be simple.

Nihilanth018.jpg
    I've finally reached the top. I take a deep breath and prepare myself to face that monstrosity again..

Nihilanth019.jpg
    I warp in and it is not facing me. I take this moment to try and surprise attack it before it has a chance to retaliate. The alien bee shooter seems to be ineffective and they do not home in correctly either.

Nihilanth020.jpg
    By this point it has found me and prepares its attack. I decide to try the quick route and shoulder the rocket launcher. If anything will take this thing down, rockets will.

Nihilanth021.jpg
    I see it start to bleed as the rocket slams into its body. It stays up and doesn't seem too fazed, though.. I load another rocket, but before I can fire it off I am again enveloped in a green ball and teleported elsewhere.

Nihilanth022.jpg
    This is not the same chamber as I wade through the murky liquid.

Nihilanth023.jpg
    The same teleporter is at the top, but this time only three rising platforms will take me to it.

Nihilanth024.jpg
    I find some supplies, take out a few aliens and then catch a ride on the next platform.

Nihilanth025.jpg
    It brings me closer to the teleporter, but I cannot jump too soon.

Nihilanth027.jpg
    As soon as my vision clears enough to make out the shape of that alien I unload my first rocket.

Nihilanth028.jpg
    I seem to be doing a lot of damage to it, however there are yellow glowing rocks that seem to heal it. Sparks that encircle the head disappear along with its health, but are renewed with those same rocks. I notice some platforms on the walls and make my way to the first and lowest one.

Nihilanth029.jpg
    I find a healing pool there and a yellow spike above it. There is also a spike at the edge of the platform that can be placed between me and the alien. While observing my surroundings, I notice that that spike stopped the alien's attack.

Nihilanth031.jpg
    Even the green teleportation ball slams into the outcropping of rock and dissipates. I decide to use this to my advantage and take time to figure out what I need to do. It seems that the alien is not smart enough to actually move and attack around the rock, so I am safe so long as I stand still.

Nihilanth032.jpg
    I hear it continue to try to attack with those lightning balls and teleporter balls, but each one fails to pass that shield in front of me.

Nihilanth033.jpg
    The yellowish spike above me is electrified with energy. I can't seem to finish off this alien quickly enough that these do not heal it, so I must destroy them first.

Nihilanth034.jpg
    I decide to try bullets first, as they are hard to actually use against the giant alien brain.

Nihilanth036.jpg
    This one is close enough for a shotgun, so I may as well use it.

Nihilanth037.jpg
    The strange protrusion shatters like glass..

Nihilanth038.jpg
    It explodes when it shatters, showering me with shards of whatever material it was.

Nihilanth040.jpg
    Whatever it was, it must have had a lot of energy to explode like that.

Nihilanth042.jpg
    With that energy dissipated, I have eliminated one of the three.

Nihilanth043.jpg
    The next is much further away, and too far for a shotgun.

Nihilanth044.jpg
    I figure that the marine machine gun should do the job well enough.

Nihilanth045.jpg
    I do need to keep it to short bursts to remain accurate.

Nihilanth046.jpg
    I see the bullets hitting their target, so I continue trying to shoot it out.

Nihilanth048.jpg
    It quickly shatters, exploding just the same as the previous one.

Nihilanth049.jpg
    With this one down, there's only one left.

Nihilanth053.jpg
    As the explosion fades, I realize that the third won't be quite so simple.

Nihilanth058.jpg
    You can see that despite my excellent and safe position, the alien is directly blocking the last power crystal.

Nihilanth060.jpg
    I decide that even if it can be healed by the last crystal, perhaps when it moves to it I can destroy it. Time for the rocket launcher again!

Nihilanth062.jpg
    My shots are not blocked.

Nihilanth064.jpg
    The rocket seems to have pierced it's head and exploded inside! Probably a glitch, but interesting.

Nihilanth067.jpg
    Next rocket!

Nihilanth070.jpg
    Reload!

Nihilanth071.jpg
    It continues to try to get rid of me, but too bad! Your shots are still blocked!

Nihilanth074.jpg
    If this alien is so smart, why does it float still? :D

Nihilanth079.jpg
    My next to last rocket. I hope that this thing dies soon, because I'm running low and I don't really know what else to shoot at you..

Nihilanth081.jpg
    Showing some smarts, the alien seems to have spawned some small minions. I do need to take them out as they can move and hit me from around my shield here.

Nihilanth083.jpg
    My last rocket. I hope it does the job..

Nihilanth089.jpg
    It seems to be still alive. I suppose that nuclear weapons would also be quite damaging. So lets give them a shot.

Nihilanth090.jpg
    I figure my first order of business should be to take out the small fries..

Nihilanth093.jpg
    I charge up my first shot and I see the alien blood start to flow.

Nihilanth094.jpg
    With my second charged shot he starts to rise and make his way to the last power node.

Nihilanth095.jpg
    As soon as it's visible, however, a simple shot takes it out. Now he's vulnerable. He cannot heal himself, and I have plenty of ammunition left.

Nihilanth100.jpg
    He summons more minions and turns back towards me. I can sense the hatred. I also feel the fear.

Nihilanth101.jpg
    I charge each shot I have. I want this to be over quickly. Not for this thing's sake, but for my own.

Nihilanth103.jpg
    He's weak. Instead of 6 lightning balls he can only produce two. My shots continue to tear him apart.

Nihilanth104.jpg
    Seeing those energy balls approach is still frightening, but I know I am safe where I am.

Nihilanth105.jpg
    More yellowish blood flows. He must die soon..

Nihilanth116.jpg
    He continues to try and get rid of me. I refuse to go anywhere until he is gone..

Nihilanth118.jpg
    Another charged shot and his head seems to pop. It bulged a bit and then burst open. He does not seem to be too fazed by it, but I figure my best shot is to get direct to whatever mind is contained within.

Nihilanth122.jpg
    I grab my machine gun. I figure the grenades and high rate of fire should make short work of whatever I encounter..

Nihilanth123.jpg
    I use the jump pad in front of me and launch myself toward it, but it rises with me and I cannot get a clear shot.

Nihilanth124.jpg
    I plummet back down to the liquidy surface below.

Nihilanth125.jpg
    There are lightning aliens roaming around, but I have no time for them.

Nihilanth126.jpg
    I find the closest jump pad and launch myself up towards it again. He prepares an attack but is too slow.

Nihilanth127.jpg
    I miss my shot as the jump pad did not raise me too high. I dash to the next one.

Nihilanth128.jpg
    This time I rise above the alien and I see the energy ball of a mind that is revealed.

Nihilanth129.jpg
    I waste no time and begin to launch grenades into the opening.

Nihilanth132.jpg
    While I wait to launch another I begin to unload my first clip of bullets directly into the brain of this creature. All of my hate, malice, and anger boils over as I have a sole desire to bring this creature down. It must pay for all of the death and destruction it has caused. I am sick of fighting, sick of surviving, I do not want to die and I want to leave this place!

Nihilanth133.jpg
    More and more bullets pour into its mind as the skin-like protective "skull" starts to peel away. I feel no pity for this "thing".

Nihilanth135.jpg
    I hardly notice that the jump pad I used raised me to the ceiling of this chamber. My single thought is to unload my entire clip before I lose sight of the brain.

Nihilanth136.jpg
    I begin to fall and start to hit the outside. Blood spurts out as I adjust my aim to the opening between.

Nihilanth137.jpg
    I've lost my chance, but I am determined. I plan my next jump as I fall to the bottom of the chamber.

Nihilanth139.jpg
    Fortunately, the thing tries to follow me and in doing so, seals its fate. I hit the jump pad as it still drops and quickly rise above it and a clear view of the brain fills my sight.

Nihilanth140.jpg
    This is my chance. I squeeze the trigger, determined not to release that grip until this clip is empty.

Nihilanth141.jpg
    My clip starts to run low, but my aim does not waiver.

Nihilanth142.jpg
    Bullets and empty shells fill the air.

Nihilanth143.jpg
    Alien blood continues to rain down as I rain bullets into the brain of this gruesome alien overmind.

Nihilanth144.jpg
    My clip is getting low when I see lightning start to arc around the room. Is this its last ditch effort to take me out?

Nihilanth145.jpg
    The lightning arcs wider and more dangerously but I pay it no heed.

Nihilanth146.jpg
    I realize that the lightning is striking its brain. Perhaps it is finally dying?

Nihilanth147.jpg
    As my clip runs dry, the energy ball of a brain starts to spurt out its own sparks.

Nihilanth148.jpg
    I start to fall as the being rises further and the sparks and lightning fly.

Nihilanth149.jpg
    It begins to flail about, and I realize that it is almost over.

Nihilanth150.jpg
    The lightning starts to directly strike the alien's head.

Nihilanth153.jpg
    I finally have my gun reloaded, but I think it was an unnecessary action. Then again, when is loading a gun NOT a necessary action?

Nihilanth155.jpg
    It looks at me with all the hatred it has left with those empty, black eyes.

Nihilanth156.jpg
    I don't care. I simply wait and watch.

Nihilanth157.jpg
    Nihilanth158.jpg
    Nihilanth159.jpg
    Nihilanth160.jpg
    Nihilanth161.jpg
    Nihilanth162.jpg
    Nihilanth163.jpg
    Nihilanth164.jpg
    Nihilanth165.jpg
    Nihilanth166.jpg
    Nihilanth167.jpg
    Nihilanth168.jpg
    Nihilanth169.jpg
    Nihilanth170.jpg
    Nihilanth171.jpg
    Nihilanth172.jpg
    Nihilanth173.jpg
    Nihilanth174.jpg
    Nihilanth175.jpg
    Nihilanth176.jpg
    Nihilanth177.jpg
    Where am I going now?

Wiki Nihilanth's Telepathic Messages:
    * "Comes... another...": Said when Gordon enters Xen for the first time.

* "You are man...he is not man...for you he waits...for you...": Said when Gordon enters the second part of "Interloper" at the alien camp. Perhaps refers to the G-Man?

* "The last...I am the last...": Said when Freeman enters the final part of "Interloper" near an altar with a red portal.

* "Win... you cannot win...": Said when Gordon enters Gonarch's lair.

* "Done...what have you done...": Said when Gordon enters the chapter "Interloper." This refers to the Gonarch and its defeat.

* "Die...you all die...you all die...": Probably spoken out of anger, may be related to above phrase.

* "Now die...now die...now...": Said during the battle with the Nihilanth.

* "Their slaves...we are their slaves...we are..." Probably a reference to the Combine.

* "The truth...you can never know...the truth..." Most likely referring to the G-Man.

* "Thieves...you all are thieves...you all are..." Refering to the Crystals that were stolen from Xen.

* "Deceive you... will deceive you" Probably describing the G-Man again.

* "Alone, not you... alone, not you... alone" Possibly a reference to G-Man?

* "FREEEEEMAAAAAANNN!!!!!": The Nihilanth screams out Freeman's name at the very beginning of the game's final battle, indicating that it knows Freeman by name.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    God, I really want to pick the game and finish it already D:

It goes to show how good a game Half Life is :D

Impersonator on
  • Options
    IhmhiIhmhi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Nice.

I never beat this game until recently, but I had played through it a few times.
    In the battle with the Nihalanth, I actually had to consult a friend on how best to beat it. I kept getting owned by the lightning balls.

Those yellow crystals were the first thing to go. The Gauss Gun (The laser thing that you can charge up) can take out one of the crystals with a fully charged shot. It is 100% accurate and you can usually get all of the first three crystals before the first portal hits you.

As for the Nihalanth itself, I unloaded my rockets and other such ammo upon it until its head opened. When I finally could hit a jump pad and get into its head, I emptied the Gluon Gun into its head. It literally died in like 5 seconds. Then again, I was only on normal difficulty, so...

BTW, the Half Life High Definition Pack makes the models look really nice.

Info on it here: http://steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=news&id=438&

You can also just click this link to install: steam://installaddon/halflifehd

And this link to uninstall, should you wish to: steam://removeaddon/halflifehd

It does not change the behavior of the weapons at all; it just changes their appearance. The HD pack makes more sense, too - those soldiers would have assault rifles, not MP5s. /=

Anyway, this was really awesome, and I hope you do one for Opposing Force and Blue Shift. While Blue Shift is painfully short, I actually found Opposing Force very enjoyable indeed. Thanks for a great ride. (:

Ihmhi on
    Fortress Forever: The next generation of Team Fortress - made by hardcore fans for the next generation of Fortress Fanatics!
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Are you guys just randomly running around the room on Nihilianth? All you have to do is kill the three crystals from behind a "spire" or whatever those triangles are and then just pop out and shoot him in time with his blasts..you don't even have to get hit by a green ball if you don't want. Kill the occasional vortigaunt and then when he loses his orbs just jump up to the highest ledge(after making your way from spire to spire though it is way easier to dodge him now) and hop in his head or just shoot at it. After figuring out his pattern I didn't even get hit once except one time trying to get in his head.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Are you guys just randomly running around the room on Nihilianth? All you have to do is kill the three crystals from behind a "spire" or whatever those triangles are and then just pop out and shoot him in time with his blasts..you don't even have to get hit by a green ball if you don't want. Kill the occasional vortigaunt and then when he loses his orbs just jump up to the highest ledge(after making your way from spire to spire though it is way easier to dodge him now) and hop in his head or just shoot at it. After figuring out his pattern I didn't even get hit once except one time trying to get in his head.

At first I was just running around shooting at him. Then I found the platforms so I was hopping up to those trying to figure out what was going on. That was when I was being hit by the green warps. Once I found that the spires blocked the shots, I realized what was going on and it really was incredibly easy since you can't be touched.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    End Game:
    Nihilanth179.jpg
    What now?

Nihilanth181.jpg
    You!

Nihilanth182.jpg
    "Gordon Freeman, in the flesh. Or rather, in the hazard suit.
    I took the liberty of relieving you of your weapons. Most of them were government property anyway. As for the suit, I think you've earned it."

Nihilanth191.jpg
    "The borderworld, Xen, is in our control for the time being thanks to you. Quite a nasty peice of work you managed over there. I am impressed."

Nihilanth202.jpg
    "That's why I am here Mr. Freeman. I have recommended your services to my employers. And they have authorized me to offer you a job. They agree with me that you have limitless potential."

Nihilanth217.jpg
    "You've proved yourself a decisive man, so I don't expect you will have any trouble deciding what to do."

Nihilanth235.jpg
    "If you're interested, just step into the portal and I will take that as a "yes".
    Otherwise, well, I can offer you a battle you have no chance of winning. Rather an anticlimax after what you've just survived."

Nihilanth237.jpg
    "Time to choose."
    "It's time to choose."

Which would you choose?

Refuse?
    Nihilanth238.jpg
    I refuse to play along with your little game!

Nihilanth240.jpg
    "Well it looks like we won't be working together. No regrets Mr. Freeman."

Nihilanth243.jpg
    Nihilanth245.jpg
    Nihilanth250.jpg
    Nihilanth263.jpg

Accept?
    Nihilanth239.jpg
    I want to live, so I have no choice but to accept..

Nihilanth253.jpg
    "Wisely done, Mr. Freeman. I will see you up ahead."

Nihilanth260.jpg
    Nihilanth263.jpg

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Cue awesome credits music.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    A few thoughts on the game from a first time through perspective:

I thought the game was great. Even as dated as it is, it was a fun play through. I don't know if I would run through it again, but I am glad I played it.
    My only real dislike through the game is that there is so little exposition you have no idea what the actual story is that they are trying to base the game around. So many questions are left unanswered. Perhaps that is the way they wanted it, but with no real storyline, nothing except survival is really pushing me through the game.

The problem with exposition in FPS is that it can be too long. I really do not know how they would insert more explanation into the game. You never leave the first person view, and you almost never lose control of what you are doing. Scientists can be talking to you and you can run by them and ignore everything. Even while G-man is talking you can look around at everything around you. I wish I had more screens of the worlds you are on while he talks, but I didn't think about it until later.

Other than that, I agree with everyone who thinks that Half-Life is an amazing game. Everything is so well done that there are few parts where you are unsure of what to do, and it comes to you pretty quickly when you are clueless. It actually helps to think more like a scientist than a marine. Unfortunately with this genre having been dominated by Doom and UT at the time, it is hard to step away from that mindset.

Xen was just odd. My entire time in the Black Mesa facility was pretty awesome, but Xen just wore me out. I don't really know why, but it felt off from the rest of the game. I think it would have been helpful if they had given you some type of radio to communicate back to the scientists who sent you there. They could have just injected some more background. Whether or not they knew of Xen before the accident. What caused the accident. What to look for to help you since they had teams in Xen before. I think it really would have been able to keep you going in Xen when everything is so bleh.

I also think that the ending could have been done a bit differently as well. Perhaps if you had been warped back to Lambda to find the scientists captured by marines led by the G-man? Then had the G-man pull you aside and talk to you. Something a bit different to show you were more of a success in your mission to stop the invasion. I'm not really sure, but just putting ideas out there.

As far as the G-man, I think he could have been talked a bit more about. The scientists had to have seen him on the security monitors as he was making about the same progress as I was. Someone should have known something about him. Perhaps just mentioned him in passing even to give him a name. Even at the end you have no idea who he is.

Anyway, to wrap it all up: I loved it. I hope you enjoyed this LP as much as I have!

Time permitting I will have an Opposing Force LP up soon, unless someone beats me to it. I started, but haven't really gotten anywhere yet to get going with it.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Exceptional job, ArcSyn. Well done!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am going to miss these.

Good job. :)

Now play the expansions.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    :rotate: *Applause*

Well done ArcSyn! You played a hell of a game and brought back a lot of memories for everyone. I think this was the best Let's Play yet.

We'll be waiting for... Opposing Force! :P

MidVicious on
    "When you're in the type of business we're in, you don't get a criminal lawyer, you get a criminal lawyer!"
    -- Jesse, Breaking Bad
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I felt generally the same way after I beat half-life for the first time on saturday, ArcSyn.

Now! I beat Blue Shift the same day so get to it!

Greeper on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just wanted to pop in and say great job Arc.

I look forward to any future LPs.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well done, ArcSyn :D Thanks for taking us along for the ride. On your thoughts at the end - I'll just compile some of the "answers" which I had come to the conclusion after my first run-through (I never played Opposing Force or Blue Shift, and I'm only playing HL2 right now, but I "know" answers to some now, so I'll try to avoid doing so).
    They could have just injected some more background. Whether or not they knew of Xen before the accident. What caused the accident. What to look for to help you since they had teams in Xen before. I think it really would have been able to keep you going in Xen when everything is so bleh.

Oh, I figured they knew about Xen ahead of time from Questionable Ethics - both from the name of the chapter and from the contents. I mean, they had high-tech chambers which were holding the huge soldiers with the bee-shooters. Do you think they could assemble something like that to spec in the short time after the resonance cascade? Couple that with the fact that they had working portal technology in lambda complex, and I think it makes perfect sense (and also gives an explanation for the multitude of other scientists' bodies you found there - you think they sent in that many people since the resonance cascade? The last few, maybe, but I think the earlier ones were exploratory teams).
    I also think that the ending could have been done a bit differently as well. Perhaps if you had been warped back to Lambda to find the scientists captured by marines led by the G-man? Then had the G-man pull you aside and talk to you. Something a bit different to show you were more of a success in your mission to stop the invasion. I'm not really sure, but just putting ideas out there.

Eh, I liked it. Personal thing, though. I can say that there's a reason behind it knowing some of the other story, but I won't say why.
    As far as the G-man, I think he could have been talked a bit more about. The scientists had to have seen him on the security monitors as he was making about the same progress as I was. Someone should have known something about him. Perhaps just mentioned him in passing even to give him a name. Even at the end you have no idea who he is.

Precisely. I mean, he's the G-Man. That's all you need to know :p

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Great job, I enjoyed reading the whole thing.

I don't believe I gave up after the 'vents' area on Xen the first time I played, I was literally 10 munites from the end of the game.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I thought it was exceedingly obvious that they had known about Xen for a while. From the very beginning, where they have this alien crystal, to Questionable Ethics, where the first thing you see are like 50 cages the exact size of a houndeye plus a bunch of houndeyes, to the very obvious experimentation chambers in the Lambda facility, to the many dead scientists on Xen... yeah. They knew about it.

Well, the marines aren't directly under the G-Man's control. And I think going back to Earth when it ended would kind of kill the mood.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    *holds up a lighter*

Bravo sir!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I did think that they knew about Xen when I started to find the aliens locked up and in cages. It just would have been nice for the scientists to have acknowledged that. I dunno, just nitpicking.

I will say it is awesome having a game like this (and now I'm starting to make comparisons to Portal) where you really aren't given too much to work with, but what you find is what develops the story in your own mind with your own conclusions. They don't spoon feed you a story, but rather you are discovering the story for yourself. It is a bit refreshing.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I thought the game was great. Even as dated as it is, it was a fun play through. I don't know if I would run through it again, but I am glad I played it.
    My only real dislike through the game is that there is so little exposition you have no idea what the actual story is that they are trying to base the game around. So many questions are left unanswered. Perhaps that is the way they wanted it, but with no real storyline, nothing except survival is really pushing me through the game.

Personally, this is one of my favorite things about the game. Granted I played half-life 2 before I went to 1 so it all made a little more sense.
    The problem with exposition in FPS is that it can be too long. I really do not know how they would insert more explanation into the game. You never leave the first person view, and you almost never lose control of what you are doing. Scientists can be talking to you and you can run by them and ignore everything. Even while G-man is talking you can look around at everything around you. I wish I had more screens of the worlds you are on while he talks, but I didn't think about it until later.

A lot of things get semi-explained in Half-Life 2 and once you've finished the series you can read the half-life saga story guide to fill in holes. Again though it is rather indirect you have to put the pieces together yourself.
    Xen was just odd. My entire time in the Black Mesa facility was pretty awesome, but Xen just wore me out. I don't really know why, but it felt off from the rest of the game. I think it would have been helpful if they had given you some type of radio to communicate back to the scientists who sent you there. They could have just injected some more background. Whether or not they knew of Xen before the accident. What caused the accident. What to look for to help you since they had teams in Xen before. I think it really would have been able to keep you going in Xen when everything is so bleh.

I know this doesn't solve the problem in the first game(though for me it wasn't a problem) but atleast the question of why the accident happened gets answered later and as others have said it seems pretty obvious they knew about Xen and the game can't really be all "Hey Gordon you've been working in this facility but we felt we should remind you that we have been collecting samples from this world but I guess you have been a part of the expiriment anyway and you aren't stupid and should technically know so we will give the player controlling you little visual clues ok".

That is the thing about the G-man though. People DON'T see him if he doesn't want them to. He is like the controlling mastermind that is REALLY setting things in motion behind the scenes but you never hear of him and you have no idea who the fuck he is. He is meant to be that way.

Also finally I just wanted to say well done. This was a fantastic LP and just cements my love of the game.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Oh, I figured they knew about Xen ahead of time from Questionable Ethics - both from the name of the chapter and from the contents. I mean, they had high-tech chambers which were holding the huge soldiers with the bee-shooters. Do you think they could assemble something like that to spec in the short time after the resonance cascade? Couple that with the fact that they had working portal technology in lambda complex, and I think it makes perfect sense (and also gives an explanation for the multitude of other scientists' bodies you found there - you think they sent in that many people since the resonance cascade? The last few, maybe, but I think the earlier ones were exploratory teams).

I remember thinking how so frickin cool that was on my first play round years and years ago. It was beautiful, and it really highlighted just how incredible the game was. I was actually freaked out by this scene, realizing the scientists knew far more about what was happening than meets the eye.

I was all, "oh shit, I hope that thing can't get out." And then I pressed the button...

MidVicious on
    -- Jesse, Breaking Bad
  • Options
    IhmhiIhmhi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just beat Blue Shift again yesterday for the Hell of it. The ending
    is sort of anti-climatic, no big boss battle or anything.

And Xen in Blue Shift is confusing as all Hell - you realize how bad things get when Xen is non-linear. It is hard to recognize where you are at times and you end up going in circles.

If you do play Blue Shift, when you are in Xen make sure that you mark tunnels/pathways you have been through with a couple of gunshots so you do not end up going backwards. I would only bother doing this if you get lost or something, though.

Ihmhi on
    Fortress Forever: The next generation of Team Fortress - made by hardcore fans for the next generation of Fortress Fanatics!
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well done sir!

I think you'll love HL2, especially the episodes. You may find some of your answers....

Edit: In fact, I may just go and play Half Life 2 right now!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    That was an awesome LP. I look forward to more in the series.

The storyline is so fragmented that you really won't be able to piece much of it together until you play through HL2 and it's Episodes. OP4 and Blue Shift fill in a little as well.

The good news is, you have a shitload of awesome gaming in your future.

Einhander on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Congradulations on the great LP Arc, had an awesome time reading it :)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I did think that they knew about Xen when I started to find the aliens locked up and in cages. It just would have been nice for the scientists to have acknowledged that. I dunno, just nitpicking.

They, uh, did.

Scientist in Apprehension about the big fish monster: "Did you see it? They say it was pulled from the Challenger Deep, but I'm positive that beast never swam in terrestrial waters until a week ago!"

All the cages and experimentation chambers in Questionable Ethics, and the teleporter labs in Lambda Core.

Scientist at the Lambda Reactor. "This was the supply depot for our survey teams. Several handsome specimens were collected and brought back from the borderworld.. that is, until the survey members started being collected themselves."

All the various HEV suited corpses throughout Xen (the survey teams)

Undead Scottsman on