Options

Choose Your Own [Conspiracy Theories]

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I mean I can understand why the government would want to cover up their involvement in 9/11, and I get that they want to cover up the fact that Lizardpeople actually run the world and are pushing us toward the new world order...

But what would the purpose be of hiding the fact that the Earth is flat? If the Earth was truly flat, who would gain what from keeping that information a secret?

Globe manufacturers.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I mean I can understand why the government would want to cover up their involvement in 9/11, and I get that they want to cover up the fact that Lizardpeople actually run the world and are pushing us toward the new world order...

But what would the purpose be of hiding the fact that the Earth is flat? If the Earth was truly flat, who would gain what from keeping that information a secret?

It ties into a larger worldview that They are keeping us from knowing the Truth.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    The Ender wrote: »
    I don't understand how flat-earthers can possibly explain things like, how thrust gravity stops working the instant you stop accelerating or fucking orbits, how do they work or, uh, the day-night cycle? Unless the other half of the population of earth is being paid off to lie about it being night over there right now.

See, the planet is constantly moving upwards at 9.8m/s, so that's where gravity comes from. The day/night cycle is an illusion and time zones on airplanes are all tricks using satellites to project images onto earth's atmosphere, like how the northern lights work.

I wish I was kidding.

If the disc-planet is constantly accelerating (just moving is not enough to generate force holding objects to its surface) then its orbit around the sun would be constantly changing. If it is thrusting "forward" along its orbital path it would raise its orbit, lengthening its year and eventually escaping the sun. (Of course this would mean that its edge would always be facing the sun and thus the disc-planet would be in perpetual twilight.) Thrusting in other directions would alter the orbit in other fun ways, up to and including plunging it into the sun.

If it's thrusting and spinning like a coin then centripetal force would be added to thrust gravity making everyone on the west side of antarctica heavier and the east side lighter.

None of it makes any fucking sense. Are all other planets discs too, they just wondrously show their flat sides towards us always? Or is Earth just the super special cosmic snowflake that gets to be not-a-sphere.

Flat Earth basically posits that the entire cosmological model is wrong. There is no sun, no solar system, no orbital mechanics, etc. Everything you can see out there in the sky is really small & relatively close; the Earth is either an infinite plane of some kind (accelerating upward, because the universe also has a preferred direction according to Flat Earth) or a finite disc (and you can bet that the infinite plane & disc folks have huge dick wagging arguments about who is more right).

We're all just rats trapped in a maze & controlled by The Government (TM) who is working with The Aliens (TM) and one day Flat Earth is going to go beyond the great ice wall and take photos and show you the TRUTH!

One theory (the one my friend unfriended me for) states that since we are created ALIENS, the ALIENS would rather see us on a STAGE than a GLOBE.

I am capitalizing the words just so they sink in.

COMMON SENSE says that if you had a SHOW you wanted to watch, you wouldn't want to go around a GLOBE! You'd make a STAGE.

Also, some gems.
    How do volcanos work on a flat earth? On a round one the heated lava comes from the earths core..

--- End quote ---

I can tell you now that this is just plain false. Round Earth Theory doesn't even support this notion. Where did learn this information?
    You're actually looking in the opposite direction aren't you?

--- End quote ---

Yes. RE'ers don't seem to understand this concept. They believe that since they can see Mars through a telescope and it appears round (although it actually appears as a flat disc), that somehow proves the Earth is round. Of course they are completely wrong and are projecting their pre-existing round-bias on the heavens. Humans see in 2D, so claiming that they can tell that a planet is round by looking at it through a telescope is absolutely disingenuous, most of them are not doing it on purpose but some (ausGeoff, mikeman) are.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=63222.0;wap2

Pre-existing round bias.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Common sense often leads to wrong conclusions, but that's just what the scientists want you to think.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Common sense often leads to wrong conclusions, but that's just what the scientists want you to think.

I'd like to add to that.

Common sense is a buzzword for "shit I like to think without thinking."

But that's just your pre-existing round-bias speaking.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    That's interesting; most Flat Earthers I'm familiar with (admittedly I'm not familiar with that many) don't try to shoot for the 'well EVERY planet is a disc!' argument, because it's just too Goddamn stupid & fails even the most rudimentary 'common sense' test.

Look at Saturn. Explain how this object is somehow a disc, given that it has very obvious rings that very obviously pass in front of it and also behind it. If it is a flat disc, that obviously wouldn't work because the whole concept of a ring going around something in 2 dimensions is incoherent.

So, instead, most of what I've heard is that they're either:

1) Relatively small gaseous balls high up in the atmosphere.

2) Objects embedded within or sitting just outside of the firmament.

Which I guess is a suitable explanation so long as you're willing to ignore triangulation & shit.

Pfft. Math. Who wants to do that?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

It ties into a larger worldview that They are keeping us from knowing the Truth.

Truth has a restraining order against them, that's why they're not allowed near it.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    No, we can tell it's round because we can watch it rotate over the course of a----

--oh gosh where'd all this blood come from

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular

Have you ever seen Dark City?

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    An important element of conspiracy theorist worldviews is the notion is that Truth, like capital-T Truthas a platonic ideal, has intrinsic power and value.

By keeping Truth from the populace, conspirators (somehow) empower themselves. In and of itself, deceit is its own reward because it allows you to covet and keep Truth only for yourself and those within your conspiracy

Believing Truth has inherent power is extremely important to theorists because not only does it provide motive to conspirators, it is the method by which the theorists feel superior and empowered themselves.

Because they have the Truth, despite what the conspirators wanted. They might not be rich, or famous, or politically influential, or have custody of their kids anymore, or be allowed to go the public library after the incident, but God dammit they know the Truth, and that can't be taken from them.

That's why being around conspiracy theorists in a group feels like this weird, sad, self congratulatory circle jerk. Because, ironically, in their own minds they are the powerful cabal with the secret knowledge of how the world really works, unlike the rest of the sad, foolish sheeple out there.

So if you try to ask a Flat Earther to explain what the point is to maintaining the supposed lie of a round Earth, he won't be able to tell you. He'll go "Step 1: Deceive people into believing the Earth is round. Step 2: ..., Step 3: Profit!"

Step 2 is inexplicable, it doesn't require explanation from their perspective because it should be obvious! They're withholding Truth! Can't you see how powerful that makes them?!

• Options
    @Decomposey

Do you know if there is a formal designation for land based army vehicles POTUS may be riding?

...Army One?

That sounds kinda lame though.

:|

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Decomposey

Do you know if there is a formal designation for land based army vehicles POTUS may be riding?

...Army One?

Not really army, but, The Beast!

potus-the-beast-graphic-by-daily-mail.jpg

Edit: oh, and relevant to the last page or so conversation:

https://youtu.be/-X8Xfl0JdTQ

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    At this point the only conspiracy I wish was true is that Andy Kaufman never died and went into hiding. Maybe him and Tupac are recording the next biggest thing together...

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    BillyIdle wrote: »
    At this point the only conspiracy I wish was true is that Andy Kaufman never died and went into hiding. Maybe him and Tupac are recording the next biggest thing together...

Dude, didn't you get the message? Tupac had a sex change and became Katy Perry.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Decomposey

...Army One?

Not really army, but, The Beast!

potus-the-beast-graphic-by-daily-mail.jpg

Edit: oh, and relevant to the last page or so conversation:

https://youtu.be/-X8Xfl0JdTQ

Prediction: Crash Course Philosophy #09 is going to be 'Comments Disabled' within an hour of publication.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    BillyIdle wrote: »

I still say Trump 's current run for president is the prank he faked his death for, he's gonna pop out from a bush any day now and reveal it's all just a big joke......

Any day now....

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    most Flat Earthers

Here's the problem with "most Flat Earthers": theflatearthsociety.org is one of the most heavily trolled spaces on the internet that doesn't have "chan" in the name. It's impossible to sort out which ideas are serious, which ones are trolls, and which ones are originally trolls but got adopted as serious.

Hevach on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    most Flat Earthers

Here's the problem with "most Flat Earthers": theflatearthsociety.org is one of the most heavily trolled spaces on the internet that doesn't have "chan" in the name. It's impossible to sort out which ideas are serious, which ones are trolls, and which ones are originally trolls but got adopted as serious.

I'm proud of my post some pages back that combined hollow earth, flat earth, and round earth into a single theory :P

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    So the weather has been alternating between sun with blue sky and white out blizzard conditions.

Can someone here tell those geniuses at HAARP to knock it off?

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    So the weather has been alternating between sun with blue sky and white out blizzard conditions.

HAARP's been shut down for a couple years now. It's actually owned by a university now, I bet you could even get permission to visit!

• Options

HAARP's been shut down for a couple years now. It's actually owned by a university now, I bet you could even get permission to visit!

...How much are they paying you to say that?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

http://www.miskatonic-university.org?

• Options
    Oh God the HAARP. Weather control conspiracies have always bugged me the most because it displays people's absolute ignorance on what a colossal, massive powerhouse Mother Nature is. The amount of energy required to manipulate our atmosphere is probably more than we generate worldwide at the moment.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Oh God the HAARP. Weather control conspiracies have always bugged me the most because it displays people's absolute ignorance on what a colossal, massive powerhouse Mother Nature is. The amount of energy required to manipulate our atmosphere is probably more than we generate worldwide at the moment.

nah, you just need a lot of very well trained butterflies. like and awful lot of them.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    That was what I used to refute the statements of a guy who was claiming he had mastered weather control magic, only to be informed that magic didn't follow the rules of physics because it doesn't physically interact with the world. >.<

In the past 20 minutes, the weather outside my window has gone from sunny and windy, to overcast, horizontal heavy snow and wind bending the trees over, to breezy with blue sky.

Viva Chicago.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Just lost the sun and went back to horizontal snow and rattling windows. I'm in fear of my tennis court time tomorrow.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

University of Alaska Fairbanks, actually. I guess the actually do have it up and running again, according to this article, but if they don't find a source of research grant money in a couple of years they won't be able to continue running the facility.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

University of Alaska Fairbanks, actually. I guess the actually do have it up and running again, according to this article, but if they don't find a source of research grant money in a couple of years they won't be able to continue running the facility.

That's pretty depressing. :|

'Okay; we're done using this thing to explore military applications. Onto to the next mega-'science' project,'

'...Um. Can we maybe use it for some general science research? Because it might be useful for--'

'lol you eggheads. Tell you what, you re-finance your homes and then you can have at it. We're not paying for it if it can't shoot at brown people.'

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm not overweight, I have a
    Pre-existing round bias.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

Even the elements of it that sound reasonable end up being absurd when you do the math.

For example, a common claim is that there are numerous boiler plants where water is boiled and released in plumes to generate storms. Last year this was blamed for an exceptionally large storm system that swept through Tornado Alley doing what you'd expect a storm to do in a place named after tornadoes - a series of plants in rural Texas boiled the water and released it from steam pipes in the New Madrid fault line (really).

Sounds reasonable, right? Boil water, get vapor, saturate the air and get precipitation? I mean, yeah, it could work. Why don't we actually do stuff like that? Because to boil that much water would require a decade's worth of the global energy output, in one place, over three days. You could manage it on "only" a few year's global energy output if you don't actually boil it - there's more efficient ways to evaporate water. But that's still the entire world's global energy output, in one place, pretty much all at once. And these really weren't that impressive as storms - sure they were strong for thunderstorms, but that's all they were. This wasn't a cyclone or hurricane or monsoon.

A solid K1 civilization *might* be able to achieve this, but orders of magnitude build up really quickly on the Kardashev scale - we're closer to termites than we are to the threshold of K1.

The most efficient way would be to spread the water over a very large surface area and let the sun do it. And there are conspiracy theorists who say we actually do do this. There's no guarantee the atmosphere will cooperate, though. And the only place large enough to do this would be the ocean, a major sea, or a very large lake like the Great Lakes. And since there's already water there, you've now spent an immense amount of money to create a storm that would have happened anyway.

The craziest part of all that is that nature is just doing this shit all the time. We as a globe-crushing behemoth of a species, who pride ourselves in our ability to destroy ourselves and everything around us, who have reached our ape fingers across the sky itself to touch every world we can reach, can scrape and scrabble for years, and still not be able to match the energy of a single storm, which at any given time there are hundreds of raging around the planet, giving exactly zero shits about our opinion on the matter.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Even the elements of it that sound reasonable end up being absurd when you do the math.

For example, a common claim is that there are numerous boiler plants where water is boiled and released in plumes to generate storms. Last year this was blamed for an exceptionally large storm system that swept through Tornado Alley doing what you'd expect a storm to do in a place named after tornadoes - a series of plants in rural Texas boiled the water and released it from steam pipes in the New Madrid fault line (really).

Sounds reasonable, right? Boil water, get vapor, saturate the air and get precipitation? I mean, yeah, it could work. Why don't we actually do stuff like that? Because to boil that much water would require a decade's worth of the global energy output, in one place, over three days. You could manage it on "only" a few year's global energy output if you don't actually boil it - there's more efficient ways to evaporate water. But that's still the entire world's global energy output, in one place, pretty much all at once. And these really weren't that impressive as storms - sure they were strong for thunderstorms, but that's all they were. This wasn't a cyclone or hurricane or monsoon.

I beg to differ... not on the part where they made the storms by boiling water, that's just insane. No, the storms we very impressive. My town flooded horribly because we got nearly 2 weeks of straight rain. There was a park on the military base next to my house where I had my goodbye party after they medically discharged me that was 7 feet underwater. So... those were quite impressive!

Trying to explain to people that a hurricane puts out the same amount of power as a 10 megaton nuke every 20 minutes. It's insane how much power these storms have, how much each individual lightning strike has, and to think we somehow managed to slip this ability under the radar is just mind-bogglingly delusional. If we had the power to alter these storms we would have enough power to run the world, and given that ability with some of our nation-building tendencies I can't see how we wouldn't use that to our distinct advantage.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

I beg to differ... not on the part where they made the storms by boiling water, that's just insane. No, the storms we very impressive. My town flooded horribly because we got nearly 2 weeks of straight rain. There was a park on the military base next to my house where I had my goodbye party after they medically discharged me that was 7 feet underwater. So... those were quite impressive!

Trying to explain to people that a hurricane puts out the same amount of power as a 10 megaton nuke every 20 minutes. It's insane how much power these storms have, how much each individual lightning strike has, and to think we somehow managed to slip this ability under the radar is just mind-bogglingly delusional. If we had the power to alter these storms we would have enough power to run the world, and given that ability with some of our nation-building tendencies I can't see how we wouldn't use that to our distinct advantage.

We'd have moon bases. Mars terraformed. Like, we wouldn't have resource conflicts if we could manipulate power on that scale... at least not for a while.

• Options
    You guys are just a bunch of disinformation agents.

I know what's going here.

You're not fooling me!

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    MAGIC!!!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

For those that were outside of HAARPs effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edOLidJOvWk

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Imagine how funny election campaigns would be if the government could control the weather. Just constantly both sides trying to make it rain on opponents speeches and sunny on their own

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Imagine how funny election campaigns would be if the government could control the weather. Just constantly both sides trying to make it rain on opponents speeches and sunny on their own

Who's to say they aren't already doing this, only to cancel each other out in most cases?

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I have a flat earther at work. A guy who has flown from Atlanta, to LA, to Tokyo, to Ramstein, Germany, to London, and to New York in that order. How the hell does he explain that? The center of the earth is Antarctica and everything is around it in a ring on this flat disc and he just flew around the outer ring, like a NASCAR driver going around the track (in his own words...)

I... can't argue with that... I know he's wrong but...

• Options
    It's difficult but sometimes you have to recognize that you simply cannot change a person's mind, and the best you can do is make sure they don't change others'.

• Options

For those that were outside of HAARPs effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edOLidJOvWk

Okay, seeing the snowfall come in over the city like surf at the beach is kind of awesome. In the literal meaning of the word.

This discussion has been closed.