Options

[Titanfall]

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Titanfall but the playerbase vanished quickly and matchmaking was almost always terrible.

I'd really like to enjoy the second one too, but with CoD doing the same huge numbers as usual and Overwatch coming out, I don't feel like the small playerbase issue is going to get resolved.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Do we know what engine Titanfall 2 is going to be on?

I wonder if it will still have bunnyhopping. It was fun to go that fast but also a little silly.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    On Xbox One I never had any trouble finding matches. Lately some of the playlists are sparsely populated, but that's not surprising given its age.

• Options
    jasenj1jasenj1 Registered User regular
    Please forgive my newbishness. I got an XB1 for Christmas and picked up TF cheap. It's great. I never have problems jumping into a game. Yes, all the modes and variations are not full, but there are plenty of people to play with.

I don't understand the calls for customization - especially Titan customization. I've been playing with the premise that there are factory ships churning out Titans that get dropped to ground troops when ready. The Titan then dishes out damage until it is destroyed. Repeat. How/why would you customize something consumable/disposable?

I hope the sword in the TF2 teaser indicates hand to hand combat with the Titans, and that it is far more than mashing the attack button.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Basically, everything and everyone is infinitely expendable in the Titanfall universe.

I'd even venture to say that everyone is a clone.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    jasenj1 wrote: »
    Please forgive my newbishness. I got an XB1 for Christmas and picked up TF cheap. It's great. I never have problems jumping into a game. Yes, all the modes and variations are not full, but there are plenty of people to play with.

I don't understand the calls for customization - especially Titan customization. I've been playing with the premise that there are factory ships churning out Titans that get dropped to ground troops when ready. The Titan then dishes out damage until it is destroyed. Repeat. How/why would you customize something consumable/disposable?

Just because customizing your mecha is kind of a thing people expect in mecha games, and it's fun. Sure it doesn't make a great deal of sense but as you've noticed, the mechanics of Titanfall gameplay don't make a lot of sense in general.

Personally I wanted pilot appearance customization more than Titan customization. Your look was tied to your weapon loadout, which I guess makes some sense if the thought was that you'd be able to know what someone was carrying by appearance but in practice I think Titanfall combat was too fast-paced for that to be practical anyway.
    I hope the sword in the TF2 teaser indicates hand to hand combat with the Titans, and that it is far more than mashing the attack button.

I don't know. I wouldn't expect For Honor with robots. If you make the melee combat too complex at a certain point nobody's going to do it because it will be so much easier and more efficient just to shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YyBtMxZgQs

Gaslight on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I know I'm in the minority here, but giant robot melee annoys me. Give me better electro-railguns, not a sword!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Titanfall 2 is gonna be my jam for sure. For my money, it's the best-controlling FPS in years.

Except for that railgun challenge. Ugh. I was able to finish that one thanks to you and a buddy of mine leaving me the final shot.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    jasenj1 wrote: »

I don't completely follow it either, saying that as someone who was in the original beta--really, aside from weapons customization (which is obvious and mandatory), and unique chassis within the titans themselves (the same), I didn't really need to alter the Titans cosmetically in any way--chassis color (on top of team color), additional decals, unique designs.

Really, the only customization addition I cared about was the cockpit voice--and mostly because you actively hear that, inside your mission, and it was an excellent feature in the context of a futuristic military killing machine. I'm glad that got added. But I basically picked a unit emblem once and forgot about it.

Still, better to make options that some people use, then not make those options at all (within the constraints of development resources, of course).

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I wonder if they'll try to do cross-platform play with this. That could go a long way toward eliminating the deteriorating player base the first one bad.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    I know I'm in the minority here, but giant robot melee annoys me. Give me better electro-railguns, not a sword!

I'm still an advocate of just punching them in the face.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    You could always load your electro-railguns with swords.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    You could always load your electro-railguns with swords.

Swordgun.jpg

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    So, this image is in the background of the official site and suggests at least one type of titan can wall run.

titanfall-2-wall-running-titan.jpg

• Options
    Hah, how does that work?

Titan tries to run across a wall. Titan's foot smashes through wall on the first step. Titan now has foot stuck in wall and is promptly rodeo'd by an opposing pilot. Pilot ejects as his Tifan is destroyed. "Well shit, that went not at all like I planned. There's another $150 down the drain."

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    It's hard to tell from the pic. Might be that the Titan is just running next to the wall.

Though a Stryder lite that had some pilot mobility could be an interesting thing.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    It's hard to tell from the pic. Might be that the Titan is just running next to the wall.

Though a Stryder lite that had some pilot mobility could be an interesting thing.

That appears to be a pilot, wallrunning, followed by his faithful mechanical buddy, also wallrunning, and I don't care how they did it I want to do it.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I imagine two options:

A new, fragile class of Titan capable of short-distance wall-running

A Stryder type class that can follow wall-running pilots in Guard Mode

• Options
    What about the bright yellow likely custom color?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I pray to video game jesus that we finally have real customization

Either that, or they just hinted at a third faction

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Man I want more Titanfall in my life.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    I pray to video game jesus that we finally have real customization

Either that, or they just hinted at a third faction

I... would hope that they don't make their third faction yellow. :P

• Options
    I'm leery of color customization. I liked being able to look at a mech and tell which team it's on!

I'm just being a big ol' stick in the mud about this sequel, aren't I...

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Hah, how does that w----
    GIANT ROBOT

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    We're talking about enormous robots that fall through the atmosphere and slam into the ground with no real parachute or brake or heat shield, but don't create a noticeable crater or damage and are perfectly fine, and also we have FTL travel.

It's safe to say that either physics doesn't work correctly, or humans have made physics our bitch in this universe.

• Options
    (Human wallruns across a two-story shanty to jump across to the roof opposite)
    (Robot attempts to wallrun, accidentally jumpkicks the building down)

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Arteen wrote: »
    On Xbox One I never had any trouble finding matches. Lately some of the playlists are sparsely populated, but that's not surprising given its age.

Yeah, it's hardly launch day, but you can still absolutely find attrition games with barely any waiting. Other game modes (especially the ones that suck--you know the ones) are much, much sparser, but the Titanfall community on XB1 is awesome and still there.

On PC or Xbox 360? Yeah, sorry guys. :(

Synthesis on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Edit: October 28th!

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Oh shit!!!

Wait, wait wait wait, is this the first time it's been confirmed that:
    The Titans are at least somewhat (and possibly fully) sentient? I always just assumed they were dumb mechs that had only basic routines for autopilot functions when humans weren't actively piloting them. This makes for a very neat twist, and my interest in the single player campaign just shot way up.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I am definitely amped about Titanfall 2.

I am also still worried about it getting fucked over again by an idiotic Origin-only release.

• Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    I don't think there's ever been anything stated outright, maybe some flavor text for the AI voice selections. Think I remember some mention of it on the SID profile.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    2+ years ago: "Titanfall has no single player waste of money boooooo"

Now: Overwatch is the biggest FPS going, by a long shot.

I don't get gamers.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    I am definitely amped about Titanfall 2.

I am also still worried about it getting fucked over again by an idiotic Origin-only release.

Am I the only one who'd be genuinely surprised if it wasn't an Origin exclusive on PC? It doesn't seem like EA's inclined to bring it's games to Steam anymore for some time now.

Granted, I had no experience with the original on PC--the XB1 by far had the largest, longest-lived community for it, so I'm glad that's where I got it. The PC can be brutal when it comes to pruning online FPS (looking at you, Battlefront).

• Options
    It will almost certainly be Origin-only, just like the first game was.

Which sucks, but oh well. It is what it is.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Multiplayer trailer was also released:

https://youtu.be/2ISYN1AshZY

Looks fun!

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

I don't get gamers.

I think the issue with Titanfall was it tried to pretend it had a campaign which turned out to be multiplayer matches with some throwaway story interspersed, it was deceptive

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Also was that Optimus Prime as the Titan AI voice?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

I don't get gamers.

Two years is a long time. And whilst Titanfall was full priced (plus the inevitable map packs which, of course, ended up segmenting the community), Overwatch is priced significantly less, and is likely to keep all the core gameplay stuff (maps, new characters) free.

Eh, either doesn't specifically matter to me though. I enjoyed Titanfall 1, even coming in at the tail-end, and I suspect the SP campaign for TF is going to be dull along the lines of most modern FPS campaigns, so that doesn't mean much to me either.

I'd probably be happy enough to play TFall 2 if it's as good. They had a really solid gameplay dynamic there with the way things escalated over the course of a round.

EDIT: One big caveat though: I'm presuming they learned from the débâcle of last time and are going to decide NOT to go the Map Pack route (considering that in the end they made all map packs free for all players in TF1). I'm guessing they're going to stick to that for TF2, otherwise could scare away quite a few people before the game's even out.

subedii on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I think it wasn't just SP feeling empty but MP was also lacking in the customization department.

Those things combined made Titanfall seem kind of barebones.

Also did you see that sick ass sword parry!? Oh my god.

Dragkonias on