Options

[The Witcher Thread] HEARTS OF STONE xp out 13/10/15. Comes with 2 physical gwent decks

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    So I guess Blood and Wine is being delayed.

That's a shame, though still looks like it'll be out sometime in April/May ish!

Having finished the main game but not even touched Hearts of Stone I'm going to wait till Blood and Wine comes out and then do a New game+ - with the expansions and all the massive patches it'll be like playing a different game ha!

• Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    I'm sure it'll be worth the wait, xcom 2 in the meantime! Good time to be a gamer.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I started Hearts of Stone a few days ago, and so far I like it. They sure do like starting fights with you in the middle of a crowd of guys, though! I only got out of the cave with the Flaming Rose guys by using Aard to knock a few over for quick kills. Not sure how I'm going to clear the Olfieri dudes on the beach, though - that trick doesn't seem to work (also: eff dudes with polearms)!

Also, I found the monster in the Oxenfurt sewers to be a spectacular pain in the ass as a sword-focused Geralt. I eventually did 95% of the job with Firestream Igni (which was counterintuitive, given what you learn earlier), but I'm curious what other strategies are effective?

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    A whole lot of dodging. Took forever.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »
    A whole lot of dodging. Took forever.
    Absolutely. Thing is, every time I got close, he'd do his ground smash and send me flying. Half the time I didn't even get a hit in!

It's a good thing Quen is god-tier, or I'd still be fighting that jerk.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Not sure how much it helped, but I used the decoction that limited stagger effects.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Man, I've hardly played this lately and keep meaning to get back into it. I only stopped because Fallout 4 came out, even though I was really enjoying Witching around the countryside.
    Maybe I'll try to give it some time this weekend!

In the same boat; booted TW3 up last night for the first time in a couple months, after taking a 'short' break upon finishing the Bloody Baron stuff. And then died immediately in Velen to some drowners or somesuch.

I had to start a new game and re-play the tutorial to re-familiarize myself with the combat/controls, and still nearly died in the first ghoul fight of the prologue.
    I've completely lost the rhythm of blocking/dodge/parry. It's gonna hurt until I get it back...

• Options
    Ugh, this Olfieri mage is such a dick!

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Senna1 wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    Man, I've hardly played this lately and keep meaning to get back into it. I only stopped because Fallout 4 came out, even though I was really enjoying Witching around the countryside.
    Maybe I'll try to give it some time this weekend!

In the same boat; booted TW3 up last night for the first time in a couple months, after taking a 'short' break upon finishing the Bloody Baron stuff. And then died immediately in Velen to some drowners or somesuch.

I had to start a new game and re-play the tutorial to re-familiarize myself with the combat/controls, and still nearly died in the first ghoul fight of the prologue.
    I've completely lost the rhythm of blocking/dodge/parry. It's gonna hurt until I get it back...

I went back to it on ps4 and promptly got my Arse handed to me. However, a couple loads later if gotten the hang of it.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    So, Whoreson
    Is there anyone who let that fucker live? Why didn't Geralt comment on the gruesome horror show when talking to him?

There wasn't a dialogue option for "I don't believe in the death penalty per se but in an unstable city state where power is held by extralegal organizations and there is little or no civil structure for their persecution, let alone rehabilitation, it seems morally good to execute people who are likely to go on causing terrible harm to the vulnerable and underprivileged, especially out of psychosexual sadism and other compulsions"

So I took whichever would let me stab him in the ribs.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Geralt has seen some shit, man. It's unlikely there's very much that'd surprise him at this point.

Ultimately how he responds to it is up to the player, but it usually has to be obviously and directly personal for him to lose his cool on his own.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    So, Whoreson
    Is there anyone who let that fucker live? Why didn't Geralt comment on the gruesome horror show when talking to him?

There wasn't a dialogue option for "I don't believe in the death penalty per-se, but in an unstable city state where power is held by extralegal organizations and there is little or no civil structure for their persecution, let alone rehabilitation, it seems morally good to execute people who are likely to go on causing terrible harm to the vulnerable and underprivileged, especially out of psychosexual sadism and other compulsions."

I:
    killed him. My Geralt was probably thinking it but couldn't form the words due to being overcome by rage.

• Options
    The real question is

Why did you add a hyphen to my per se

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    So, Whoreson

There wasn't a dialogue option for "I don't believe in the death penalty per se but in an unstable city state where power is held by extralegal organizations and there is little or no civil structure for their persecution, let alone rehabilitation, it seems morally good to execute people who are likely to go on causing terrible harm to the vulnerable and underprivileged, especially out of psychosexual sadism and other compulsions"

Seriously, that dude needed to die, though there was a part of me that really wanted to find a way to get most of the gangs to just kill each other and have me destroy what was left in the end. Not sure if that's possible, and I did miss a chance to hang with the dwarf gang, but I know I KINDA need most of them to get rid of Radovid, and Radovid most certainly needs to die.

There are times I feel the price paid for letting someone get punished is WAY too high, and there's times in the game where it just flat out lures you into letting assholes thrive by being too nice. But there are certain people that just need to die in the game. Some of them you have to wait way to damn long for it to happen too.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    So, Whoreson

If you let him live, there's a whole thing with Ciri and a fate worse than death but the player doesn't really know that at the time. Also, give what happens with Dudu, killing Whoreson still comes out as the best option.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    The real question is

Why did you add a hyphen to my per se
    I have no idea. I was tired, maybe? *shrug*

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Also, I found the monster in the Oxenfurt sewers to be a spectacular pain in the ass as a sword-focused Geralt. I eventually did 95% of the job with Firestream Igni (which was counterintuitive, given what you learn earlier), but I'm curious what other strategies are effective?

Dodging + bombs (ignite with igni) worked well for me. Didn't use bombs that much throughout the game, but at times they're pretty great.

Alegis on
  • Options
    I made it to Skellige
    Oh it's just one moderate island, that's--

*pans out*

Are you fkin kidding me

I am halfway through the game, maybe

• Options
    I made it to Skellige
    Oh it's just one moderate island, that's--

*pans out*

Are you fkin kidding me

I am halfway through the game, maybe

Welcome to Norway, where everyone has an Irish accent. ;)

Seriously, I found that a little hilarious. Then again, I get that if you had REAL Scandinavian accents for folks, half of us dirty American peasants would need subtitles on all the time.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    I actually rather liked that they decided Eastern Europe is to Scandinavia as England is to Scotland/Ireland

Either go with all Slavic and Scandinavian accents, or come up with more familiar equivalents

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    So, delving back into this pretty heavily after dying a whole bunch re-learning the combat.

Finishing off my first stint in Velen, before heading to Novigrad, by clearing green sidequests. I was working on the Griffin Witcher set treasure hunt. Without spoiling anything, this is a lvl 12-13 quest, and I was 12 at the time.

Halfway through the dungeon, out pops a lvl 20 leshen. WTF dudes? I am not ashamed to say I killed that guy by cheesing some poisonous gas combined with Igni.

Anyone else run into this guy in
    Dragonslayer's Grotto? It was super fun when the leshen was followed up by a lvl 13 Ekimmara...

Senna1 on
  • Options
    Can I just say, regarding Hearts of Stone and the fallen knights.
    Fallen Knight: Witness me, brothers!
    Me: Wut?
    Fallen Knight: I live, I die, I live again!
    Me: ... Are you shitting me?! Fallen knights spew War Boys lines?!

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    So CD Projekt Red put out an April Fool's trailer. Apologies if this has been posted already, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoL1NRh8JOI

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    So CD Projekt Red put out an April Fool's trailer. Apologies if this has been posted already, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoL1NRh8JOI

I kinda want that sticker

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Hype intensifies!
    vm6lhDp.jpg

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Releasing sometime in June, I hope? :)

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Releasing "soon" I hope. I've wanted some more Witcher 3 in my life, but have basically exhausted everything I care to do in the base game and HoS. Need more content!

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    http://thewitcher.com/en/news/view/1255

Huge screenshots, seems Geralt will be holding court/parley with more royalty (and mushrooms):
    kTM5pOR.png

qzotq9f.png

FniHrzl.png

May?! :)

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    That second screenshot is like Geralt in Wonderland.

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    They announced at PAX that they're adding a fifth Gwent faction in Blood and Wine: Skellige. It doesn't sound like they have plans for standalone Gwent yet though.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Hype intensifies!
    vm6lhDp.jpg

If you went to PAX East, you could sit in this throne and have your picture taken. Complete with the creepy monster over your head.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Dove back into the game after 6 months away (work stuff made me fall away from it then I found it so daunting to try and relearn everything). Was Lvl 12 a few days ago, now level 23 and just arriving at Kaer Morhen.

If some dude came up to me all like "Bro this is the best game of all time" I'd be all "...yeah, you might be right."

Easily the best game I've played in years. My only criticism would be that combat could be a little better and that the Skellige part of the main quest's pacing, writing and design feel kind of rushed.

But make no mistake this is the only game of the past 5 years at least that I'd be comfortable calling a masterpiece

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Finally, a release date for B&W: May 30th. Woo! :)

• Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    Glad to finally get a confirmation.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Easily the best game I've played in years. My only criticism would be that combat could be a little better and that the Skellige part of the main quest's pacing, writing and design feel kind of rushed.

I think the presentation of Skellige was hindered by the nature of its environment, such that a player is more likely to push through the "main quest" content and not let it "breathe" in a similar manner to how players treat Velen. Also, I really love all the quests pertaining to the heirs and the bears.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Bought Witcher 2 for dirt-cheap waaaaaaaay back when, and as part of my attempt to clear out my backlog I'm finally playing it. This is my first Witcher. I just got to the first city where you're supposed to watch a dwarf hang.

Does... does it get better? The combat is garbage, the inventory system is a nightmare, the game does an absolutely terrible job of getting you up to narrative speed (I still have no idea why I'm supposed to care about the random mage Geralt boinks), there's an irritating amount of Proper Names (just call it a fucking stun bomb, for fuck's sake!), none of the characters are really grabbing me and it's unpolished as all hell. Geralt's just some generic wandering badass so far. The entire thing just strikes me as Game of Thrones Lite so far. I mean, I dig me a good WRPG but so far I'm pretty baffled at the heaps of praise the game got. Or am I missing something?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Finally, a release date for B&W: May 30th. Woo! :)

I don't think this is actually officially confirmed is it? Supposedly listed on the steam page, but I've heard lots of different stuff.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Bought Witcher 2 for dirt-cheap waaaaaaaay back when, and as part of my attempt to clear out my backlog I'm finally playing it. This is my first Witcher. I just got to the first city where you're supposed to watch a dwarf hang.

Does... does it get better? The combat is garbage, the inventory system is a nightmare, the game does an absolutely terrible job of getting you up to narrative speed (I still have no idea why I'm supposed to care about the random mage Geralt boinks), there's an irritating amount of Proper Names (just call it a fucking stun bomb, for fuck's sake!), none of the characters are really grabbing me and it's unpolished as all hell. Geralt's just some generic wandering badass so far. The entire thing just strikes me as Game of Thrones Lite so far. I mean, I dig me a good WRPG but so far I'm pretty baffled at the heaps of praise the game got. Or am I missing something?

Well yes, but if you're already not enjoying it now I'm not sure you'd like the later stuff either.

The plot splits at the end of that act on two different paths and I'll always praise it for this decision but hey if you're not enjoying it no reason to suffer though it.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

You're missing something.

That being said, not every game is for everyone! And that's okay! But "I don't get why everyone likes this popular thing" is probably not going to do you much good.

These games are ultra heavy on continuity and lore, and the combat demands that you "git gud". Witcher 2 is also infamous for its reverse difficulty. The beginning of the game is far more difficult than the end.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    You should make sure you're at least running the Enhanced Edition and not Vanilla Witcher 2, though. It's free and improves the combat and a bit of the narrative (mostly at the end, though).

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
This discussion has been closed.