As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] (We Are) The Road Crew

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Man, Babymetal is the definition of harmless. Even being a prepackaged Japanese idol band they show more originality than half of these acts that try to portray themselves as "serious arteests".

Guh.

• Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    New album is tight, and I've never heard a band shift so seamlessly between hyper-DragonForce power metal and giant grooves like that and yet retain some kind of cohesion due to the vocals. Metal Resistance is legit fun. I'm biased though and have listened to J-Pop for decades.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Decibel streaming the upcoming Phobocosm:

http://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2016/5/9/thirsty-and-miserable-phobocosm-bringer-of-drought-full-album-stream

More slow parts, more atmospheric suffocation

(Insert heart eyes emoji here)

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    New album is tight, and I've never heard a band shift so seamlessly between hyper-DragonForce power metal and giant grooves like that and yet retain some kind of cohesion due to the vocals. Metal Resistance is legit fun. I'm biased though and have listened to J-Pop for decades.

I mean, come on, how can you hold any ill will towards these girls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6UZFkrv9-E

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

God they're wonderful.

• Options
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Noice! I heard they had a new one coming out, dunno anything about it.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular

Hey Auto,

What are, say, five or six of your favorite J-Pop records?

Now, Auto, I know what you heard me say is "you should create an epic catalog of recommendations via Rate Your Music." But, if I were to just randomly grab a fistful of J-Pop what should it be?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    It really all depends what we define as J-pop. To me the term describes the super happy, melodic, memorable 80s new wave-inspired stuff with injections of early 90s house/dance, guitars (even solos sometimes), and all manner of outdated junk that sounds absolutely pristine in fusion. Nami Tamaki, Ami Suzuki, Utada Hikaru, Ayumi Hamasaki, Jyongri, Namie Amuro, Yuki Kimura, Maaya Sakamoto (she also does famous anime themes, most of them have), all fall into this sort of category, as does the bonkers candy-pop of Kyary Pamyu Pamyu. This grouping also includes the idol bands (the non-metal versions of Babymetal), they just bring more energy and voices. Bear in mind that a lot of these artists, the musicians and producers behind them are largely repressed 80s metalheads earning paychecks by writing this insanely kinetic, uplifting pop stuff with the myriad of influences. Anyway here are samples from five albums that I love, not all of these are official videos obviously, and for at least one I could not find a high quality studio clip of the tune. Actually strike that, I replaced that song, it just sounded awful at that compression.

Ami Suzuki Dolce
    Jyongri Close to Fantasy
    Kyary Pamyu Pamyu Revolution (and if you thought Babymetal was crazy bubblegum...)
    Nami Tamaki Make Progress
    Utada Hikaru Ultra Blue
    But there are also a lot of J-pop rock bands that are great (L'arc~en~ciel, Gackt, etc) and then 'hipper', more modern pop bands who have a modern avant-garde, ethereal, electronica edge like Ferri.

Gackt
    L'Arc~en~Ciel
    Ferri
    Also, and I know this is French and not pop, but it's probably the best video I've ever seen and has a kickass song to boot, if you folks haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er416Ad3R1g

Yes, I am disturbingly eclectic and you were warned. But hopefully this answer's your question a little.

autothrall on
  • Options
    TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    Just chiming in to say that I love Arktis and Stam1na's Elokuutio is really quite addictive and enjoyable!

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Todtgelichter - Rooms is another Avant-garde Black Metal album I've been enjoying. Here's the 'tube of the album:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhCZbAYRuLc

Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    watching rob zombie roast those people brought a smile to my face

my favorite is probably, "they roll harder than you"

like fuck, rob, crank the knob down a tad before you toss these degenerates into the oven

that said, while i don't listen to babymetal all that much, the mordant howling that occurs whenever you invoke their name brings to mind a scene where someone with a scroll held out vertically in front of their face reads a list of the king's new decrees to a crowd of goblins only to have them begin literally shitting themselves and ejaculating blood in a frenzy of savage thrashing every time the speaker mentions soap, bathing, and hygiene

moving away from the bizarre alchemy lab that is my brain, i have to share with everyone something that is definitely not metal but still somehow has an overlap involved: gost's album "behemoth"

this is... what would you call it? retrowave? whatever it is, i am placing that down on this particular table because i have found that artists like gost and dance with the dead produce music that seems to tickle the same regions of my brain that metal does. black metal and power metal, in particular. just something about the catchy rhythms, the mesmerizing beat, the deep bass, the whole jam of it all appeals to me in a way that's difficult to describe. i've found that a lot of metal musicians start dabbling in this kind of thing, or perhaps they even have their roots planted in that whole spectrum to begin with. an absolutely staggering amount of my metalhead friends and acquaintances, and their friends and acquaintances and so on, wind up gravitating towards this musical organism eventually and an overwhelming amount of them end up liking it in the same way that they like their metal.

i just thought it was an interesting personal maneuver that happens sometimes. you really dig one genre of music, then discover a completely new one you didn't even know existed and you're both pleased and astonished to realize that it strums the same kind of pleasure notes in your brain that the other thing did. there's a certain way that particular sub-genres of metal make me feel and discovering a different style of music that evoked those same brain waves was a really neat experience, i think. i dunno, i'm just weird and most people probably don't care about it that much, but i figured i would share that bit if information because i found it fascinating.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    Also, and I know this is French and not pop, but it's probably the best video I've ever seen and has a kickass song to boot, if you folks haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er416Ad3R1g

Yes, I am disturbingly eclectic and you were warned. But hopefully this answer's your question a little.

Carpenter Brut is probably my favourite retrowave band, with Timecop1983, the latter having more dreamwave vibe.

I really clicked for this Daniel Deluxe single (the video really helped !), it so harrowing. However, the rest of their music didn't really do it for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHNakk1oM7g

• Options
    edited May 2016
    holy shit i stumbled into a discussion about the same thing i wanted to start a discussion about without even realizing it

this is what i get for not reading the preceding posts carefully enough

i just kinda wander in here from time to time and shout something before turning around and heading out

the doorknob usually hits me on the ass

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    holy shit i stumbled into a discussion about the same thing i wanted to start a discussion about without even realizing it

this is what i get for not reading the preceding posts carefully enough

i just kinda wander in here from time to time and shout something before turning around and heading out

the doorknob usually hits me on the ass

have you read this interview with Perturbator? He talks about the crossover between metal and synth wave quite a bit. The culprit, at least in his case, is that he was in a metal band before, and carried that influence over to electronic music which was entirely new to him. So the composition sensibilities just... translated over. Gost and Carpenter Brut both get a mention.

I stumbled into all of this via Lazerhawk, who I remember mentioning in a past thread before

• Options
  • Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular

This is why I love going through your non-metal recs as much as, if not more than, the metal ones :biggrin:

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Love you Auto.

<3

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSedIkxcnL4

I definitely hear those influences, and naturally was super excited for a band attempting this, but the couple tracks I've listened through aren't all that memorable.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I've never listened to Vektor before, but I'm digging this new album.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
  • Options
    The Mantle is still one of my favorite albums.

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    They've been keeping on for a long time and accomplished a lot. I wish em godspeed in whatever comes next.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I really tried to like Agalloch, but I just couldn't get into most of their stuff. I went back to Pale Folklore a year or two ago (might've even mentioned it in this thread) to see if my tastes had changed enough, but nope. I think I also listened to a few of their other albums on youtube. Oh well, can't like everything!

• Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    Damn, Agalloch was one of the first metal bands that I really got into. Haven't listened to them in awhile but The Mantle and Ashes Against the Grain pretty much defined a year or two of my life.

I think I'm going to listen to all of their work and reminisce over lost and forgotten memories

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    I really tried to like Agalloch, but I just couldn't get into most of their stuff. I went back to Pale Folklore a year or two ago (might've even mentioned it in this thread) to see if my tastes had changed enough, but nope. I think I also listened to a few of their other albums on youtube. Oh well, can't like everything!

Give The Mantle a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w5cLn0oL5g

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Give The Mantle a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w5cLn0oL5g

Yeah, I tried that one too. I think I liked it better than Pale Folklore, but it still didn't do much for me. Maybe I'll give it another listen.

In the meantime:

https://youtu.be/VEcc7lp5uP0

• Options

Not really into them either, and they were one of the least engaging bands I've ever seen live. The one they put out a few years ago, Marrow of the Spirit? That was alright.

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular

Goddammit, this video led me down the rabbit hole and now I love them. I'm even trying to see if I can get tickets to the Seattle show but I think I may have waited too long.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular

Not really into them either, and they were one of the least engaging bands I've ever seen live. The one they put out a few years ago, Marrow of the Spirit? That was alright.

That's interesting, because everyone I've talked to says their show here in Victoria last summer was one of the best they've ever seen. I wasn't that into it, mainly because I didn't know their music at all, so I'm not really sure why they felt that way.

• Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    I love the Mantle a ton, so that's a bummer. Oh well :(

• Options
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    Goddammit, this video led me down the rabbit hole and now I love them. I'm even trying to see if I can get tickets to the Seattle show but I think I may have waited too long.

No shame in that, once Wulf is old enough I will also be taking him to a gig.

I do wonder if they will have the 'rotating lineup' like other Japanese Idol bands do when the members get older (some of them have been going on for decades strong with refreshed rosters).

• Options
    edited May 2016
    That's interesting, because everyone I've talked to says their show here in Victoria last summer was one of the best they've ever seen. I wasn't that into it, mainly because I didn't know their music at all, so I'm not really sure why they felt that way.

I went with a group of friends I hadn't seen in awhile, and most of them were Agalloch fans, much moreso than me (I dabble, but don't think they're all that). I'm talking "The Mantle is the greatest metal album of all time"-level fans (until I reminded them that this or that Maiden record was their favorite, 'Oh yeah!'). None of them were terribly impressed by the gig either. Maybe an off night. I kept checking the clock.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they are some shit band. I got sent the debut for my old zine, before they became a thing, and I purchased the next couple discs voluntarily and never felt ripped off. I find Marrow is one I will occasionally break out. There is a mood and/or a setting where their material is definitely very effective, but watching them perform it that evening just seemed lackluster, especially the vocals, and also how a lot of their chord patterns just felt like blander 4-chord Gothic metal progressions stretched out and transformed into a rustic/artsy black metal with some tremolo picked lines. Then again, that is EXACTLY the appeal for some folks.

Not hated at all. Definitely not an In This Moment for me.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I'm dead sure I got Ravage Ritual's Soul Eater from a tip in this thread, a couple of years ago or so, but it's still so goddamn good! :) Thanks, whomever!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2cKdV13O6c

Tribulation on another US tour this august, apparently.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    edited May 2016

is it weird to not be a fan of in this moment at all, but being totally all for maria brink

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Hmm.

A rap-metal/dubstep fusion band.

By a couple of guys from Buckcherry

https://youtu.be/GWXCNVlYbbE

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    It's like someone constructed a band based exclusively on things I hate!

• Options
    SICK!

no, I'm talking about how I feel after hearing that

• Options

is it weird to not be a fan of in this moment at all, but being totally all for maria brink

16a1e9f83bb9029434e35246408ad0f4.jpg

Nope, not wierd at all.

• Options
    I think she's a pretty decent vocalist.

This discussion has been closed.