Options

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, but not over the lameness of countdowns

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I never really played the old games. I mean, I tried the original, but without the nostalgia goggles, I can't get past how clunky and dated it all feels.

I played the original Deus Ex for the first time about 6 years ago, and its dated-ness didn't really bother me at all. The setting, gameplay, story, and choices therein were still very compelling to me.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    You are a more patient man than I.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    A DE1 remake could be a stellar, profitable success by updating the gameplay to something modern and implementing simply decent graphics instead of trying to make cutting-edge visuals. About the only thing HR actually improved on over DE1 was the updated visuals and gameplay; the story isn't much, choices of any meaningful kind are almost completely nonexistent, and the environments are pretty cramped.

With a focus on good visual design over mega-HD textures, a modern DE1 remake could easily be done for far less than the standard AAA game. The level design and story are pretty much already done, which would leave plenty of effort to focus on things like the audio, gameplay, and designing objects and whatnot.

Heck, now that the consoles that crippled the size of the environments in HR have been replaced, the HR engine itself could probably do the job, even with the far more massive environments of DE1. Wouldn't even need to change the gameplay much from HR, just throw in DE1's weapons with new models; DE1's environments already have lots of low barriers and boxes to use for stealthy gameplay.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    I never got too far in the original Deus Ex either. Think I ended up watching a friend play it. I got as far as shooting a person in the head with a tranq round and it having no effect. Couldn't handle that. ;P
    Tranq rounds do have an effect, it just takes a bit for them to work. They're not a stealth option, they're purely there for if you want to be a pacifist.

Stick with the prod, prod with the prod

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    I never got too far in the original Deus Ex either. Think I ended up watching a friend play it. I got as far as shooting a person in the head with a tranq round and it having no effect. Couldn't handle that. ;P
    Tranq rounds do have an effect, it just takes a bit for them to work. They're not a stealth option, they're purely there for if you want to be a pacifist.

Stick with the prod, prod with the prod
    Sometimes you've gotta make a silent takedown.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Old men

are the future

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Old men

are the future

No, within 6 months.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Don't think its as good as the Human Revolution trailer but thats one of my favourite trailers of all time. Still looks great though

That soundtrack, love how it starts slow and low key and just builds and builds into an epic tune.
    Deus Ex always have great soundtracks that just set the mood for the game so well

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The Human Revolution is my all-time favorite trailer. In fact, it might be one of my all-time favorite movies. I don't think that this trailer is meant to compete with that one, though; the HR trailer is a mini-movie, while this seems like a more cinematic bulletpoint list. It's literally "here's a couple of weapons I have, here are half a dozen augs, and check it out, here are two completely opposite ways for me to approach one scenario".

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    It's pretty damn tough to top Icarus for trailer music.

• Options
    I'll never stop looking.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    AHLL TAEK YUE TUH HAYULL

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I get what they're doing with the trailer, and I approve, but it does look weird to the uninitiated. It screams 'we screwed up the gameplay diversity last time, and we REALLY want to emphasize that we fixed it now'.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    The Human Revolution is my all-time favorite trailer. In fact, it might be one of my all-time favorite movies. I don't think that this trailer is meant to compete with that one, though; the HR trailer is a mini-movie, while this seems like a more cinematic bulletpoint list. It's literally "here's a couple of weapons I have, here are half a dozen augs, and check it out, here are two completely opposite ways for me to approach one scenario".

Yeah, the equivalent Mankind Divided trailer was the reveal one. All story, no gameplay. This is more of a launch trailer type deal, showing off the stuff you can do.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I'm kind of annoyed by the Collector's Edition situation for this game. This thing costs $140, and has an Adam statuette in it. I want everything in there other than the statuette (and I'm not too interested in paying $140 for the whole package, either). Sometimes you get options: Collector's Edition with some stuff, Super Collector's Edition with some more stuff, or Totally The Real Fan Collector's Edition with yet more stuff, but in this case it looks like the statue edition is all there is.

Actually, I'm having some difficulty determining if the Collector's Edition even comes in PC flavor, so it might not even be relevant for me.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Jim Sterling said he heard from insiders that Square-Enix was really skittish about greenlighting and funding any big titles for the PS4/Xbone because they didn't have much faith in the sales of new platforms, which is the reason the new Hitman ended up being episodic. It looks like they changed gears once sales of the new consoles turned out to be strong, and that's why Deus Ex got pushed back a year to improve it, but I wonder what the impact on the final product will be.

august on
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Jim Sterling said he heard from insiders that Square-Enix was really skittish about greenlighting and funding any big titles for the PS4/Xbone because they didn't have much faith in the sales of new platforms, which is the reason the new Hitman ended up being episodic. It looks like they changed gears once sales of the new consoles turned out to be strong, and that's why Deus Ex got pushed back a year to improve it, but I wonder what the impact on the final product will be.

Technically Square-Enix was right about sales of new platforms, but they were only right about that in Japan, and even then the country's grown into PS4 over time.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Solid trailer.

Though I laughed when it brought up the contents of the Collector's Edition at the end.

An Exclusive Black and Gold "Prism" Box! Be still my beating heart! A sampler from the OST? A mission? A statue? 48 whole pages of art?

Plus a chortle at the "Limited Edition Steelbook" showing off the game disk that presumably will just have a Steam installer on it.

For around $220 Canadian?

Yeah yeah, I don't have to get it (and am definitely not at that price), but it feels like they're reaching to claim value here.

Seriously, the box?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I'm kind of annoyed by the Collector's Edition situation for this game. This thing costs $140, and has an Adam statuette in it. I want everything in there other than the statuette (and I'm not too interested in paying $140 for the whole package, either). Sometimes you get options: Collector's Edition with some stuff, Super Collector's Edition with some more stuff, or Totally The Real Fan Collector's Edition with yet more stuff, but in this case it looks like the statue edition is all there is.

Actually, I'm having some difficulty determining if the Collector's Edition even comes in PC flavor, so it might not even be relevant for me.

I know this is from a month back, but I just wanted to mention this:

According to my preorder confirmation page, there is, indeed, a PC Collector's Edition (as that's what I have on reserve).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Sumanai wrote: »

My only issue with this Apartheid thing.

If people with augmentations were vulnerable enough to being hacked that it resulted in the deaths of five MILLION people. There simply wouldn't BE any more augmented people outside of elite military units.

There wouldn't be a "debate" about segregating the population, their augs would be forcibly removed, and depending on where in the globe they were, either be put into counseling or simply executed.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Huh? You really think that Western nations would simply rip out augs from accident victims, those born with disabilities, burn victims, wounded veterans, etc.? Because I don't see how that's any more realistic than segregating the augmented population from the non-augs until they can be made 'safe'.

• Options
    If a hacked person would be made into a crazy murder bot at the stroke of a keyboard, you're absolutely right they would.

It would be the biggest safety recall in history, and the implementation of such a recall would vary depending on location. But the idea that after a hacking event of that magnitude people would be allowed to retain those faulty systems is absurd.

It might cause civil wars, and even unrest, but it doesn't even made sense of WHY people would want to retain those augs if they could be hacked to that extent and on that scale.

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Well if you were a person without legs or arms. Some people who have gotten used to having these prosthetic limbs might not want to go back. They might rather have someone do research on how to prevent the hacking so that they can keep their limbs. Or, it makes them feel like a superhero because they could do things they could never do before. Or some people are so attached to their limbs that getting them removed would be like getting your biological arm removed.

I say that it's definitely in the HIGHLY UNLIKELY category, but still plausible for people want to want to keep their augs.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Like, 5,000 people killed as a direct result of people getting hacked would be enough to get governments to clamp down severely on the stuff if not outright ban them.

Five fuckin million? I don't know how you can have that many deaths in two goddamn years without everyone throwing all machines ever into the sun. That is a seriously absurd amount of people! So much so it actually sounds really stupid!

That's kind of a dumb premise, game!

Still looking forward to it though!

• Options
    You're talking about state-sponsored forced surgery, and completely disregarding these hypothetical people's personhood. And the people would want to retain them likely because they're not plug-and-play and they represent the chance of having a normal life. A recall would, conceivably, require invasive surgery, high risk of infection, more rehab, and the loss of what ability they had just gained.

Let me put it this way: I am disabled. Have been since birth. I've undergone 45 surgeries in order to give me what limited functionality I have, most of them osteotomies, which are quite painful to undergo. I also have plates in each hip, two 18" rods interconnected by wire in my back, staples in my knee, and a plate in my right ankle. I know what it's like to go through the surgery->rehab->more surgery cycle, and it sucks. If technology was developed that could make me walk and use my arms like a normal person, I'd fight with my life to keep it, even if it was the cause of me being a legit threat to others. Why? Because the technology can be fixed. The software can be improved. Likely with just a download and/or minimally invasive surgery (think pacemakers). And it's far more humane to implement those fixes than it is to simply rip those augs out of people. Especially considering the cost to the human spirit. Trust me, unless you've lost something like that (and I have... I used to be able to walk with full-length leg braces that locked at the knee and a walker, but can't any more), you have no idea what that feels like and what it could drive someone to do.

So, yeah, I think you're being utterly unrealistic.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Not to mention the fact that the Illuminati may prefer a controlled apartheid they can spin for more control over mass surgeries, civil strife, and the had optics of fucking over a minority group.

Remember, Panchaea was not part of the plan, that was Darrow going nuts.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Mechanical reinforcement isn't the same thing as the kind of augs in Deus Ex. And if your spiffy new arm, or leg, or eye, made you vulnerable to the kind of rage murder seen in Deus Ex, you would see a pogram unleashed not seen since the dark ages.

Like, the Police find you standing over the corpse of a teacher you killed when in a tech induced berserker rage. Do you really think they'd ask many questions at that point? They would identify those augs as a threat to public safety, and yes, they probably would attempt to forcibly remove them if possible. And would absolutely place you in jail until they could be deactivated.

If anything, it would be even worse than the camps we're seeing in the game.

So yes, the setting in the game is rather absurd, but I love cyberpunk so whatever.

• Options
    That, too.

I just think it's funny that some people are like "Well, these people haven't been stripped of their human rights enough (camps), so let's forcibly put them under the knife." I mean, it's not like due process, the right to a trial, etc. stopped being a thing, or groups like the ACLU disappeared.

• Options
    You can't just round up people and do what you want with them, especially when it wasn't their fault, they were as much the victims, so yeah there would definitely be debate and civil unrest and riots. I mean how many people are you talking about just rounding up and removing their limbs/ability to see/whatever other augs that let them live their life? Millions(is a number ever mentioned?)? You can't understand why a person wouldn't want to lose those capabilities? Sure, some would give it up willingly, but not all of them.

And also they were taken control by the person that created the technology and controlled the companies that installed the chips so he could do this, I doubt just anyone could go and hack a person's body, so with Darrow out of the picture could it happen again? Couldn't they just swap the chips out?

Plus you have to remember this is the Deus Ex world where shadow organizations like the Illuminati are running the world in secret and they want people to have augmentations because they want to control them. That's partly why Darrow did it, he revolted against the Illuminati and wanted to warn the world. But Bob Page and crew are still there, and maybe they still have the trick to controlling augs, and they make money by selling the drug that lets the body accept augs, so they're going to manipulate industries and governments to not remove augs.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Why contain it? It's coo'

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Whatever direction they go with the plot of the game, how it deals with this segregation situation (apartheid was specific to south africa, it's dumb they are using that word) and whatnot, could be interesting. I don't have much faith though, since you're still playing as Adam Jensen, sentient plank of wood.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Whatever direction they go with the plot of the game, how it deals with this segregation situation (apartheid was specific to south africa, it's dumb they are using that word) and whatnot, could be interesting. I don't have much faith though, since you're still playing as Adam Jensen, sentient plank of wood.

JC Denton wasn't exactly brimming over with personality, either.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    What a shame.

• Options

I never played the original, my first was Invisible War. I liked Alex.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

A DX avatar is supposed to blank slate so you can project your own.

Invisible War was awful.

To expound: Any choice you did meant nothing (really didn't... even DXHR's stupid ending was better than IW), the level design was fairly bad, and the skill tree... ugh.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

Invisible War was awful.

To expound: Any choice you did meant nothing (really didn't... even DXHR's stupid ending was better than IW), the level design was fairly bad, and the skill tree... ugh.

Having never played the original I thought it was fine.

Adam definitely isn't a blank slate though, he has his own personality and opinions and relationships and all of that before the game even starts. The problem is he's boring. I don't really care what he thinks about this segregation thing because whatever it is will probably be expressed with a flat expression and a monotone growl.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Invisible War is flat out one of the worst games I've ever played. No hyperbole. It is in the bottom 5 of thousands of games I've played in my lifetime and I've played some real pieces of shit.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Invisible War was awful.

Having never played the original I thought it was fine.

Adam definitely isn't a blank slate though, he has his own personality and opinions and relationships and all of that before the game even starts. The problem is he's boring. I don't really care what he thinks about this segregation thing because whatever it is will probably be expressed with a flat expression and a monotone growl.

He is a blank slate. His relationship with Megan is the baseline of baselines, talking about a dog or a fence. Everything about Adam is so conveniently lowest-common-denominator that it's extremely easy to bond with and everything after is projected directly on to the player. The flat expression and baritone monotone-ness is just another method to allow players to superimpose their own emotional connection with ease.

He's the very epitome of a modern action or escapist-fantasy hero like Neo, Harry Potter, Frodo/Aragorn, etc... and JC Denton wasn't much different.

DXHR and the original stand fairly well together as a two-piece combo. IW is the odd-man-out.

jungleroomx on
This discussion has been closed.