Options

[Overwatch] It's High Nerf

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    Man I keep wanting to try some characters that I haven't gotten to try much yet but whenever I pick one of them someone else picks the same character right after I do, or the whole team will avoid picking a healer at all.

I don't get folks' aversion to playing a healer, the healers in this game are all rad as heck and super intuitive and fun to play.

I don't mind playing lucio or symmetra or zenyatta in the rare event there's not a widowmaker in game

But i refuse to play mercy because i don't want to play that particular playstyle. I get 0 enjoyment out of it, and if anyone says "play offensive mercy" i might as well just play a different character entirely in that case

I can only assume some people always want to be x where x is some offensive/sniper etc and don't enjoy anything else

Therrs nothing really wrong with that

Wtf even is an offensive mercy outside of mayyyybe you are in a game you have the skill to pubstomp? Mercy has a pistol...but it's hardly the point.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Mercy became more fun for me once I started flying around healing multiple people and trying to boost people at just the right moment rather than tethering myself to one hero.

That's great for you!

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I tried all the supports and don't dig'em.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    So much of this game is about making every action feel good. Getting hit by a flashbang and having your control be abruptly taken away feels bad, far more so than anything else in the game for me, probably because it's so sudden with so little visual representation.

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Man I keep wanting to try some characters that I haven't gotten to try much yet but whenever I pick one of them someone else picks the same character right after I do, or the whole team will avoid picking a healer at all.

I don't get folks' aversion to playing a healer, the healers in this game are all rad as heck and super intuitive and fun to play.

I can literally have fun playing any of the healers/support....I have never said that about any other game, much less a shooter.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

I don't mind playing lucio or symmetra or zenyatta in the rare event there's not a widowmaker in game

But i refuse to play mercy because i don't want to play that particular playstyle. I get 0 enjoyment out of it, and if anyone says "play offensive mercy" i might as well just play a different character entirely in that case

I can only assume some people always want to be x where x is some offensive/sniper etc and don't enjoy anything else

Wtf even is an offensive mercy outside of mayyyybe you are in a game you have the skill to pubstomp? Mercy has a pistol...but it's hardly the point.

Offensive Mercy is picking Soldier 76 after remembering to turn on teammate health in the UI options.

(Why teammate health isn't an option for every character in the game is beyond me. It's really important information! I wish I could turn health bars on and nameplates off).

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I mostly don't really mind McCree

But I'd like it if he at least couldn't throw his flashbang over Reinhardt's shield to stun him and drop the shield

That's pretty annoying

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    There's zero doubt in my mind that McCree will see some sort of nerf

But I honestly have no idea whatsoever what it will end up being

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

I have seen some video of super redic folks who go nuts with that pistol...but yeah wicked exception to the rule.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Her pistol is pretty much the same as D.Va's I think, so theoretically she could dump on dudes with it.

But her healing and boosting is so valuable that I don't see why you would most of the time.

It can be fun to murder someone who catches you out alone though.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Mercy's pistol is actually higher DPS than you think. I definitely don't have it out at all times, but there are moments where putting down an opponent faster is more important than healing, and she serves that purpose pretty well.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options

Play style means so much in this game I swear...I have a hard time getting into any of the pure offense characters save for Phara. I just can't get any traction with them and find the struggle frustrating.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Mercy's pistol is actually higher DPS than you think. I definitely don't have it out at all times, but there are moments where putting down an opponent faster is more important than healing, and she serves that purpose pretty well.

Snagged an ulting Genji with the pistol as he charged towards me and then used my ult to pick up the Junkrat and Bastion he had killed to hold the payload and win at the end of King's Row.

Felt pretty good.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Hawkstone wrote: »

Play style means so much in this game I swear...I have a hard time getting into any of the pure offense characters save for Phara. I just can't get any traction with them and find the struggle frustrating.

I mean I get that means I am part of the problem that I don't play support in games, but at least I don't cry for a support when I myself am not one.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I friggin love Mercy. I've changed my main from Tracer to her because I find her so much fun. And I normally hate playing healers!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Her pistol is pretty much the same as D.Va's I think, so theoretically she could dump on dudes with it.

But her healing and boosting is so valuable that I don't see why you would most of the time.

It's actually, slightly, better than D.Va's pistol.

Still not great but good enough to make someone think twice if their aim isn't great and you're landing shots.

• Options
    Hawkstone wrote: »

I mean I get that means I am part of the problem that I don't play support in games, but at least I don't cry for a support when I myself am not one.

I really don't think anything of it to be honest...If I am rolling with PA people we all tend to sort out into the rolls we are good at and that is what you are good at.

It doesn't make you a problem at all...In pub matches I am a little less forgiving sometimes because there will be this obvious bleeding need at like Tank and Support and Defense and nobody will come off their DPS and on top of that if I do roll with support they all abandon you and complain about the results. Then there is a problem.

• Options

It's actually, slightly, better than D.Va's pistol.

Still not great but good enough to make someone think twice if their aim isn't great and you're landing shots.

D-Va's Pistol shreds for me....I don't know why but something about it really clicks. I am better with that pistol than Tracers by a landslide.

• Options
    It's probably the visual indicator and the fact that it works at long range.

Like it's still a bad gun but I agree, it does alot of work that it shouldn't because the constant DPS is valuable if people are missing a bunch of shots.

I'm still never letting a friend of mine live down him having to wraith form away from me as D.Va though.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Where are y'all fining the damage values of everything?

• Options
    I use this because it's well presented and easy to read (even if you need more than one tab open to compare things).

As far as I've seen that sites 100% accurate right now. None of the values have being wrong that I've noticed anyway.

• Options

Like it's still a bad gun but I agree, it does alot of work that it shouldn't because the constant DPS is valuable if people are missing a bunch of shots.

I'm still never letting a friend of mine live down him having to wraith form away from me as D.Va though.

Dva's pistol will shred 200HP characters, especially if they're already softened up from your pulse cannons. If you can empty that clip into someone it's lovely (and almost completely recharges your mech)

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    of the supports, i enjoy zenyatta because he is the least supporty support
    you can throw an injured teammate a harmony and then get back to sniping people with your balls

i tried lucio once and i think if i practiced a lot and got good at wall riding + using his projectile he'd be fun but it seems like without that you just kinda mill around and aura/Q for your team
    and try to setup environmental kills i guess

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Rainfall wrote: »

Dva's pistol will shred 200HP characters, especially if they're already softened up from your pulse cannons. If you can empty that clip into someone it's lovely (and almost completely recharges your mech)

Shred is kinda relative. Like I said Mercy's pistol will do it faster and any other actual gun will be much better.

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    I love playing Symmetra because people do NOT respect her turrets, that shit hurts

I'm never getting POTG for it, but I'm usually on the leaderboard

Her shields are weird though, I'd expect damage to burn through those first but it seems like once I've shielded someone I can't re-shield them even after they take some damage

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    i enjoy zenyatta because he is the least supporty support
    you can throw an injured teammate a harmony and then get back to sniping people with your balls

i tried lucio once and i think if i practiced a lot and got good at wall riding + using his projectile he'd be fun but it seems like without that you just kinda mill around and aura/Q for your team
    and try to setup environmental kills i guess

If you aren't a good wall rider ( I am not) Lucio is also really good at playing hide and go shoot around the feet of the tanks. I tend hide behind Rinehardt or the Payload and hop out to finish off low health opponents or push them off ledges and then hop back. If you can stay on the move and keep the wub wub going he is a blast.

• Options
    Symmetra's shields regen for people just like normal shields. You just need to apply them once per life and you're golden.

• Options
    Nullzone wrote: »
    I love playing Symmetra because people do NOT respect her turrets, that shit hurts

I'm never getting POTG for it, but I'm usually on the leaderboard

Her shields are weird though, I'd expect damage to burn through those first but it seems like once I've shielded someone I can't re-shield them even after they take some damage

I have been trying to figure that out too....it seems like the shield needs to be totally gone

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Symmetra's shields regen for people just like normal shields. You just need to apply them once per life and you're golden.

Aha, this makes sense for what I've seen with the health bars then, thanks!

• Options

Shred is kinda relative. Like I said Mercy's pistol will do it faster and any other actual gun will be much better.

You know what, you're absolutely right. Statistically speaking, literally everything in the game is better than Dva. Even though a full clip from behind kills characters, other characters are better and more fun. There's no reason I would ever agree with your statement that Dva''s light pistol does a lot of work and then be surprised that you'd jump in to remind me that it's still worse than everything else.

I just want to shoot mans and have fun, could you please stop being a buzzkill.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I got D Va's bunny hop emote but I have no idea how you use it on the PC?

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    by default, c pulls up the quick menu that has a bunch of stuff (emote, hello, voice line, some stuff that's meant to actually communicate useful info)
    you can probably bind it directly but i'd think it's unbound by default

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Hold c for the chat wheel and choose emote.

• Options

You know what, you're absolutely right. Statistically speaking, literally everything in the game is better than Dva. Even though a full clip from behind kills characters, other characters are better and more fun. There's no reason I would ever agree with your statement that Dva''s light pistol does a lot of work and then be surprised that you'd jump in to remind me that it's still worse than everything else.

I wish I could make D.Va work for me, she's fun but I haven't figured her out like the other tanks yet. I just tend to die horribly. Which is a bummer because playing her reminds me of playing MAX suits in Planetside which I loved.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Durr it's emote in C

• Options
    Overwatch is tearing us apart :(

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I wish I could make D.Va work for me, she's fun but I haven't figured her out like the other tanks yet. I just tend to die horribly. Which is a bummer because playing her reminds me of playing MAX suits in Planetside which I loved.

My experience with D.Va is that she's best played as a hit and run flanker or sniper harassment. Boost in with Defense Matrix, boost out when you can, always be boosting and looking for medpacs and gunning down people from behind or the side.

You don't win head-on vs DPS characters, thanks to your enormous headbox, so hit and run is the name of the game. Fall back with your main team whenever you're out of mech, it recharges fast if you're popping guys with your light gun.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    When you guys are playing with a character you don't know well, do you user AI matches or just random pub games?

@JoeUser I am the worst person, in your pub games, pooping all over myself learning how to snipe/conc jump/winston. Because the AI games are just too easy. I DO avoid PA groups, but I can just suffer being thrown down down into matchmaking hell solo. It has the added benefit of when I DO start paying attention to team comps and characters I'm better with, you get a couple of games you might feel really really good about yourself.

I played in a PA group with you the other night, you were fine.

Unless, of course, I'm also so bad that you seemed skilled in comparison.

• Options
    edited May 2016

My experience with D.Va is that she's best played as a hit and run flanker or sniper harassment. Boost in with Defense Matrix, boost out when you can, always be boosting and looking for medpacs and gunning down people from behind or the side.

You don't win head-on vs DPS characters, thanks to your enormous headbox, so hit and run is the name of the game. Fall back with your main team whenever you're out of mech, it recharges fast if you're popping guys with your light gun.

Her hit and run just feels unintuitive to me, I guess. I love hit and run with Reaper, for example, but he's way faster than D.Va. What trips me up is that fact that her attack slows herself down, I think. I boost in with defense matrix up to try and ambush people, and am usually dead before boost comes back up to boost out. I feel like I lose 1v1s even starting from behind people. I'm sure I just need to spend more time messing around as her but, so far its been a rough education.

Inquisitor on
  • Options

Pretty much think of yourself as fat tracer. Though rather than doing damage you shove people about, distract them and try and stay alive forever. The fact that she can spend the time most people would spend running form spawn in her mini D.Va mode is actually pretty rad.

This discussion has been closed.