As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Snoo[chat]

OrganichuOrganichu poopspeesRegistered User, Moderator mod
so i've been real into snooker lately

Open.jpg

my favorite dude is ronnie o'sullivan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpeBugHSCnU

he's full of cocaine and high pitched english twang

getting into snooker is drawing me ever closer to my final goal: being a fat english guy who lives in a cottage and curses lovingly at his wife

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    also because it's the climax to like the last few weeks of my professional life and has finally allowed me to relax my shoulders and not feel like a low energy beta cuck, i am reposting my work thing

ok so basically:

a few weeks ago, i opened the store (which means i'm responsible for determining schedule of people pulling in carts from the lot etc). one of the baggers (with whom i'd never opened before) is an older guy. first thing i got with him and asked him if he's alright to do carts- if not, i can finagle a way to get it done without him. he says no, no, it's perfectly fine- it's a cool, overcast day. so long as i have a few hours of break in between shifts it's okay. i say okay, schedule him for two cart shifts (with a big gap between). he does the first one, i check on him halfway through, he's fine. a little later, my supervisor arrives for the day, bumps into me (off the front end, far from where we keep the schedules) and says oh hey, i noticed so and so was scheduled for a cart shift- just so you know, we don't put him on carts. not a big deal, but fyi. i respond ok, thanks, i will keep that in mind from now on. she says cool. i go to lunch.

i come back from lunch, get pulled into the big boss' office. she asks me why so and was on carts. i say, ah- i didn't know he wasn't meant to be scheduled. supervisor let me know, so it won't happen again. she responds, why was he on carts JUST NOW? i go oh! dang, my fault. from my conversation with supervisor, i thought she'd replaced his shift. i should have double checked that. she goes, DOUBLE CHECKED IT? like it was her responsibility in the first place!? and i say, nah, supervisor told me it was a concern and so i should have followed through and personally addressed it. i was wrong to assume she'd taken care of it. this is my fault.

to which she basically won't accept that. IF IT'S YOUR FAULT WHY DID IT HAPPEN? and it turns out, the reason they don't put him on carts is he has heart trouble! and had to go home that day from chest pain, while i was on lunch. i am apologetic, saying it was an oversight on my part, i feel terrible, etc. she refuses to let it go and basically drills into me for a while, tells me 'i don't know WHAT (meaning me, a who) that other store transferred to me', 'i don't want people managing my store if they're not interested', calls me 'pathetic' at one point, lel.

she sort of intimated at the end of the convo that she was considering transferring me, to which i basically shrugged. at the time i was upset (partially at how i was being spoken to but mostly with guilt and concern for my coworker who had the health issue). i left the conversation and talked to supervisor, explaining- hey, i hope it isn't framed as tho i threw you under the bus. i wasn't trying to say it was your fault- only that i made a dumb, snap assumption. you delegated and that's fine. and she's like no, you're being too charitable, i absolutely spoke as tho i'd already handled it and i was just giving you a fyi for future notice etc etc. please don't feel bad, it's 100% my fault. so i still felt kind of guilty and upset, but glad at least that someone thought my mistake was within the realm of reason.

i complained about all this to my previous boss and tho i didn't explicitly request it, she put in for a transfer request to bring me back to her store, knowing how uncomfortable i am with this new woman. it got approved and i go back sunday, which is great.

today my still-current boss called me in to her office to talk about the fact that i'm being transferred back. and she's like, did you request this because of that incident? and i said i didn't request it at all but yes, i'm sure former-boss put in for it mostly because of that conversation. and the woman is flabbergasted- how do you feel wronged? you're the one who made the mistake, you're the one who endangered the health of a coworker.

and thankfully i managed to rein in my emotions and respond sort of clinically! yes, i made a mistake. i owned it, despite my immediate supervisor saying i was falling on the sword and wasn't actually responsible. i feel terrible about coworker (thankfully he's ok), but that doesn't entitle you to talk to me the way you did. and she is just thoroughly confused, like- how can you be mad about my tone? does that matter more than what you did? and i'm like, see, that's a false dichotomy. i can accept blame for an error and in the next sentence take issue with the way that error is addressed. i'm open to critique, remedial suggestions, or even discipline- but our conversation went way past that into humiliation. you explained what i'd done wrong, i offered suggestions for how to avoid it in the future, you conveyed your anger at the situation- and then for the next few minutes you continued to denigrate me and bully me, which i find unacceptable. she goes, so if one of your associates who i entrust you to manage made that mistake you'd baby them? and i said, it's not about babying- but if that's what you want to call it, sure. i'd baby them, in that i'd treat them with basic respect and dignity. those are not negotiable to me- regardless of the scope of the conversation, i would never treat my reports in that way, and i won't be treated in that way either.

she had nothing else to say to that, really, and then mentions how she only recently found out i lost a couple close loved ones in the past year- 'maybe that's why you're having trouble doing as well as you used to.' i found that hysterically inappropriate, too- but i just let it slide, since i was proud of not raging hard up to that point and wanted to keep it going. then she wished me well and i left.

p_q

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    snooker sounds like a name for something so much filthier than it actually is.

cB557 on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    traffic is horrible and people are insane today

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Organichu, I'm willing to risk the silly goose rule in calling that manager a raging cunt

And it sounds like you handled it as well as you possibly could have

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    @Elki can we change the football thread title to be something euros related since it's starting tomorrow? def helps with encouraging discussion and stuff

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    also because it's the climax to like the last few weeks of my professional life and has finally allowed me to relax my shoulders and not feel like a low energy beta cuck, i am reposting my work thing

ok so basically:

a few weeks ago, i opened the store (which means i'm responsible for determining schedule of people pulling in carts from the lot etc). one of the baggers (with whom i'd never opened before) is an older guy. first thing i got with him and asked him if he's alright to do carts- if not, i can finagle a way to get it done without him. he says no, no, it's perfectly fine- it's a cool, overcast day. so long as i have a few hours of break in between shifts it's okay. i say okay, schedule him for two cart shifts (with a big gap between). he does the first one, i check on him halfway through, he's fine. a little later, my supervisor arrives for the day, bumps into me (off the front end, far from where we keep the schedules) and says oh hey, i noticed so and so was scheduled for a cart shift- just so you know, we don't put him on carts. not a big deal, but fyi. i respond ok, thanks, i will keep that in mind from now on. she says cool. i go to lunch.

i come back from lunch, get pulled into the big boss' office. she asks me why so and was on carts. i say, ah- i didn't know he wasn't meant to be scheduled. supervisor let me know, so it won't happen again. she responds, why was he on carts JUST NOW? i go oh! dang, my fault. from my conversation with supervisor, i thought she'd replaced his shift. i should have double checked that. she goes, DOUBLE CHECKED IT? like it was her responsibility in the first place!? and i say, nah, supervisor told me it was a concern and so i should have followed through and personally addressed it. i was wrong to assume she'd taken care of it. this is my fault.

to which she basically won't accept that. IF IT'S YOUR FAULT WHY DID IT HAPPEN? and it turns out, the reason they don't put him on carts is he has heart trouble! and had to go home that day from chest pain, while i was on lunch. i am apologetic, saying it was an oversight on my part, i feel terrible, etc. she refuses to let it go and basically drills into me for a while, tells me 'i don't know WHAT (meaning me, a who) that other store transferred to me', 'i don't want people managing my store if they're not interested', calls me 'pathetic' at one point, lel.

she sort of intimated at the end of the convo that she was considering transferring me, to which i basically shrugged. at the time i was upset (partially at how i was being spoken to but mostly with guilt and concern for my coworker who had the health issue). i left the conversation and talked to supervisor, explaining- hey, i hope it isn't framed as tho i threw you under the bus. i wasn't trying to say it was your fault- only that i made a dumb, snap assumption. you delegated and that's fine. and she's like no, you're being too charitable, i absolutely spoke as tho i'd already handled it and i was just giving you a fyi for future notice etc etc. please don't feel bad, it's 100% my fault. so i still felt kind of guilty and upset, but glad at least that someone thought my mistake was within the realm of reason.

i complained about all this to my previous boss and tho i didn't explicitly request it, she put in for a transfer request to bring me back to her store, knowing how uncomfortable i am with this new woman. it got approved and i go back sunday, which is great.

today my still-current boss called me in to her office to talk about the fact that i'm being transferred back. and she's like, did you request this because of that incident? and i said i didn't request it at all but yes, i'm sure former-boss put in for it mostly because of that conversation. and the woman is flabbergasted- how do you feel wronged? you're the one who made the mistake, you're the one who endangered the health of a coworker.

and thankfully i managed to rein in my emotions and respond sort of clinically! yes, i made a mistake. i owned it, despite my immediate supervisor saying i was falling on the sword and wasn't actually responsible. i feel terrible about coworker (thankfully he's ok), but that doesn't entitle you to talk to me the way you did. and she is just thoroughly confused, like- how can you be mad about my tone? does that matter more than what you did? and i'm like, see, that's a false dichotomy. i can accept blame for an error and in the next sentence take issue with the way that error is addressed. i'm open to critique, remedial suggestions, or even discipline- but our conversation went way past that into humiliation. you explained what i'd done wrong, i offered suggestions for how to avoid it in the future, you conveyed your anger at the situation- and then for the next few minutes you continued to denigrate me and bully me, which i find unacceptable. she goes, so if one of your associates who i entrust you to manage made that mistake you'd baby them? and i said, it's not about babying- but if that's what you want to call it, sure. i'd baby them, in that i'd treat them with basic respect and dignity. those are not negotiable to me- regardless of the scope of the conversation, i would never treat my reports in that way, and i won't be treated in that way either.

she had nothing else to say to that, really, and then mentions how she only recently found out i lost a couple close loved ones in the past year- 'maybe that's why you're having trouble doing as well as you used to.' i found that hysterically inappropriate, too- but i just let it slide, since i was proud of not raging hard up to that point and wanted to keep it going. then she wished me well and i left.

p_q

ay yo chu that boss can go get fucked

that kind of shit is just unacceptable and im glad you stood up for yourself in a way that didn't lower you to her level

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    @Sir Landshark

I have a disguise for you to sneak you out of your house and into the safe house.

bravo16.jpg

zepherin on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    You handled that situation way better than I ever could, chu, and I'm really glad you won't have to keep dealing with her.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    feel like I've lambasted that 'coddling of the American mind' article so many times at this point I should just dredge up one of my old Facebook posts and copy and paste it in.

*googles*

...HM.

Y'know, if you feel the need to preface your article with a big banner image that suggests you're about to just call-out a group of people as a bunch of crybabies... why not just save everyone (including yourself) the time & just write something like, 'AMERICAN COLLEGE STUDENTS / MILLENNIALS ARE ALL JUST A BUNCH OF WHINY CRYBABIES!'

Put it in 72 point Impact font.

Boom, done.

Collect paycheck, move to next article.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Fuckin' owned that shit, chu

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/06/09/creepy-startup-will-help-landlords-employers-and-online-dates-strip-mine-intimate-data-from-your-facebook-page/
    Its first product, Tenant Assured, is already live: After your would-be landlord sends you a request through the service, you’re required to grant it full access to your Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and/or Instagram profiles. From there, Tenant Assured scrapes your site activity, including entire conversation threads and private messages; runs it through natural language processing and other analytic software; and finally, spits out a report that catalogues everything from your personality to your “financial stress level.”
    “If you’re living a normal life,” Thornhill reassures me, “then, frankly, you have nothing to worry about.”
    Make no mistake: The data will mislead. Among the behaviors that count against your Tenant Assured “credit” percentage — i.e., how confident the company is that you’ll pay rent — are “online retail social logins and frequency of social logins used for leisure activities.” In other words, Tenant Assured draws conclusions about your credit-worthiness based on things such as whether you post about shopping or going out on the weekends.
    I, for one, welcome our boring yet cyberpunk dystopian future.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    also, speaking of the euros

this is the greatest thing to ever happen on a football pitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-ixRRdRS28

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I am super drunk on company-purchased whiskey.

Every month the company pays for these immensely expensive outings in which everyone gets drunk... so drunk.

It also notably improves company morale.

the morale is that people should be in altered states around each other more often, I think.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/06/09/creepy-startup-will-help-landlords-employers-and-online-dates-strip-mine-intimate-data-from-your-facebook-page/
    Its first product, Tenant Assured, is already live: After your would-be landlord sends you a request through the service, you’re required to grant it full access to your Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and/or Instagram profiles. From there, Tenant Assured scrapes your site activity, including entire conversation threads and private messages; runs it through natural language processing and other analytic software; and finally, spits out a report that catalogues everything from your personality to your “financial stress level.”
    “If you’re living a normal life,” Thornhill reassures me, “then, frankly, you have nothing to worry about.”
    Make no mistake: The data will mislead. Among the behaviors that count against your Tenant Assured “credit” percentage — i.e., how confident the company is that you’ll pay rent — are “online retail social logins and frequency of social logins used for leisure activities.” In other words, Tenant Assured draws conclusions about your credit-worthiness based on things such as whether you post about shopping or going out on the weekends.

I hate this so fucking much.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Every month the company pays for these immensely expensive outings in which everyone gets drunk... so drunk.

the morale is that people should be in altered states around each other more often, I think.

Everywhere I worked in Japan basically did this.

Nomikais are good.

I also uhh found a meetup in DC called Nomikai DC. Drinking and Japanese conversation.

I uhh, might go to that.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

this sounds gross as shit

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

• Options

It's a violation of privacy and also just stupid.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Nomikais are good.

I also uhh found a meetup in DC called Nomikai DC. Drinking and Japanese conversation.

I uhh, might go to that.

you totally should.

These things are the best thing.

there was tension between me and a coworker that was erased tonight over booze and open conversation.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Chu I'm going to double witness you because we're probably going to end up married many years from when we're both old and alone

• Options
    also note, to be fair, i was only able to respond with poise because a) i'd had some weeks to roll it around in my head and b) i know i am back in a store i like come next week. the day of the incident when i was being dressed down i was a quivering, teary-eyed mass of guilt and rage

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

see also: mandatory drug testing

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

Nomikais are good.

I uhh, might go to that.

you totally should.

there was tension between me and a coworker that was erased tonight over booze and open conversation and kissing.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Chu I'm going to double witness you because we're probably going to end up married many years from when we're both old and alone

Like, legit, your beau is awesome and I think the two of you will have a wonderful life together.

But I awesomed this because the fantasy of you and chu together is unshakably cute.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

Nomikais are good.

I uhh, might go to that.

you totally should.

there was tension between me and a coworker that was erased tonight over booze and open conversation.

I do go to my team's monthly happy hours. Due to locations I rarely have more than one drink though since I have to drive home. Just the timing and days and such. Also since metroing is an hour and a half to get to work, driving is 25 to 35 minutes.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    oh also during the talk today when she made that gross correlation with the death of my sister and nephew and my 'recent performance', she cited that several higher ups had come to her with concerns about my performance since i came back to this store.

i kind of innocently said 'that's really weird, none of them brought those concerns to me'

and she's like 'yeah it's frustrating, everyone comes to me for coaching and development when they see problems'

and i was like 'that definitely is frustrating, since none of this was mentioned to me and so i was neither coached nor developed'

and she just kind of stuttered

either you're lying about people bringing this stuff to you or you failed in your explicit role to coach your team, since i'm a full time worker who is the face of the store, running the checkout area- and i've heard nothing but good things

hue

• Options
    also note, to be fair, i was only able to respond with poise because a) i'd had some weeks to roll it around in my head and b) i know i am back in a store i like come next week. the day of the incident when i was being dressed down i was a quivering, teary-eyed mass of guilt and rage

I would absolutely have been the same dealing with my boss talking to me like that.

• Options
    wandering wrote: »

Nomikais are good.

I uhh, might go to that.

you totally should.

there was tension between me and a coworker that was erased tonight over booze and open conversation and kissing.

Summer would stab me or hit me with a hammer. She is a viking after all.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

Like, legit, your beau is awesome and I think the two of you will have a wonderful life together.

But I awesomed this because the fantasy of you and chu together is unshakably cute.

Oh he's totes lovely and thank you duder !

• Options
    cas eddy one time a long time ago people were talking about gay sex and stuff and you described like sitting in front of your partner, indian style or something, and jerking them off

look all i'm saying is i ain't forgot, that image is seared

• Options
    wandering wrote: »

Nomikais are good.

I uhh, might go to that.

you totally should.

Summer would stab me or hit me with a hammer. She is a viking after all.

c8f9148878fd5ffd6562a3c4d4825966.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    oh also during the talk today when she made that gross correlation with the death of my sister and nephew and my 'recent performance', she cited that several higher ups had come to her with concerns about my performance since i came back to this store.

i kind of innocently said 'that's really weird, none of them brought those concerns to me'

and she's like 'yeah it's frustrating, everyone comes to me for coaching and development when they see problems'

and i was like 'that definitely is frustrating, since none of this was mentioned to me and so i was neither coached nor developed'

and she just kind of stuttered

either you're lying about people bringing this stuff to you or you failed in your explicit role to coach your team, since i'm a full time worker who is the face of the store, running the checkout area- and i've heard nothing but good things

hue

http://i.imgur.com/3UeSFph.gif

• Options

Time to set up a separate Facebook page to game the system.

• Options
    edited June 2016

Oh he's totes lovely and thank you duder !

Like, I showed the pics from the engagement posted in the forum to Summer and she melted.

And then she got real salty with me about when that shit was going down for us.

So the expected response.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

I wonder how someone using that service will react to a person like me who doesn't use any of those sites

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

I swear, 'privacy' is just going to slowly become an outmoded concept over time. Like, when my nephew is my age, he'll have no fucking concept of what we used to mean when we talked about privacy or privacy rights.

:|

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    @porp

If you boot Landshark tonight I have a place for him to stay

distopic1.jpg

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Just posting the buzzwords over and over would fuck it over pretty good.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

p_q

Wooooooow

Good job chu

I would have gotten my ass fired from my reaction to that

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
This discussion has been closed.