Options

[PC Build Thread] Come For Advice, Stay For the Coil Whine.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Thanks. It wasn't in the plan to upgrade but fuck it, 4 X 1GB isn't enough now, is it?

edit: FFS, how do I get the least popular form factor for RAMM?

4GB is what most would consider bare minimum these days, if that's all you can do, than you can live with it for a bit.

it isn't really that DDR2 is less popular but that it's old and not used anymore. Like anything old as time goes on it is harder to find the parts for it. I haven't used/seen a DDR2 computer in maybe 5 years, and that was when I replaced a 6-7 year old computer for my dad.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    You're also not running Windows on a Raspberry Pi. At least not a version of windows that you can actually do anything with.

well yeah, by "windows OS" I figure he means an OS with a friendly GUI. If you mean Windows™, Raspberry uses ARM CPUs so no version of x86-based Windows will run on it without costly emulation.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    You're also not running Windows on a Raspberry Pi. At least not a version of windows that you can actually do anything with.

well yeah, by "windows OS" I figure he means an OS with a friendly GUI. If you mean Windows™, Raspberry uses ARM CPUs so no version of x86-based Windows will run on it without costly emulation.

There's actually a Windows IOT version, but as of right now it consists of not much more than a Windows 10 kernel that you can push specifically built apps to. The principle is pretty cool, and if you're someone already familiar with Visual Studio it could be a lot of fun.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Finally gotten my MoBo back from RMA and my 5820k system BREATHES ONCE AGAIN!!!!!

Though sadly my damn sound card isn't detected correctly and I'm just about to buy a fucking Schitt Stack.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hmm...looks like Amazon got a shipment of Zotac 1070 AMP!s in (they were shown as being in-stock last night and they're still listed as in-stock this morning). I'm a bit torn, though: a 1070 would be a bit of an upgrade over my current 980...but I've got a 1080-sized hole burning in my pocket (mostly after watching that Jackfrags impressions video).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Hmm...looks like Amazon got a shipment of Zotac 1070 AMP!s in (they were shown as being in-stock last night and they're still listed as in-stock this morning). I'm a bit torn, though: a 1070 would be a bit of an upgrade over my current 980...but I've got a 1080-sized hole burning in my pocket (mostly after watching that Jackfrags impressions video).

Hold the line!

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Is Zotac any good?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Is Zotac any good?

I seem to remember reading a PC Gamer comparison on mid-range cards, and Zotac scoring fairly high. They tend to not have quite the same aggressive overclock options as Gigabyte, ASUS, or some of the EVGAs, but they do have a decent cooler that will allow the user to OC the card themselves.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    I've placed a pre-order for a STRIX 1070 on Amazon. Estimated delivery date: July 25 - August 9.

:bigfrown:

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Finally gotten my MoBo back from RMA and my 5820k system BREATHES ONCE AGAIN!!!!!

Though sadly my damn sound card isn't detected correctly and I'm just about to buy a fucking Schitt Stack.

An external DAC/Amp solves a lot of other issues too. I got a magni/modi setup for my laptop ages ago and use it with my desktop now, I have no complaints at all. Just take a second before you plug in your headphones after you turn on the amp, it has a click a couple seconds after it turns on. I don't know anything about the new magni/modi but imagine they are just as good if not better.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Nija wrote: »
    I've placed a pre-order for a STRIX 1070 on Amazon. Estimated delivery date: July 25 - August 9.

Yeah, me too. Currently wondering if backordering from Newegg would be any faster.

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Nija wrote: »

Yeah, me too. Currently wondering if backordering from Newegg would be any faster.

I've been thinking the same thing. I'm worried about them, magically, both becoming available before I can cancel the other pre-order. That's the only thing stopping me.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Any ~$20-30 FPS-friendly wired mouse recommendations?

I've gotten heavily into Overwatch and am finding that my shitty old 400 DPI (iirc) Logitech MX310 just isn't cutting it, I feel like.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I didn't even get a delivery estimate for the 1070 I ordered through Amazon.

Doubt I'll manage to track down an Asus or Gigabyte board in the next month anyway since I'm just not very good at babysitting nowinstock, so July 25-August 9 sounds alright to me.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »

I've gotten heavily into Overwatch and am finding that my shitty old 400 DPI (iirc) Logitech MX310 just isn't cutting it, I feel like.

Razer Naga Hex is my recommendation. You can program the 6 buttons, too. If you don't like that many thumb buttons, I think there's a wires version of their wireless mouse.

....Mamba(?)

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Mugsley wrote: »

Razer Naga Hex is my recommendation. You can program the 6 buttons, too. If you don't like that many thumb buttons, I think there's a wires version of their wireless mouse.

....Mamba(?)

Both of those are well over the $30 upper limit, though. The best I could find was a $29.99 Logitech G300S on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826197034

EDIT - otherwise, I would highly recommend Razer's Deathadder. That thing is my go-to FPS mouse (especially the older version of the Mamba, which was just a wireless version of the Deathadder).

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    I'm pretty happy with my Logitech M500. 23.49 on Amazon right now.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Is Zotac any good?

Very Good.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »

....Mamba(?)

Both of those are well over the $30 upper limit, though. The best I could find was a $29.99 Logitech G300S on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826197034

EDIT - otherwise, I would highly recommend Razer's Deathadder. That thing is my go-to FPS mouse (especially the older version of the Mamba, which was just a wireless version of the Deathadder).

If you can stretchyour budget to $50-60, the Razer Deathadder RGB Chroma is a solid mouse, feels great in the hand, works with most hand styles, and doesn't go fluffy with a ton of excess buttons which aren't necessary for FPS.

• Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    Is Zotac any good?

Zotac is basically the sister company of Sapphire. Sapphire does the AMD cards while Zotac does the Nvidia cards.

Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Hm. So after my build booted just fine, I installed Windows and was downloading drivers when the OS froze. It happened right as I was in the hard drive manager assigning a letter to my secondary storage drive (SSD with the OS was detected just fine, but my HDD wasn't showing up so I went to assign it), but I have no way of knowing if that affected anything. On restart it now has no video output. Clearing CMOS hasn't resolved the issue. Neither has playing around with which DIMM slots are populated with RAM.

Should I look into RMAing or replacing my motherboard? Or is there anything else I should try?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Before doing anything, ensure that everything is properly connected/seated.

Wherever you may have used some sort of stand off, either for the MB in the case or for some sort of CPU cooler, check to ensure you didn't accidentally short any of the traces that may run nearby.

Remove all but the bare minimum needed to boot. As in, a single stick of RAM, one hard drive, etc. And ensure that they are all properly seated.

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    For those following my case questions from a few pages back:

I got HAF 912. I got it because 1) I have a 932 and love it, and 2) I discovered my Noctua mega-cooler (DH-14) fits in it, so when I transplanted my old build, I didn't have to remove it.

Transplant complete. Plenty of room!
    PLDoNVO.jpg

Rest of my new stuff arrives tomorrow, so I'm going to try to rope my daughter into helping me install it all in my 932.

Durinia on
    For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I have managed to get the 1080 I ordered from Best Buy, despite shipping it to the wrong address and Best Buy customer service doing literally nothing to help.

(Pro tip: you can ask UPS to not deliver a package, and hold it for pickup instead. You can accept delivery of a package as long as you have a government-issued ID that matches the name OR the address. So, I mean, don't ship expensive hardware to the wrong place, but if you do, UPS can probably help you out.)

Next: let's see if my rig can do VR.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Durinia wrote: »

*snip*

Ah, Noctua. So ugly, so blessedly quiet.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    holy hell that cooler is huge

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Durinia wrote: »

*snip*

Ah, Noctua. So ugly, so blessedly quiet.

For similar or better results and much more pleasing to the eye I go for Be quiet!

bk019_w_l_4.jpg&width=570

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I fuckin love lolhueg, impractical-looking heatsinks. I will never not find them hilarious.
    ahktglx376ec.jpg

I won this stupid thing at a LAN party many years back. I'm sure it wasn't even all that effective, but you bet your ass I stuffed it into the case somehow, regardless.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Serious question.

When the fuck do you need one of those?

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Now hold on... at what point does getting something that big make an argument just for getting a liquid cooler?

Ghosted!

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Serious question.

When the fuck do you need one of those?

Really only if you're overclocking.

*EDIT*

And to go off what DisruptedCapitalist up there said, the Noctua's and Be Quiets! are generally for people who don't want to use an AIO or custom loop because of added complexity and/or sound. Big low rpm fans make less noise then the pumps and fans that are normally used in watercooling.

iguanacus on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    And in the case of the heatsink I pictured above, that cooler actually was intended to run passively without a fan as an option, which was why it was so ginormous. Gotta get all that surface area. I question the fanless efficacy, but there's a rationale to the madness.

• Options
    You haven't lived until you've used an NH-D14. I've had mine for... years now and it's dead silent sitting right next to my computer desk even under 100% load. I use Thermalright TY-140s on it and it's basically the best heatsink ever.

Closed loop is more complicated, louder, and less effective than super high end air, so the few knuckle cuts you get on the fins during installation is worth it to me.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    They also seem to be twice as expensive.

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Impatience overcame me. Bought a Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE.

Good lord. 1440p / Ultra providing 90-120fps on Doom, Witcher III and Overwatch. Just got Far Cry 4 on the Steam Sale and am looking forward to seeing the results there too.

It is beautiful.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I was considering this one from Scythe or this one from Reeven. But then I saved about $100 on my MB/CPU combo and coupled with the fact that I new I'd be moving the case around I didn't want to risk the weight of the heatsink to cause the MB to flex or some other unwanted damage. Plus, I'd been more-or-less wanting to do liquid cooling ever since the first time I'd heard about it over twenty years ago.

Those lolhueg coolers have their place, but you need to be prepared for just how big they really are. Not every case will fit them and RAM height can be an issue.

• Options
    I would worry about the damage/potential for motherboard cracking from an lolhueg heatsink like that, over time.

• Options
    And for the record, I went with the M500 that someone mentioned. Thanks for the recommendations!

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I would worry about the damage/potential for motherboard cracking from an lolhueg heatsink like that, over time.

I don't think it would crack but the constant heating and cooling cycles from use would probably cause a lot of flex that doesn't seem like it would be a good thing over time.

• Options
    They usually have quite a backplate. My NH-D14 was in use on an Ivy Bridge machine that ran pretty hot under load because Ivy was a painful chip to overclock and I never had any problems with it for 3 years. Motherboard did eventually die, but due to user inflicted water damage.

RAM height is an issue though, yea. You can't use anything with huge heat spreaders, pretty much locked into standard profile or lower. Still, that's not really a big deal since huge finned heatspreaders on RAM are silly.

They're certainly not for everyone, but if you're a fanatic about PC noise (I own 3 SSDs and a NAS because HDD spinup is annoying) while also wanting excellent performance under overclocked load, I think they have a nice spot.

aeNqQM9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.