As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Because it's Konami and Konami is the worst.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    An Igarashi + Nintendo collaboration seems like a no-brainer.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Man, why do people hate on Zelda II so much? I liked it a lot. One of my favorite NES games. *hides*

As for Mighty No.9's reviews, I agree that a lot of it the angst is because "$4 million dollars kickstarter" and expectation-whiplash.

What hate? It's one of my favorite games.

And it's easier than some of the stuff this game throws at you.

Seriously, I could make the Death Mountain run and not experience a fraction of the frustration Cryosphere put me through (I think that boss may literally be a hazard to my health. And no, I'm not misusing "literally ").

I did take down the bee girl earlier, and my Ray DLC finally decided to work, so I got to thrash her, too.

Ray is a gem, and perhaps the most satisfying fight I've had so far. And her cutscenes as a playable character are hand-drawn, too, and look SO much better than the in-engine stuff.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    An Igarashi + Nintendo collaboration seems like a no-brainer.
    Let Iga do the next Metroid, honestly.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Metroiga?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Heavens to Igatroid, exit stage left!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I backed this for Wii U but haven't touched it yet. Watched the TFS channel's vid on it and...man did it not look fun. Maybe it was specifically sniper dude's stage but holy shit.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Overall, it's... fine.

The sniper stage pissed me off, and on PS4 the ice stage framerate chugs like a drunken frat boy in Cabo, but I think the biggest problem is that it's just inoffensively mediocre in almost every respect.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Also of course sniper guy is Steve Blum

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Ilpala wrote: »

My wife wasn't even paying attention and asked "Why does it sound like Spike is in your game?"

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Ilpala wrote: »

Something something Vindicare Assassin in Dawn of War 1 something something Love Can Bloom.

Ray gets a boyfriend?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    If this ends up being true, this is bullcrap:
    http://www.gamnesia.com/news/mighty-no.-9-is-now-making-its-backer-exclusive-ability-and-costume-into-pu

Not going to jump to conclusions just yet since merely having a store listing doesn't necessarily mean available to the public, but we'll see

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I mean, to be fair, it's bullcrap that they were exclusive in the first place.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    http://www.gamnesia.com/news/mighty-no.-9-is-now-making-its-backer-exclusive-ability-and-costume-into-pu

Not going to jump to conclusions just yet since merely having a store listing doesn't necessarily mean available to the public, but we'll see

I'll withhold my pitchfork until something more concrete exists.

And by pitchfork, I mean, either way I really wouldn't care. I do realize that some people get really upset about exclusives though, and that this would be very unfortunate for them.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    heenato wrote: »
    I mean, to be fair, it's bullcrap that they were exclusive in the first place.

Why? It was promised as an exclusive transformation:
    an exclusive Backer-only transformation for the game's hero, Beck

The main campaign page says the same thing - Kickstarter exclusive. Many, many kickstarters have exclusive costumes and weapons and such...

Edit: And for what it's worth, I care less about others having access than I do the idea of them deliberately lying to the backers, especially when this was its own kickstarter tier. You basically got hosed if you backed at that tier.

Edit 2: You know, the more I think about it, the more I think this story is probably wrong. It has only shown up with that date in the Xbox Marketplace... And the 360 version specifically has been delayed.... I'm calling August 24th as the 360 launch date with the DLC dated and put up for backers who picked that version of the game.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I am generally not in favor of anything in a video game requiring you to have been present at a specific time frame in order to get it, unless the game is some sort of always-online persistent world or something that requires that (the business model of "preorders get it for free but latecomers have to pay to get it" is generally fine though).

That said, I'm generally willing to overlook things like palette swaps of things that are available in the game (ie. the golden skin), but things that alter gameplay (ie. MegaXel) are pretty not okay no matter how small the effect is.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Yeah, they've been listed on the xbox marketplace page since the game released. Possibly before. but I didn't really look at it then so I can't say.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Lars wrote: »
    I am generally not in favor of anything in a video game requiring you to have been present at a specific time frame in order to get it, unless the game is some sort of always-online persistent world or something that requires that (the business model of "preorders get it for free but latecomers have to pay to get it" is generally fine though).

That said, I'm generally willing to overlook things like palette swaps of things that are available in the game (ie. the golden skin), but things that alter gameplay (ie. MegaXel) are pretty not okay no matter how small the effect is.

It's a tough question. There is undoubtedly a "collector" aspect to the mentality, where I want access to every part of a media I love.
    On the other hand, how many backers would have chosen not to if they had not been enticed by the appeal of exclusivity?

I don't think there's a 100% correct answer here. In this case, though, the game is single player, so the content grants no compressive advantage, so... I guess I'm OK with it. There will always be things in life that you will miss if you're not in the right place at the right time; a small bit of digital art certainly is among those I will regret missing the least.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »

It's a tough question. There is undoubtedly a "collector" aspect to the mentality, where I want access to every part of a media I love.
    On the other hand, how many backers would have chosen not to if they had not been enticed by the appeal of exclusivity?

I was more in the camp that it shouldn't have been advertised as an exclusive in the first place. The fact that it was does make things tricky now, though.
    I don't think there's a 100% correct answer here. In this case, though, the game is single player, so the content grants no compressive advantage, so... I guess I'm OK with it. There will always be things in life that you will miss if you're not in the right place at the right time; a small bit of digital art certainly is among those I will regret missing the least.

Of course there are more important things in life than video games. But if I'm shopping for a new game and I see one that has been out for a little while that looks interesting, I'm certainly still going to give it a demerit if I find out that there is content in it that I am permanently locked out of because the limited time window has passed. That demerit may not be a dealbreaker on it's own (unless the missed content was really good), but it surely isn't a positive for the game.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    imo go ahead and sell anything they want regardless of what they said since they don't have any good will left and their word is worth nothing

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Exclusive content is butts and should never be implemented. I'm not saying they should have reneged on their promise, but that they shouldn't have promised it at all.

Congrats on your "free" skin, I guess?

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Speaking as someone who has bought every collector's edition of anything Warcraft since III (because it's always equal to, and sometimes even cheaper than, buying the games, soundtracks, and art books separately, and I really like those), I firmly believe the exclusive in-game extras should be available to everyone, even though they're almost always functionally meaningless.

As to the comment that "that's life"; it reminds me of Jerry & Mike's discussion regarding Playstation Home on one of the episodes of the PA podcast. The public spaces had a functioning bowling alley, albeit with a finite number of lanes. It wasn't even properly instanced so that if the place filled up it could shunt newcomers to another version that had available lanes. If the place was already full, you were just shit out of luck. Why would you ever go out of your way to introduce an aspect of our imperfect universe into something where it isn't needed and isn't even the default circumstance? Sometimes you miss out on things in life? Sure, fine, but there's no reason that has to be the case here.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Everyone should have the ability to have access to all in-game content. Exclusives are stupid, be it preorder bonus, backer reward, retail specific, or console exclusive.

I'm cool if you want to give certain people early access to content, or at a discounted rate (or free).

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I didn't even know there was an exclusive skin and I'm a backer. Not that I really care.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    skeldare wrote: »
    I didn't even know there was an exclusive skin and I'm a backer. Not that I really care.

I knew about the gold skin and didn't want it. I didn't recall there being an exclusive power, I'll have to check whether I got that (if it was part of the same tier as the skin then I'm pretty sure I didn't).

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    The question is, how many people would have pledged at $20 instead of $60 if not for the Golden Skin?

I mean, it's a silly incentive, but the point is, stuff like this does influence human behavior. Exclusives help bring in more backers, and exclusive content is something that they can produce relatively cheaply and in infinite numbers. Does it suck for the people that didn't back? Sure, but if you make a habit of shitting on people willing to pay $40 extra for a skin, they won't pay that $40 at all.

Like I said, it's not an easy question to answer.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Houn wrote: »
    The question is, how many people would have pledged at $20 instead of $60 if not for the Golden Skin?

I mean, it's a silly incentive, but the point is, stuff like this does influence human behavior. Exclusives help bring in more backers, and exclusive content is something that they can produce relatively cheaply and in infinite numbers. Does it suck for the people that didn't back? Sure, but if you make a habit of shitting on people willing to pay $40 extra for a skin, they won't pay that $40 at all.

Like I said, it's not an easy question to answer.

Like Lars and Dirty, I'm fine with freebies for pre-orders or timed exclusives, but I still think permanent exclusives like that are lame. However, I do see the point that a developer or publisher changing their stance after the fact is problematic.

But then, City of Heroes had a handful of cosmetic options that were originally only available to pre-orders of the first launch of the game, that much later on where made available as a veteran's reward (any who'd had a paying account for over a certain time span got them) and people where fine with it. Granted, I was one of a number of people who felt they should've made the vet rewards a points-buy system because, again, I don't like people getting permanently locked out of stuff and the game wasn't going to live forever, but the fact is they made an exclusive into a timed exclusive and I don't recall any fuss over it.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I find typical preorder exclusive content really annoying, but backer exclusive content for pledging three times the retail cost of the game is perfectly fine and should stay exclusive.

Viskod on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Beyond the usage of the word "exclusive," did they at any other point say they wouldn't offer it to other people? Unfortunately, the word exclusive has sort of devolved into a periodic thing in the common language of videogame marketing.

edit: in this case being, exclusivewithin the backer incentive structure.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Sounds like it was nothing probably:
    original.jpg

Edit:
    Beyond the usage of the word "exclusive," did they at any other point say they wouldn't offer it to other people? Unfortunately, the word exclusive has sort of devolved into a periodic thing in the common language of videogame marketing.

edit: in this case being, exclusivewithin the backer incentive structure.

And yes, I mean, they really went out of their way to emphasize how exclusive and "Kickstarter only" it was with the language they used:
    ashup3masp2z.gif

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Yeah, if they are planning to offer it for open sale, then given that language it would be an issue.

Unless they rename it Off-Bronze Beck and it's a Special Special transformation you can buy. Because CAPCOM DNA.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    But then, City of Heroes had a handful of cosmetic options that were originally only available to pre-orders of the first launch of the game, that much later on where made available as a veteran's reward (any who'd had a paying account for over a certain time span got them) and people where fine with it. Granted, I was one of a number of people who felt they should've made the vet rewards a points-buy system because, again, I don't like people getting permanently locked out of stuff and the game wasn't going to live forever, but the fact is they made an exclusive a timed exclusive and I don't recall any fuss over it.

They actually did make the veteran rewards a point-buy system eventually, though sadly the game did not in-fact live forever.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Everyone should have the ability to have access to all in-game content. Exclusives are stupid, be it preorder bonus, backer reward, retail specific, or console exclusive.

I'm cool if you want to give certain people early access to content, or at a discounted rate (or free).

Last I checked Bloodstained was supposed to have an exclusive boss battle for backers.

Bloodstained is looking cool as shit and while I do wish I ended up backing it, I'm also hoping I still get a chance to fight that boss.

So sure, timed exclusives/discounts are fine, but selectively exclusive? Fuck that.

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular

Last I checked Bloodstained was supposed to have an exclusive boss battle for backers.

Bloodstained is looking cool as shit and while I do wish I ended up backing it, I'm also hoping I still get a chance to fight that boss.

So sure, timed exclusives/discounts are fine, but selectively exclusive? Fuck that.

I'll even take backers or those who preordered from a particular store or whatever condition to be met getting what would be the game's hardest unlock out of the gate. Just don't make it exclusively available to those players.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options

You still can I'm pretty sure. They have a slacker backer thingy.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Is there even any other way to give extra content to particular backers other than releasing the DLC publicly, not actually making it purchasable, and sending a redemption code to all of the backers in that tier?

• Options
    edited July 2016
    No, I doubt there's such an infrastructure on either console.

edit: or at least one that is available to third parties.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    TamerBill wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    But then, City of Heroes had a handful of cosmetic options that were originally only available to pre-orders of the first launch of the game, that much later on where made available as a veteran's reward (any who'd had a paying account for over a certain time span got them) and people where fine with it. Granted, I was one of a number of people who felt they should've made the vet rewards a points-buy system because, again, I don't like people getting permanently locked out of stuff and the game wasn't going to live forever, but the fact is they made an exclusive a timed exclusive and I don't recall any fuss over it.

They actually did make the veteran rewards a point-buy system eventually, though sadly the game did not in-fact live forever.

Yeah, I couldn't remember how it worked when they started to switch things around later on. But I remember when the Vet rewards first went up I already had enough time for almost all the ones I cared about, and got the others within a year, but I felt bad for the people who only really wanted one thing or another but would need to stay in for another 2 years or something like that to get it. I started playing about a year after the original launch and was in until the bitter end. Was hanging out with 4 or 5 SG members in our base when the server went down.

Man, how long ago was any of that shit? I don't think I ever had the attention span to actually level cap a character in CoH/V, I was too busy trying to come up with characters for trying out all the different power sets with, but I spent a lot of time in Paragon City and the Rogue Isles.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Has anyone here heard about Hobby Rock? As far as I can tell it's a convention for Mega Man fan artists and sculptors. A lot of the figures I've seen produced for the show look really good. I wonder if there's a way to buy them (although I assume the prices would be very high)?

Hobby Rock on Twitter

judqteiifeuc.jpg
    aja03qqijr7i.jpg

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    On a related note, I'm pretty sure I preordered a MegaMan.exe figure several months back but have no idea what website I ordered it through.

EDIT: Nevermind, it was Big Bad Toy Store.

Hexmage-PA on