Options

[PC Build Thread] Come For Advice, Stay For the Coil Whine.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    That's my guess as well, but no other problems. Will try to get him to check settings, but chances are he'll just leave it as is until it gets worse.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Huh, maybe I wont need to debate whether to go 1440p@144hz or 4k@60hz since Asus is apparently going to roll out a 4k@144hz monitor. I dont know how its putting out 144hz since I think Display Port 1.3 only goes up to 120, but either way you should see the smooth benefits of the higher refresh rate.'

Fingers crossed it wont cost $1500+

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Huh, maybe I wont need to debate whether to go 1440p@144hz or 4k@60hz since Asus is apparently going to roll out a 4k@144hz monitor. I dont know how its putting out 144hz since I think Display Port 1.3 only goes up to 120, but either way you should see the smooth benefits of the higher refresh rate.'

I will take the over, and then some.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

I will take the over, and then some.

That seems almost guaranteed. Especially since even then, the initial run will probably get snapped up.

I'm blessed that over 60 FPS, it's very hard for me to tell the difference. Resolution, though, I can see that forever.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

DP1.4 will go up to 144hz@4k (provided the monitor adheres to DSC standards).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Yeah, I saw that, but the standard was just set in March of this year. I have no idea how long it takes to go from standard approved to product available. Not to mention the current gen of video cards are only 1.3 compliant. Maybe the 1080ti will support 1.4.

Re pricing, yeah its probably going to be crazy expensive. I'm hoping itll be around 1500 or so which I might be willing to spend just because its going to be the thing I actually look at for the next 5-10 years. Like, the only reason I'll need to replace my 5 year old monitor when I build a new system is because the person I'm giving my old system to doesn't have a monitor. Hell, up until a couple of months ago I was still using the Ultrasharp monitor I bought in 2005 as a second monitor and the only reason I'm not still doing that is because of desk space.

emp123 on
  • Options

Yeah, I saw that, but the standard was just set in March of this year. I have no idea how long it takes to go from standard approved to product available. Not to mention the current gen of video cards are only 1.3 compliant. Maybe the 1080ti will support 1.4.

Re pricing, yeah its probably going to be crazy expensive. I'm hoping itll be around 1500 or so which I might be willing to spend just because its going to be the thing I actually look at for the next 5-10 years. Like, the only reason I'll need to replace my 5 year old monitor when I build a new system is because the person I'm giving my old system to doesn't have a monitor. Hell, up until a couple of months ago I was still using the Ultrasharp monitor I bought in 2005 as a second monitor and the only reason I'm not still doing that is because of desk space.

Speaking of current gen video cards, 1.3 is about all that's needed. All of the gaming benchmarks I've seen for the 1080 show that it struggled even hitting 60fps at 4k (the only modern game exception was Doom which is showing 60-65fps with dips into the mid-50s).

So yeah, I'm thinking 1.4 would make more sense on the 1080ti.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    As I do more research in monitors I begin to think maybe I should just get a 4k instead of 1440p. I won't have max settings or top 60Hz with my 1070, but I mostly play RPGs and strategy games, where lots of screen feels more important than high frame rate. It also means I can hope to use the monitor for longer.

I wish there were someplace I could go to try out these different monitor options before I buy one. I'm waiting for Black Friday regardless, but I have no way of knowing if I can tell the difference between 60 and 144 Hz screens.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    That's my guess as well, but no other problems. Will try to get him to check settings, but chances are he'll just leave it as is until it gets worse.

Does he have a chromecast or something similar? There are some network enabled devices that can power a computer on from sleep on demand.

• Options
    It's not sleep, it's doing a total shutdown. And no, no chromemcast or anything. Just a wireless adapter. Chances are it's hardware related.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Did you try unplugging all your peripherals after hitting Shutdown?

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    As I do more research in monitors I begin to think maybe I should just get a 4k instead of 1440p. I won't have max settings or top 60Hz with my 1070, but I mostly play RPGs and strategy games, where lots of screen feels more important than high frame rate. It also means I can hope to use the monitor for longer.

I wish there were someplace I could go to try out these different monitor options before I buy one. I'm waiting for Black Friday regardless, but I have no way of knowing if I can tell the difference between 60 and 144 Hz screens.

Have you thought about going ultrawide? I gpt ahold of a 21:9 monitor a short time ago and I don't think I could ever go back.

Not all games support 2560x1080 or 3440x1440, so you might get vertical bars on either side of a 16:9 image, but compatible games on an ultrawide display are incredible.

Also, movies or TV shows that are filmed in ultrawide ratios between 2.35:1 and 2.40:1 will display in fullscreen without the horizontal bars you would get on a 16:9 monitor.

• Options
    My GTX 1080 is unboxed, installed (was very easy), and now am doing a fresh driver install!

Holy crap, does that thing light up in the inside of my case.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Did you try unplugging all your peripherals after hitting Shutdown?

I doubt it, I'll mention it to him, but everyone here has already put more effort into fixing it than he has for months.

• Options
    1e1h7rygga1p.jpg

Size comparison with the ever-popular GTX 970.

6v9cpwll6qtr.jpg

Got it on rotating LED color mode. Ridiculous and opulent next to the rest of my build.

• Options
    jesus that's a beast.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Yeah, it is. And crazy thing: it's one of the smaller GTX 1080 non-reference cards. I pity you people with your thirteen-inch heatsink monsters.

Since I can't do much playing around on my 4K TV in the next room, here are my benchmarks.

nammj02chmjf.jpg

Synthesis on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My RMA is getting processed. I'll hold off on upgrading to the GTX 1080, because my 980 isn't even a year old. And since its summer I'll be fine without a PC for a while: I've barely touched Monster Hunter Generations

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Did this get posted yet? Titan X details

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10510/nvidia-announces-nvidia-titan-x-video-card-1200-available-august-2nd

All yours, for only $1,200! aka what I spent building my PC...

twmjr on
  • Options
    The Titan X almost doesn't count but man nVidia seems set in stone on making every GPU segment more expensive this time around and that is a very bad precedent to set.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    twmjr wrote: »
    Did this get posted yet? Titan X details

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10510/nvidia-announces-nvidia-titan-x-video-card-1200-available-august-2nd

All yours, for only $1,200! aka what I spent building my PC...

hm

nice and all

not sure if I would've paid $1200 for it

$900 for sure though

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    No HBM2? Well....I might just get a 1080 this go around.

• Options
    So, everything's still working fine--might as well say, if anyone wants to pick up an EVGA GTX 970 SC (with an ACX 2.0 cooler, which you may have heard of) on the cheap, please let me know.

I'm surprised by the prices they're still going on eBay.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Or hell. Just buy a 980ti and wait for the next generation.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm certainly not going to bother with the 1080Ti if it doesn't have HBM2, unless it's a HUGE upgrade in some other way.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The Titan X almost doesn't count but man nVidia seems set in stone on making every GPU segment more expensive this time around and that is a very bad precedent to set.

Whut?

The 1080 offers better than (last gen) Titan X performance for $600 - $700.
    The 1070 offers better than 980 performance for $380 - $450
    The 1060 offers better than 970 performance for $250 - $330

That is an across the board dramatic drop in price:performance ratio.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Whut?

The 1080 offers better than (last gen) Titan X performance for $600 - $700.
    The 1070 offers better than 980 performance for $380 - $450
    The 1060 offers better than 970 performance for $250 - $330

That is an across the board dramatic drop in price:performance ratio.

Sure, but the equivalent levels were notably cheaper at all steps. And none of the cards are selling for the non-founders MSRP yet, even.

Like the 970 launched at $330 and you can't get a 1070 for less than $440 right now.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    x60 cards have almost always be $250-300 though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    x60 cards have almost always be $250-300 though.

Right. And they still are. But you're getting a huge step up in performance.

I was responding to:

Which is patently wrong.

It's hardly Nvidia's fault that supply and demand is allowing manufacturers to crank up the pricing for the first couple months. Within the next couple months, pricing will be down significantly and you'll be getting so much more value than last generation.

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Like the 970 launched at $330 and you can't get a 1070 for less than $440 right now.

Launch MSRP for non-reference designs was $330 to $350, but they were initially hitting $400. The surge didn't last as long, though, and they quickly fell back down to where they should be. You know why? Because the 9XX series was a pretty underwhelming upgrade from the 7XX series, where as the 10XX series is a much bigger, more exciting jump in performance per dollar.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I didn't play super close attention to video cards, or even more than passing attention, until I started putting together my system, and until 3 months ago I legit thought Ti was just short for Titan. How is this a reasonable naming scheme?

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Orogogus wrote: »
    I didn't play super close attention to video cards, or even more than passing attention, until I started putting together my system, and until 3 months ago I legit thought Ti was just short for Titan. How is this a reasonable naming scheme?

Hehe...tradition. Way way back when, nVidia put out the Geforce 2 Ti cards as part of their high-end lineup (Ti and Ultra were the two high-end versions). The last time the Ti bit was used, it was used as part of the common model number of the 4000-series cards (Ti 4200, Ti 4400, Ti 4600 (which was an awesome card), Ti 4800). Since then, the Ti part hasn't been used until the 500-series and was picked up again to denote that the Ti is better/faster than the base model (560 vs. 560ti).

But, as you said, if you haven't been paying much attention to video cards over the past 15-20 years, you'd probably have missed the rationale.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016

Hehe...tradition. Way way back when, nVidia put out the Geforce 2 Ti cards as part of their high-end lineup (Ti and Ultra were the two high-end versions). The last time the Ti bit was used, it was used as part of the common model number of the 4000-series cards (Ti 4200, Ti 4400, Ti 4600 (which was an awesome card), Ti 4800). Since then, the Ti part hasn't been used until the 500-series and was picked up again to denote that the Ti is better/faster than the base model (560 vs. 560ti).

But, as you said, if you haven't been paying much attention to video cards over the past 15-20 years, you'd probably have missed the rationale.

I mean, if Ti came first, that's fine. It's just, that being the case, couldn't Nvidia have found a word that didn't start with "Ti" to designate their new super top of the line card back when the first Titan was released?

On a similar note -- so this card is the NVIDIA Titan X, and the last gen version was the GTX Titan X? Even though they're still using GTX for the 1060/70/80? Was confusing people one of the design goals?

Orogogus on
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Found this on the WCCFtech website, MSRP's have typically hovered around the $350 range, and we were spoiled with a $299 MSRP on the 970. Taking the current price gouging due to high demand / low volume out of the equation, I don't think the MSRP pricing has been out of whack, especially if you consider how long the price has been stagnant and not been increasing with inflation. Something had to break the cycle, and it was likely the ultra performance on the 10xx series cards that emboldened them to seek a higher price.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-official-msrp-299-nonreference-models-retail-329349/

The Titan series cards have always been $Texas, and will continue to shock and awe forevermore.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options

I mean, if Ti came first, that's fine. It's just, that being the case, couldn't Nvidia have found a word that didn't start with "Ti" to designate their new super top of the line card back when the first Titan was released?

On a similar note -- so this card is the NVIDIA Titan X, and the last gen version was the GTX Titan X? Even though they're still using GTX for the 1060/70/80? Was confusing people one of the design goals?

Maybe they're colluding with eBayers so that they can sell their old Titan Xes at new Titan X prices. If nothing else, it seems like this is going to help scammers.

I will admit that the Titan name didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I mean, when I think Titan I think of a big beefy card...but these days, all the mid and high end cards are big and beefy. Now all nVidia needs to do is make a Titan Ti...

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Titan naming has been a mess since the second one. Just ignore em unless you have like $5K you really want to blow on a system.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    the 1060 is $250 MSRP, the 960 launched at $200 MSRP
    The 1070 is $379 MSRP, the 970 launched at $300 MSRP
    The 1080 is $650 MSRP, the 980 launched at $550 MSRP

And this doesn't include the founders edition Tax.

The Titan X is $1200, the previous gen Titan X was $1000. I barely count it because it's not a mass market card, but the increase is there too.

I'm not sure how anyone can say that nVidida didn't increase prices for this round, even before you take supply shortages into account.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    the 1060 is $250 MSRP, the 960 launched at $200 MSRP
    The 1070 is $379 MSRP, the 970 launched at $300 MSRP
    The 1080 is $650 MSRP, the 980 launched at $550 MSRP

And this doesn't include the founders edition Tax.

The Titan X is $1200, the previous gen Titan X was $1000. I barely count it because it's not a mass market card, but the increase is there too.

I'm not sure how anyone can say that nVidida didn't increase prices for this round, even before you take supply shortages into account.

For fairness, you should also include one more generation back and their MSRPs...

760 - $249
    770 - $399
    780 - $649

Ehh...why not keep going.

660 - $230
    660Ti - $300
    670 - $400
    680 - $500

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    I just better be able to find a RX 480 for $240 by Christmas!

This discussion has been closed.