Options

We're Back! Happy [Ghostbusters] 2 Day! (28th Anniversary June 16th)

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I mean we used to rip the shit out of you all the time and it did not make for a better Uriel. That's the case dozens of times throughout my time here. If you treat people like monsters, they start to embrace that label.

It was the same with me.

And the reason it didn't really help me was because it wasn't supposed to be helping.

It was people who liked to rip into people, having fun at the expense of someone else.

This is why I try to be more patient and understanding of others who don't necessarily get much sympathy.

Because as someone who has dealt with a variety of bullying (both from people in the community, and at home in the past) I know what it's like to be in that position.

It's also why I severely dislike dogpiling of any sort. I find it really distasteful and tacky, even if it's targetting someone or something I dislike.

Which is why I abstained from voting in that stupid "Who do you want banned" poll we had here years ago.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Saw ghostbusters today, it was surprisingly funny. The trailers made it look like hot garbage.

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Saw Ghostbusters yesterday; liked it a bunch!

I think I like Chris Hemsworth more after this movie than any of the Avengers movies. I do think at least once they pushed him over the line from oblivious to being a jerk, but overall he's a lot of fun and it's obviously supposed to be very over the top.

I've been a fan of Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon since they started on SNL and they were probably my favorites here. I loved the concert bit with Patty. Speaking of the concert, I was a little disappointed that they cut this bit from the trailer:
    Michael McDonald: It will haunt you every night. Whatever it is, no one should have to encounter that kind of evil. (Pause) Except you girls, I think you can handle it.
    Patty: Oh, oh good, thanks.

And one only slightly spoilery criticism of a running gag:
    The whole joke of Kristen Wiig pathetically lusting after Chris Hemsworth does not work for me at all.

Also, I really liked the visuals! There were some very nice looking shots. I especially liked McKinnon's incredibly bad-ass sequence in the climax. Smiled through that whole thing.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Saw it today. It really didn't work for me. I am pretty bummed. It's almost like people saw a different movie than I did. The characters, jokes, visuals, nothing really clicked.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The AV Club: Ghostbusters continues to ruin childhoods by selling tons of toys
    Will Paul Feig’s streak of ruined childhoods and devastated kids never find its end? It’s bad enough that the Bridesmaids director had to go and make a fun, funny, female-led reboot of Ghostbusters. Now he’s going after the childhoods of today, too, by encouraging kids to buy an absolute crap-ton of toys based on his film.

That’s per Mattel, which says that its Ghostbusters line of toys has “exceeded expectations” for sales in the wake of the film’s July 15 release. That’s across both male and female demographics, apparently, which might owe in part to the company’s decision to ignore decades of cootie-prevention research and place action figures of Leslie Jones and Kristen Wiig—confirmed girls—in the “boy” action-figure aisles at stores.

“We’re thrilled with the response to the new Ghostbusters toy line,” a company executive told Variety, before presumably darting into a bathroom to administer himself a life-saving dose of circle, circle, dot, dot. Meanwhile, we can only assume that some part of the internet is going into convulsions about, like, wearable proton packs that button on the opposite side right now—at least, until Feig’s deadly Childhood Erasure Wave finally reaches them, and wipes their pasts away.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Which is why I abstained from voting in that stupid "Who do you want banned" poll we had here years ago.

Ohhhhh we were some nutty, wacky scamps once

Yikes

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »

Ohhhhh we were some nutty, wacky scamps once

Yikes

Well before my time here, glad I wasn't here!

Someone else brought up learning about stuff through this forum earlier in the thread, and I've got a similar story. I remember living in a military household in Texas for years didn't give me the highest opinion of gay people for a long time. Then back in high school when we were out of the country I found an furry forum and gaming group with quite a few non-straight members when I was bored as hell on the internet one day and started playing games and posting there. I started playing UT2004 with these guys, and I was thinking "you know, these dudes seem alright, is this what gay people are really like?" When I got back to the States I had the opportunity to then join my school's Gay-Straight Alliance and stopped being such a shitlord.
    Thanks, internet.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I just saw that they have a whole action figure set for this. Gonna stop buy and buy them all tomorrow.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Also, in terms of acceptance - I don't think that there is anyone who doesn't look at themselves earlier (middle school and high school) in life and think "Christ, I wish I hadn't been a complete piece of shit at the time."

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Re: The cameos:
    Ozzy Osbourne was easily the worst. Nothing against Ozzy, but it was such an out of place gag, its place being at least a decade ago.

Bill Murray, unfortunately, also didn't do much for me. I loved seeing him in the movie, but his character was kind of flat and his part was just big enough that it felt more like a pointless side character than a fun cameo. Also, they (mainly Kristen Wiig) are totally responsible for his apparent death.

I guess my favorite was maybe Ernie Hudson? Largely because despite Patty mentioning her uncle multiple times, and me at that point waiting to see if Hudson would do a cameo, it didn't for one second cross my mind that he would be her uncle.

Or maybe it was Annie Potts. Partly because it felt like maybe the one that fit most organically into the flow of the film, and partly because I'm happy that they included her, and not just the guys (and the much more famous Sigourney Weaver).

Weaver and Aykroyd were right in the middle for me.

Also, I saw an article on the cameos that said that the scene with Slimer and Lady Slimer (with her 60s 'do), in keeping with Slimer's origins as a tribute of sorts to John Belushi, was based on a scene from Animal House where Belushi's character drives off with a female character. I haven't been able to find the scene thus far, so I have no idea. But I liked his appearances either way.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    kaceyp wrote: »
    Bill Murray, unfortunately, also didn't do much for me. I loved seeing him in the movie, but his character was kind of flat and his part was just big enough that it felt more like a pointless side character than a fun cameo. Also, they (mainly Kristen Wiig) are totally responsible for his apparent death.
    I actually really liked Murray's cameo because I think I projected a bunch of stuff around the film into it.

He (specifically a representation of the original film) doesn't believe the girls (of the new film), acts like an elitist wanker about it, and after egging the girls on, he gets destroyed and DIES.

Could be viewed as some commentary on the whole controversy around the movie

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    I actually really liked Murray's cameo because I think I projected a bunch of stuff around the film into it.

He (specifically a representation of the original film) doesn't believe the girls (of the new film), acts like an elitist wanker about it, and after egging the girls on, he gets destroyed and DIES.

Apparently in the novelization or literature or something his character doesn't end up dying, he survives the fall and recants his accusations that the ghostgirls are fake.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Apparently in the novelization or literature or something his character doesn't end up dying, he survives the fall and recants his accusations that the ghostgirls are fake.
    The way Murray's character disappears after being thrown out the window made me feel like there was a later scene involving him that was cut somewhere and they forgot to film a throwaway line to provide the missing closure.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

I started Ghosts From Our Past tonight and this is correct. He has a quote at the beginning of the book that lays it out pretty plainly.
    "Had I listened to them I could have avoided thousands of dollars of out-of-pocket medical expenses."

Also re: Slimer
    The real purpose for Ms. Slimer was probably just as a gag and a way to shoehorn in Robin Shelby, as she's very dear to the fans of the franchise.

I definitely considered whether it was an intentional nod to Belushi, though. In Animal House the movie ends with the frat brothers, having been expelled from college, assaulting the homecoming parade with a float that transforms into a "DEATH MOBILE" to ruin the celebration and get revenge. After they succeed and run away, John Belushi's character Bluto Blutarsky throws the homecoming queen into the back of a convertible and takes off with her.

During the credits all the characters have a card describing what they went on to do with their lives. In a surprise twist, it turns out that perpetual screwup/drunk/imbecile Bluto becomes a U.S. Senator and the homecoming queen he essentially kidnaps falls in love with and marries him. This is the last scene you see them:
    sCDjWM9.jpg

• Options

I can see that reading of it
    and I do think he was probably meant at least partly to be a stand-in for that kind of attitude. And I definitely don't really mind the film kind of giving the finger to that kind of bullshit. I just didn't like it from the in-universe perspective that they know full well that this this is dangerous and decide to release it right in front of him anyway, and afterwards they don't really seem to care much about it. I'm glad that the novelization makes it clear that he survived, though I would have liked that in the film itself. I slightly wonder if Murray himself wanted his character to die and that's why there's nothing indicating his survival in the film.

I will say that I did like that the whole scene really plays on Erin's need for validation and was a good character beat in that regard. I just didn't like the results.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

Kevin: "That is a really nice hat though"

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I wanna buy Holtzmann's Funko Pop... debating whether I should get the one with Ecto-1.

• Options
    maritzacmaritzac Registered User regular
    The fact that Milo bastard is banned from twitter forever, I kid you not, made MY ENTIRE MONTH.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I saw this movie it was very good

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    maritzac wrote: »
    The fact that Milo bastard is banned from twitter forever, I kid you not, made MY ENTIRE MONTH.

it's interesting. i read this very interesting narrative from a feminist writer who (believe it or not) happened to be in this guy's entourage at pretty much the moment he was banned, at the RNC. it's worth reading for a lot of reasons, but you can't help but come away with the icky feeling that guys like this are nourished by such outrage. she makes very astute comparisions to donald trump: they're men who've capitalised on their own lack of values in order to pick and choose the ones guaranteed to trigger a specific kind of response.

it's harrowing enough to me, but i'm not american. this is an internet-age problem but for a lot of reasons it's also an american one. there are parallels here (australia) and in the u.k., but i think there's a reason milo, a brit, took his shtick to the spiritual home of 'freedom of speech'

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Well, I know about him after never having heard his name before, so in a sense he won

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Paladin wrote: »
    Well, I know about him after never having heard his name before, so in a sense he won

yeah. this guy
    ...thanked Twitter for banning him, saying he had become "the star of the convention as the result of their idiocy" and "a lot more famous".[92]

it's as simple as that for people with so little on the line but the size of their ego

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    saw this yesterday.

the first time kevin
    wipes his eye

i just fuckin lost it. Haven't seen a good physical gag pulled off that well in a long time.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I did a double take. Like "wait waht?"

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    saw this movie last night

it is good

eff the haters - I have the mental image of Kate McKinnon licking something
    that can never be taken that away from me

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I want to live in the scene where holtzmann busts ghosts

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

it is good

I was linked to a video of her and a friend interviewing Nina Hartley in their old net series that you might want to look up.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Nogs wrote: »
    saw this yesterday.

the first time kevin
    wipes his eye

i just fuckin lost it. Haven't seen a good physical gag pulled off that well in a long time.

For me, it was
    the second time he does the eye thing

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Nogs wrote: »
    saw this yesterday.

the first time kevin
    wipes his eye

For me, it was
    the second time he does the eye thing

Sure, it wasn't physical comedy but I love the line when asked why he wore the glasses.
    "Well, they kept getting dirty, so I took the lenses out."
    Just said so perfectly earnest.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

it is good

I was linked to a video of her and a friend interviewing Nina Hartley in their old net series that you might want to look up.

oh I'm aware

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Holtzmann is basically Krieger as a Ghostbuster

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Was anyone else a little disappointed when Kevin
    Pulled out the photo of him "listening" to the saxophone that it wasn't in front of his eyes?

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Just got back from seeing it with the wife and son. We all absolutely loved it. Really funny and absolutely lived up to the other two movies. The only complaint I had was
    The Baymax-y ending of them diving through ghost space or whatever. It just was sort of unnecessary and looked kind of crappy.

Otherwise we had a blast. As much as one cameo was hated here, I can't say much bad about it since it was literally 2 seconds. Also, I know I'm juvenile but...
    The scene with the head of the sketchy university telling them to suck it and giving them the finger over and over again had me cracking up.

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Saw it again. I think it works so much better the second time. One subtle gag I noticed:
    When Rowan goes to the metal concert to plant the device, he's wearing an Anthrax shirt.

They have an album called

Among The Living.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    I saw this film yesterday, it was pretty damn great.
    Holtzmann is my spirit animal.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I bought my brother and I each a little blind pack ghostbusters figure hoping we'd get one of those rad Holtzman ones.

Turns out we both got the same lame cockraoch ghost thing.

Bummer.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I bought my brother and I each a little blind pack ghostbusters figure hoping we'd get one of those rad Holtzman ones.

Turns out we both got the same lame cockraoch ghost thing.

Bummer.

:bro:

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I bought two and got Holtzman and Patty

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    If you want a specific figure there's a way to discern what's inside the blind bags before you open them. Just look up the codes.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I was in a toy store and checked out the funko-pop figs they had there - they had all the Ghostbusters but Holtzman was sold out.

Slightly disappointing but I'll take it as a good sign.

I want to make a Holtzman poster for my wife, I just have to decide which look is the best...

This discussion has been closed.