Options

We're Back! Happy [Ghostbusters] 2 Day! (28th Anniversary June 16th)

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I was in a toy store and checked out the funko-pop figs they had there - they had all the Ghostbusters but Holtzman was sold out.

Slightly disappointing but I'll take it as a good sign.

I want to make a Holtzman poster for my wife, I just have to decide which look is the best..
    Dubh wrote: »
    eff the haters - I have the mental image of Kate McKinnon licking something
    that can never be taken that away from me

Can't really argue with Dubh here.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Hahaha I can't think of a better person to own that

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Is that the original?

EDIT: Nope, it's from the sequel, har har!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    So I saw this last night and it was a damn good movie. Just enough throwbacks to the original cast. I enjoyed the villain. All the Leslie Jones haters can fuck off and die, she was the best in that movie. McKinnon was an absolute gem. I didn't like Mcarthy's character but that's because she was, for lack of a better term, the straight woman.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I finally saw this yesterday around 3 in the afternoon. Movie was about 1/3 filled, which was fine. Talkers sat near me, but whaddyagonnado.

I....was disappointed. Based on opinions, I expected an okay movie. Nothing great, but nothing horrible. I thought the movie was....bad. Holtzmann was a cartoon character, they didn't focus on the backstory between Wiig and McCarthy's characters, Leslie Jones actually turned out to be my favorite of the four.

The villain was horrendous, and that annoyed me as his actor was a fellow Delawarean, and they needed to spend a wee bit more time with him. I was completely stunned that these Ghostbusters were incompetent enough to actually cause a person to die and it's like, ah well, no big deal.

I honestly felt lied to. It was not a good movie.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I finally saw this yesterday around 3 in the afternoon. Movie was about 1/3 filled, which was fine. Talkers sat near me, but whaddyagonnado.

I....was disappointed. Based on opinions, I expected an okay movie. Nothing great, but nothing horrible. I thought the movie was....bad. Holtzmann was a cartoon character, they didn't focus on the backstory between Wiig and McCarthy's characters, Leslie Jones actually turned out to be my favorite of the four.

The villain was horrendous, and that annoyed me as his actor was a fellow Delawarean, and they needed to spend a wee bit more time with him. I was completely stunned that these Ghostbusters were incompetent enough to actually cause a person to die and it's like, ah well, no big deal.

Nobody lied to you that they liked the movie

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

On the other hand, everyone should feel they were lied to because the overwhelming takeaway I've gotten from everyone is that the movie is nothing like the trailers made it seem.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    kaceyp wrote: »
    Re: The cameos:
    Bill Murray, unfortunately, also didn't do much for me. I loved seeing him in the movie, but his character was kind of flat and his part was just big enough that it felt more like a pointless side character than a fun cameo. Also, they (mainly Kristen Wiig) are totally responsible for his apparent death.
    I actually really liked Murray's cameo because I think I projected a bunch of stuff around the film into it.

He (specifically a representation of the original film) doesn't believe the girls (of the new film), acts like an elitist wanker about it, and after egging the girls on, he gets destroyed and DIES.

Could be viewed as some commentary on the whole controversy around the movie
    Apparently in the novelization or literature or something his character doesn't end up dying, he survives the fall and recants his accusations that the ghostgirls are fake.
    It says both, he says he lives, Erin says he's actually writing the forward as a ghost.

• Options

On the other hand, everyone should feel they were lied to because the overwhelming takeaway I've gotten from everyone is that the movie is nothing like the trailers made it seem.

All the trailers I saw were great and so was the film!

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Yeah I have heard both that the trailers were bad and misrepresent the movie and that the trailers were good and do represent the movie so ??? on the trailers

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Yeah I have heard both that the trailers were bad and misrepresent the movie and that the trailers were good and do represent the movie so ??? on the trailers

My solution: don't watch the trailers.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Amusingly enough, almost all the laughs in the theater came for Kevin and stuff from the trailers. The joke regarding Ed Begley's character also hit.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I didn't mind the trailers, I would say that Patty is the biggest difference between the movie and the trailers, she's far less over the top than the trailers would suggest.

McCarthy surprised me - I'm normally not a huge fan but she was a bit more subdued in this one and I really liked her.

Just in case we're spoilering cameos:
    It's really too bad we couldn't have gotten one small snippet with Rick Moranis. I understand his personal life pulled him away from acting for awhile and he's said he'll be super selective if he does work again. Even if he recorded a quick thing at home for something on TV in the background or agreed to be visible in the ghost window things in the hotel basement it would have been cool.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Amusingly enough, almost all the laughs in the theater came for Kevin and stuff from the trailers. The joke regarding Ed Begley's character also hit.

See that's why trailers are a no-win pox upon cinema. Either they're good and ruin what should be great moments in the movie, or they're terrible and fail to sell the movie.

It's very rare that someone makes a trailer that positively sells the movie without diminishing the movie itself, or better yet, a trailer that actually enhances the movie.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I like that McCarthy was more subdued this film. Most of the time I hear people saying they don't like her because she's so over the top (Bridesmaids, The Heat, The Boss)

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Will Ferrell is the same way and he's one of the most beloved comedic actors around right now.

• Options
    I flatly refuse to watch anything with Will Ferrell. He's either not funny at all or downright offensive with his lame shtick. I pretty much put him in the same group as Adam Sandler.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I flatly refuse to watch anything with Will Ferrell. He's either not funny at all or downright offensive with his lame shtick. I pretty much put him in the same group as Adam Sandler.

Celebrity Jeopardy disagrees.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Will Ferrell is the same way and he's one of the most beloved comedic actors around right now.

Stranger than Fiction is one of my favorite movies, and Will Farrell actually acts, and it makes it hard to watch his other stuff because I know how good he can be. (there are a few other dramatic movies he's in as well, and they are great as well).

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

I did, and Bizazedo played right into my hands!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options

While funny, those SNL bits are fifty seven years old

• Options

Shakespeare is hundreds of years old and still entertaining so I don't know what this means.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Shakespeare isn't still around stinkin up the joint

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

you monster

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Will Ferrell was really really good in the Lego Movie

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Shakespeare isn't still around stinkin up the joint

I'm sure Zombie Shakespeare didn't crawl out of his grave just to be ignored by you.

• Options

CURSE YOU, FLYMO! CURSE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

I could've seen Star Trek instead!!

• Options

Shakespeare is hundreds of years old and still entertaining so I don't know what this means.

Shakespeare is boring.

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Stranger Than Fiction is great, and really made me think more of Will Ferrell (I didn't dislike him before, but I'm not big on the particular shtick he uses in a lot of his solo films).

Having not actually seen most of her movies, I can't comment much on Melissa McCarthy. I know it looked to me like they went to the well of her being kind of a crude, socially-lacking woman a lot. This has also been the case with her SNL appearances. But I actually really like her in Bridesmaids. She's definitely one of the more oddball characters, but I don't think she's actually that over the top, and there's a semi-serious scene between her and Wiig that might be my favorite in the movie.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Stranger than Fiction is one of my favorite movies, and Will Farrell actually acts, and it makes it hard to watch his other stuff because I know how good he can be. (there are a few other dramatic movies he's in as well, and they are great as well).

Stranger Than Fiction is definitely a great flick, I always watch it when I see it on TV. I loved Old School as a kid when it came out. I loved Talladega Nights but its already not aged well.

Honestly, I usually enjoy Will. I tend to just avoid some of his movies though (Anchorman 2, Zoolander 2 but that's more because I didn't want to pay movie theater price to see it)

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Will Ferrell has been in a lot of movies I really like. Generally speaking, if he's working with Adam McKay, I'm probably going to love whatever they do, with Anchorman 2 as the exception.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I loved him and Mark Wahlberg in "The Other Guys".

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016

Shakespeare is boring.

Go, prick thy face, and over-red thy fear, Thou lily-liver’d boy.

Or my favourite, your virginity breeds mites, much like a cheese.

Muddypaws on
  • Options
    Muddypaws wrote: »

Shakespeare is boring.

BLEAH

I did Shakespeare for almost 10 years, I can't stomach it anymore.

• Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    Muddypaws wrote: »

Shakespeare is boring.

BLEAH

I did Shakespeare for almost 10 years, I can't stomach it anymore.

I re-read the plays every few years. They're like little word puzzles, soduku with a plot.

But yeah, if you did them solidly for 10 years I can see that getting a little tiresome.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    The thread title reminds me...
    Did anyone expect the whole ghost girl thing to be a joke? She was saying how great their ghost stories were and then she slid into the story of seeing her dead neighbor. I was totally expecting that McCarthy would sneak up behind them dressed as the neighbor or something.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

Ferrell is in a large group of comedic actors who I hate when left to their own devices more often than not, but are capable of some great stuff with a really firm director at the helm. Sandler and Jim Carrey where like a prototype of this for me...but more and more are following in the same mold every day.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular

Stranger Than Fiction is definitely a great flick, I always watch it when I see it on TV. I loved Old School as a kid when it came out. I loved Talladega Nights but its already not aged well.

Honestly, I usually enjoy Will. I tend to just avoid some of his movies though (Anchorman 2, Zoolander 2 but that's more because I didn't want to pay movie theater price to see it)

Not an original thought, and I'm gonna politicize a bit here, but I enjoy Stranger than Fiction less and less the more I consider its implications in terms of the stereotype of the successful woman, and particularly the successful woman writer. It's another example of how male writers, fictional or real, are lionized for their quirks, however deranged (looking at you, Bukowski) and the female writer is consistently enfeebled by her career choice. Like... the more I watch it the more upsetting it becomes that she is supposedly accomplished and acknowledged in her field and is "living the life of an eccentric, ill-kempt, chain-smoking hermit," to quote the writer whose article brought this to my attention initially. Real-life hot mess male authors get characterized as charmingly roguish, while women are routinely - even when their writing is lauded and lives long past their deaths - written off as emotional disasters to pity.

Woof, guess I have some opinions about that!

I hella loved the new Ghostbusters though. I'm toying with the idea of going as Holtzmann for Halloween.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular

Huzza! The sinister bizazedo cabal has struck again! Huzza!

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
This discussion has been closed.