Options

The thread for things with more/less than two legs (NSF ento/arachno/ophidiophobes)

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    You are correct on both counts!

Also, I love the beetle photo bombing the cicada shot

BugBoy on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Those beetles are fucking everywhere as soon as it starts getting humid.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Those beetles are fucking everywhere as soon as it starts getting humid.

Good Ole June Bug, bombing all your photos; they used to drive my roommate in Dallas up the wall when he went outside to smoke. As a fellow Houston native, he was regularly freaked out when they landed on him since the cockroaches down here have a habit of doing the same thing. They call them 'Palmetto bugs' in Florida, but that is a damned lie; they are cockroaches and they love to fly at your face and laugh at you as you flip out trying to swat them away.

• Options
    Oh, @BugBoy can you explain to me how palo verde beetles get into my damn house? The largest avenue we've got is the AC squirrel cage, so if they're getting in through there they'd have to get through the AC cover screens which are pretty narrow, but these beetles are like the size of a golf ball!

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    How bugs get into enclosed spaces is a mystery even I can't answer. They're very good at finding little entrances, I guess!

Or it's ancient insect magic, I like that one better.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Junebugs man. They're so inept. It'd be endearing if that ineptitude didn't manifest as flying right at my goddamn face.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i don't wanna clutter up H/A with yet another 'identify this insect' thread, but does anyone wanna try identifying this insect?

spotted on a friend's facebook:
    Can anyone identify this insect? Six legs, approx. 3mm, dark head, large reddish thorax or abdomen, no wings or markings that I could see. I find it very suspicious and wondering if I should be concerned that it was in my bed....
    13490708_10205979647441270_520992804762360957_o.jpg
    13458545_10205979662841655_7205770358818483563_o.jpg

doesn't quite look like a bedbug, doesn't quite look like a mite, so i'm out of guesses

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    That looks a lot like a deer tick to me, mate.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I would guess a spider.
    IANABL

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'ts hard to tell which kind but that is a tick for sure, in unengorged state.

No immideate reason for concern, but if possible have someone check out all your bits you can't get a good look at yourself. And return the favor to any members of the household, including animals.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'm not sure it's a tick but it could very well be a tick and better safe than having a tick on you, giving you diseases

FUCK TICKS

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'm not sure it's a tick but it could very well be a tick and better safe than having a tick on you, giving you diseases

FUCK TICKS

Conversely: do not fuck ticks.

see317 on
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »

FUCK TICKS

Conversely: do not fuck ticks.

Let's not get too kinkshamy in the bug thread.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    turns out it was a spider beetle!

huh, you learn some insect new every day (literally quite possible)

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    i did not know those existed, but looking back the legs are way off for it to be a tick.

muh bad, knowledge gained.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    As for Assassin bugs, only the subfamily known as "Kissing bugs" are vectors for chagas disease, given their bloodsucking habits. The rest you just have to watch out for because they can bite you.

P.S: They don't really bite you though since they have no jaws. Their mouthparts are just a proboscis that they stab things with, inject nasty venom and suck out the resulting liquid after the unlucky victim has been dissolved from the inside. The venom can kill most insects in less than 10 seconds (closer to 5 really).

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I found a cicada on my laundry today! I've never seen one so dark though, is it about to molt or is it just a different type than the bright green ones I normally see?
    13723886_1151250238231525_7937780428533965150_o.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Once they're fully winged like that, they're all grown up and won't molt again. Might be a different species of cicada from the ones you usually see, might be color variation.
    Either way, cool!

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Can someone tell me what kind of spider this is? Found in a home bathtub.

20160709_210330_zpslzie1jny.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Looks like a tegenaria species, but thats as close as i'm gonna get.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Isn't the abdomen a bit small for a tegenaria? Even for a male?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Could be, im going by banding and pedipalps.

Not even close to sure though

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Pedipalps is a fun word.

• Options
    I'm glad there are folks who know their spiders here! I keep meaning to learn them, but I never quite get around to it. I need to brush up on beetles too.

• Options
    Spoilers for the squeamish, I guess?
    So I was awoken this morning for some reason or another, and in my groggy state I felt the need to stick my finger in my ear. So, I did that, and about 2 seconds later heard a noise from a horror movie and a kind of pulsing pain. This repeated a couple times before I had the wherewithal to irrigate my ear, thinking maybe it was just waxy buildup. So I stagger to the bathroom, grab my bulb from the medicine cabinet, and a fucking earwig falls out of my ear into the sink. I irrigate my ear because I just have no idea if that thing laid eggs in there or not, and I ain't taking my goddamn chances, finish off by soaking it in isopropyl alcohol for a couple minutes, and try in vain to fall back to sleep for several hours. My whole life earwigs have squicked me out, and people have been all, "Don't worry, they just call them earwigs, they don't actually crawl into people's ears!" Yeah? Fuck you, people who say that!

• Options
    Are you sure it was an earwig and not a young cockroach?

Cockroaches are known to go into ears on occasion, but it would be unusual for an earwig

• Options
    I am a thousand million percent sure. Crescent moon tail.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Yo, bug nerds. Is anyone else reading The Sting of the Wild by Justin Schmidt?

I haven't even gotten to the part of the book about the Schmidt Pain Scale yet, and I'm loving it. Lots of really clearly-written stuff about the evolution and behavior and science of stinging insects. For example, I'd never realized that only females can sting, because the stinger is an evolved ovipositor. Lots of males have decoy stings (often their giant spiky dongs) and will pretend to sting with them when threatened. Most people and animals will instinctively recoil before they realize they weren't actually stung, giving the male time to escape.

As a result of this, some insect-eating birds can distinguish between male and female bees in flight, and prey exclusively on the males.

Bugs, man.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Bugs, man.

Indeed.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Yo, this article on Argentine Ants is fascinating.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/08/meet-the-worst-ants-in-the-world/

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
  • Options
    Yo, this article on Argentine Ants is fascinating.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/08/meet-the-worst-ants-in-the-world/

Hey, that's the author of Scatter, Adapt and Remember! No wonder it was so well-written. Good find.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I have to confess, multi legged critter thread.
    I killed a spider this morning.

I woke up, and it was stuck in one of my plastic ware containers (on the counter because I was lazy and didn't feel like doing dishes last night). The spider couldn't climb the edges, so it was stuck.
    To be honest, the initial inclination was to fill the container with water and flush the little bel shamharoth down the sink drain, then turn the disposal on, then maybe dump some bleach down there, just to be sure.
    I didn't though.

I tried to do the right thing. Stealed myself against the spider-terror that seems to be reflex anymore and carried the container outside at arms length. Set it on the edge of my porch and tipped it over. I expected little in the way of gratitude from the spider. Just wanted it to run off into the grass and maybe murder a few of the god damned crickets that have been keeping me up lately.
    Didn't even get that.
    The little bastard tried to make an end run around me and get back inside. I'm fairly certain it would have slammed the door on me and locked my ass out if it had the chance.
    Sorry, but that's not happening.
    Before I could stop and think, I had stepped on it. Reduced it to a tiny smear on the concrete.

I'm sorry tiny spider bro. I tried to give you a chance.

• Options
    I saw a praying mantis nomming on a cicada last night, but my phone couldn't get a very good picture in the low light and I didn't want to turn my flash on and startle the little darling.

• Options
    So, uh...hey, fellas. That's a really nice nest you've got going there above my kitchen window. But we gotta talk.

e9e2g5s94vz1.jpg

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    The fuck're those? They look like bats!

• Options
    Paper wasps. I caught those two pretty much head-on, so their wings are at an odd angle. For reference, that's about a three-inch pipe next to them, so they're pretty small. Sting like a bastard, though.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    are wasps important to any food chains?

I'm good with pretty much every bug out there, but wasps are just so shitty that I wouldn't mind seeing them disappearing forever.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    We have these fuckers in Arizona called tarantula hawks that are basically Fallout: New Vegas cazadores. I believe on this list they are the pepsis wasp.

Also, fuck them.

SchmidtIndex.gif

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    Foomy wrote: »
    are wasps important to any food chains?

I'm good with pretty much every bug out there, but wasps are just so shitty that I wouldn't mind seeing them disappearing forever.

Most of them are predators, so if you got rid of them you'd see an increase in whatever insects they prey on. Not a big deal for cicada killers or tarantula hawks, but smaller wasps eat a ton of flies, crickets and cockroaches, among other bugs. Some of them are important pollinators for specific plants, but that's rare. They make up a good portion of the diet of some of the larger songbirds.

But in North America, there are surprisingly few wasps who are interested in starting shit with you, or have venom that would cause a painful sting if they did. Pretty much paper wasps, yellowjackets, and hornets, and only if you're fucking with their nest or seriously violating their territory.

Most wasps are solitary parasitoids, just looking for a specific sort of bug so they can inject paralytic venom into its brainstem, lay eggs in it, and seal it off in an underground chamber so that it can be slowly devoured alive by wriggling larvae. You know: single moms.

And with some notable exceptions (tarantula hawks! fuck!) solitary wasps don't even have venom formulated to cause pain in mammals. So maybe we just kill the damn yellowjackets and leave the rest of them alone.

GDdCWMm.jpg