As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] Shoot birds, mine asteroids

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Welp, there goes my evening! Thanks! :)

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I didn't realize that adjacency bonuses were even a thing.

Fortunately I obsessively put all my upgrades of the same type next to each other anyway. I may swap my life support and stamina upgrades so that the former are next to the primary Life Support unit.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I've yet to find anything that doesn't die in seconds to a fully upgraded mining laser, so I just uninstalled all boltcaster bits and improved my grenades so they one-shot all the factory doors now.

That includes the Sentinel walkers.

I'd love an update that adds a supermassive Sentinel, something like the Cybran Experimental Cyberbot:

KSF1Kryl.jpg

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I've yet to find anything that doesn't die in seconds to a fully upgraded mining laser, so I just uninstalled all boltcaster bits and improved my grenades so they one-shot all the factory doors now.

I did wonder about that.

Might give it a try if I find a particularly aesthetically pleasing Multi-Tool that I want to switch to.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options

That includes the Sentinel walkers.

I'd love an update that adds a supermassive Sentinel, something like the Cybran Experimental Cyberbot:

KSF1Kryl.jpg

I ran into one last night that was at least 15ft tall. It knocked out half of my fully upgraded shields in a few seconds so I ran very, very fast and hid in my ship.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    If anyone hasn't tried linking their upgrades yet, I highly recommend it. It makes planning their installation way more fun, and if the jetpack/mining beam coolant ones are anything to go by, you get pretty big bonuses.

It also makes the layout and base component locations matter, so yet another thing to consider about multitools and ships.

Gosh I'm loving this.

Thing is, I see no point to doing this until I have my final weapon/ship. Once I have max slots, then I'll disassemble everything and rebuild for linked perfection, but I'm only going through that once.
    This is what I thought at first, too, but having tried it out I'm really liking fiddling about with it.

It also gives you the bonuses while you're playing, and keeps you hunting for a variety of resources. I think the idea was you'd constantly be rebuilding everything as you go through the game, since I gathered a bunch of stuff I normally don't during this rebuild.

Might not be for everyone, but I'm definitely planning to tear down every new ship/tool I get now.

• Options
    gjaustin wrote: »
    I ran into one last night that was at least 15ft tall. It knocked out half of my fully upgraded shields in a few seconds so I ran very, very fast and hid in my ship.
    The bipedal ones?
    So the way they work, as far as I can tell, is that they never spawn on their own. But if you let a scanner complete its alert circle (the icon above its head) after you've already triggered the quadrupedal ones, you'll get a bipedal drop and your 'wanted level' moves up to five.

Their laser lasts longer, and also disrupts your aim while it hits you. But at the same time, they only take a few seconds of lasering to die with an upgraded (S-T-TH-O) mining laser. I'd actually like to see more difficult Sentinels too, but it might be difficult on the PS4 crowd.

Also, if you take off after fighting a bipedal Sentinel, you have a decent chance of getting attacked by Sentinel starships, who aren't much more difficult than pirates in my estimation.

Once I've hit the core, I may very well see what happens if you head away from the core. The lore indicates the Sentinels come from outside the Outer Edge.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Bam! All three hyperdrive upgrades installed.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    gjaustin wrote: »
    The bipedal ones?
    So the way they work, as far as I can tell, is that they never spawn on their own. But if you let a scanner complete its alert circle (the icon above its head) after you've already triggered the quadrupedal ones, you'll get a bipedal drop and your 'wanted level' moves up to five.

Their laser lasts longer, and also disrupts your aim while it hits you. But at the same time, they only take a few seconds of lasering to die with an upgraded (S-T-TH-O) mining laser. I'd actually like to see more difficult Sentinels too, but it might be difficult on the PS4 crowd.

Also, if you take off after fighting a bipedal Sentinel, you have a decent chance of getting attacked by Sentinel starships, who aren't much more difficult than pirates in my estimation.

Once I've hit the core, I may very well see what happens if you head away from the core. The lore indicates the Sentinels come from outside the Outer Edge.

Yep, that's the Sentinel I was talking about. The other thing you mention also happened once I took off from the planet.

• Options
    1st attempt to jump to B class system, game crash.

2nd attempt, successful but the 1st planet is extreme heat... big gobs of radnox everywhere to mine, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I am cautiously optimistic that the patch may have done something about the missing tech glitch, I got the tau warp upgrade again and this time I could actually install it.

envoy1 on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I haven't been able to blow up the refinery stores with my mining laser for some reason. Like, they don't even take damage.

Maybe it was just a glitch on the one planet or something.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I haven't been able to blow up the refinery stores with my mining laser for some reason. Like, they don't even take damage.

You need to add a combat upgrade to the laser.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Someone did the math on adjacency bonuses and it's based on number of adjancensies per individual upgrade. So you should always make sure your strongest upgrade (Theta/Omega) is in the middle and gets all the connections.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    God damn it I can't seem to ever analyze all the fauna. I'm always missing just one. 11/12, 6/7, etc.

And yes I'm checking the skies and the water (on planets that have water).

What am I missing????????????????

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Flarne wrote: »
    Someone did the math on adjacency bonuses and it's based on number of adjancensies per individual upgrade. So you should always make sure your strongest upgrade (Theta/Omega) is in the middle and gets all the connections.

We should get some DLC that allows us to create our own multi-tool.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Deans wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

You need to add a combat upgrade to the laser.

Even though it can destroy locked doors and sentinels no problem?

EDIT: I was probably aiming at the wrong part or something. I got a new multitool, upgraded stuff how I wanted, and it destroys them just fine.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    With fauna scanning, most of the time you're missing a predator. Sometimes this is an underwater predator(!); in both cases, they're rarer, but show up around groups of herbivores.

• Options
    With fauna scanning, most of the time you're missing a predator. Sometimes this is an underwater predator(!); in both cases, they're rarer, but show up around groups of herbivores.

Thanks, I though that also. Maybe I'll check caves.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

I'm not sure I fully follow. So, do we want to have our upgrades in a straight line, with the strongest in the middle, or do we want to clump them together so they surround the thing they're modifying, or what?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    You need to shape them into whatever the first Greek symbol is. So if it's sigma, make an E shape around the installed device, T for tau, etc.

Don't actually do this.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    It tickles me pink that we don't know exactly how anything works.

Also, big critters deal you a lot of damage. But I was only trying to help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzkO_c1Q2U0

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    This planet is kind of amazing:

78756A3437D125CA1042771A9ABD2D67D3A8A354

6FAB1053DFF8A97473C7C6A0A73ADC1F07F971FA

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    So, still on my starting planet. Have large deposits of Heredium, Emiril, and Nickle, and flowers that give me . . . Platinum and Zinc. So odd.

It looks much like the winter themed planet someone mentioned above, with lots of cold, evergreen trees, and Christmas colors, so I called it Winter Wonderland.

There are two rather large creatures (both naturally docile) on this planet:
    A winged moose/goat hybrid (wings on front feet):
    zl1rd8ukk6rc.jpg

And this freaky thing, which I only come up to the knee of when standing right next to it.
    ulp6oaj9499p.jpg
    And yes, I am having fun. :biggrin:

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Is there a recipe for stacking sac venom? I just landed on a nice planet with tons of it around and my shields are good enough that I can get stung by them so as not to alert the sentinels either. The only problem is that I can't find a trade outpost anywhere so I need to fly back and forth to the space station to trade them in.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    envoy1 wrote: »
    Is there a recipe for stacking sac venom? I just landed on a nice planet with tons of it around and my shields are good enough that I can get stung by them so as not to alert the sentinels either. The only problem is that I can't find a trade outpost anywhere so I need to fly back and forth to the space station to trade them in.

Just keep flying around and you'll come across one. Often i find trade terminals just outside next to beacons. Don't just look for the landing pads like I was doing.

And u don't think you can stack sacs sadly.

Talking of, u realised I can make more simply mining Emeril than fishing for gtav balls a I get more pre slot for that than non stacked balls. 28million before i left for work.

• Options
    Big Classy wrote: »

Just keep flying around and you'll come across one. Often i find trade terminals just outside next to beacons. Don't just look for the landing pads like I was doing.

And u don't think you can stack sacs sadly.

Talking of, u realised I can make more simply mining Emeril than fishing for gtav balls a I get more pre slot for that than non stacked balls. 28million before i left for work.

I have giant orbs of Emeril on this planet, and huge (suggestive) columns of Heredium and Nickel. I figure I can keep myself stocked and hopefully find some downed ships, and then just hop from one to the next getting more upgrades. I haven't even left my starter planet, so I haven't given my ship any upgrades.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Daytime on Planet: Vortex Cube

srcRJSE.png

Had to blast a hole to seek shelter during a storm at night on the same planet since I was too far from any caves or my ship

5kprtva.jpg

Found the elusive T-Rex!

kGOAXD1.png

Sadly the shield damage on that shot is from just one attack from him, so I had to put him down shortly after...

Another daytime shot during a light shower:

d0sQHiT.jpg

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I am cautiously optimistic that the patch may have done something about the missing tech glitch, I got the tau warp upgrade again and this time I could actually install it.

I have started getting duplicates of the warp upgrades from multi-tool upgrade wall panels. I only ever got multi-tool tech from those before, so I suspect something changed.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Only 162,000 light years from the center. I can see it on the map!

• Options
    edited August 2016

That's awful design if so. Why make inventory a puzzle.

Slightly related, the fact that adjacency bonus is a thing and crashed ships have random upgrades in the way of using them is frustrating.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Slightly related, the fact that adjacency bonus is a thing and crashed ships have random upgrades in the way of using them is frustrating.

Why, you can dismantle everything on them?

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Can you make fauna extinct? Probably not.

• Options
    Aphostile wrote: »

Because you might not know how to make it yet, or if it's particularly expensive or takes something rare, you won't have the resources to move it.

And if you do have the resources to build everything in optimal order, then random upgrades are essentially pointless because you'll be dismantling them all anyway.

Not to mention crashed ships having random upgrades probably kept people from realizing adjacency was a thing in the first place.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »

Because you might not know how to make it yet, or if it's particularly expensive or takes something rare, you won't have the resources to move it.

And if you do have the resources to build everything in optimal order, then random upgrades are essentially pointless because you'll be dismantling them all anyway.

Not to mention crashed ships having random upgrades probably kept people from realizing adjacency was a thing in the first place.

I don't think it's a good idea to remove one of the few things in the game you have to actually think about.

• Options
    I think it's pretty great to get poorly placed upgrades in your ship that you can't afford or don't know how to build yet. You get to use them, but you also get to look forward to ripping them out and rebuilding them to your satisfaction.

That's my mindset, anyway. There's no endgame, as far as I know. It's always take what you have, make the most of it, and anticipate getting something more or making it better. It's a process, and one I happen to like.

All I can say is that my enjoyment of the "game" stuff went way up after realizing there was a point to tearing out the guts of my ships and trying to rebuild them.

• Options
    Every time I get a new multi-tool, I reformat it to work as efficiently for me as possible.

I enjoy when I realize I sold all my Titanium, so it's time to go provoke the space police, or think, huh, now how DO I make that?

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    It is true. Shooting Venom Sacs with a Wideshot Adapter does not alert the Sentinels.

Making almost a half a mil every 5 minutes.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    My save file is loading me below the ground on a water planet, so I fall until I hit the water level, and as far as I can tell the only way out is to drown.

But that just respawns me below the surface again.

Can't reach my ship because it's too high above the water level.

So now, what, I restart?

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Haha there was a bunch of mushrooms growing from a lump on the ground, and when I got close it turned out to be a living creature, just a bouncing bunch of mushrooms

This game is silly

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL