Options

The greatest anime films

• Options
    UlundillUlundill Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    Escaflowne(series not a movie, but still fantastic)

Princess Mononoke.

Im not really into anime but i loved these two.

Ulundill on
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I second Beyond the Clouds, and additionally put forth the creator's newest work, 5 Centimeters per Second.

Also, it saddens me that nobody has mentioned Origin yet. Friggin' love that movie. The story's a bit on the "eh?" side, but the visuals are excellent.

cheez on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Akira and Ghost in the Shell are two examples of great films that are far, far outclassed by the respective manga they are based off of.

gits manga got boring.

Sam on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is anime like cartoons from Japan?

Duki on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Duki wrote: »

cartoons that move

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    ege02 wrote: »

cartoons that move

:O

Anyway, I say best Japanese cartoon movie is Spirited Away. That was a good movie.

Duki on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    cheez wrote: »
    5 Centimeters per Second

I haven't paid attention to this in a while, but it's gorgeous. The story could be absolute crap and it would still make my top ten.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Ghost in the Shell was nice.

I will never forget those boobs.

ege02 on
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Frosteey wrote: »
    5 Centimeters per Second

I haven't paid attention to this in a while, but it's gorgeous. The story could be absolute crap and it would still make my top ten.

The story was absolute crap.

But that's just my opinion.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    J3p wrote: »
    Frosteey wrote: »
    5 Centimeters per Second

The story was absolute crap.

But that's just my opinion.

The second act was a little weak, but I thought the first and third were pretty good. Certainly not as strong of a story as Beyond the Clouds, but still a good watch. The backgrounds were absolutely amazing, though.

cheez on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am absolutely in love with Ghibli's character designs, and I wish the style was used more in contemporary anime.

Sami on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So this thread has a sufficient amout of Studio Ghibli love, but a shocking deficiency of My Neighbor Totoro love. Seriously, it's one of the studio's best. It's beautiful, the characters are deftly and realistically portrayed, and the plot is simple but powerful. Watch it & love it.

Also want to echo whoever said Millenium Actress. I remember that it made me cry a great deal, so it must have been pretty good!

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't have time to read through the thread, because I am at work, but I really really really love A Wind Named Amnesia.

I feel the same way.

Also I would like to add Kite to the list. It was short but seriously fucked up. The sad thing is my wife told me how great it was but wouldn't tell me what it was about. It was one of the animes that change how I viewed all animated shows from then on.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm not much of an anime fan myself, but I remember being blown away by IRIA and Armitage III when I first saw them back when Sci-Fi aired movies on Saturday mornings. I haven't had the chance to see either since then, so I can't really comment on how well they've held up.

Masonite on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    So this thread has a sufficient amout of Studio Ghibli love, but a shocking deficiency of My Neighbor Totoro love. Seriously, it's one of the studio's best. It's beautiful, the characters are deftly and realistically portrayed, and the plot is simple but powerful. Watch it & love it.

It is also on Roger Ebert's list of Great Movies.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I watched it and I got all the innocence and playfulness and capturing of youth etc etc, I thought it was a little too cutesy for it's own good. And then there was the screaming. Oh God, every three second lets SCREAM YELL AUIHGDAUIPSHGFAIPSHFDADHGFUIPAHDPAHDFS WE ARE CHILDREN AND CHILDREN SCREAMAO{HFUIASHFDUIASDHFUIPSDHFUIPSHGFDUI.

It just wouldn't stop.

And then there was that horrifying bathroom scene where the little girl's head expertly blocked her dad's cock.

edit: however this picture came from this movie and this picture is awesome

tonarinototorobusstopbybm2.jpg

Duki on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Do... do you not understand that it's perfectly normal for families to bathe together in Japan?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Do... do you not understand that it's perfectly normal for families to bathe together in Japan?

Yeah, and clowns are government employees.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I'm not Japanese dude. I reserve my right to be weirded out by their crazy foreign customs.

Duki on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I'm not Japanese dude. I reserve my right to be weirded out by their crazy foreign customs.

They also like mayonnaise. On everything.

Even their baths.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Even their baths.
    Which they all take together at once...

Falx on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Falx wrote: »

Even their baths.
    Which they all take together at once...
    Naked.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    So here's one that I don't think anyone mentioned yet: Metropolis.

That movie blew me away. it's amazing how they were able to re-capture the feel of older films like Astro Boy and able to add all these fantastic images of the cities and machines.
    Yes.
    Double yes.

I haven't seen anyone mention Armitage: III (The Third)

armitageiiipolymatrixbox.jpg

Armitage is the cyberpunk anime that got me into...well, anime! Also, Elizabeth Berkley and Keifer Sutherland voice the main characters. Great dubbing.

Edit: Make sure to stay away from the sequel, though. It is total garbage.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    There are two dubs of Armitage III, and I'm not sure that only one is on DVD.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    So here's one that I don't think anyone mentioned yet: Metropolis.

That movie blew me away. it's amazing how they were able to re-capture the feel of older films like Astro Boy and able to add all these fantastic images of the cities and machines.
    Yes.
    Double yes.

I haven't seen anyone mention Armitage: III (The Third)

armitageiiipolymatrixbox.jpg

Armitage is the cyberpunk anime that got me into...well, anime! Also, Elizabeth Berkley and Keifer Sutherland voice the main characters. Great dubbing.

Edit: Make sure to stay away from the sequel, though. It is total garbage.
    Masonite wrote: »
    I'm not much of an anime fan myself, but I remember being blown away by IRIA and Armitage III when I first saw them back when Sci-Fi aired movies on Saturday mornings. I haven't had the chance to see either since then, so I can't really comment on how well they've held up.

This is good news though. I'll have to see about finding a copy.

Masonite on
  • Options
    Prot3usProt3us Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Armitage was garbage IMO through and through. I hated everything about it. Everything. Also, I really need to watch My Neighbor Totoro.

Prot3us on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Armitage was alright, Appleseed was better.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Oh, is that what it is? Oh my. All of a sudden 4chan's /h/ doesn't seem so bad! I thought it was... you know... those poor girls. But it's just mayo! Good!

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Prot3us wrote: »
    Armitage was garbage IMO through and through. I hated everything about it. Everything. Also, I really need to watch My Neighbor Totoro.
    Ok, I wish you would give some reasoning, other than just calling it garbage and hating it.

Also, there are 2 dubs for Armitage? I don't have it on DVD. (only on VHS) Did they screw it up for the DVD?

Also, try to find an old copy of Tororo. The new-fangled DVD has horrible voice acting. (Dakota Fanning and her sister.)

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I watched it and I got all the innocence and playfulness and capturing of youth etc etc, I thought it was a little too cutesy for it's own good. And then there was the screaming. Oh God, every three second lets SCREAM YELL AUIHGDAUIPSHGFAIPSHFDADHGFUIPAHDPAHDFS WE ARE CHILDREN AND CHILDREN SCREAMAO{HFUIASHFDUIASDHFUIPSDHFUIPSHGFDUI.

It just wouldn't stop.

Put two young girls like that together, and it's bound to happen. Often. Every day I pick up my child from school, that's what it's like. So I guess it's realistic at least.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ok let's see:

Films by Ghibli? Check.
    Escaflowne? Check.
    Akira? Check.
    Grave of the Fireflies? Check.
    Steamboy? Check.

I think we've touched on them all.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok, I wish you would give some reasoning, other than just calling it garbage and hating it.

Also, there are 2 dubs for Armitage? I don't have it on DVD. (only on VHS) Did they screw it up for the DVD?

Also, try to find an old copy of Tororo. The new-fangled DVD has horrible voice acting. (Dakota Fanning and her sister.)

You shouldn't be watching the movie dubbed to begin with.

Masonite on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    I don't have time to read through the thread, because I am at work, but I really really really love A Wind Named Amnesia.

I feel the same way.

Also I would like to add Kite to the list. It was short but seriously fucked up. The sad thing is my wife told me how great it was but wouldn't tell me what it was about. It was one of the animes that change how I viewed all animated shows from then on.

The thing that blew my mind (heh, if you've seen Kite, then you'll note the metaphorical relevance) about that movie was that they managed to make a 13+ AnimeWorks version of it (which I have actually not seen yet). The 18+ Kitty version has graphic sex, pediphilia, near-incest, uber-violence including delayed-reaction bodily explosions, and more.

So... unedited version... not so much for the squeamish.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

When you are a little kid and only have a VHS copy of a movie, that's how you watch it.

Some people like to watch the dubbing even now, if it is done well enough.

No need to turn this into an anime purist thread. =/

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Based on a quick glance at ANN, there is an OAV, which had a standard dub cast, and a condensed "movie version" of the OAV (similar to Macross+) with the Hollywood dub cast. The movie version is also ONLY available in English, as that was the original voice track for that version.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    Ok let's see:

Films by Ghibli? Check.
    Escaflowne? Check.
    Akira? Check.
    Steamboy? Check.

Fireflies is Ghibli

Duki on
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mom2Kat wrote: »
    Blood the last vampire is very short but very very good, I wish there was more of this and that the box didn't lie to me, they listed the running time as including all extras so while the movie is just over half an hour long the box says something more like and hour and a half.

There is a fantastic series based on the movie.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    Ok let's see:

Films by Ghibli? Check.
    Escaflowne? Check.
    Akira? Check.
    Steamboy? Check.

You'll notice all these films shake off the cliches present in most anime shows. No purple haired girls that depend on the hero to bail them out of trouble. No 'ultimate attacks' by some some big boss that artificially inflate how deadly they are (this guy's so powerful, he can blow up the world omg). No glowing protagonists who fix all the problems at the end with a little deus ex machina. Well, maybe a little glowing in Nausicaa but you get the idea.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Might want to add Paprika and Perfect Blue

Oh, and Jin-Roh

Brolo on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

When you are a little kid and only have a VHS copy of a movie, that's how you watch it.

Some people like to watch the dubbing even now, if it is done well enough.

No need to turn this into an anime purist thread. =/

Hold up -- I'm confused. Is the Dakota Fanning dub very recent? I think that the dub I saw as a child was fairly satisfactory...

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89